Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Merope posted:

It worked fine, used only one of each. Thanks :)

Does anyone happen to have a saved guide/post where I can see clearly what's the best order for doing the various quests lines, if I care about story continuity? What to do first, what to do after/before what, what not to do before a certain level, that sort of thing? I googled a bit but I haven't found anything specific.

Also, quest rewards do not scale to level, like enemies, right? So there is a somewhat recommended order for zone questing I suppose? Or I can just craft better or get from dungeon drops and quest as I wish?

zone order for each faction (they happen at the same time chronologically)

EP: Bleakrock -> Bal Foyen -> Stonefalls -> Deshaan -> Shadowfen -> Eastmarch -> The Rift
DC: Stros M'Kai -> Betnikh -> Glenumbra -> Stormhaven -> Rivenspire -> Alik'r Desert -> Bangkorai
AD: Kenrathi Roost ->Auridon -> Grahtwood -> Greenshade -> Malabal Tor -> Reaper's March

As far as Main Quest, originally each next quest would unlock every five levels, since One Tamriel I guess they made it so you could do the whole thing in one sitting which always seemed dumb to me. Up to you how you want to tackle that, could just put off each one for five levels or do one per zone, or all at once.

Then you would go to Coldharbour

Craglorn could be done in any order as it is independent of the whole main Planemeld storyline, but if you wanted to stick to "original" continuity you'd do it after Coldharbour. The main zone quest is 100% solo-able but you'll probably need a buddy for most of the sidequests as they're intended for groups of two or three players (these will have a + sign next to the POI on the map)

Mages Guild and Fighters Guild each have one quest per your faction's zones so you could just do them as you move through the zone order or all at once or not at all (you just need to join the guilds to unlock the skill lines, dont need to do quests), they happen chronologically independent of the main stories

DLCs canonically all take place roughly the same time as the main story and each are their own self-contained stories so could be done in any order but if you wanted to do them "in order" itd basically be

Post-Coldharbour: Imperial City (real hard to solo) -> Orsinium -> Thieves Guild -> Dark Brotherhood -> Morrowind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Berke Negri posted:

Post-Coldharbour: Imperial City (real hard to solo) -> Orsinium -> Thieves Guild -> Dark Brotherhood -> Morrowind

I'd actually run Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood right away (at least the intro missions), so you can start doing the dailies as you go.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah I wouldn't recommend doing the DLCs in a strict order myself. Also itd take you like 150 hours to get to even say like, Thieves Guild if you stuck to a strict order of things.

Honestly most of the zones storylines, even within the faction zones, are pretty self-contained. One thing I'd recommend is probably try to do the starter islands before getting into any of the factions, even if you intend to jump around within the faction zones out of order. Stonefalls makes a lot more sense if you do Bleakrock/Bal Foyen first, Kenrathi Roost lays a lot of foundation for all the stuff in AD zones, and Stros M'Kai/Betnikh introduces you to your pirate pals that pop up throughout the rest of DC quests. EP zones are pretty much 100% independent of each other and could really be done in any order if you wanted. DC is pretty similar too, but you'd probably want to at least do Glenumbra first in its entirety to get chummy with King Emeric. From what I remember AD is like completely linear cause it has a consistent cast of characters so it'd probably get real confusing to do out of order.

There's so many quests though I really can't say for certain what works and doesn't if you sequence break cause there's so many variations. A lot of times NPCs seem to react differently to you if you skipped past a bunch of their previous quests and other times they just act like you'd been playing the game straight. With how much quest content there is I can't really blame ZoS for not accounting for everything.

Like if you just dived into the middle of the DC story arc I have no idea how Khaleesi and her crew reacts to you if you never did any of the stuff on Betnikh or Stros M'Kai. Or if you meet them first in DLCs and then go back and meet them where they originally were introduced. Or like if you do all of Morrowind with Naryu and then meet her for the "first" time in Deshaan how that plays out differently (since originally its a lot of beating around the bush that she's in the Morag Tong).

