Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There were reports of two more army bases (one in Zulia and one in Lara) that were supposedly involved in the rebellion, but like fnox said it's really hard to tell what's going on. All we can do is wait for the dust to settle.

What appears to have happened is that these rebellious soldiers launched the attack on the base and were either repelled and forced to flee, or succeeded in raiding the base for equipment and managed to escape. In either case, there were two or three helicopters flying around the base for much of the morning, and they were particularly interested in wooded and mountainous areas not too far from the base. The rumour mill is pointing to 7 captured and two killed in the attack.

The army released a video with the base commander and his troops taken inside of Fuerte Paramacay showing that the base was firmly under control.

Unfortunately I have to step out now for most of the day and I won't have cellphone service :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Squalid posted:

Just at Fuerte paramacay or do you mean more generally?

The situation at Fuerte Paramacay is already taken care off, albeit the neighbours are staging protests and are currently being repressed by the GNB. There were however, other instances of military insurrections, I'll post the info once I can confirm it.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I just have to say that the current situation in the country is proof that whatever Bob has ever said about the "right wing controlling the media" in Venezuela is absolute horseshit, given that at this moment I still don't know a single loving thing about what's going on, and I know who to ask. Citizens have found out about the situation in Guri strictly through Twitter.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Venegoons, has there been any solid information on some of the increases in disease that were being noted last year/early this year? I'm feeling really concerned for the potential for something really unpleasant to pop up on the ground and no amount of Telesur bullshitting and CIA blaming stops poo poo outcomes if there's like a yellow fever outbreak.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

fnox posted:

I just have to say that the current situation in the country is proof that whatever Bob has ever said about the "right wing controlling the media" in Venezuela is absolute horseshit, given that at this moment I still don't know a single loving thing about what's going on, and I know who to ask. Citizens have found out about the situation in Guri strictly through Twitter.

For me, saying that the fact that there's privately-owned media means that there is freedom of the press is as bad as arguing that Venezuela is a democracy because Maduro was elected president. Yes, there's privately-owned media still, but you don't have to directly own a TV station to control what it shows (by threatening to cancel its licenses, suing it into oblivion, forcing it to adhere to strict regulations via laws on what it can't and cannot show, etc.).

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 6, 2017

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
And endlessly running cadenas to block their programming.

So I guess we can firmly say this insurrection was a dud?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

qkkl posted:

I highly doubt the families abandoned their farms because they didn't know how to grow food. It isn't hard to scatter some corn seeds and water them occasionally. They probably left because criminals demanded a large portion of their harvest or they would be killed.

And what do you know about it? From your posting it seems like you are completely ignorant: about farming, about Venezuela, and about Venezuelan farming. Do you have anything to say that demonstrates otherwise, or any way to back up this statement?

Play fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 7, 2017

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Gozinbulx posted:

The Army is in charge of the CLAP food distribution program and the PDVSA which gives them basically an unlimited way of skimming oil profits and selling food on the black market. When Maduro's popularity started falling he cut them in on the racket.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sergg posted:

The Army is in charge of the CLAP food distribution program and the PDVSA which gives them basically an unlimited way of skimming oil profits and selling food on the black market. When Maduro's popularity started falling he cut them in on the racket.

There will come a time when there's not enough being skimmed off the top or being sold on the black market, and that's when Maduro is absolutely hosed.
That's not now though.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

And endlessly running cadenas to block their programming.

I don't know yet, we'll find out this week.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Schlesische posted:

There will come a time when there's not enough being skimmed off the top or being sold on the black market, and that's when Maduro is absolutely hosed.
That's not now though.

This is why I don't quite understand why several people think the US stopping to do business with Maduro's regime would be all that bad of a thing. I mean, I don't like that it would be the US tangentially enforcing regime change on Venezuela, but is it honestly better for the people for this to happen in a more 'organic' way, i.e. the major PDVSA pumping stations and port collapse in a massive explosion due to poor maintenance? If there is a huge collapse in the regime funding, won't they have to allow humanitarian aid in? If the PDVSA suddenly collapses then Maduro won't even be able to keep up the pretense that "all is fine and dandy here, nothing to see here". How could it be worse than the current humanitarian disaster? Wouldn't it mean aid gets let in -> people are actually better off than they are now? The only downside that I see is that it leads credence to the now-baseless claims that the CIA/USA is waging economic war on Venezuela, but idiots believe that already anyway.

