Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as much as I hate McLaren.

You take that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cigarette liveries are cool af. #megabudgets #megacancer #megacool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 4/4 was also great but I think people sometime forget to mention the weird circumstances around the 1988 season

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The 640/641 were great cars. The 640 had issues with the brand new gearbox before they solved them (at Canada '90 IIRC) but once they did it never finished off the podium. It was designed by John Barnard, who made the MP4-2, maybe the best F1 car ever.

Yeah that's because if it didn't finish on the podium, it didn't finish at all, which is not all that impressive over the course of a season.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
¡Avanti Berger! ¡Avanti Alboreto! Lassu Il Drake vi guarda

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The 4/2 and it's evolutions had a record of 22 wins in 48 races, against far better competition (especially in '85 and '86) than the MP4/4. It's been my choice of "best ever F1 car" for years now, as much as I hate McLaren.

'86 is one of my favourite seasons. Prost was fantastic.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

#megacancer

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The 4/4 was also great but I think people sometime forget to mention the weird circumstances around the 1988 season

McLaren were quite frightened by the B188, actually. Initially they thought it was going to keep using the Ford V6 Turbo but they chose to go the DFR route. The FW12 was also supposed to retain it's Honda engines but when Piquet left the motors went with him. I think either of those cars could have won. Ferrari also did not build an entirely new engine for '88, unlike Honda.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

Yeah that's because if it didn't finish on the podium, it didn't finish at all, which is not all that impressive over the course of a season.

You can work reliability in later; the car was clearly fast.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

You can work reliability in later; the car was clearly fast.

Yeah, and it was just an issue where the gearbox wasn't getting enough electrical power, IIRC

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pretty sure that was the year Ferrari went 5 valves/cylinder too. That car was really on the bleeding edge of technology for the time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I can appreciate Nigel's aggressive style, as I also drive with absolutely no finesse. What I can't appreciate is his miserable attitude and inability to deal with less than stellar cars or situations. He bailed on Williams after 1 bad season that was primarily due to them being hosed over by Honda. He bailed on Ferrari when Prost got the better of him. He decided to go stateside, achieved success, but then ran off again because his team had the wrong package that year. He squandered his F1 comeback with Williams, then made a mockery of himself at McLaren.
Mansell will always be "my driver". I got in to F1 properly in 1990 and that Senna-Prost-Mansell era will always be the one I hold closest to my heart. It's also left me deeply disturbed, and my allegiance since then has been: Mansell → Villeneueve → Montoya → Hamilton.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Pablo Bluth posted:

my allegiance since then has been: Mansell → Villeneueve → Montoya → Hamilton.

loving Heretic! Mooooooods!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LochNessMonster posted:

loving Heretic! Mooooooods!!

I see nothing wrong here.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

iospace posted:

I see nothing wrong here.

Their Mansell
Jacques Fraudenough
An indy wannabe f1 coke snorter with an attitude
#blessed#megazone

Did you lose your red/white striped walking stick and your dog?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This should probably go in the OP.

Also Mercedes are obviously the greatest GP team, when they bothered to be in the sport. There's not a single era they didn't dominate within a couple years of entering.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LochNessMonster posted:

Their Mansell
Jacques Fraudenough
An indy wannabe f1 coke snorter with an attitude
#blessed#megazone

Did you lose your red/white striped walking stick and your dog?

You dare disrespect JPM?

Seriously though, of the two most recent ones to make the jump from Indy to F1, he had the most success. I think Bourdais problem was he had Vettel as a teammate.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Let's leave it at me being glad JPM only drove for Williams and McLaren. I've always found him an insufferable rear end in a top hat. I bet he could learn #megazone a trick or two.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
JPM was badass.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
JPM (and Raikkonen) were the first talents that could challenge Schumacher since Senna kicked the bucket.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Feels Villeneuve posted:

JPM was badass.

agreed.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just look up JPM Vs MSC for hilarity. Michael hated Montoya because Montoya was an Alpha who exposed Michael as the beta cuck that he is. #megamaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaccugyKLg

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wirth1000 posted:

Just look up JPM Vs MSC for hilarity. Michael hated Montoya because Montoya was an Alpha who exposed Michael as the beta cuck that he is. #megamaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaccugyKLg

I miss that Bus Stop. :allears:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is completely fair. 1989 was the shift from turbo to only the 3.5 liter N/A engines, so few companies were spending any resources on turbo development. Many of the midfield teams had already moved over the the new engines, including even Williams.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Williams being stuck with the Judd was sad because 1989 proved that they actually had a very good chassis.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How can anyone hate JPM wtf

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Williams being stuck with the Judd was sad because 1989 proved that they actually had a very good chassis.

The fact that they even had to use the Judd (as opposed to even the DFR/DFZ) would suggest that the loss of Honda engines was something of a surprise, and a rather abrupt one at that if Head is to be believed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The FW12 is also a very attractive car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The fact that they even had to use the Judd (as opposed to even the DFR/DFZ) would suggest that the loss of Honda engines was something of a surprise, and a rather abrupt one at that if Head is to be believed.

Wasn't the engine more or less tied to Piquet. I remember Prost saying he was the one who actually recommended Mclaren signed Senna because it meant they'd get the Honda engines.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

How can anyone hate JPM wtf

Michael doesn't even hate him anymore. Hell, Michael doesn't hate anyone anymore.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Wasn't the engine more or less tied to Piquet. I remember Prost saying he was the one who actually recommended Mclaren signed Senna because it meant they'd get the Honda engines.

He was the #1, yeah. But even with that Williams had a contract for 1988. It's been said that Williams lost the engines because they refused to hire Nakajima but I don't believe that at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Satty Nack would have been bad but part of me wants to see him in a Williams Honda instead of Patrese

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda should have tried to poach Suzuki instead of trying to push Nakajima into F1 but w/e.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

He was the #1, yeah. But even with that Williams had a contract for 1988. It's been said that Williams lost the engines because they refused to hire Nakajima but I don't believe that at all.

Honda wanted to support Piquet (their reigning champion) and Senna (who had done incredibly well with Lotus), and from what I've read Williams got okey-doke'd when Senna went to McLaren. Not sure if a third supply existed but I think Williams-Honda could've happened if Sir Frank wanted to pay Piquet more, but lol Williams paying over the odds for drivers. They might've been able to get Honda engines if they took on Nakajima but lol Williams agreeing to that in 1988.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

JPM ruled, someone post the vid of him crashing into the jet dryer

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaU6pqhwur4

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Head being the main man in control of the team at that point probably didn't help the relationship with Honda.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I've never seen the jump at the end wow that's one hell of a leap.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

I've never seen the jump at the end wow that's one hell of a leap.

deer are furry springs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lol, this is great.

• Locked thread