Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
And that store employee was Albert Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WampaLord posted:

Ain't no large fry on the dollar menu.

Ain't no dollar menu. Double cheeseburgers are over $2 mcdoubles are almost $2

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Not to say that that person was correct, but you could reach those prices shopping in Chicago at Whole Foods (or as some call it, Whole Paycheck):

Grapes: $10. I've been astonished by the price of grapes even at the local grocery - I see them marked as like $2.99/lb and grab a bag, only to find that the bag is 2+lbs of grapes. Grapes are heavy.
Pineapple: $5. I regularly see them priced for $3.99, $4.99 at the regular grocer, I can believe they would go higher.
Raspberries: $5.99 for a 6 oz package - yes, if organic I see that price often.
Soda: probably $3 a 16oz chilled soda from the cooler is $1.79, a larger one like that, easily $3.
Nuts: $2. As they said.

That's a conservative $26, plus tax. I could believe a couple dollars more, or that they exaggerated a bit. Still, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Which is why I shop for what's in season and on sale, and can buy the same things above for a fraction of the price, or substitute something else that's probably cheaper and better in season. :)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Why are goons so unable of resisting the allure of posting about cost of living?

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can get all this food from a rubbish bin for free.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hahahaha, yeah sure dream on antivax idiot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Paladinus posted:

You can get all this food from a rubbish bin for free.

You need to make friends with 1500quidporsche

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Fathis Munk posted:

Why are goons so unable of resisting the allure of posting about cost of living?

Because goddammit someone is WRONG on the internet

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fathis Munk posted:

Learning stuff is interesting?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The person who originally made a big fuss about vaccines and autism was proven to be a fraud ages ago, but their bullshit will circulate forever. Or until all the antivaxers die of polio. Whichever.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

If you're buying "healthy food for cheap" those aren't even good options. Pineapple? Grapes and raspberries, which are some of the more expensive produce?

I could get a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery story deli for $10, a 5 lb bag of russet potatoes for maybe $4. A head of lettuce or a bunch of spinach is around $2, give or take, even if you opt for romaine over iceberg. Bananas are cheaper than dirt. A dozen eggs might be $3, loaf of bread is about $2.50. Bag of frozen mixed veggies for another $2-3. You can eat that for a few days. Peel the meat off the chicken, use it for sandwiches. Make the carcass into soup. I just spent a couple months just scraping by on savings and credits cards between jobs. It sucked. It was stressful, and my diet was repetitive and not very interesting, and I kind of needed a break from rice for a while, but it kept me going on very little money.

But, I also had a kitchen with a well-stocked spice cupboard and a good assortment of pots and pans and utensils. I had a real stove and oven (I've been apartment hunting, too, because why not get laid off and lose the place I'm renting within six months of each other? But I'm just astounded by the number of apartments without real kitchens out there, just a hotplate, which I guess works if you don't really cook much). I know one or two things about how to cook. And I had time to make these things being, well, unemployed. In fact, I probably cook less now that I'm consistently working shifts that end at 10pm, because at that point I just want to stuff food in my mouth and go to bed.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I ordered a pizza from Papa John’s today with the name Earth IsFlat.

Pizza guy arrives at the house across the street… because I got my own address wrong (just moved here lol!)

He grabs the ticket and says .. “Whats the name on the ticket?”

This prompts me to yell… “Earth .. is .. flat!” … for my whole street.

The pizza guy said .. “Interesting name..” I told him , “It’s true y’know..”

The pizza guy says.. My friend mentioned flat earth to me once… I asked if his friend was also a flat earther.. He responded .. “yes..”

I proceeded to show him how to circumnavigate the flat earth using my deep dish pizza with the crust acting as antartica … a sauce container in the middle for magnetic north (Mt. Meru) and another sauce contianer as a compass with the little flappy thingy acting as North… Keeping the flapping thingy pointed towards the mountain , I explained how to circumnavigate flat earth. The guy just didn’t look into it at all before.. but now he has a website to check out… I wrote on his receipt… TinyUrl.com/PizzaEarth And The Horry Sheet Show to check out when he gets home…

I looked up to point at a plane making a chemtrail over us and simply ended it with .. “See that cloud? Thats not natural.. its coming from that plane” …I shook his hand and I’m pretty sure he left with his jaw dropped..

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm not the aggressive type but whenever I read poo poo like that it makes me wanna stuff that nerd into a locker

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
How do flat earthers explain flying over the North Pole when going from NA to Europe?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Drunk Tomato posted:

How do flat earthers explain flying over the North Pole when going from NA to Europe?