I'm very curious on your take on this now, Chuck, if you're willing to postulate. But it seems to me that the chances for democratic regime change in Venezuela at this point are somewhat lower than Cuba's and somewhat higher than North Korea's. I mean the only two possibilities I can see for VZ are: there will either be a military coup (likely), or there will be complete societal collapse and Venezuela will become the Somalia of Latin America (much less likely). Is there some reason it's better to wait for (1) to happen in two years—which seems inevitable after Venezuela has zero monetary reserves and the inability to fund their debt means no imports and the oil industry finally collapses after the Chinese stop caring? Would it not be better for the regime to collapse while there is at least a tiny bit of possibility for the next government to not be crushed under the weight of Maduro's failures?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Saladman posted:

This is why I don't quite understand why several people think the US stopping to do business with Maduro's regime would be all that bad of a thing. I mean, I don't like that it would be the US tangentially enforcing regime change on Venezuela, but is it honestly better for the people for this to happen in a more 'organic' way, i.e. the major PDVSA pumping stations and port collapse in a massive explosion due to poor maintenance? If there is a huge collapse in the regime funding, won't they have to allow humanitarian aid in? If the PDVSA suddenly collapses then Maduro won't even be able to keep up the pretense that "all is fine and dandy here, nothing to see here". How could it be worse than the current humanitarian disaster? Wouldn't it mean aid gets let in -> people are actually better off than they are now? The only downside that I see is that it leads credence to the now-baseless claims that the CIA/USA is waging economic war on Venezuela, but idiots believe that already anyway.

The problem is a lot of people would die in the process. The US is basically the government's biggest cash cow, despite all the baseless crap people keep talking about economic war. Take that money away and suddenly the government will have to slash what little imports it's bringing in almost in their entirety. The thing is you're assuming the government would do the logical thing and open a humanitarian aid channel, but they've already proven they don't care too much about thousands of people dying, so even that can't be certain. Even if they do, can humanitarian aid feed the entire country? Because at least now there's some level of imports coming in. It's not enough, but it's something.

Now, places like Caracas have plenty of businesses smuggling things in and selling them at black market prices, but small towns? Those would basically get wiped off the map since there's hardly enough food getting there as is. Plus, forget about government subsidized products in that scenario – everyone would be forced to buy food at black market prices and considering over 80% of the population is now very poor, they wouldn't be able to make ends meet.

Sure, the longer Maduro stays in power the more people will die anyway, but drastic sanctions on PDVSA and other areas of the economy (although let's be honest, you only need to sanction the former) would trigger a massive humanitarian crisis that would fuel anti-US sentiment for decades to come. I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of making that decision.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I haven't heard anything about that dam they opened yesterday other than the video posted in here. Is the flooding bad?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If the CIA was involved the tilt would have already happened. and it hasnt. Maybe the CIA wsbinvolved in the beginnung but at this point they dont need to torpedo a sinking ship

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Probably nothing new for anyone who's been following this thread for a while, but here's a good long interview with Hannah Dreier, for the last three years correspondent for the Associated Press in Venezuela. A snippet:

quote:

Glasser: So, that’s not even like, black market available, but at a price? Food was available to you at a higher price, but water you couldn’t get?

Dreier: Yes. I mean, there was just no way to insulate yourself from the crisis when you were there. And the thing you really can’t insulate yourself from is violence. So, I was robbed in broad daylight a couple of blocks from where I lived by two men on a motorcycle, and I kind of saw them coming and thought they might rob me, because that was happening to a lot of people at the time, and then they did. And when I told my friends about it, they were, like, “Oh, that was a good robbery. Nobody got hurt. That was good and simple.” And so your standards just start to change.

Glasser: But you adapt.

Dreier: Yes. And you don’t tell the people at home what’s happening because you don’t want to worry your friends and family. So really, the people you’re telling are other people going through the same thing, and it just becomes normalized.

The same thing happened when the secret police grabbed me one day. I was in detention for a few hours and they made all these threats—like, they said they were going to slit my throat; they said they were going to keep me for weeks and weeks; they said I had to stay there until I married one of them—and when I got out, I told my friends, and they thought it was super funny. So, I also started joking about it, and we got drinks, and it was just like another thing that happened.

Glasser: You were relieved that they weren’t kidnappers when they grabbed you off the streets?

Dreier: Yes. Well, they calculated it to be as scary as possible. They rolled up and took me right after I did an interview, and snatched my phone away, and wouldn’t say where we were going or what was happening. So, I assumed it was a kidnapping, which would not have been funny. So when we passed through the gates of the secret police headquarters, I was just so relieved. It was just all uphill from there.

