Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Wiz posted:

On the leaders, the game actually explains that as well with the concept of autonomous drones. Does it all fit perfectly immersion-wise? No. But we'd basically have to make a new game entirely for Hive Minds to be 100% immersive. We're making some improvements in regards to events and traditions in 1.8, though.

Just scrap leaders for hive minds and remove the usual penalties for not having them. Make hive minds stronger in the early game but unable to match the bonuses normal empires get from influence and unity in the late game. This will produce more interesting narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Sadly Star Ruler 2 didn't sell enough to keep the company afloat. :smith:

Well actually you could fling planets around, but I dont think you could toss them into black holes. Could destroy the supermassive one at the heart of a galaxy tho, that makes for a pretty impressive bang.

I really wanted to like SR2, but the economy really annoyed me - all the chains of planets and so on - which was a shame. There were some really good ideas in there.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Being a psionic intelligence nestled in the minds of millions kind of makes it reasonable to handwave away some gameplay concepts;

Unity and Influence? You're working your will in certain sectors to get what you want, and your will is still something that can be tired out and inspired later.
Research and leaders? You cultivated over the last few years certain drones to have certain talents, allowing you to implant passing thoughts into them and letting them think it through. This works from researchers to military minds to planet governors, they are all specialized thinkers taking the burden off you.
Spending Influence on a farming edict? Prodding and moving the right pieces around to increase food for the next cycle still takes time and resources, that still need to be prepared and accounted for.

Hive minds are weird, try to not get hung up on the details.

Enjoy posted:

Just scrap leaders for hive minds and remove the usual penalties for not having them. Make hive minds stronger in the early game but unable to match the bonuses normal empires get from influence and unity in the late game. This will produce more interesting narrative.

No. I like hive minds growing semi-autonomous followers to do the thinking for them. Its strange, disturbing even, and adds to the charm of hive minds.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 6, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wiz why do I have to click buttons to make my hive mind do stuff, I should just be able to think really hard at the screen and project my will to my drones this isn't immersive at all refund please

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The only major problem going forward I see is unless they're getting something for it, Hive Minds are gonna be utter Trash early game without Private Colships. 350 minerals is an obscene early game expense.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I wish it was the other way around, energy credit-costing "Private" colony ships are default, with all their ups and downs, to represent the early race to the stars that your government would struggle to entirely suppress. Its not like the ethics chaos is nearly as painful as it was at launch.

Plus it might help seed mid-game problems and interesting factions sooner.

Minerals-costing colony ships can be woven into another existing early game colony focused technology and comes slightly cheaper, or has its own advantages (better shelter?), then it does now.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 6, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Enjoy posted:

This is actually an interesting idea. I'd play a mod that implemented this. Though I feel like it might have unintended consequences and unbalance some other systems. There are a lot of traits and techs and things that affect leaders, so just removing them from the game would be pretty awkward.

Maybe have it as a civic available to hive minds- all their leaders have two or three skill from the start and cost no influence, but have no traits and never grow. Maybe it'd gently caress a lot of stuff up, but it'd be a fun option to make things more immersive.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I'll admit i was kind of bummed when i tried a hive mind game and found they couldn't do psy or synth ascendance. I wanted my unified conciousness robot damnit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Enjoy posted:

I'd be fcool with this, either as the default with an edict to turn off or the standard with an edict to turn on. Or as an alternative hive mind government type.

Wiz posted:

On the leaders, the game actually explains that as well with the concept of autonomous drones. Does it all fit perfectly immersion-wise? No. But we'd basically have to make a new game entirely for Hive Minds to be 100% immersive. We're making some improvements in regards to events and traditions in 1.8, though.
I know the dev diary said there were going to be some flavour changes for research names too, but could it be extended to other game aspects? Opening the Edict panel to spend Influence on Farming Subsidies is a bit odd for a collective intelligence compared to, say, opening the Planetary Sub-Nexus panel to apply Attention to its Agricultural Lobe, or with the new AI hive mind, applying unused Cycles to the Mineral Extraction Algorithms.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
I thought I was nitpicky on my video games but holy crap, i never though I would hear someone complaining "mah immershun" on a galaxy painting game because their hive mind got influence by finding salt.
Its just a game mechanic man, relax.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This game is so loving garbage the UI and tutorial is all in English but my species speaks through gurgling noises?? Why the gently caress would the advisor speak english then... What a joke of a game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't the Geth and even the Borg also kinda have something like that? I didn't think twice of it, but I guess I am just not as dedicated to hivemind fidelity as some people.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

It's hardly nitpicking. Hive Minds were added as a feature of the DLC, you'd think some substantial mechanical and flavour changes to make them completely unique or have character would be there. By substantial I don't mean tooltips and civics.

turn off the TV posted:

This game is so loving garbage the UI and tutorial is all in English but my species speaks through gurgling noises?? Why the gently caress would the advisor speak english then... What a joke of a game.

Try installing a mod to make it playable?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can explain leaders in the same way that the Zerg and Tyranids have leaders.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Or Brain bugs. Or Xenomorph queens. Or (insert any other sci-fi hivemind with obvious leader organism here)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

You can explain leaders in the same way that the Zerg and Tyranids have leaders.

