Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wanna slap that dude on the back and run like hell

You'd probably be able to saunter away, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but he'd have your handprint on his back. Probably be able to get prints off it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My face got red like that once, and then it turned into a single mass of oozing scabs for like a week. Can't imagine the pain it will cause on a whole back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You'd probably be able to saunter away, really.

You'd probably be able to have a smoke and then saunter away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAYtas3ZduQ

That guy should probably go to hospital at some point. A friend of mine went rafting down a river on an inner tube with his buddies one day and they were wearing flippers and wetsuits so their entire bodies were covered except for a thin strip of skin at their ankles. Several hours later their ankles turned the same colour as that guy's back and the blistering got so bad they had to go to hospital to get the burns treated.

I got such a bad burn on my upper back one time it blistered up like crazy and then the blisters went all hard and crunchy. It looked like fuckin' Ser Jorah on Game of Thrones with his grey scale infection.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Aug 7, 2017

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I got such a bad burn on my upper back one time it blistered up like crazy and then the blisters went all hard and crunchy. It looked like fuckin' Ser Jorah on Game of Thrones with his grey scale infection.

That picture is in color though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shifty Nipples posted:

That picture is in color though

poo poo sorry, I was phone posting

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sarcopenia posted:

I run in a circle of non garbage people who thinks that my other culture is cool and interesting but I still occasionally have to tell strangers not to touch my hair, that it is in fact very uncool and unfunny to make monkey and poo poo jokes about black people and that I would like if they didn't use the neger word around me. They usually want to argue this and get really mad about it and ironically tell me that I'm too sensitive.

loving hell. Please start punching these people in the face.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Someone post that video of the older Danish guy yelling about how Norwegians are trash racists. Or was it a Swede yelling about how Danes are trash racists? Or was it a Norwegian yelling about how the Inuit are trash racists? I don't remember the specifics but it was a funny video.

e. it was a Finn! Sorry for the ebaumsworld link, but it's the only on I could find that wasn't blocked in Canada.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/epic-interview-with-a-finnish-man-about-norwegians/85267344/

Dillbag has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Aug 7, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The homeowners' association of Presidio Terrace, a private street in San Francisco, failed to pay their tax bill for about thirty years, so in 2015 the city decided to auction off the street to pay the bill.

Tina Lam and Michael Cheng bought it for $90,100. They now own the street and sidewalks of Presidio Terrace - and the homeowners are furious, especially since...

quote:

He and his wife see plenty of financial opportunity — especially from the 120 parking spaces on the street that they now control.

“We could charge a reasonable rent on it,” Cheng said.

And if the Presidio Terrace residents aren’t interested in paying for parking privileges, perhaps some of their neighbors outside the gates — in a city where parking is at a premium — would be.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

poo poo sorry, I was phone posting

Wonderful, thanks for playing along.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wanna slap that dude on the back and run like hell

Why? At that point, you might as well have beanbagged him.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Besesoth posted:

The homeowners' association of Presidio Terrace, a private street in San Francisco, failed to pay their tax bill for about thirty years, so in 2015 the city decided to auction off the street to pay the bill.

Tina Lam and Michael Cheng bought it for $90,100. They now own the street and sidewalks of Presidio Terrace - and the homeowners are furious, especially since...

This owns

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Besesoth posted:

To add to the schad, the tax bill was only $944, a paltry $31 per year. The owners of those houses probably have that in loose change down the back of the couch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That guy should probably go to hospital at some point. A friend of mine went rafting down a river on an inner tube with his buddies one day and they were wearing flippers and wetsuits so their entire bodies were covered except for a thin strip of skin at their ankles. Several hours later their ankles turned the same colour as that guy's back and the blistering got so bad they had to go to hospital to get the burns treated.

I once went tubing with some friends and my shoulders got so terribly burned that I had the lizard scales for like a month. I remember when they started peeling off and I'd have skin flakes everywhere :stonk:

Weird thing is since then I've gone tubing lots and never been burned since. I think I have secretly developed immunity to the sun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One poster's secret for beating the Sun will shock you. Doctors (and Draculas) hates him.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I solve the sunburn problem by never going outside, like a proper goon

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Besesoth posted:

Oh my god, that article just keeps getting better and better. Apparently, falling arrears on a $14/yr tax happened because the bills were still going to an accountant who was no longer with the Association since the '80s.

quote:

“I was shocked to learn this could happen, and am deeply troubled that anyone would choose to take advantage of the situation and buy our street and sidewalks,” said one homeowner, who asked not to be named because of pending litigation.

I love that the Treasurer doesn't fail to twist the knife a bit. I can't imagine how satisfying it is to twist the knife on these people.

quote:

The residents say the city had an obligation to post a notice in Presidio Terrace notifying neighbors of the pending auction back in 2015 — something that “would have been simple and inexpensive for the city to accomplish.”

Treasurer-Tax Collector Jose Cisneros’ office says the city did what the law requires.

“Ninety-nine percent of property owners in San Francisco know what they need to do, and they pay their taxes on time — and they keep their mailing address up to date,” said spokeswoman Amanda Fried.

“There is nothing that our office can do” about the sale now, she added.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

There’s a bit of irony in the couple’s purchase. Until a 1948 U.S. Supreme Court ruling banning the enforcement of racial covenants, homes in Presidio Terrace could be purchased only by whites.

“The more we dug into this,” said the Taiwan-born Cheng, “the more interesting it got.”

:discourse:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Powaqoatse posted:

Danes are trash.

No arguments here, friend

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

oldpainless posted:

No arguments here, friend

This one just writes itself.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Fumaofthelake posted:

This one just writes itself.