Glasser: Yes, you know you’ve lost a little perspective when it’s a good thing to be detained by the secret police, right? Thank God!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BBC reporting the incident at fuerte paramacay was probably not an effortto seize the whole base, but was rather a smash and grab attempt to abscond with arms and other military supplies. Their correspondent believes it probably succeeded.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus. "Oh, thank God, I only got kidnapped by the secret police, it could've been worse."

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Probably nothing new for anyone who's been following this thread for a while, but here's a good long interview with Hannah Dreier, for the last three years correspondent for the Associated Press in Venezuela. A snippet:

This was a great read! Thanks for posting it.

Squalid posted:

BBC reporting the incident at fuerte paramacay was probably not an effortto seize the whole base, but was rather a smash and grab attempt to abscond with arms and other military supplies. Their correspondent believes it probably succeeded.

The Ministry of Defense issued a statement yesterday in which it said that some of the attackers had managed to get away. Since they only captured seven, if if we go by the ~20 people that appears in the manifesto video, that's about 13 people involved in this thing who are still free.

In any case, the BBC report might be accurate, since the attackers did manage to steal quite a bit of stuff: [urk=https://twitter.com/RCamachoVzla/status/894292888330412032]about 93 AK-103s and 40 M6L grenade launchers[/url] (Note: I say "40" grenade launchers and not the "04" reported by Roman Camacho because that was probably a typo on his part. If only four grenade launchers had been stolen, Roman would have written "4").

Despite the fact that the army continues to paint itself as a "united monolith" that radiates chavista love for all of the men, women and children of Venezuela, the big takeaway here is that there are groups of soldiers out there who are willing to risk death by going on the record against Maduro and attacking military bases.

Comrayn posted:

I haven't heard anything about that dam they opened yesterday other than the video posted in here. Is the flooding bad?

Sections of the city of Puerto Ordaz (Pop.: ~1 million) have been flooded due to the issues at the Guri dam. A National Assembly deputy for Bolivar state (which is where the dam is located) has said that the reason for the flooding has to do with the fact that the government didn't get the timing of the closing/opening of the floodgates right... whoops!

Feinne posted:

Venegoons, has there been any solid information on some of the increases in disease that were being noted last year/early this year? I'm feeling really concerned for the potential for something really unpleasant to pop up on the ground and no amount of Telesur bullshitting and CIA blaming stops poo poo outcomes if there's like a yellow fever outbreak.

Back in early May, the Ministry of Health released some official statistics showing that in 2016, infant mortality had increased 30% and maternal mortality had increased 65.79% as a result of the ongoing collapse of the healthcare system.

Diphtheria had also made a comeback (it had been eradicated in the country about 24 years ago), with 324 cases in 2016 and at least 86 cases in the first four months of 2017.

There was an increase in malaria cases in 2016 of 76.4%. There were 240,613 recorded cases in 2016, up from 136,402 in 2015 and 75,000 in 2013.

I'm not sure about other infectious diseases, but I think I might venture a case that the situation with other diseases will also be "not great". Venezuela's going through a perfect storm for health right now: chronic shortages of medicine and basic medical supplies, coupled with a general lack of education regarding outbreaks/disease prevention, and on top of that a government that would rather have people died of preventable causes rather than admit that there's a healthcare crisis happening.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
The malaria number is probably scariest, since an increase like that at some level suggests a high likelihood for a generic increase in mosquito-borne illness. The only bloodsuckers more dangerous to Venezuela than the PSUV. :(

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I suspect that the people in the military who are feeling rebellious are probably the ones in the lower ranks who arn't seeing much, if any of the bribe money the PSUV is shuffling to the military.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There are probably going to be more smash and grab attacks on the military and colectivos in the future, since they have a monopoly on guns and explosives.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chuck Boone posted:

There were reports of two more army bases (one in Zulia and one in Lara) that were supposedly involved in the rebellion, but like fnox said it's really hard to tell what's going on. All we can do is wait for the dust to settle.

What appears to have happened is that these rebellious soldiers launched the attack on the base and were either repelled and forced to flee, or succeeded in raiding the base for equipment and managed to escape. In either case, there were two or three helicopters flying around the base for much of the morning, and they were particularly interested in wooded and mountainous areas not too far from the base. The rumour mill is pointing to 7 captured and two killed in the attack.

