Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

there wolf posted:

Wallpaper is coming back, and you can get some really cool stuff with digital printing. Still kind of expensive, though, which is why I think people are doing the one-wall pop instead of whole rooms. I was debating this monstera print for a while.

We did a wallpaper accent wall in my girlfriend's office, she wanted some old damask shabby chic stuff. I think it turned out alright, but it was a giant pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The place I work at makes mobile shelters including self-expanding style. I haven't seen one in person due to them not having any orders in the 6 months I've been here so far, but apparently they're mostly used for flight simulators.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Iron Crowned posted:

The place I work at makes mobile shelters including self-expanding style. I haven't seen one in person due to them not having any orders in the 6 months I've been here so far, but apparently they're mostly used for flight simulators.

You work for Dahir Insaat??! :eyepop:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

You work for Dahir Insaat??! :eyepop:

no

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

How does a company stay solvent for 6 months with no orders? Is it a front for drug smuggling?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KillHour posted:

How does a company stay solvent for 6 months with no orders? Is it a front for drug smuggling?

We build a lot of things, just no expanding mobile shelters at the moment

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spog posted:

Looks cool but I bet the company name 'Tenfold' refers to the cost of their stuff, compared to existing products on the market.

At launch, they were talking around $130K.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Admitedly it's harder to do fancy patterns with paint, but considering how many godawful wallpaper patterns I've seen in old house photos...
You just need better wallpaper:

I won't bother linking every single picture because all of it is extremely my poo poo so click below and enter the wondrous world of wallpaper.

http://degournay.com/wallpapers

E: Oh this not the interior design thread. My bad. Enjoy the unsolicited wallpaper.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

People defending wallpaper in this thread lmao NOW I've seen EVERYTHING

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hey where did you find this photo of my bedroom before I took a loving sledgehammer to it all.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hey where did you find this photo of my bedroom before I took a loving sledgehammer to it all.
I hope you smashed that stupid side table first. It looks like crappy construction with its skinny little legs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hambilderberglar posted:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hambilderberglar posted:

I won't bother linking every single picture because all of it is extremely my poo poo so click below and enter the wondrous world of wallpaper.

http://degournay.com/wallpapers

E: Oh this not the interior design thread. My bad. Enjoy the unsolicited wallpaper.
why the gently caress did you take pictures of my grandparents' bedroom and guest room

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the patterns on wallpaper can be cool and stuff, but wallpaper is such a horrible material to work with that it more or less ruins the wall you attach it to.

They need to make wallpaper backed with the same adhesive as used on 3M sticky notes. So you can stick it up and it'll stay there for however long you want it there, but when you're done, one person can just grab a corner and peel it off and leave no residue behind.

original idea do not steal etc. etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leperflesh posted:

I think the patterns on wallpaper can be cool and stuff, but wallpaper is such a horrible material to work with that it more or less ruins the wall you attach it to.

They need to make wallpaper backed with the same adhesive as used on 3M sticky notes. So you can stick it up and it'll stay there for however long you want it there, but when you're done, one person can just grab a corner and peel it off and leave no residue behind.

IKEA sells wall decals that are exactly that.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/decoration/16306/

In some places, wallpaper never left. Australians love it.*

*Source: Me, an American who has never been to Australia but watches a lot of Australian home renovation competition reality tv shows

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can also get those vinyl wall decals that aren't even really sticky if you prefer, which I think are usually restricted to kids decorations and those football heads? They only work well on smooth walls, but it's not like you can run your wallpaper over a textured wall anyway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my house is completely covered in Fathead sports wall decals. every square inch covered with the hottest baseball and volleyball stars

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

FCKGW posted:

People defending wallpaper in this thread lmao NOW I've seen EVERYTHING

Anyone defending wallpaper has never tried to replace it with paint. Especially when it was put on by trained monkeys.

I honestly hate nearly all wallpaper patterns anyways, but to each their own with personal taste. However it practically destroys walls or at least makes them about 100x harder to paint if you ever decide you don't want lovely floral patterns down the road. Or at least any wallpaper I've ever dealt with does.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone defending wallpaper has never tried to replace it with paint. Especially when it was put on by trained monkeys.

