Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Once you know what you're doing, Don't Starve is more exploration and building than survival. The only things keeping the survival element in are the increasingly large dog attacks & occassional boss monster attacks.

The expansions try to bring the survival back by nerfing easy strategies(:rip: winter bunny hoarding & letting dishes sit in crock pots forever) and adding new problems to prepare for(summer heat, storms & volcanoes in Shipwrecked, etc), but they never manage to make it the focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I am enjoying the new maps in TLD, and I felt like the initial run from the crash site to Milton was a really fantastic harrowing experience, but godDAMN the dialog in the cutscenes is terrible and cliche.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After watching Alive for the first time (I read the book as a kid), I wouldn't mind a combination of TLD and The Forest.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I am enjoying the new maps in TLD, and I felt like the initial run from the crash site to Milton was a really fantastic harrowing experience, but godDAMN the dialog in the cutscenes is terrible and cliche.

Typical response from a MAINLANDER and an OUTSIDER.

Ugh.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Anyone know if there are plans to improve the player model? I thought it was just a placeholder, because yikes...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There's still a lot of awkward little UI things, and I wish there was an option to go back to the obviously-meant-for-PC menus instead of the obviously-meant-for-consoles menus.

It's also weird that you have to prepare rose hips now, but I guess it was the easiest way for them to shove in a crafting menu tutorial?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Love to have to escape out of the fire menu to eat / drink what i made, still have to guess whether the fire will go out mid-cook, real good design there guys. Huge improvement.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I'm surprised that cleaning fish or dressing game isn't a minigame of sorts. Same with building a fire.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Trivia posted:

I'm surprised that cleaning fish or dressing game isn't a minigame of sorts. Same with building a fire.

That would be terrible to go through every dang time I'd have to do it.

Also, there appears to be a bug regarding bears right now- I recently was playing sandbox in the Coastal Highway and ran into a bear just north of the fishing camp. It caught me, and then the game froze at a view of the bear's feet, with weather and bear sounds still playing. I couldn't move, open my inventory, or even pause the game- I had to force quit. Looking on the technical message boards this seems to be a common bug right now, so probably playing The Hunted challenges right now isn't possible.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

somewhat related: is it worth dinking around in chapter 1 to build up some resources before going forward? there's clearly an opportunity to get a couple days' life support and a decent bit of crafting resources from the local area.

This is just for you, but I'll spoiler it all the same (it's not really a big spoiler, though): you have to climb out of town at the end of episode 1, and a fairly big change made to climbing some patches ago is that you can no longer do that while encumbered. So in other words, you're not leaving town and progressing to the next part of the story with more than 30kgs on you. And once you reach episode 2, I don't think there's a way to go back to Milton (yet). So no, don't worry about trying to ransack the town and taking everything not nailed down.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Tar_Squid posted:

That would be terrible to go through every dang time I'd have to do it.

Also, there appears to be a bug regarding bears right now- I recently was playing sandbox in the Coastal Highway and ran into a bear just north of the fishing camp. It caught me, and then the game froze at a view of the bear's feet, with weather and bear sounds still playing. I couldn't move, open my inventory, or even pause the game- I had to force quit. Looking on the technical message boards this seems to be a common bug right now, so probably playing The Hunted challenges right now isn't possible.

I suppose, but drat there's gotta be something more entertaining than seeing a little circle fill up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Drunk in Space posted:

This is just for you, but I'll spoiler it all the same (it's not really a big spoiler, though): you have to climb out of town at the end of episode 1, and a fairly big change made to climbing some patches ago is that you can no longer do that while encumbered. So in other words, you're not leaving town and progressing to the next part of the story with more than 30kgs on you. And once you reach episode 2, I don't think there's a way to go back to Milton (yet). So no, don't worry about trying to ransack the town and taking everything not nailed down.