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Almost 2 years after Orsinium launches, under 1 year after getting Flawless on my Stamsorc. I finally get flawless on a magicka toon. I can quit this stupid game now (or not, still need to get Legate rank on one of my PvP characters).

Taking a guess from the name, is this toon a Breton? Regardless, I'd love to see details on this build. 'Grats!

I must be misremembering, but didn't you say in chat the other day that you got Legate? Or was it Quaestor or Triarius or something like that, I get confused by the way the PvP rank names switch between modern military ranks and Roman-ish titles.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Coldforge posted:

I'd actually run Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood right away (at least the intro missions), so you can start doing the dailies as you go.

You also want the ability to open the thieves caches and the blade of woe ability from each DLC"s intro missions as well.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

count_von_count posted:

Taking a guess from the name, is this toon a Breton? Regardless, I'd love to see details on this build. 'Grats!

I must be misremembering, but didn't you say in chat the other day that you got Legate? Or was it Quaestor or Triarius or something like that, I get confused by the way the PvP rank names switch between modern military ranks and Roman-ish titles.

Breton Mageblade yes. Basic build is 3x Willpower jewelry 5x Law of Julianos 2x Grothdarr and dual Maelstrom Destruction staves (Inferno and Lightning).

I did have a Legate rank character once, took me nearly a year of hardcore PvP to get it before I deleted it out of disgust (it was a DC character, the most toxic faction). My highest now is a Tribune (stamsorc) mainly because I hop around on so many characters in PvP.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

nessin posted:

You also want the ability to open the thieves caches and the blade of woe ability from each DLC"s intro missions as well.

You can open the thieves caches as long as you have the DLC. You do not need to do the Thieves Guild quest.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kryopsis posted:

You can open the thieves caches as long as you have the DLC. You do not need to do the Thieves Guild quest.

His point about not being able to randomly murder harmless people stands, though. That's important.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Thanks for the questing advice guys!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Can confirm that Naryu is unchanged if you meet her first in Vvardenfell. She's all hush-hush about the Tong, she's still in training, etc. I'm at the end of the Ebon Pact story now and... I somehow missed two whole zones? Bleakrock and Bal Foyen? Is one/both of those the newbie island? I just started in Stonefalls and went right through it.

The Morrowind DLC auto-starting you in Morrowind is a pretty loving terrible idea, actually. I guarantee a bunch of newbies are right now confused as gently caress about why everyone calls them "Vestige." Hell, earlier tonight some NPC called me the "Hero of Bal Foyen" and I was like "was that one of those towns in Stonefalls I forgot the name of?" Overall One Tamriel is great, and I almost definitely wouldn't be playing the game without it, but without the original intro to at least point you to the main quest and the start of your alliance storyline things get confusing fast.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Semi-related: how often does the game acknowledge things about your character? I guess I mostly mean race, although someone in one of the DLCs (Orsinium?) mentioned my alliance. I'd guess the answer is "not often but not never" based on what I've seen. Every once and a while someone realizes my character is Argonian, but usually there's a lot of "drat lizards" around me and some of the dialog your forced into in Shadowfens make little sense, like being forced to ask what a Hist is. I know Orsinum has at least one quest that has a whole different ending if you're an Orc well, a male Orc, I think. You can end up killing both contestants for that tribe that needs a new Chief and taking the position yourself. Will I run into a lot of racism if I'm say, a Khajiit doing the AD quests? Or an Orc doing the DC ones? If you're a Redguard questing around Hammerfell will anyone ever ID your character as being a Crown or a Forbearer? Those would be dope.

Idk, I just really like being the target of fantasy racism. Maybe to justify my constant Blade of Woe use.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
IIRC there's one quest in DC where playing a Redguard has you skip a part. A spirit is all "We need to teach you how important ancestors are" and you're all "Dude, I'm a Redguard" and they're all "Oh yeah, doy, you know all this poo poo, lemme open the door."