The army released a video with the base commander and his troops taken inside of Fuerte Paramacay showing that the base was firmly under control.

Unfortunately I have to step out now for most of the day and I won't have cellphone service :ohdear:

Getting a Reichstag Fire vibe tbh...

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Getting a Reichstag Fire vibe tbh...

Not talking about it and actively suppressing information related to it would kinda defeat the purpose of a false flag. Given the perpetrators it would also imply the target of this false flag is the military.

So, yeah, probably not.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ugh its Troika posted:

I suspect that the people in the military who are feeling rebellious are probably the ones in the lower ranks who arn't seeing much, if any of the bribe money the PSUV is shuffling to the military.

The take this morning from the reporter NPR interviewed on the subject was that the top brass, whose pockets are stuffed by PSUV oil money, are likely to remain on Maduro's side, and the lower ranks are likely to have similar opinions to the population at large, so all eyes are on the middle ranks to see if they're willing to break. If so it would represent a much larger fracture in Maduro's hold on power.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Since we're on the flooding talk: Civil Protection [which is run by the government] says that the flooding isn't at all related to anything having to do with the Guri dam, so here's an article on that for the record.

Oscar Perez, the renegade CICPC agent who attacked government buildings in Caracas from a helicopter, spoke in a 15-minute interview with Patricia Poleo (a divisive journalist in Venezuela), and he said that PDVSA ships are routinely used for drug-smuggling operations. Perez made the comments in his capacity as a (former) CICPC officer, whose job it was to investigate criminal activity. On the regime's role in perpetrating and covering up crimes, Perez said:

quote:

We've seen lots of cases in which la impunidad a quedado al rojo vivo [Roughly, this means something like "investigations have been abandoned while the crimes were fresh"). When we started to investigate and realize that there is a link [to a government official], we have to report to their superior, and they tell us that the investigation has to be stopped.

There have been two protest-related casualties in the last 24 hours:
  • Willmerys Zerpa (20): Shot by a colectivo armado while protesting in Ciudad Bolivar, Bolivar state on Sunday night. She died of her injuries today. Two of her friends were seriously wounded in the same attack.

• Eduardo Orozco (18): Shot while protesting against the government in Cabudare, Lara state. Orozco was allegedly shot by agents from the CONAS, which is an anti-kidnapping unit (attached to the National Guard, I think) which has been really active in protest repression operations in recent weeks.
My count for protest-related casualties is 135, but I just saw that a Venezuelan NGO (OVS) has a tally of 160 fatalities. I really don't know where they're getting that number!

Also, here's a video that has been making a big splash on social media since it was posted this weekend. It shows one of the heads of the Consejo Nacional Electoral, Socorro Hernandez, being confronted by a group of indignant Venezuelans at a supermarket somewhere in the country. Hernandez is a key player in the regime for her role in rigging elections and helping to keep Maduro in power, and is widely viewed as having a direct role in the destruction of the country and the perpetuation of the dictatorship.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMb2yItdF8

Maduro responded to the video yesterday by promising to lock up everyone who hurt Hernandez's feelings. Also, the supermarket in which the video was recorded was [url=http://www.noticierodigital.com/2017/08/sancionaron-el-negocio-donde-confrontaron-a-socorro-hernandez/closed today by regime bureaucrats for an unspecified infraction[/url].

Polidoro posted:

The Paraguay thing wasn't really a coup though. Their constitution allows congress to vote the president out and they did.

Paraguay was suspended because they refused to let Venezuela be a member.

This is from the last page--I'm sorry for missing it.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm actually not at all familiar with Paraguay's 2012 expulsion and was going off news articles that I found covering the story at the time. I'm sure that as with many other things there were lots of juicy machinations happening behind the scenes in this case. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Those guys probably just stole the guns because they're worth money and their families are starving

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
The MUD has made - what the people consider - a big big misstep.

They are agreeing to partake in upcoming elections. With one of their main leader's saying they believe that the "Path out of this Dictatorship is through elections.". Despite the fact that the National Electoral Council (CNE) has been proven now to just basically be a tool of Maduro and the PSUV. Those elections will be undoubtedly rigged.

But that wouldn't even be necesarry considering what the PSUV plan do to with the Supreme Court and the Constituent Assembly: which is outlawing the opposition from running for positions in every single state they have a chance - and arresting the current sitting opposition mayors and governors - and any other political figure that threatens their power.

