Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Breakfast All Day posted:

anyway this is the worst connector

confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ive been tryin to find harsh weather connectors (salt spray/immersion for extended durations) for an istp and hoo boy is it hard to find anything nevermind anything less than $500 a connector

not sure i trust IP69K for like... real nasty poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

does it have to connect where it will be immersed?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yep, in many but not all cases

corrosion resistance is probably a bigger concern than ingress protection because i don't think the ingress environment itself will be particularly nasty, just the salinity and duration

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

for the not all cases look at submersible flexible conduit to get the connection out of whatever liquid it's going to sit in

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

real nasty poo poo

txt me :wink:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Bloody posted:

yep, in many but not all cases

corrosion resistance is probably a bigger concern than ingress protection because i don't think the ingress environment itself will be particularly nasty, just the salinity and duration

Guessing some of the SEA PATROL folks could hook you up with some state of the art underwater tech.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

Guessing some of the SEA PATROL folks could hook you up with some state of the art underwater tech.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Jimmy Carter posted:

got 500+ pins to connect? Love BGAs? Has Amphenol got a solution for you!

the G4 cpu connector?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
amphenol sounds like something your grandpa would take with dinner

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DJ Commie posted:

the G4 cpu connector?

did the later G4 use those too? i was thinking G5, but you beat me to it

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Raluek posted:

did the later G4 use those too? i was thinking G5, but you beat me to it

yeah, my old dp g4 did, I never taken the CPUs out of my g5 to see what horrors lie beneath

burning swine
May 26, 2004

magsafe definitely the best connector 100%

Sagebrush posted:

fully gasketed waterproof deutsch-style connectors for anything external

awww yeah thats the stuff

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DJ Commie posted:

yeah, my old dp g4 did, I never taken the CPUs out of my g5 to see what horrors lie beneath

huh, same but the opposite

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i'll have you k ow this solution works

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

i'll have you k ow this solution works

are you the previous owner of my truck

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

aka i wonder what the dielectric strength of packing tape is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

are you the previous owner of my truck

lol if opening up the hood/bonnet to check your oil doesn't require full welding face masks and equipment

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poo poo aluminium cable :barf:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

poo poo aluminium cable :barf:

i don't think aluminium Romex came stranded, so i assume it's tinned copper

my parents bought an old house in Hawaii and it was all knob&tube connected to aluminium Romex

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I like these little hardline connectors, maybe the only connector as deadly as that scary looking jumble of wires up the page a bit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I like these little hardline connectors, maybe the only connector as deadly as that scary looking jumble of wires up the page a bit

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

literally my first thought lmao

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

magsafe definitely the best connector 100%

awww yeah thats the stuff

Lol how did you manage to gently caress up a mag safe connector

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

My Linux Rig posted:

Lol how did you manage to gently caress up a mag safe connector

apple is pathologically unable to build a connector with working strain relief

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
do you people just pull cables out by the cord or some loving thing? jfc

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doc Block posted:

you're pulling out wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple makes phones that bend and cables that don't.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
at least apple can make a phone that people will buy :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

i kinda whack mine off, but by the magsafe bit

if they didnt want it to fall off easily it would have come with thumbscrews

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

:lol:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Shaggar posted:

Lmfao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the tiny gold leaf spring connectors SGI used to use for their late internal interconnects

the Symbolics console's 12-pin HIROSE connectors

just kidding, both of those are loving awful

the SGI gold leaf springs were prone to disappearing because they were so tiny and fragile, rendering exceptionally expensive hardware useless

the Symbolics console cables were notoriously easy to mis-seat despite theoretically both keyed and locking, resulting in shorts that could damage both the console (as expensive as a PC) and the Lisp Machine (as expensive as a sports car, or possibly a house)

bonus: the Symbolics console uses ECL voltage levels despite most of the hardware in both the console and the workstation being TTL, making it doubly difficult to deal with and repair. it does so because the workstation sends the pixels as a phase-encoded 160 MHz digital signal, using discreet ECL to do the encoding and decoding. in 1983.

about the only good things about the Symbolics console design were that it used differential ECL signaling to provide a bidirectional serial channel (multiplexed for control, keyboard, mouse, and the RS-232 port on back) plus the phase-encoded video and 44.1 kHz digital audio in a way that could be routed for dozens of meters, so you could literally have all the loud and hot Lisp Machines in a machine room in the basement and the consoles on desks many floors away

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

the tiny gold leaf spring connectors SGI used to use for their late internal interconnects

the Symbolics console's 12-pin HIROSE connectors

just kidding, both of those are loving awful

the SGI gold leaf springs were prone to disappearing because they were so tiny and fragile, rendering exceptionally expensive hardware useless

the Symbolics console cables were notoriously easy to mis-seat despite theoretically both keyed and locking, resulting in shorts that could damage both the console (as expensive as a PC) and the Lisp Machine (as expensive as a sports car, or possibly a house)

bonus: the Symbolics console uses ECL voltage levels despite most of the hardware in both the console and the workstation being TTL, making it doubly difficult to deal with and repair. it does so because the workstation sends the pixels as a phase-encoded 160 MHz digital signal, using discreet ECL to do the encoding and decoding. in 1983.

about the only good things about the Symbolics console design were that it used differential ECL signaling to provide a bidirectional serial channel (multiplexed for control, keyboard, mouse, and the RS-232 port on back) plus the phase-encoded video and 44.1 kHz digital audio in a way that could be routed for dozens of meters, so you could literally have all the loud and hot Lisp Machines in a machine room in the basement and the consoles on desks many floors away

post pics noob

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

quality shaggar post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

fart simpson posted:

quality shaggar post

• Locked thread