Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zegermans posted:

verify dishtansh to waifu. one ping only.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding opiate addiction, I'm of the opinion that liberal attitudes towards it are often the height of hypocrisy. For as much as liberals like to talk about scientific consensus on issues like global warming, they're comfortable willing to ignore the fact that current science heavily suggests that both 1. many people are predisposed to addiction to opiates (as well as other substances) and 2. it's a disease and not something most people can just will themselves to stop.

And that's not even getting into how downright abhorrent and cruel it is to treat people in such a lovely situation so poorly in the first place.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

anime was right posted:

im creating the "anime was right" foundation to combat the inaccurate accusations itt

goons are on top of the important issues of the day

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding opiate addiction, I'm of the opinion that liberal attitudes towards it are often the height of hypocrisy. For as much as liberals like to talk about scientific consensus on issues like global warming, they're comfortable willing to ignore the fact that current science heavily suggests that both 1. many people are predisposed to addiction to opiates (as well as other substances) and 2. it's a disease and not something most people can just will themselves to stop.

And that's not even getting into how downright abhorrent and cruel it is to treat people in such a lovely situation so poorly in the first place.

:agreed:

Most people are generally really bad about addiction and the culture of shame and policing around it helps no one even when it's legal things.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Ytlaya posted:

also the little thing about how pharma created this mess by pushing some of the most addictive substances known to science on people

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, use of opioids makes everything more painful after the dose wears off.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the shits is another thing apparently

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

zegermans posted:

also what do think tanks do I actually never figured that out

come up with Obamacare.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
google:

automation forcing you out of employment?
slowing down on that won't solve racsexism
:shrug:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nonsense posted:

the shits is another thing apparently

Oh yeah, opiates slow everything down. People used to take Opium FOR poo poo problems. It's why it's harder to get Immodium now, the active ingredient in that can, if taken in massive fuckin' doses, approximate the numbing effect.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Agnosticnixie posted:

:agreed:

Most people are generally really bad about addiction and the culture of shame and policing around it helps no one even when it's legal things.

people only respect the human costs of the addictions they share, and even then, only as long as it's convenient to them

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Thank you.

I don't blame a single person who's community/family/personal health has been ravaged by opiates and seeing the two candidates and thinking one represented the same old same old and the other represented any kind of change. Of course, they voted for a guy who was flat out lying to them. That part needs to be worked on, not wishing loving death on them.

Are there racist shitbag bad apples in that bunch? Absolutely. but it doesn't represent the entire block.

It's just personal to me because I have a brother in law who got really far into opiates in PA, he ends dup in jail and now I see him struggling to get his life back together with a felony on his record. He's extremely lucky he has a family around willing to help out. I helped take care of his kid one holiday weekend because he was dealing with not having suboxone (which he has since kicked cold turkey). I realize that a shitload of people in similar situations don't have that and desperately need help.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Grondoth posted:

Oh yeah, opiates slow everything down. People used to take Opium FOR poo poo problems. It's why it's harder to get Immodium now, the active ingredient in that can, if taken in massive fuckin' doses, approximate the numbing effect.

A goon in TCC figured out a way to potentiate immodium and then OD'd and died from it while at the movies with his husband.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Aug 8, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A goon in TCC figured out a way to potentiate immodium and then OD'd and died from it while at the movies with his wife.

or the goon who got lit up in his parked car, passed out, and baked to death

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A goon in TCC figured out a way to potentiate immodium and then OD'd and died from it while at the movies with his wife.

HARM

REDUCTION

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The rules thread in TCC really ought to be named something like "If you post in this forum, you'll probably be dead in five years."

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

like died from being full of poo poo, or died literally from ODing from immodium

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agean90 posted:

or the goon who got lit up in his parked car, passed out, and baked to death

That was a different goon, who OD'd on prescription benzos he took while already tripping on (I think) oxy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

zegermans posted:

like died from being full of poo poo, or died literally from ODing from immodium

the latter

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zoran posted:

The rules thread in TCC really ought to be named something like "If you post in this forum, you'll probably be dead in five years."