Funny you should mention Tyranids, whose synapse creatures are immortal. Not having to buy new leaders every 50 years would be one way to differentiate hive minds for sure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They're not immortal though - the Nids can just make backups of the leaders skills at the cost of having to kill it and spawn a new one. Would work in Stellaris too obviously - you have to pay the re-buy influence cost for your leader to save his current stats and if he ever dies out in the field you can just buy him at your old saved stats again.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Wiz, I play blorg all the time but still have no friends. This is incredibly immersion breaking and I demand a refund and a written apology.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

There should really be some unique hive mind dialogue

Also they should really add FE for the other ethoses

:11tea:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hive minds deserve a full-fledged, focused story pack, but I'm glad they're doing robots first.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Those things would be nice, but I don't consider them immersion breaking or super important.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

poster/empire modifier combo

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just forced a Hive Mind to cede me one of its planets and now all the pops on the planet are being purged. I'm a xenophile democracy and my purge policy is set to prohibited. Is this some weird thing with Hive Minds?

I don't really want to upset my factions by changing policies so I can forcibly resettle pops there (and then probably have to disallow migration too because it's low habitability for me), but I'll do it if I have to. Otherwise the hive mind will just resettle the planet and I'll have to take it all over again.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 7, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

LLSix posted:

I just forced a Hive Mind to cede me one of its planets and now all the pops on the planet are being purged. I'm a xenophile democracy and my purge policy is set to prohibited. Is this some weird thing with Hive Minds?

Hive Minded pops can't survive away from the Hive Mind

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

LLSix posted:

They can't survive cut off from the hive mind. The only way to save them is if you've unlocked gene modding, you can remove the hive mind trait to turn them into normal pops. If that's not an option make sure you transfer a pop or build a droid if you don't want to lose the colony when they get purged.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hive Mind pops don't survive outside of Hive Mind territory. You're going to purge all of them involuntarily. Move a regular pop there asap or you're going to lose that planet when it depopulates. Also if you've been going down the Biological Ascension path you can genemod them to no longer be Hive Minded and then all these problems will go away.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hey just so you're aware Hive Mind pops can't survive away from the Hive Mind

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LLSix posted:

I just forced a Hive Mind to cede me one of its planets and now all the pops on the planet are being purged.

It's a Hive Mind thing, their pops don't survive outside the hive.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok but why hasn't anybody mentioned that hive mind pops can't survive outside their hive mind?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Sadly Star Ruler 2 didn't sell enough to keep the company afloat. :smith:

Well actually you could fling planets around, but I dont think you could toss them into black holes. Could destroy the supermassive one at the heart of a galaxy tho, that makes for a pretty impressive bang.

Wasn't Star Ruler 2 the game where you had to fiddle around with leveling up planets by shipping certain goods around your empire? I felt it was really convoluted and it made me stop playing the game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Wiz why do I have to click buttons to make my hive mind do stuff, I should just be able to think really hard at the screen and project my will to my drones this isn't immersive at all refund please

They have to wait for Lt. Barclay to invent a holographic interface between mind and computer before they can implement this in the game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok but why hasn't anybody mentioned that hive mind pops can't survive outside their hive mind?

As I recall, the game mentions it in the tooltip for Hive Minds during empire creation. I'm still playing on 1.5.1, though, so not sure about later versions.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You gotta wonder exactly how that works, though. The entire planet is still full of drones. In what way does signing a treaty cut them off from the hive?

I guess you could say maybe the overmind is agreeing to cut the planet off. Like chopping off a hand.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

You gotta wonder exactly how that works, though. The entire planet is still full of drones. In what way does signing a treaty cut them off from the hive?

I guess you could say maybe the overmind is agreeing to cut the planet off. Like chopping off a hand.

the exact same way that a border across empty space stops a ship from flying through unless it's a wormhole

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Strudel Man posted:

In what way does signing a treaty cut them off from the hive?
A wizard did it. Space wizard.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Strudel Man posted:

It's more of a Yakuza finger thing

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Or Brain bugs. Or Xenomorph queens. Or (insert any other sci-fi hivemind with obvious leader organism here)
Bruce Sterling's "Swarm" had an excellent explanation that fits Stellaris hivemind leader drones quite well: individual intelligence is a very useful short-term tool, but is detrimental to the survival of the species in the long term. When a hive encounters a problem that is best solved via intelligence, it spawns a brain replete that is designed to be super-smart at dealing with that particular problem, but also comes with a number of biological failsafes (including a short lifespan) to prevent it from taking over the hive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ephemeron posted:

Bruce Sterling's "Swarm" had an excellent explanation that fits Stellaris hivemind leader drones quite well: individual intelligence is a very useful short-term tool, but is detrimental to the survival of the species in the long term. When a hive encounters a problem that is best solved via intelligence, it spawns a brain replete that is designed to be super-smart at dealing with that particular problem, but also comes with a number of biological failsafes (including a short lifespan) to prevent it from taking over the hive.
I've been looking to find this again for a couple of years now. Thanks!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
How long does it take hivemind pops to die off after being severed from the collective?
If it's longer than 10 minutes then individual brains still posses control of bodily functions like breathing.
If it's longer than a week then individual brains still posses enough base instincts to let them look for food and shelter.
If it's longer than a month then individual brains still posses enough skills or knowledge to grow or hunt for food, operate simple mechanisms like door handles and buttons, etc.

I'd say a hivemind species' brain is an atrophied but not yet vestigial organ, almost as capable of reason as non-hivemind species' brains. However, having never experienced individuality hivemind pops are totally unprepared after being cutoff. Left with no focus or ambition and no ability to relate to each other severed pops listlessly carry out their previous assignments until accident or circumstance stops them and then they just wait to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Would be kinda neat if they devolved to pre-sapience for later uplift as individuals.

• Locked thread