OldDaneless.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Denmark is always #1 on the list of "happiest people" and "best country in the world to live in" but I guess there''s a big asterisk there

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh my god, that article just keeps getting better and better. Apparently, falling arrears on a $14/yr tax happened because the bills were still going to an accountant who was no longer with the Association since the '80s.

I love that the Treasurer doesn't fail to twist the knife a bit. I can't imagine how satisfying it is to twist the knife on these people.

I'm sure they'll lawyer up and win it back. Isn't it ridiculous that you can buy a public street?

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Denmark is always #1 on the list of "happiest people" and "best country in the world to live in" but I guess there''s a big asterisk there

It's not just Denmark, I'd wager casual racism is "a-ok" in most of Europe.

I have a friend who, whenever the topic of babies comes up, always mournfully looks at me and wishes out loud she could have "a cute lil' negro or halfling baby, alas, me and the hubby are white as gently caress" to artistically translate. Yes, I'm mixed race.
The topic of casual "neger" (yeah I'm sure you understand what that literally translates to) usage here comes up a lot with my black family, it's something that comes with the territory it seems. Half of them have accepted being called "neger" and half of them vehemently fight it.

My black mom has a good laugh whenever someone comes over to us specifically just to say "wow you speak our language so well!!!" which would be an amazing feat if she hadn't lived here for 35 loving years.
I just silently wonder why the gently caress people feel the need to patronize someone they don't know anything about. It's always older white ladies too.

tl;dr Europe is p cool aside from the ingrained casual racism, schadenfreude on me for expecting better by now?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm sure they'll lawyer up and win it back. Isn't it ridiculous that you can buy a public street?

But it’s not a public street.

It’s private property, and the owners weren’t paying tax on it. The government gets to seize private property for unpaid tax. That’s how it works.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Elkyrie posted:

It's not just Denmark, I'd wager casual racism is "a-ok" in most of Europe.

I have direct experience with Italians, Swiss, and Brits being casually racist in ways that offended my coastal American sensibilities.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Platystemon posted:

But it’s not a public street.

It’s private property, and the owners weren’t paying tax on it. The government gets to seize private property for unpaid tax. That’s how it works.

It still just look overtly malicious to me. Could have just sent the actual home owners a note or something. Does anyone believe they were intentionally withholding the 15 bux in taxes?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

canyoneer posted:

It can get really bad. My parents' generation which grew up in the 50s and 60s only had funny old comics and nursery rhymes about those Africans with their skin so dark they'd disappear in a coal cellar!

There's a brand of chocolate covered marshmallow treats (flřdeboller) that had to change their name from 'Sambo' to 'Samba' in the 90s because that poo poo didn't really fly anymore.

Also called 'negro kisses'.

Danes are loving trash, so sorry.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It still just look overtly malicious to me. Could have just sent the actual home owners a note or something. Does anyone believe they were intentionally withholding the 15 bux in taxes?
it was over the course of 2 decades, intent is kinda baked into the whole "not paying your taxes for 20 years" concept.

is the schadenfreude your terrible reading comprehension?

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Aug 7, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

In a letter to the city last month, Scott Emblidge, the attorney for the Presidio Homeowners Association, said the group had failed to pay up because its tax bill was being mailed to the Kearny Street address used by an accountant who hadn’t worked for the homeowners since the 1980s.
You'd think all these rich people would be able to afford a lawyer who could do better than "But they didn't know!" I'm no legal expert, but I always assumed that "ignorance of the law is no defence" would be a day one lesson.

Elizabethan Error posted:

it was over the course of 2 decades, intent is kinda baked into the whole "not paying your taxes for 20 years" concept.

Bingo.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Does intent even matter when it comes to paying your taxes? Like can I stop paying my student loans and get the whole thing wiped out in 10 years when the IRS comes to gently caress me because I intended to send the government money, I just put the check in an envelope and sent it to Washington, DC. It's not my fault it never got to the IRS!

Someone who was sending those checks had the duty to notice that $14 a year wasn't being deducted from the "we got a super sweet deal on this to keep the poors and coloreds out forever" account, and after 30 years lmao.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

It seems plausible to me. Rich folks can be stingy motherfuckers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mu Zeta posted:

No, but I do believe that they didn’t give their finances due attention.

People get in trouble for honest mistakes all the time. It just usually doesn’t happen to people who can wipe their tears away with T‐bills.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

minato posted:

To add to the schad, the tax bill was only $944, a paltry $31 per year. The owners of those houses probably have that in loose change down the back of the couch.

Seems to me that it would have been paid if they knew there was a problem - and since 1980s its likely different people live there now and had no idea that there was ever a problem. Someone hosed up a long time ago, but I hate to say it probably wasn't the people's fault that live there now.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

It absolutely is their fault to pay the taxes on property that they own. If they don't do it, they don't get to have the property. If they didn't pay property taxes on their house, the government can and will come and take that as well--even the ridiculously low Prop 13 California taxes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier Ernst Zundel loving died. Supposedly of a heart attack. I hope it was painful and not quick.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

If you're looking to impulse buy a cheap chair, I can totally see blazing through without really reading the description. It seems weird to me that dollhouse paraphernalia is categorized under Home Décor.

Granted MAYBE the presence of the words "MINIATURE" and "NOVELTY" in the name of the item MAY have been a tipoff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier Ernst Zundel loving died. Supposedly of a heart attack. I hope it was painful and not quick.

So much for the tolerant left ventricle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a few good ones in here. "Bus came back", "Road that just ends" and "Drunk guy locked his keys in his car" are great. Also keep an eye out for a huge truck's brakes failing and taking out a dozen cars and one passerby doesn't even look up from her phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThUk1rtXLvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Phanatic posted:

"On March 31, 2017, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Administrative Appeals Office ruled Zündel inadmissible to the United States, rejecting his application for an immigrant visa which he has sought in order to be reunited with his wife."

I hope he never saw her again.