I don't know why it's allowed to exist when they banned lowcarb circlejerking after that 20 year old was dying of clogged arteries

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I just don't see how that's possible

like how do you go DOA to the hospital, and have a doctor write "OD'd from imodium"

I wonder if the doctor laughed

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zegermans posted:

How he specifically did it remains unclear, but diligent TCC researchers determined the best way is to mix immodium with an olive oil/black pepper solution and administer it rectally. So, the latter, though the former was probably a concern since his wife reported he'd been at it a while and also routinely drank quantities of cough syrup.

zegermans posted:

I just don't see how that's possible

like how do you go DOA to the hospital, and have a doctor write "OD'd from imodium"

I wonder if the doctor laughed

His wife told the paramedics responding of his habits. I don't remember the story well enough to tell you if they believed her.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I feel really stopped up and gross if I go 24 hours between poops how do addicts go weeks

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

zegermans posted:

I feel really stopped up and gross if I go 24 hours between poops how do addicts go weeks

i would guess that opiates like many drugs also ruin your appetite so there isnt nearly as much poop to poop anyway

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i would guess that opiates like many drugs also ruin your appetite so there isnt nearly as much poop to poop anyway

Drug addictions are the only weight-loss method guaranteed to work :v:

Naturally the only exceptions are alcohol and weed aka the ones everyone uses, and that's why the West is so fat

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Having been around to witness "heroin chic" in the 90s, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If we could legalize weed and then cultivate a strain that makes you get full really fast instead of turning you into a bottomless lovely food pit, we'd solve heart disease in a year

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ytlaya posted:

It's almost like people feel less sympathetic toward people they see as an outgroup, no matter what the political affiliations they claim to hold.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

loquacius posted:

If we could legalize weed and then cultivate a strain that makes you get full really fast instead of turning you into a bottomless lovely food pit, we'd solve heart disease in a year

One of the active ingredients in weed is an appetite suppressant, actually.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

She's kind of right though, Maduro is a piece of poo poo and nobody should be backing someone making their country into a authoritarian hellhole regardless of their views on capital. Going "well both sides... :jerkbag:" is bad since there is no way the Tories won't pin him to the wall over it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's almost like people feel less sympathetic toward people they see as an outgroup, no matter what the political affiliations they claim to hold.

opiate addictions were hilarious when intentionally inflicted on china and then american communities of color but now that white people are affected by it too it's a Serious Crisis That Needs Addressing

an addictive product is one of the most perfect commodities for capital because if people stop buying from you they'll die, but it's getting trickier to grow that customer base now that it's affecting everyone and not just minorities or foreigners

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zegermans posted:

The mechanism by which immodium works is the same as other opiates; immodium just doesn't (in reasonable doses, at least) pass the blood brain barrier. Taking Vicodin or something (as someone with no tolerance) is probably roughly comparable to taking a large dose of immodium as far as your bowels go.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Basically, yes. I feel like most liberals are probably only more correct than conservatives because they happened to identify (usually due to the people/community they grew up around) with the side that happens to also be more correct. If you threw some dumb poo poo into the general liberal orthodoxy (that wasn't already associated with conservatives) I guarantee most would believe it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

One of the active ingredients in weed is an appetite suppressant, actually.

i never understood how people got the munchies from weed; it's always made me forget about being hungry. if i smoke all day i can get by on a few pieces of bread

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Feldegast42 posted:

She's kind of right though, Maduro is a piece of poo poo and nobody should be backing someone making their country into a authoritarian hellhole regardless of their views on capital. Going "well both sides... :jerkbag:" is bad since there is no way the Tories won't pin him to the wall over it.
They've pinned him to the wall over more and less and that never really stuck.

Maybe violent reactionary politics and foreign policy is bad?
:thunk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

opiate addictions were hilarious when intentionally inflicted on china and then american communities of color but now that white people are affected by it too it's a Serious Crisis That Needs Addressing

an addictive product is one of the most perfect commodities for capital because if people stop buying from you they'll die, but it's getting trickier to grow that customer base now that it's affecting everyone and not just minorities or foreigners

It's probably not wrong that many people are caring more now that it's affecting more white people, but the problem here isn't that people are caring more now, but that people didn't care enough in the past.

Also just as a random thing, opiate withdrawal generally can't kill you (as opposed to benzodiazepine or alcohol withdrawal, which can). The vast majority of overdoses occur due to one of the following: 1. people who buy illegal opiates having something more potent mixed in, 2. people mixing opiates with alcohol or benzos, or 3. people becoming clean and then using the same amount they used to when they were physically dependent.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

i never understood how people got the munchies from weed; it's always made me forget about being hungry. if i smoke all day i can get by on a few pieces of bread

For me it was just that it made everything taste so good, but it never really made me hungry per se.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

you dont necessarily get hungry but if you start eating you can't tell when you're full, plus the gag reflex is suppressed

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

well it depends on the weed, mostly. one of the active ingredients is an appetite suppressant but another one is an appetite stimulant. weed is crazy:420:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

maybe the indica/sativa split? i get the munchies and mostly smoke sativas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ytlaya posted:

Basically, yes. I feel like most liberals are probably only more correct than conservatives because they happened to identify (usually due to the people/community they grew up around) with the side that happens to also be more correct. If you threw some dumb poo poo into the general liberal orthodoxy (that wasn't already associated with conservatives) I guarantee most would believe it.

Imagine of blacks voted Republican.

• Locked thread