cool, good tip, but that isn't really what i was trying to ask. more specifically, there's a couple of tools and a lot of game around, and i was wondering if it was worth aggressively hunting the rabbits to cure the hides and gut in addition to the no-brainer of cooking up a fair bit of meat from them. also, there's a clear opportunity to get a good collection of hardwood to go with books for fire fuel and starting respectively. i was more wondering, if i take the time to do that - ie, get a number of cured pelts and guts for future crafting, a good 12-16 hours of hardwood fuel, and like 7k calories in edible food, etc, is the game going to have me fall down a ravine and lose all that poo poo immediately or will it actually be a worthwhile activity to get ahead of the 'gently caress' feeling you get when you look at your pack every time in games like this

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Again, spoilers: I'm a fair ways into episode 2 and I still don't have any blueprints to make stuff using animal hides, although I think I'm just starting to hit that part of the game now (it's gated behind story stuff): there's an NPC who gives you tasks to hunt and gather materials for making clothes and such, so presumably this will unlock deerhide jackets and suchlike. However these are specific tasks associated with marked areas on the map (i.e. "go to this place and hunt some deer and bring me back their guts and skin"), so for all I know, you might have to do that anyway to make the blueprints trigger properly, regardless of whether you already have a bunch of cured hides ready to go.

Personally, not knowing what the journey out of Milton was going to be like, I ditched all my hides and loaded up mainly on food and fuel, but tbh it's not a particularly long journey and not especially precarious either. There's no real "haha gently caress you you're dead" moments, and while you obviously have to be a bit careful with the climbing and mountaineering stuff, as well as the ever-present wolves and unpredictable weather, it's not really very hard to get to the next area. So yeah, I guess you could try to get ahead of the crafting curve by getting the materials now (assuming there are no problems with triggers), but it'll a tight fit with the 30kg limit and the clothes on your back.

Personally, I don't think it is particularly worthwhile. I mean, it's basically a case of spending time to do it now, or spending time on it later: you spend time either way (arguably less later on because you have more tools to hunt and gather stuff with). The next area will have everything you need in abundance, so I guess it's your choice which way you want to go, really. You mentioned books, for example: those things in particular seem to be everywhere now. There's tons of them around, so you're not going to miss not taking the 100 or so in Milton. You should take a few, though: they burn nice.

EDIT: after doing a bunch of this NPC's dumb fetch quests, I still haven't unlocked any new clothing blueprints for the animal hides, so gently caress knows when you can actually use that stuff

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 4, 2017

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

There's still a lot of awkward little UI things, and I wish there was an option to go back to the obviously-meant-for-PC menus instead of the obviously-meant-for-consoles menus.

It's also weird that you have to prepare rose hips now, but I guess it was the easiest way for them to shove in a crafting menu tutorial?

I'll have to double check but I think I remember noticing that the prepared rosehips weigh less then the 24 individual rosehips need to craft it. While not huge, having that weight reduction is nice.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Are the maps in story mode different from survival? I got to the second chapter and Mystery Lake looks a lot different on the map, but not sure if the actual space is the same.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Man I really wanted to like TLD, I did. But episode 2 has really lost me.

The first two missions of the episode 2 I thought were great, each giving you a general destination and then leaving you to find your way there and back while worrying about your own resources. The plot thing of the aurora coming out at night and having to avoid wolf packs by standing in the suddenly working flood lamps I actually thought was pretty cool. So I was jamming on this episode through all of that.

But then you get back to the npc after those missions, a full ~3 hours since episode 2 starts and maybe 10 hours since you left the tutorial in episode 1, and suddenly it's tutorial time again. Worse, it's tutorials that cover either stuff you figured out on your own hours ago, or stuff the game already put into a tutorial in the first loving episode.

Are you seriously asking me to do this? Repair clothing, like I haven't had to keep my gear repaired with the dozen sewing kits already provided to me. Harvest deer, like I haven't had a rifle for two hours of play and exiting the building where you get it puts you directly in front of a deer herd (or, you know, looked at any of the randomly spawned deer corpses that you could harvest from). Fishing I could sort of see the point of sticking in a main mission, but even basic exploration will walk you past the fishing huts multiple times before this point and they even helpfully put a hunting knife next to the very first fishing hole you could reach. Then you're expected to go collect the various plant resources as if the game had not already made you collect rosehips and use them 10 minutes into the game, before letting you out of the opening area.

