Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A bit late but Snow is unironically a better character than any pre-FF7 protagonist. He's basically just Locke but kind of cool instead of really lame thief.

Bartz is Snow grounded in reality. Though I can see preferring Snow for being so god-drat self-involved in his bullshit that he's oblivious to the reality around him. There's some good humor to just how hard first-half-of-FF13 Snow buys into his "I'M A HERO" bullshit (if only to dull the pain of his girlfriend becoming a rock and accidentally leading a tough mom into a suicide mission).

I wonder if Snow would've been even more likable if Hope murdered him. I'm sure Hope would've been more likable at least.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NikkolasKing posted:

This but replace Quistis with Seifer. I've always loved Seifer and his role within the story is perfect. He just needed better writing that kept him relevant.

I, too, like Seifer for some weird reason.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

I remember hearing that Vaan and Penelo weren't originally going to even be in FFXII but the higher ups insisted that they include them to appeal to teens and it really shows. Ashe is really the main character of the game, with Basch and Balthier dealing with their family issues after that. Vaan and Penelo are just kind of... there and along for the ride and don't really do anything.

About how frequently does this "fact" get brought up in this thread? Once a week?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

About how frequently does this "fact" get brought up in this thread? Once a week?

Less often than arguments about FFXIII

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Vagrant Story is an amazing game they should do a remaster of with a better inventory system

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bartz really genuinely doesn't have much of a personality outside of the GBA translation and even then it's pretty minimal. He's not a blank slate but he's a pretty generic adventurer with some funny moments. Which isn't bad but he isn't really a lot like Snow who is genuinely basically "Locke except exactly Locke."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The bigger question is how many times is that fact brought up by the exact same people

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bartz is a good guy with a dumb head and I appreciate his honesty.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A bit late but Snow is unironically a better character than any pre-FF7 protagonist. He's basically just Locke but kind of cool instead of really lame thief.

actually locke is a treasure hunter

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Probably as many times as people talk about that game? Like it's a ~2100 page megathread, conversation are gonna repeat here and there. God knows how many times people have riffed on the lovely FF6 ports or Spin-offs not getting FF7's setting/characters/tone right.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

actually locke is a treasure hunter

The only treasure found was his girlfriends corpse.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Locke is a better character because unlike Snow Locke has a weird hang up about his genuinely dead girlfriend, as opposed to Snow's weird hang up about his immortal, still sort of alive crystal girlfriend.

EDIT: Oh wait, Locke's girlfriend was also in suspended animation until Locke's cutscene in the WoR where her spirit forgives him and allows him to move on as she dies, wasn't she? Oh gently caress, they ARE basically the same character. If you like Locke, you must also like Snow then.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Locke had to put effort and hire a guy to put his girlfriend into suspended animation. Snow kinda lucked out in that regard.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the other thing to remember is that locke is in his mid 20s so poo poo happened to him in his teens and he's spent the better part of a decade wandering and b&e to sustain his weird vagabond way of avoiding coping with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

the other thing to remember is that locke is in his mid 20s so poo poo happened to him in his teens and he's spent the better part of a decade wandering and b&e to sustain his weird vagabond way of avoiding coping with it

That's pretty much what Snow ends up doing except it involves running a party town for a thousand years.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Locke is nothing like Snow because Locke is fun and cool and Snow is just super annoying all the time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Counterpoint: Locke is not fun and cool because Stealing is a pain and because of the aforementioned issues stated above. Snow is also not fun and cool because, as stated above, they are the same guy. Has anyone ever seen Locke and Snow in the same room? There you go.

Makes you think.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

In spite of Lightning's trying to bring Snow down to reality, the entire game is about "I reject your reality and substitute my own" right down to when our heroes do exactly what the villain tells hem to do but the y believe really hard that it won't actually do what the villains said it would. And oh look, everyone is okay and Serah is rescued so I guess it was a good thing they rushed in recklessly and punched the robogods a lot.

