Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

BiggerBoat posted:

So apart from all that was it OK?

Best movie of the year otherwise.

For some reason I thought Goldsman had written good movies early in his career, but looking at his filmography, they're all terrible, so I must be thinking of someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
apparently, bafflingly, king was very happy with the film

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chernobyl kinsman posted:

apparently, bafflingly, king was very happy with the film
King has weird-rear end opinions on people touching his work.

And Goldsmith is practically the poster child for failing upwards. My guess is somewhere in the international market his products do gangbusters because you barely need context to watch his movies, coupled with the usual powerful connections to get his foot in the door.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Also he might be contractually obligated to praise/refrain from poo poo-talking about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't think you can hard-contract that, although I'm probably wrong. It's definitely unwise to, and he's been in the business more than long enough to know that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he is getting older.

maybe he likes maximum overdrive

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mind the walrus posted:

King has weird-rear end opinions on people touching his work.

YEs. I'm hoping he really really hates "IT"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brocktoon posted:

Best movie of the year otherwise.

For some reason I thought Goldsman had written good movies early in his career, but looking at his filmography, they're all terrible, so I must be thinking of someone else.

A beautiful mind and Cinderella man are both good movies imo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're not bad movies, but I wouldn't say the writing was the strong suit of either.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

oldpainless posted:

A beautiful mind and Cinderella man are both good movies imo

more like old russelcrowfanboy er.. less.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Koburn posted:

...and Asimov's Caves of Steel listed as his upcoming projects :(

noooooo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
that's good because asimov sucks

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
So I just finished Salem's Lot and I'm not sure what to think about it. I loved the back half but thought the first was kind of crappy. Felt like King was really trying to build up the characters in the town to get you more invested but I just wasn't a fan of the way he did it in this book, maybe it's cause I've read The Stand and Tommyknockers before this one and I think King built up those settings so much better. Maybe it's just that this was his first attempt at

Definitely a weird King book in that the first half was a slog to get through but then the back half is amazing with a solid ending. Complete opposite of how his newer books tend to be.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

A Typical Goon posted:

So I just finished Salem's Lot and I'm not sure what to think about it. I loved the back half but thought the first was kind of crappy. Felt like King was really trying to build up the characters in the town to get you more invested but I just wasn't a fan of the way he did it in this book, maybe it's cause I've read The Stand and Tommyknockers before this one and I think King built up those settings so much better. Maybe it's just that this was his first attempt at

Definitely a weird King book in that the first half was a slog to get through but then the back half is amazing with a solid ending. Complete opposite of how his newer books tend to be.

I loved every moment spent on the townies of the Lot. That said it was one of my first King books, but I have read it too many times to count over the years. It would be in my top 5 of King books.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

Maybe it's just that this was his first attempt at
I think it was, but I'm not an expert on King's bibliography.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mind the walrus posted:

I think it was, but I'm not an expert on King's bibliography.

Yeah he published Carrie in 1974 and Salem's Lot in 1975. He'd been doing short stories for quite a few years beforehand, professionally, but nothing on the level of really building up a location.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Didn't he write The Long Walk when he was 19?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Didn't he write The Long Walk when he was 19?

A lot of the Bachman works were started when he was a young kid only getting published in his high school and college magazines, but weren't finished and published in book form until later. Long Walk was one of those. The first part of the Gunslinger was also one of those.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Stephen King would like to see Lisey's Story as the next adaptation of his work.

I've never read it myself, but wasn't it the novel full of baby talk and stuff?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SilentChaz posted:

Stephen King would like to see Lisey's Story as the next adaptation of his work.

I've never read it myself, but wasn't it the novel full of baby talk and stuff?

He's said it's his favorite book that he's written. I didn't hate it as much as most and found it sort of OK overall. Not as bad as I'd heard and not very memorable but not terrible. King has a weird relationship to me towards judging his own art, but that's not uncommon amongst artists.