Not to mention that of those tasks, two of them are "collect (x) kg of (resource) and put it in this box", which is exactly what you had to do, twice, in the first episode. So now I'm legitimately concerned that maybe they don't have the variety of content for these episodes that you would expect for a story-based survival game, if we are already padding time like this.

I think the problem, for me anyway, is that they eased up of the difficulty of playing too much and that makes the pacing problems more obvious. Both episodes seem to shower you with a lot more food and clothing then I remember. There's always one fire near the npcs that never goes out. I remember doing the final hike to end episode 1 wondering if I'd brought enough supplies for the trip (I had) before running into a camp with food and firewood placed helpfully on the linear path you were following. Once I got established in the little town in episode 1 I've always been on top of all my survival needs ever since, and never had the sense that I was walking a tightrope balancing my various meters like the best parts of survival mode. Without having to worry about food, water, or wildlife, the game is essentially just a very, very thin story, too spread out between a lot of walking.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So for the long dark I started up a sandbox game in Mystery Lake. I have a rifle, a hunting knife and a hatchet but my clothes suck pretty badly. Should I just try to sit tight, hunt some animals and make some proper gear? The clothes I have right now are pretty lovely but I'm running out of food and I'm not sure how the long term survival stuff works, this sapling I left on the floor takes 6 days to dry and I've only survived 4 so far.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
How much have you been exploring? In the first stages of a new game, it's worth exploring as much as you can and raiding buildings for better clothes & more food.

Eventually you'll want to transition to animal hide clothes, but the hides take several days to cure & you'll need a lot to fully clothe yourself, so it's not a good short-term solution.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Demiurge4 posted:

So for the long dark I started up a sandbox game in Mystery Lake. I have a rifle, a hunting knife and a hatchet but my clothes suck pretty badly. Should I just try to sit tight, hunt some animals and make some proper gear? The clothes I have right now are pretty lovely but I'm running out of food and I'm not sure how the long term survival stuff works, this sapling I left on the floor takes 6 days to dry and I've only survived 4 so far.

If you have a rifle already, go out and try to hunt a deer or a couple wolves and grab the meat and skins. The closer to your current base, the better. If it's cold out, then bring some firewood and start a fire next to the animal to keep you warm while you harvest it.

Meat will decay over time, but will do so slower inside a container (and slower still in a container that is outside). Additionally, cooking food will add 50% to it's condition, so cooking raw meat that's anywhere from 50%-100% will result in 100% quality cooked meat. A single deer will cover you for multiple days if you store the meat properly.

Clothing crafted from skins is a much longer term goal. It's not just the curing of the leathers - it takes something like 12 hours to actually craft the piece at a table. You can spread that out but it's realistically 2-3 days to make the pieces and you need to be fed and watered during that too. What you will want to do is explore the various buildings in mystery lake while the hides are curing and stockpile resources for the days it'll take to make the stuff. Usually you will pick up enough regular clothing to be functional until you can get the crafted set finished.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, go up and down the rail line and all around the lake itself. Search every building you find, there's almost always a few clothing items to be found, and even if not there are always pillows, old bedrolls, curtains, and chairs that can be broken down into cloth to repair the clothing you already have. No sewing kit? A fishing tackle can be used in replacement of a sewing kit. No I don't know how come a hook or line by itself isn't good enough. The two easiest clothing items to make are the deerskin boots and the rabbitskin mittens, both of which are also very good for their respective classes.
My advice would be to scavenge some deer carcasses and let the guts air dry at your base while you continue to explore, and when they're cured use them to make three or four snares. In Mystery Lake pretty much any main base isn't far from a rabbit meadow, and leaving snares there is an easy way to get some (relatively crappy) meat, gut, and rabbit hides. And if you do manage to kill a deer, wolf, or somehow a bear- you really should start a fire next to it while you harvest. Not only to keep it from freezing, and to keep away wolves, but also because Mystery Lake is one of those maps where it can go from clear day to sudden blizzard easily.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'm having real trouble with wolves, none of the poo poo that used to scare them off seems to be working and even when I do manage to fight them off or scare them off they return near instantly. Is there a trick to them or are they just bullshit?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
They're bullshit, but you can try making a torch and waving it about, or throwing lit flares.