I think this is the plot of 12 as well

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Locke gets over his dead girlfriend, while Snow is still holding depression keggers a bajillion years after his girlfriend "died"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SNOT CORN posted:

I think this is the plot of 12 as well

12 is two separate factions going "Aha by trying to subvert one enemy you've played right into my hands!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Locke gets over his dead girlfriend, while Snow is still holding depression keggers a bajillion years after his girlfriend "died"

Well, Locke gets over it after he gets to bring his girlfriend back long enough to tell him to date the new woman he already met, compared to Snow living a few hundred undying years in a lovely hell-world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
stealing isn't so bad, the items generally aren't rare or better than what you'll find in shops so it's better if you treat it as more of a bonus. once you unlock mug, you should be using that almost exclusively. the only thing keeping locke from being the best he can be is that steal ring + thief glove locks him out of important defensive options like ribbons and safety bit, or hosed up offensive options like genji glove.

in a later ff where they learned the flaws of their previous designs, his ultimate weapon would have the thief knife effect and his ultimate headgear would have protection against -really- bad status effects like confusion or stop

wait gently caress im replying to gologle

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best story in Lightning Returns was (I think it was him who said this) Noel's account of how he, Hope and Snow decided to fix everything after XIII-2. These few lines, paired with a little flashback, is sort of like the "what if X-2 was about Braska, Auron and Jecht" for me. Our heroes struggling for centuries to set things right and save the universe, and failing miserably until they all end up the depressed and crazed folks we see in LR, is legitimately poignant.

It's not just about Serah dying for Snow. It's that he tried to be a hero for a few hundred years and couldn't cut it because God is an rear end in a top hat.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 7, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My Hands was a good song and the FF13 franchise is better for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

Counterpoint: Locke is not fun and cool because Stealing is a pain and because of the aforementioned issues stated above. Snow is also not fun and cool because, as stated above, they are the same guy. Has anyone ever seen Locke and Snow in the same room? There you go.

Makes you think.

It's not stealing

It's treasure hunting

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I thought it was a nice song. Same for XIII-2's "New World."

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's very thematically appropriate for the 13 franchise. Stand By Me is also very appropriate for XV, but the first verse is maybe a bit too on the nose, but it's still extremely good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TurnipFritter posted:

"In the end, only kindness matters." - Lightning

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

It's very thematically appropriate for the 13 franchise. Stand By Me is also very appropriate for XV, but the first verse is maybe a bit too on the nose, but it's still extremely good.

I love that cover so much. Stand By Me for whatever reason has been covered in a lot of recent movies, but the Florence + The Machine version is definitely the best cover. Captures the magic of the original and adds its own spin to it in a good way.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This is a small thing, but considering how much the artwork of Amano reminds me of old fantasy novels, I wish Cecil's final dark weapon was called Stormbringer.

Stand by Me is really good, Florence and the Machine's cover of it less so.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

TurnipFritter posted:

12 is two separate factions going "Aha by trying to subvert one enemy you've played right into my hands!"

Actually its about a kind hearted demon manipulating people into doing something good that he probably could have just asked nicely for instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why is everyone ranking putting Vaan in their FF protagonist rankings when Ashe is clearly the story's real protagonist? :colbert:

ROFL Octopus posted:

Cloud is never dark and brooding. He's either

a) A cocky rear end in a top hat
b) A vegetable
c) A pretty standard hero who doesn't quite grasp how to be cool

depending on where you are in the game.

Yep. For some reason, people just remember the times that Cloud does get broody and/or their perception of Cloud is colored by his Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children portrayals.

In the actual game, he mostly just spends his time trying to be cool and being a huge loving dork and it's great. Early on he thinks he's a cool badass and acts like his badassery is self-evident and excuses cockiness; later, he turns around and tries to be an actual hero and just kinda fails to be cool in a really endearing way. I was surprised by this on my last replay of FF7, because I remembered him being a broody, boring piece of poo poo and he really never was that kind of character at all.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Who knew that KH replacing Vincent with cloud at the last minute could do some damage to how people remember Cloud.
Even I thought cloud really was a brooding guy

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was kind of irked by Advent Children because I was thinking "Cloud wasn't this loving mopey in FF7".

"Let's mosey" isn't something an emo person says!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
let's mosey is a pretty loose translation, and that's not what he said in japan

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cloud comes off as more cocky in the Japanese translation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Does he say something super casual or something, or something totally different?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

corn in the bible posted:

It's all I got to work on, man!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

Does he say something super casual or something, or something totally different?

he says "let's go," basically, but not in a commanding way so barrett gets annoyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Because I hate myself I'm playing 15 again. Why is the camera so horrible in this game?