Just this morning the Supreme Court handed down a judgement and issues arrest warrant for [Ramon Muchacho](https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram%C3%B3n_Muchacho) popular Mayor of the Chacao Region. The judgement also includes the order that he be placed in custody by the States Secret Police (SEBIN)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sergg posted:

Those guys probably just stole the guns because they're worth money and their families are starving

Well, you can't exactly topple a totalitarian regime with 120 guns and a couple mortars and grenades, but people seem desperate for any hope offered.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Well, you can't exactly topple a totalitarian regime with 120 guns and a couple mortars and grenades, but people seem desperate for any hope offered.

Sure you can, there plenty of examples in history of popular revolutions working with even less.

There are probably 50 examples of everyone being murdered to every time a semi-bloodless popular revolution has been successful, though. I sure wouldn't get my hopes up here.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

The MUD has made - what the people consider - a big big misstep.

They are agreeing to partake in upcoming elections. With one of their main leader's saying they believe that the "Path out of this Dictatorship is through elections.". Despite the fact that the National Electoral Council (CNE) has been proven now to just basically be a tool of Maduro and the PSUV. Those elections will be undoubtedly rigged.

But that wouldn't even be necesarry considering what the PSUV plan do to with the Supreme Court and the Constituent Assembly: which is outlawing the opposition from running for positions in every single state they have a chance - and arresting the current sitting opposition mayors and governors - and any other political figure that threatens their power.

Just this morning the Supreme Court handed down a judgement and issues arrest warrant for [Ramon Muchacho](https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram%C3%B3n_Muchacho) popular Mayor of the Chacao Region. The judgement also includes the order that he be placed in custody by the States Secret Police (SEBIN)

CIA plants!!! Yankee-sponsored coup!! Imperia- oh wait.... the opposition still wants to hold elections despite Maduro arbitrarily writing his own Constitution and ignoring them for the last several years? Man where are my talking points for this one?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Some of the MUD's constituent parties deciding to run in the regional elections has formed part of a huge debate since the Constituent Assembly fraud. Part of the opposition (like Maria Corina Machado) say that participating in the regional elections is insane because we're at the stage of the game where the CNE makes up electoral results, which means that we already know who won the December vote. The argument goes that by participating in the elections, the opposition would be validating the regime and lending credence to a fraud. The other side of the argument (from people like Henry Ramos Allup and Freddy Guevara) is that people have died fighting for elections, and that the regime would want nothing more than for the opposition to boycott the vote so that they can win everything. Freddy Guevara also said yesterday that participating in the elections doesn't mean abandoning the streets, and that by running the regime might be forced to cancel the whole thing.

Here's some of what happened yesterday:
  • Delcy Rodriguez and a couple of other Constituent Assembly members broke into the legislative chambers of the National Assembly on Tuesday overnight and started setting up the room for a meeting the next day. They set up chairs and moved stuff around. The legislative chamber is where the National Assembly (used to) meet. The break-in was captured on the legislature's security cameras:

https://twitter.com/AsambleaVE/status/894724372769914880

Yesterday morning, when legislators tried to get into the building to do their work, they were met by a heavy military presence that prevented them from going into the building:

https://twitter.com/ReporteYa/status/894929607807381504

The end result of this is that the Constituent Assembly now meets inside the legislative chambers of the National Assembly and is for all intents and purposes the new legislative branch. I'm not sure where the real legislature will meet from now on, but the opposition threatened earlier to just meet somewhere else if they were to get kicked out of the National Assembly.

Let's pause for a second and thing about how grotesque this charade is: 13.3 million people (74% of the electorate) voted for these National Assembly deputies in 2015, both from the opposition and from the PSUV bloc. The legislature is supposed to sit until 2020, but just because the regime lost its majority in the National Assembly we know have this monster called the Constituent Assembly that somehow cancels out the 2015 elections. Every single one of the 13.3 million people who voted in 2015 has had a fundamental human right violated by the regime.

• The foreign affairs ministers of 17 countries signed onto a document yesterday after a meeting in Lima, Peru which they're calling the Lima Declaration, which among other things condemns "the rupture of the democratic order in Venezuela" and vows to ignore any decision made by the Constituent Assembly as it is a fraudulent and illegitimate body. The document also states support for the National Assembly.

• The Consejo Nacional Electoral issued a statement yesterday banning the MUD from posting candidates in seven states for the regional elections. The decision is a bit confusing for a whole bunch of reasons, one of them being that it sounds like the opposition is banned from running in seven states, but remember that the opposition and the MUD are not the same thing. The MUD is a coalition of opposition parties. In other words, the MUD's individual opposition parties can run in the regional elections in these states if they want.