Or, keep some rabbit gut on you and use that as bait when they get too close.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TomViolence posted:

I'm having real trouble with wolves, none of the poo poo that used to scare them off seems to be working and even when I do manage to fight them off or scare them off they return near instantly. Is there a trick to them or are they just bullshit?
they're total bullshit but there are a few things that can help if you know about it:

If they are staring at you, growling and stalking, just ignore them and walk away. They won't charge unless they get within around 25 feet and they'll stalk at 40 range or so just walk at an angle or away from them. You'll eventually get outside their "leash" range and they'll give up.

There isn't any reason to "scare" them out of stalking mode; they won't attack unless provoked by walking towards them. DO NOT aim a weapon at them if they are in stalk mode, they will immediately charge because they are actually psychic wolves and know exactly what weapons are (including the flare pistol and bow).

If they do bark then charge you, that's when you can scare them off with fire / flare which will interrupt the charge if it's fire-based and they are far enough away. Watch out, they WILL juke when you aim.

If they charge, you can also start sprinting away and then hit I think either 3 or 4 you'll drop meat or gut if you're carrying it. They'll sometimes just go for the meat.

Meiteron posted:

Man I really wanted to like TLD, I did. But episode 2 has really lost me.

The first two missions of the episode 2 I thought were great, each giving you a general destination and then leaving you to find your way there and back while worrying about your own resources. The plot thing of the aurora coming out at night and having to avoid wolf packs by standing in the suddenly working flood lamps I actually thought was pretty cool. So I was jamming on this episode through all of that.

But then you get back to the npc after those missions, a full ~3 hours since episode 2 starts and maybe 10 hours since you left the tutorial in episode 1, and suddenly it's tutorial time again. Worse, it's tutorials that cover either stuff you figured out on your own hours ago, or stuff the game already put into a tutorial in the first loving episode.

Are you seriously asking me to do this? Repair clothing, like I haven't had to keep my gear repaired with the dozen sewing kits already provided to me. Harvest deer, like I haven't had a rifle for two hours of play and exiting the building where you get it puts you directly in front of a deer herd (or, you know, looked at any of the randomly spawned deer corpses that you could harvest from). Fishing I could sort of see the point of sticking in a main mission, but even basic exploration will walk you past the fishing huts multiple times before this point and they even helpfully put a hunting knife next to the very first fishing hole you could reach. Then you're expected to go collect the various plant resources as if the game had not already made you collect rosehips and use them 10 minutes into the game, before letting you out of the opening area.

Not to mention that of those tasks, two of them are "collect (x) kg of (resource) and put it in this box", which is exactly what you had to do, twice, in the first episode. So now I'm legitimately concerned that maybe they don't have the variety of content for these episodes that you would expect for a story-based survival game, if we are already padding time like this.

I think the problem, for me anyway, is that they eased up of the difficulty of playing too much and that makes the pacing problems more obvious. Both episodes seem to shower you with a lot more food and clothing then I remember. There's always one fire near the npcs that never goes out. I remember doing the final hike to end episode 1 wondering if I'd brought enough supplies for the trip (I had) before running into a camp with food and firewood placed helpfully on the linear path you were following. Once I got established in the little town in episode 1 I've always been on top of all my survival needs ever since, and never had the sense that I was walking a tightrope balancing my various meters like the best parts of survival mode. Without having to worry about food, water, or wildlife, the game is essentially just a very, very thin story, too spread out between a lot of walking.
This has been my experience with wintermute so far as well, I accidentally selected the "plants" version after the repair coat one and not only is the amount to be gathered ridiculous (8 old man's beard?!) but it doesn't suggest where to go and it doesn't seem to be tracking my plant pickups properly. I had cleaned out the beard location at the lake before I started the quest and of course those don't count either.