I'm a painter and almost everyone puts my least liked work amongst their favorites out of the stuff I've done

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Liseys story loving sucks!!!!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Welp, that's that then. Next topic.

I heard they're making a two part IT movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm a painter and almost everyone puts my least liked work amongst their favorites out of the stuff I've done
Got a link? I want to disappoint you.

And yeah I recall an interview with Brando where he was asked what he thought his best work was-- he answered with some 1960s movie no one ever mentions when talking about Marlon Brando. It's definitely a thing that happens.

oldpainless posted:

I don't know if it gets better but I read the first 80 or so pages one summer and it legitimately read like Stephen King was writing fanfiction about his wife.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

oldpainless posted:

ive read all his books except that one cuz i couldnt get more than a hundred pages in

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Liseys story smucking sucks!!!!

Fixed that for you buddy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The next King novel sounds like Jose Saramago's Blindness and Orange is the New Black and Children of Men and has cocoons.

I'm not planning to rush to my book store for that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
huh you're not kidding

quote:

In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place...
The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease. Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied? Or is she a demon who must be slain?
Set in a small Appalachian town whose primary employer is a women's prison, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is a wildly provocative, gloriously absorbing father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King.

this sounds like YA fic honestly. it is also more than 700 pages long.

anyway gwendy's button box was good

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 9, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
In a future so real and near it might be now... the most implausible poo poo ever occurs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In a future so real and near it might be now... the most implausible poo poo ever occurs

Yeah but that is our now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You don't know a lot of women who sleep in magic cocoons?

Or do you mean the part about a profitable business in Appalachia?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Next Stephen King movie should be Insomnia, done competently.

Also, King will hate it to add icing on the cake.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Diabetic posted:

Next Stephen King movie should be Insomnia, done competently.

I could see that, actually, even though I didn't care for the book much.

The trouble with translating King to film, especially his scarier more far out stuff, is that so much takes place in the mind of the protagonist and their inner narrative. I actually think Gerald's Game will make a good movie since it's largely grounded and the crazy poo poo can be handled be fever dream hallucinations. Along those lines...

No one has any thoughts on the Mr. Mercedes TV show? I didn't watch it but heard it was...um....OK. I didn't realize it was a series and thought it was a one off or a two parter. Was it any good?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BiggerBoat posted:

No one has any thoughts on the Mr. Mercedes TV show? I didn't watch it but heard it was...um....OK. I didn't realize it was a series and thought it was a one off or a two parter. Was it any good?

Wait, it already came out? I thought the series hadn't even launched yet?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Wait, it already came out? I thought the series hadn't even launched yet?

I though it was last night? I saw an AV Club review up.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BiggerBoat posted:

I though it was last night? I saw an AV Club review up.

Oh, huh, looks like it did, neat. Looks like I'll have to check up on :siren: ILLEGAL FILE SHARING WORLD WIDE WEB PAGES :siren: since this is apparently being broadcast on the absolute dumbest new streaming service yet and there isn't even a roadmap I can find for ever being able to watch it down here.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
mr mercedes is by david e kelly

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BiggerBoat posted:

I could see that, actually, even though I didn't care for the book much.

The trouble with translating King to film, especially his scarier more far out stuff, is that so much takes place in the mind of the protagonist and their inner narrative. I actually think Gerald's Game will make a good movie since it's largely grounded and the crazy poo poo can be handled be fever dream hallucinations. Along those lines...

Its a lot like Lovecraft, but with a lot less racism and anti-semitism. There is a reason the best lovecraft adaptation is Re-Animator

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There is a reason the best lovecraft adaptation is Re-Animator

In The Mouth of Madness, From Beyond and The Thing would all like to have a word with you.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Franchescanado posted:

In The Mouth of Madness, From Beyond and The Thing would all like to have a word with you.

What? The Thing isn't lovecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

What? The Thing isn't lovecraft.

Not directly, but it's Lovecraftian. From Beyond was the only direct adaptation I listed.