Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What are people actually getting for a good condition 32GB 5X on Swappa? It's saying "recently sold avg" is $221 which seems insane for a thing I bought (subsidized by Fi, sure, but still) for $250 16 months ago that is widely known to have a fatal flaw. Even if it's like, half that I'm really tempted to jump on a Pixel.

I'll give you 5 dollars.

E: American dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Hey nerds, I just got a Galaxy S8 from the local ATT peddler. I grabbed a Samsung SD card for it to store all my music on, but I've had a bit of an issue (I'm on the latest Ubuntu, btw). After adding about 2.5G worth of directories and files (it seems to be a file-limit problem) it just shits a brick when you try to add anything else. Any other Linux nerds have this issue and have found a way around it?

edit: I'm pretty sure this is an mtp issue, but if rhythmbox or something works better than direct transfer, that'd be cool.

cerror fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 7, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

cerror posted:

Hey nerds, I just got a Galaxy S8 from the local ATT peddler. I grabbed a Samsung SD card for it to store all my music on, but I've had a bit of an issue (I'm on the latest Ubuntu, btw). After adding about 2.5G worth of directories and files (it seems to be a file-limit problem) it just shits a brick when you try to add anything else. Any other Linux nerds have this issue and have found a way around it?

edit: I'm pretty sure this is an mtp issue, but if rhythmbox or something works better than direct transfer, that'd be cool.

Have you tried restarting your phone? (Seriously. MTP is weird.)

Also is the SD card legit (or at least, can you fill it up with random data and still read it all off, in a card reader)? Counterfeit SD cards are kind of a problem, and are a major factor in companies like Google and Apple refusing to put SD card slots on their phone?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Taffer posted:

Can you buy one there if you don't have a Verizon plan? My gf wants a pixel but (naturally) doesn't want Verizon.

No, you have to at least pay $40 for their cheapest pre-paid plan.

Yes, I know this from experience when Pixels were impossible to find 2 months ago and Verizon was the only place w/ them in stock. I wasn't thrilled about it but the phone is fuckin amazing so whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Pixel comes with a free google headset thing. I still think it costs too much for me. My upper limit on phones is now $300. I paid $200 for my Nexus 6 and it's been a trooper.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I prefer disabling it because I'm not happy with the speed of any of the remapping apps and, even then, 99% of the time I hit it, it's by accident anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Calaveron posted:

I LITERALLY bought mine last week GOD loving DAMMIT

Yeah yeah tell me about it. Dr. FAUXTON bought hers a week before they started throwing the Home in for free.

I'm just gonna get a Home with my contact lens rebate. My mother bought a pixel and got a Home for free with it, so after comparing the two I'm pretty well sold. The Echo was good when it was the frontrunner and the gimmicks were fresh but we don't have a Fire and the stuff we usually use Amazon for (shopping, Kindle books) don't need the Echo to function. The stuff we use the Echo mainly for (music, a shopping list) are done just as well on the Home except the Alexa app has an annoying delay on startup so I'll probably just put the Alexa out in the kitchen for music while cooking/cleaning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know what feature I wish Google would add to the Pixel 2? 27watt charging.

Fully utilizing 9v/3A for charging would cut down total charge times pretty drastically, especially when the phone is the most drained where you would use that profile. It would finally make it competitive with QC 3.0 when it comes to low battery charge times.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
More Pixel 2 (non-XL) leaks:

stereo front facing speakers HYPE

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nimper posted:

More Pixel 2 (non-XL) leaks:

stereo front facing speakers HYPE

These pictures also came with some very brief impressions:

quote:

Our tipster reports that there's no 3.5mm headphone jack (sigh!), but the phone definitely looks like it has stereo speakers on the front. The in-hand feel was reportedly better than the original Pixel, sleek and elegant.

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_live_photo_gives_us_a_closer_look_at_the_front_and_back-news-26619.php

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

People really want front facing stereo speakers that bad?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

(Nexus 6P...does not have stereo front facing speakers)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thermopyle posted:

It doesn't? Could have fooled me.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
pardon my ignorance here, but why are stereo speakers such a big deal? The speakers are like 6 inches apart, surely the stereo can't matter?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thermopyle posted:

At first I thought this was another Pixel 2 render, then I realized that the bezels are too small. :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do I fix autocorrect so that it'll autocorrect the right thing again? I'm just using the standard keyboard and i used to just type im and have it autocorrect to I'm but i over rode it enough times without meaning to that in became the standard correction. I've deleted that but I'm not exactly sure how I get it correcting back to I'm

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wacky Delly posted:

It doesn't? Could have fooled me.

It depends on if you want to call an earpiece a speaker. They're different volumes.

Regardless, that sentence you quoted was supposed to end with "that sounds good".

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Google Butt posted:

People really want front facing stereo speakers that bad?