I also have way, way more food/fuel/material than I can ever use so it's now a combo of tedious + boring to do it. Only a couple chapters are complete so I'll probably just come back to it once the others are released. At least in chapter 2 there's a box outside the door you can use to store stuff!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 7, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm only partway through episode 1, but man the pacing is losing me. Not even in a 'I'm familiar with the game when this is intended for newbies' sense, but in a 'this is lovely pacing' sense.

The segment between the ravine and the church takes too long for you to be able to sleep again. By the time I reached the first set of cars my energy was critically low, and judging by the fact that the sleeping tooltip didn't show up until I took a nap in the cabin on a hill later, the game doesn't expect you to sleep in those cars in the first place. I was concerned I missed a bedroll somewhere, but no, you just don't get one until the gas station.

My sense of progression has hit a brick wall with this Grey Mother stuff, since she's been wanting a string of tedious fetch quests and not telling me anything new in exchange. Part of that is that the dialogue seems like it was written by a non-writer(and desperately needed an editing pass or two), but even then it's stupid to have Grey Mother give you slight variations on the same info three times. And I managed to finish her food quest by robbing everything in town except the gas station, which made the moral choice there laughable. Hopefully things pick up again once I escape this town.

On the bright side, this is the first time in a long while where I've felt like food was actually a limiting factor. Then again I can't aim stones to save my life. :v:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I honestly don't understand why they wanted so much to do a linear story mode. The game is perfect as a sand box, they could have just added a story that unfolds as you explore the world.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

I honestly don't understand why they wanted so much to do a linear story mode. The game is perfect as a sand box, they could have just added a story that unfolds as you explore the world.

Yeah, I think with carefully placed notes and things, we could have found Astrid's trail ourselves through natural exploration and just following the roads. They could have even kept the climbing rope as the only way out... the path up to the climbing area was pretty clear, and a map clue or two could have made it more obvious. Hell, they could have had Grey Mother frozen to death, still holding her gun, with a wandered shot dead on the floor in front of her holding a sketched map showing how he climbed in from Mystery Lake searching for help.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Like a survival Myst with, well, survival gameplay instead of puzzles. How much story you unfold depends on how much you explore.

Oh well, It's not like I have to play the story mode.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 7, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I agree with the general tone about story mode. The writing is generic and hokey, and some of the voice acting is just bad. I don't mind playing through it and I plan to continue just to say I've done it.

Is Milton in the base game? I don't remember it but I haven't explored most of the new zones fully.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'll shut up after this post but it's just such a lost opportunity, yknow? The sandbox had AMAZING atmosphere and they just couldn't pull off a story to match it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BrianRx posted:

Anyone know if there are plans to improve the player model? I thought it was just a placeholder, because yikes...

He looks like the main character from Firewatch and I choose to think that they are the same person, where TLD is him after he gets back with his wife and then breaks up again to fly plans for a living.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I quit on the old lady. This is like something from a Bethesda game or a JRPG, and the fruity dialogue is killing me. I feel like it's ruining the game for me, gonna buy more episodes if they keep adding more areas though. I expected a more dry sort of tone, it's survival after all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like there just should've been a lesser emphasis on walking around and doing busywork for NPC's. The actual surviving isn't very hard when the game throws huge amounts of supplies in your way, and repair basically doesn't fail anymore. They probably balance it out with supercharged wolves. I had a moment after leaving Camp Office where three wolves were camping out in front of it and all attacked me in turn.