And I have several Argonians, and there's a non-zero amount of times in Morrowind they acknowledge it, and that feels good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Can confirm that Naryu is unchanged if you meet her first in Vvardenfell. She's all hush-hush about the Tong, she's still in training, etc. I'm at the end of the Ebon Pact story now and... I somehow missed two whole zones? Bleakrock and Bal Foyen? Is one/both of those the newbie island? I just started in Stonefalls and went right through it.

The Morrowind DLC auto-starting you in Morrowind is a pretty loving terrible idea, actually. I guarantee a bunch of newbies are right now confused as gently caress about why everyone calls them "Vestige." Hell, earlier tonight some NPC called me the "Hero of Bal Foyen" and I was like "was that one of those towns in Stonefalls I forgot the name of?" Overall One Tamriel is great, and I almost definitely wouldn't be playing the game without it, but without the original intro to at least point you to the main quest and the start of your alliance storyline things get confusing fast.

yeah, bleakrock is the ebonheart starter island and bal foyen is the next zone after that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Aramek posted:

IIRC there's one quest in DC where playing a Redguard has you skip a part. A spirit is all "We need to teach you how important ancestors are" and you're all "Dude, I'm a Redguard" and they're all "Oh yeah, doy, you know all this poo poo, lemme open the door."

And I have several Argonians, and there's a non-zero amount of times in Morrowind they acknowledge it, and that feels good.

There's some mentions for Argonians & Dark Elves that I know of, and a couple bits of questing in Wrothgar that are only for Orcs (that never get referenced again).

Baktah
Sep 17, 2014
Could I get a guild invite on PC NA? @Baktah

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

like being forced to ask what a Hist is.

My Dark Elf at the beginning of Morrowind feels you, my scaly sibling

"You don't know our living gods?!"
"Well, I'm a Dunmer, I've met Almalexia or at least a spiritual approximation, got a lamp as a parting gift, and I've ran into dudes talking about Vivec and Sotha Sil, so I have to say nYES. I do not know about the cornerstone of our culture."

I mean in this case it's possible my character doesn't? But it's still really weird that I couldn't say I do know them.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

You can only use werewolf skills if you're in werewolf form, and you can only get into werewolf form by slotting and using an ultimate, right? I apparently got infected, which seems a shame to waste, but I can't see how I can use werewolf skills while keeping my warden bear.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think the Canon reason is, again, that we're the Vestige. Soulless so we lost whomever we were before Mannimarco got us. It's how they explain some of the mechanics too, what with the wayshrines and soul stones.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

MF_James posted:

Do you mean the second boss? Because yeah, that's a mechanic you can't ignore:

Gaymne Bandu

Boss Mechanics:

Glow of Hand followed by a beam of light that connects two players who will take high amounts of damage until the beam breaks.
Summons Shadow Tormentors that will chain down a random player. Just one of the Tormentor needs to be killed to free the player in time. If unsuccessful, the chained player suffers heavy damage from a spike that runs through the player.
Boss replaces himself with 4 Obsidian Aspects occasionally that all need to be killed to make the boss reappear.

Strategy:

When the Hand starts to glow, all players except the tank must spread out. After the beam connects, the 2 players must run away from each other until the beam breaks.
Once a player is chained, focus all attack on only one Tormentor as this is enough to break the chain and free the player.
All 4 Obsidian Aspects need to be killed before the boss reappears. These Aspects can do heavy damage if not blocked. It is best to use AOE and crowd control abilities such as Volcanic Runes to take down these Aspects.

Also, just FYI 15k on DPS is pretty standard, I've said it 1000x in this thread, but I (and likely every other dps here) run 16k HP with CP160 food stam/health buff, you don't need more HP as a dps for anything because either it's going to 1-shot you and kill you because you hosed up a mechanic/stood in fire, or you should have some sort of sustain for yourself that handles piddly add/ae damage and the healer can shore up the rest.

MF_James posted:

Yeah, it's not easy when no one knows the mechanics, I recommend when joining random dungeons that you check out this site: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Dungeons that's where I pulled the strat info from, that way you know what to expect and you can tell everyone when they don't know.