Right? This is like 10 on the top 10 list of things i need out of a phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

The one in my hand says you're wrong

is this a weird troll?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'll be honest, the front facing speakers on the 6P made it easier to hear whatever compared to my new-to-me pixel, but it's not like there was ever a case to be made for fidelity or anything. It's just a case of being a bit louder and facing me, rather than off to one side. Literally everything else about the Pixel makes up for it though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Farchanter posted:

pardon my ignorance here, but why are stereo speakers such a big deal? The speakers are like 6 inches apart, surely the stereo can't matter?

The bigger thing is that a forward facing speaker will sound louder than a downward firing speaker at the same volume, because it's pointed right at you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

The bigger thing is that a forward facing speaker will sound louder than a downward firing speaker at the same volume, because it's pointed right at you.

Yep, this. Having stereo isn't a big deal, but (1) facing forward and (2) having two speakers likely meaning louder max volume, are both nice to have. Not a huge deal, but dumb not to have if there's space on the phone.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Well I'm sold, gently caress the 3.5mm jack, I'm all about slightly louder speakers on my phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nimper posted:

The one in my hand says you're wrong

is this a weird troll?

Thermopyle posted:

It depends on if you want to call an earpiece a speaker. They're different volumes.

Regardless, that sentence you quoted was supposed to end with "that sounds good".

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Moto X 2014 (which I also owned) had the appearance of two speakers but one was always just an earpiece. Perhaps you're getting confused with that?

I just tested my 6P's speakers and they were equally loud when playing music.

edit:

And it sounded good - what is your point of comparison when saying they don't sound good?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That Pixel deal is awful tempting. My dad's years old Samsung Galaxy S2 or whatever it was got its screen cracked, so I'm considering selling him my less-than-a-year-old Nexus 6P to put towards a 128GB Pixel XL for myself. Especially since he'll buy another Samsung otherwise.

Only thing is I don't know if I can sell my own father a phone that might start bootlooping in a few months in good conscience.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nimper posted:

The Moto X 2014 (which I also owned) had the appearance of two speakers but one was always just an earpiece. Perhaps you're getting confused with that?

I just tested my 6P's speakers and they were equally loud when playing music.

edit:

And it sounded good - what is your point of comparison when saying they don't sound good?

No, I'm not getting confused, I use a 6P so I'm well aware.

There's tons of threads all over the internet about them not being equal volume, and there's also lots of stuff about them not sounding as good as HTC stuff.

Regardless, my point was that getting excited about two speaker cutouts is dumb because it doesn't mean anything.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

No, I'm not getting confused, I use a 6P so I'm well aware.
Okay

quote:

There's tons of threads all over the internet about them not being equal volume
That's not consistent with calling one speaker only an earpiece, and many of those folks indicated that they got an RMA because of the unequal speaker volumes.

quote:

and there's also lots of stuff about them not sounding as good as HTC stuff.
Sure, HTC is better on this front. I'm not claiming that 6P speakers are spectacular quality but they're pretty good.

quote:

Regardless, my point was that getting excited about two speaker cutouts is dumb because it doesn't mean anything.
HTC is the OEM on the Pixel 2 so we'll just have to wait and see how good it turns out. I have high expectations because obviously Google won't gently caress this up, right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Christ.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You ban headphone jack chat and this is what happens, man. I don't know what to tell you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

anroid lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

headphone chat wouldn't exist if they weren't removing headphone jacks for fake stereo cell phone speakers, i'm sorry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can anyone recommend a battery case for a Moto G4? My wife hates how short smartphone battery life is compared to old school cellphones, so I'm thinking of surprising her with a battery case.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So my G5+ finally arrived and holy poo poo you don't realise how utterly awful Touchwiz is until you get out do you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

So my G5+ finally arrived and holy poo poo you don't realise how utterly awful Touchwiz is until you get out do you.

New thread title?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RVProfootballer posted:

New thread title?

Seconded, or as much as can fit

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

It hasn't been called TouchWiz in some time, it's StockholmUI.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I've been using a Note 3 for more than 3 years now, and I was thinking of upgrading. Shame that the Pixel 2 has no headphone jack.

Is a Pixel 1 XL still big enough an upgrade to be worth it? Or should just I wait for the Note 8?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've been using a Note 3 for more than 3 years now, and I was thinking of upgrading. Shame that the Pixel 2 has no headphone jack.

Is a Pixel 1 XL still big enough an upgrade to be worth it? Or should just I wait for the Note 8?

The SD800 is outclassed even by the Snapdragon 625 now.

The pixel has a clean version of Android with no third party or carrier bloat, and the SD821 is basically twice as powerful as the 800 in single and multicore, and the gpu can still handle anything currently out.
And you're probably looking at a 50% battery life increase- factoring in the efficiencies gained from a 28-14nm die shrink, the switch to big/little architecture, and software optimizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo_Crimson posted:

I went from a Note 3 (to a Note 7) to a Pixel XL. I think it's definitely worth it even today, especially if you get a good deal on it.