The story and dialogue is what it is, but I have been/am genuinely interested in the areas and the catastrophe that happened. It's just being drowned under the mechanics of the story mode which feel like a slog.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Haifisch, about the bedroll- when you went in the cave between the ravine and the road didn't you spot the corpse with a bedroll beside it? It was in the very early area of the cave- I made a fire as soon as I got there and took the free torch out of it, so it was easy to see.

I'm pretty terrible with the rock throwing as well, but once you have a hatchet I just walked up to the wolves and deliberately got into a struggle so I could hatchet them, go into a car or truck nearby and repair my clothes while it ran around bleeding out. Make sure you DON'T go inside a house- if you area transition before the wolf dies, it magically heals. Then you get some wolf meat, and if its eating a deer, you get that too. Finding the farm nearby is how you can get access to a work bench and start making snares so those bunnies are easier to get.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tar_Squid posted:

Haifisch, about the bedroll- when you went in the cave between the ravine and the road didn't you spot the corpse with a bedroll beside it? It was in the very early area of the cave- I made a fire as soon as I got there and took the free torch out of it, so it was easy to see.
I saw and looted the corpse, but somehow missed the bedroll. Go me. :downs:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

While I like the single player of TLD I do agree that they could have moved things along a lot faster.

Like, for the old lady. Having you search the town and learn how to smash things up for wood is good and fun, and it's okay for you to be taking a few days to do it. But when you start collecting food you are practically eating half of what you find just to stay alive as you trudge back and forth. Cutting the amount necessary to a third of what it is would be good, but what is done is done.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I saw and looted the corpse, but somehow missed the bedroll. Go me. :downs:

Whoops. Well, win some lose some :downs:

And honestly killing rabbits is barely even worth it- they hardly have enough meat on them to justify the time spent stalking, killing, and cooking them. Collecting cat tail stalks is far more efficient, since they don't require cooking and there's dozens of them both on the road to Milton and inside of Milton itself. Of course the game itself barely even mentions cat tails being edible and certainly does not support my 'kill wolves via hatchet to the face' method. Oh, also don't bother with the sharp metal shard or prybar as anti-wolf weapons- the metal shard is terrible and the prybar only scares them off, it doesn't seem to injure them.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

quote:

The Hunted, Part Two: Now you're the hunter.

Uhhh, about that...

Turns out if you re-enter and exit the Trapper's Hut, it spawns another bear.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Tar_Squid posted:

Whoops. Well, win some lose some :downs:

And honestly killing rabbits is barely even worth it- they hardly have enough meat on them to justify the time spent stalking, killing, and cooking them. Collecting cat tail stalks is far more efficient, since they don't require cooking and there's dozens of them both on the road to Milton and inside of Milton itself. Of course the game itself barely even mentions cat tails being edible and certainly does not support my 'kill wolves via hatchet to the face' method. Oh, also don't bother with the sharp metal shard or prybar as anti-wolf weapons- the metal shard is terrible and the prybar only scares them off, it doesn't seem to injure them.

I believe cat tails are the most efficient food when it comes to calories:weight ratios.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
They also don't go bad(unless they've changed that since I last played).

Once you hit Milton the game starts vomiting so much food at you you'll be leaving some behind for pack weight, anyway. I'm almost done there(I hope) and I went from hoarding food like I'd never see it again to going "condition below 40%? Pass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Haifisch posted:

They also don't go bad(unless they've changed that since I last played).

Once you hit Milton the game starts vomiting so much food at you you'll be leaving some behind for pack weight, anyway. I'm almost done there(I hope) and I went from hoarding food like I'd never see it again to going "condition below 40%? Pass."

Once I figured out you could kill wolves with the flare gun the food problem was solved. I now have a rifle (just found it as part of the story).

How do you get access to the forge? Do you have to go to that house in the muskeg? Is the forge there or is that where the blueprints are?

So far I'm enjoying the story mode - not really for the story (though it is somewhat interesting) but more because it gives me goals in this game. I just wish that I could make fishing tackle. I have a line and a hook but for some reason I can't combine the two.