Rough Lobster posted:

Hit me up @Overchromed if you see me on. I'm always down to run dungeons and love to show others the ropes. Most of them can be brute forced but some can be a pain even with high level characters if people don't listen.

I've gotten a group of three new player level 12's (including the famous "only bow light attack" breed of pub) through WGT before

e: because they actually listened and I bothered to explain. Things are so much harder if one or both of those aren't done. hit me up!

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated 👍

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

afkmacro posted:

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated 👍

On the wiki I linked, they might only give you the vet version of each fight, which sometimes has mechanics specific to veteran, often times the mechanics are just watered down in normal but on a few fights there are mechanics that are straight up not in normal that are in vet. I can't think of an example atm to show you, but maybe someone else can.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Coldforge posted:

Poison tipped arrow.

You poisoned just the tip?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Aramek posted:

I think the Canon reason is, again, that we're the Vestige. Soulless so we lost whomever we were before Mannimarco got us. It's how they explain some of the mechanics too, what with the wayshrines and soul stones.

I always interpret it as either while it's a potential conversation choice that doesn't mean you actually need to select it or the player character is just playing ignorant to see what perspective the NPC has. The game is not as reactive as it could be but there is usually some reference to your race at given points. Like if you're a Dark Elf on Vvardenfell sometimes people would be like "Oh thank ALMSIVI, another dunmer I'm so sick of all these outlanders," and you'd just get a less welcoming reaction if you're another race.

Alik'r I know has quite a bit different reactions if you're a Redguard, can't remember if there's anything in Bangkorai and never did Craglorn with a Redguard character. Stros M'kai doesn't really have any beats. There's almost no reaction to the player being a vampire/werewolf though which leads to some weird moments.

makoto20
Nov 23, 2006
Hey guys I don't know if this is the right way to do this but here is a code for a Doom Wolf Mount.

MELKYMT4CNFFCDCRLAH

I bought the Brotherhood storyline for The Skyrim card game mobile app and they gave me this code too. Enjoy!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It says that's an invalid code, so somebody might have already grabbed it.

Kofi Annan
Jan 30, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can I get an invite the NA PC guild for @nomgor?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out I managed to record one of the BGs that Chill Bros did during the midyear event, so here's a highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snUEEJmJoHU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Could I get an invite to the NA Chill Bros guild please? @Jutvar

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Owlkill posted:

I'm getting an "account not found" when I try adding you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
try it with a lowercase J maybe? Usernames are case sensitive.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Still saying account not found :(

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Owlkill posted:

Just to be sure, you're on the PC right? Also, this is your account name not a character name?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm getting an "account not found" when I try adding you.

Rough Lobster posted:

Just to be sure, you're on the PC right? Also, this is your account name not a character name?

Sorry, I'm an idiot - yep I'm PC, name should be @eajmartin

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I shot you an invite.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

After a month of playing this game, I think I have a problem.
:negative:

This is not taking into account the 4 characters I deleted.

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 7, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kryopsis posted:

You're referring to the way you name your characters, right? I agree, it is a problem.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Coldforge posted:

You're referring to the way you name your characters, right? I agree, it is a problem.

If you're referring to Orkham's Razor, that's only because no one got the reference in Van Orcman Quine. :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kryopsis posted:

Amateur

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

He desperately needs some White Honey.

Scy, are you game for adding new addons to the OP?

LazyThief makes thieving much faster. You can select which stolen items to auto-loot when you open a container, and you can also have it automatically fence or launder items.

Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter makes the daily crafting writ quests much faster and simpler. You can auto-craft the needed items, turn in the quests quickly, and auto-open the reward boxes.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

You sure have a lot of Nightblades, @Scyantific.

So the character I enjoyed playing the most is the Redguard Templar but what exactly are my options, end-game? From what I understand, Templars are middling DPS and tanks, being only good at healing. Given that my character is a Redguard, going magicka doesn't make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

4 Templars
3 Nightblades
3 Dragonknights
2 Sorcerers
2 Wardens