Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I never voted for McGillicuddy because there was no difference in voting for a joke and not voting at all in FPP, and after it there was no reason to throw your vote away on a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I thought they folded when MMP was introduced because they were worried they would get 5%

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I was nowhere near old enough to vote for them but I was politically aware enough to know who they were and what they were about. Also tbh I was really into Monty Python, Spike Milligan/The Goon Show and that sort of poo poo so they appealed to me in that way too.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I don't know if I would trust someone who did not vote for a joke party in a non swing seat under FPP

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I vote in mt Albert electorate. My party vote matters, my electorate vote is for the most hilarious candidate I can find

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Spent a couple of hours doorknocking for the Greens today and no-one even mentioned how Metiria voted in 1993.

Mainly because I was in a street full of old people who were lifelong Labour voters.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Vote nareal

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vote Waron!

Labour's big new policy announcement is light rail to the airport, partly subsidised through a petrol price hike. Not the earth shaking announcement they were promising tbh

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 6, 2017

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'm gonna vote death, because I crave its sweet release.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo get panderbot back in r&d

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Surprised I haven't seen any media or anybody mention that the 'relentless positivity' thing is kinda a rehash of 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

Surprised I haven't seen any media or anybody mention that the 'relentless positivity' thing is kinda a rehash of 2014

2014 was just "no negativity", but the cabinet all hated cunliffe so there was no positivity to fill the gap

The Labour party has been really energised by this leadership change so the positivity seems pretty genuine this time round

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
They tried to pitch it as positive policy etc too:

but yeah, with Jacinda it's actually believable.

Also she does the Theresa May "I'm being clear, [talking point]" thing a ton, really bugs me now that I've noticed it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even loving Audrey Young thinks Labour are doing well now: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11899496

(warning: she couches it in her usual and very thin pretense of non-partisanship so it makes for lovely reading)

I actually have hope for the election which makes me nervous because I usually try to maintain a protective level of pessimism

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I think they can do it if they either announce some exciting policy, or if the media narrative stays pro-Labour

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

exmarx posted:

I think they can do it if they either announce some exciting policy, or if the media narrative stays pro-Labour

Keep hitting the housing button, Labour. Keep pushing that narrative. Keep loving over National because they've all got eight houses apiece and can't afford to fight back.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

TOP have released a housing policy today. Lifetime rentals, harder to evict people you need actual cause such as not paying rent or damage to the property. Apparently that is handled in a lot of European countries. An interesting idea. Would take away a lot of incentive to flip houses if you can't shift the tenants on.
They also want to sell the existing social housing stock to private non-profits. Which seems like a terrible idea.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

People flipping houses already don't bother renting them out.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

NZ could definitely do with better protections for renters tbh.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Disappointed to see T.O.P act like a fr*cking mainstream party and reannounce policy from months ago!!!

exmarx posted:

A couple of weeks ago I spent Saturday reading the TOP party's policies, for some reason.

They want to fund a UBI for families with babies by slashing superannuation in half (and then having a means-tested top-up). There's a housing policy hidden inside the UBI policy which is genuinely good, giving greater protections to tenants, but they want to privatise Housing NZ as well.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/craigmcculloch/status/894439659274551298

e:
https://twitter.com/NewshubPolitics/status/894442100904706048

:byewhore:

exmarx fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 7, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

f;b

Good riddance!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

Good riddance!

Gotta have that ideological purity! Not like it's election year.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Shaw, Genter & Coates next

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Insanely boring UN guy; guy nobody's ever heard of: duhhh we're not environmental enough anymore

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I liked Kennedy Graham and while he was boring always seemed like the kind of person who would be bloody good in government.

That said, gently caress any Green MP who thinks that this is worth quitting over.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/nzgreens/status/894450080408715264

Ruthless 🔪🔪🔪

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Greens in crisis

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So what, where are they going now?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How do I contact the Greens to volunteer as a substitute white man?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/YoungGreensNZ/status/894461740091441153

Greens are so vicious lol. It's great.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Muppets

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

How do I contact the Greens to volunteer as a substitute white man?

Go to the smallest room in your house, lock the door, turn the lights off and whisper the word "volunteer". Within three hours you'll be in charge of redoing the Greens I.T. system and maybe standing for an electorate.

No seriously, they are incredibly volunteer - friendly. Just do a Facebook search for Greens and turn up for something and you're in.

Particularly do a search for (your location) volunteer hub.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 7, 2017

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

holy poo poo :iceburn:

They don't usually do much pandering when it comes to their core policies, but there isn't even a semblance of "thanks for your service" bs political talk.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Xik posted:

holy poo poo :iceburn:

They don't usually do much pandering when it comes to their core policies, but there isn't even a semblance of "thanks for your service" bs political talk.
The YG Twitter is independent from the Party -- it doesn't need authorization but its statements aren't official party material either.

But yeah, they don't really gently caress around.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 7, 2017

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

I knew some folks that worked in Graham's office a while ago, this must be a little sad for them / challenging.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

It just wouldn't be an election year without the mandated and regularly scheduled left-wing meltdown.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Fucks sake so many concern trolls out today. The lines of former Green voters who are now going to TOP or even National over this. Blaming Labour for it somehow as well. Apparently Metiria's issues are Jacinda's fault so she can't effectively run a government. At the same time glossing over the Barclay debacle.

Just think if Metiria had kept quiet about her past she wouldn't have handed them a talking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Varkk posted:

Just think if Metiria had kept quiet about her past she wouldn't have handed them a talking point.

At which point someone would have leaked it anyway, and she would have been strategically blasted as even more of a liar and a hypocrite than she already has been. It was a no-win sitch.

• Locked thread