I honestly hate nearly all wallpaper patterns anyways, but to each their own with personal taste. However it practically destroys walls or at least makes them about 100x harder to paint if you ever decide you don't want lovely floral patterns down the road. Or at least any wallpaper I've ever dealt with does.

I've painted a room with improperly removed wallpaper before. The paste left hundreds of little pockmarks that wouldn't take paint from a roller. I wanted to die.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao if you're trying to put up wallpaper diy. The pros have automated rollers and stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The house we moved into when I was a kid had four or five layers of wallpaper. My dad started to strip it, got sick of that very quickly. and just hung new drywall in the entire house.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Has anyone invented some kind of "wallpaper" that goes over old wallpaper and is easily paintable?

I realize there are limits to this approach, principally putting it over the fifth layer of old wallpaper and watching it peel off the wall. But it might be useful if there's only one or two layers, and it would provide a smoother surface for paint if you removed the old wallpaper and didn't want to recondition your moonscape walls

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bags of sand or cement?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
"When we put them up, they were bags of concrete, and, well, time makes fools of us all."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon posted:

Bags of sand or cement?

Well the bags do say quikrete on them....

Pretty lazy way to make a wall, it's a lot less ugly once the paper bags weather away and expose the concrete though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Never use that many bags.

Order a truck.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
people do dumb poo poo, at least it entertains us

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Wait... that actually works? :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elem7 posted:

Just add water!

You’ll get a really lovely wall if make it like that because the water won’t penetrate deep into the pile, the bags won’t bond to each other, and there’s no aggregate.

But if the stacked bags held when they were dry, they’ll hold when they become a pile of rocks, too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Elem7 posted:

Uh, yeah. Here, have a beautiful photo of Boynton Beach Inlet.

Nearly dead center of that photo, that grey lump on the right... crotch? Of the bridge where the walkway passes under it and it turns to beach. That whole retaining wall was made of stacked bags of quickcrete rip rap. It works great. You see that allllll over South Florida. https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/riprap.asp or http://www.sakrete.com/products/rip-rap , which has better photos. Also here at http://www.slingbag.net/erosion.html

https://www.quikrete.com/pdfs/projects/riprapprojectsanderosioncontrol.pdf for a pdf.

Also gently caress y'all I love old wallpaper.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 8, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Earthbag building is a thing, yes. They can look quite nice and if built/plastered correctly last a very long time.

When they're built incorrectly, well....

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

canyoneer posted:

In some places, wallpaper never left. Australians love it.*

*Source: Me, an American who has never been to Australia but watches a lot of Australian home renovation competition reality tv shows

No, that's just TV-land lies. I've never been in a house with wallpaper here. I mean, it exists, but I don't know anyone who has it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.tempaperdesigns.com/demo-video

Surprisingly, this exists! My wife is interested in it.

Also, the couple demonstrating the wallpaper application in the video whip out a ladder so they can measure an 8 foot wall.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

why no inspector, i'm not building a house, i'm just vertically extending the dirt.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SoundMonkey posted:

why no inspector, i'm not building a house, i'm just vertically extending the dirt.

The funny thing is that a lot of the construction with earthbag houses is in developing countries by legitimate NGOs/relief agencies but on the other side you have complete woo-woo bullshit.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Youth Decay posted:

The funny thing is that a lot of the construction with earthbag houses is in developing countries by legitimate NGOs/relief agencies but on the other side you have complete woo-woo bullshit.

a friend of mine lives in a cob house and the most surprising thing about that is that they're so adept at not mentioning it every ten seconds that i didn't know for months

this is a rare quality

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gromit posted:

No, that's just TV-land lies. I've never been in a house with wallpaper here. I mean, it exists, but I don't know anyone who has it.

Well, the people they recruit for House Rules and The Block must be more with-it than you :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

The house we moved into when I was a kid had four or five layers of wallpaper. My dad started to strip it, got sick of that very quickly. and just hung new drywall in the entire house.

And the cycle of abuse continues :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Whatever your wallpaper costs to buy and install, you can probably quintuple that figure for the value you just removed from your house if you ever want to sell it.