The move is clearly designed to divide and conquer. By running a candidate under the MUD banner, you end up with two candidates on the ballot: the PSUV candidate and the opposition candidate. Now, you're going to have a bunch of candidates splitting the opposition vote vs. a PSUV candidate in these seven states.

Also, ThisIsWhyTrumpWon mentioned yesterday that another opposition mayor (Ramon Muchacho) had been removed from his post and sentenced to prison. Muchacho is the 5th opposition mayor who was been removed from office and/or arrested in 2 weeks, and the 11th in three years.

When the regime comes for the mayors, it's usually with contempt charges. The Supreme Court will often issue judicial orders for mayors to stop protests in their municipalities which is an impossible task to complete because 1) the right to peaceful protest is guaranteed in the Constitution, and 2) protest policing falls to the National Guard and the National Bolivarian Police, not municipal police forces.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I honestly don't get why anybody would think that the government would cancel elections if the opposition participates. The government can now drag the opposition into an election they can freely rig, that has now been legitimized by their participation.

Nobody wants to die for regional elections. What the people want is to get rid of Maduro at any cost, and all this is doing is extending Maduro's reign for a couple of useless positions that the government regularly tramples on and ignores. Have they not loving learned that by now?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

It's either that or get hauled off to jail by SEBIN, which will eventually happen to y'all anyways.

fnox
May 19, 2013

It's not even a remote possibility, there are dozens of mayors in jail for dissenting and many more under trial illicitly. The government literally doesn't give a single gently caress about losing those seats but the opposition leadership is so accustomed to losing they'll settle for anything.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Diosdado, one of the big figures in the constituent assembly and the PSUV is now saying anyone who wants to run for elections must receive a commendation of good conduct from the constituent assembly.

The whole thing is quickly moving towards a one party communist state.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Diosdado, one of the big figures in the constituent assembly and the PSUV is now saying anyone who wants to run for elections must receive a commendation of good conduct from the constituent assembly.

At the rate things are going calling it a "state" might be a stretch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

At the rate things are going calling it a "state" might be a stretch.

More like "in state". :smith:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Lol alright. MUD is really going to lend themselves to this charade? Christ.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The opposition mayor of El Hatillo, David Smolansky, was removed from his post and sentenced to 15 months in prison by the Supreme Court yesterday. The Supreme Court's decision is idential to one it made on Tuesday regarding another opposition mayor, Ramon Muchacho of Chacao.

I haven't been keeping track, but the figure that Smolansky was throwing around the other day is that there have now been six opposition mayors (including himself) removed from office and/or sentenced to prison in the past two weeks, and 12 in the last three years.

The Supreme Court's rulings in all of these cases are that the mayors are in contempt of previous orders to stop protests in their municipalities. I've said it before but I'll briefly say it again: a court order to stop a protest in a municipality is illegal and impossible to obey. The right to peaceful protest is set out in the constitution, and municipalities do not have the power to engage in protest policing activities.

It's also worth pointing out that even though there have been protests all around the country since April, only opposition popular opposition mayors are singled out for removal/arrest.

The PSUV is doing through the Supreme Court what it could not do through the voting booth: removing popular opposition figures from their positions.

Gozinbulx posted:

Lol alright. MUD is really going to lend themselves to this charade? Christ.
Yes, the MUD announced yesterday that it would run in the regional elections. The way they explained it is that they know the election is rigged, that the PSUV will cheat to win, etc., but they still figure that showing up is worth it just on principle. As one MUD official put it in a press conference yesterday, the opposition wants to fight the regime on every terrain.

It's a really tough choice. I don't know which is the correct one: to run, or not to run. If you don't run, then you make the regime's job a whole lot easier because they sweep the board, plus you're denying millions of people the chance to voice their opinions on election day. If you do run, you're lending legitimacy to an electoral system that has been demonstrated to be a complete farce and you're playing a rigged game.

I don't know--what do other people think about this?

This is so messed up. Cabello also said that the Constituent Assembly "is really sovereign" (which makes as little sense in Spanish as it does in English), and that while it's only meeting for two years "it could decide to [rule] for four or six years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

The offensive part is truly that they're asking for participation in the regional elections at the expense of what people actually want them to do, which is to seek the immediate removal of Maduro and lead to the establishment of a transitional government. Had they actually played ball the government wouldn't have had a chance to rig the regional elections because they would have been out by December.