Deflect, call you a shill, or completely ignore your question in favor of another point that can be easily discredited.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Drunk Tomato posted:

Only found South Pole but

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My favorite part is that he doesn't say the cloud is a chemtrail or anything, only that it's coming from a plane, blowing the mind of the newly redpilled papa johns delivery man

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

I like to imagine this one's true, except the prof will use it to demonstrate and debunk common antivax disinformation.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tetracube posted:

I ordered a pizza from Papa John’s today with the name Earth IsFlat.

Pizza guy arrives at the house across the street… because I got my own address wrong (just moved here lol!)

He grabs the ticket and says .. “Whats the name on the ticket?”

This prompts me to yell… “Earth .. is .. flat!” … for my whole street.

The pizza guy said .. “Interesting name..” I told him , “It’s true y’know..”

The pizza guy says.. My friend mentioned flat earth to me once… I asked if his friend was also a flat earther.. He responded .. “yes..”

I proceeded to show him how to circumnavigate the flat earth using my deep dish pizza with the crust acting as antartica … a sauce container in the middle for magnetic north (Mt. Meru) and another sauce contianer as a compass with the little flappy thingy acting as North… Keeping the flapping thingy pointed towards the mountain , I explained how to circumnavigate flat earth. The guy just didn’t look into it at all before.. but now he has a website to check out… I wrote on his receipt… TinyUrl.com/PizzaEarth And The Horry Sheet Show to check out when he gets home…

I looked up to point at a plane making a chemtrail over us and simply ended it with .. “See that cloud? Thats not natural.. its coming from that plane” …I shook his hand and I’m pretty sure he left with his jaw dropped..

this is just really obvious parody, right?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I'm sure the pizza delivery man was super interested in this flat earth fellow and what he had to say, and not at all just enduring this guy's diatribe so he could at least have a small glimmer of hope of being tipped

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

life is killing me posted:

I'm sure the pizza delivery man was super interested in this flat earth fellow and what he had to say, and not at all just enduring this guy's diatribe so he could at least have a small glimmer of hope of being tipped

I feel like if you're a delivery person and someone starts sharing conspiracy theories, it's like a really long road around to the idea you are not getting a tip.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I assume it's on the level of people who proselytize to waiters & leave religious tracts(sometimes disguised as money) as a 'tip'. Someone in that deep honestly thinks their secret knowledge is a bigger boon than $5 would be.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Flat earth is the best conspiracy theory because I can't imagine the end game of the shadowy Jews globalists who convinced us that the world is round. Chemtrails, 9/11, fluoride, I can understand the theoretical benefit one would gain from those evil machinations. But what good is it if you convince everyone the earth is round?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zelder posted:

Flat earth is the best conspiracy theory because I can't imagine the end game of the shadowy Jews globalists who convinced us that the world is round. Chemtrails, 9/11, fluoride, I can understand the theoretical benefit one would gain from those evil machinations. But what good is it if you convince everyone the earth is round?

Look at this guy who's never heard of GLOBE-alization!!!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

A flat earth would be pretty cool. You could see the Rocky Mountains from the east coast.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zelder posted:

Apparently you haven't heard of Big Globe.

WampaLord posted:

Big Globe.

Globes are everywhere. In schools, in offices, in homes. Ain't no one gonna buy em if they find out the truth!

https://www.ultimateglobes.com/

https://www.1worldglobes.com/

http://www.metskers.com/22195/World-Globes.html

FOLLOW

THE

MONEY

And after further research:

WampaLord posted:

quote:

As the oddly hypnotic video below reveals, globes are still made using more or less the same method Martin Behaim used in 1492, but on an entirely different scale. Globes were hand-assembled luxury items until the 1930s, when two rival American globe companies—one in Indianapolis founded by map publisher George F. Cram, and another in Chicago headed by a school supply salesman named Luther Replogle—used mass production and canny marketing to reinvent globes as an affordable staple of middle-class homes. Sales ballooned from about 5,000 per year in 1930 to 300,000 per year a decade later. Lower prices drove the boom, but manufacturers also saw increased demand on the heels of world events: People actually waited in line to buy globes after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. At the height of the Cold War, globes were the best way to understand the over-the-pole threat posed by the Soviet Union, and Replogle’s company alone was making 2,000 globes a day.

:siren: PEARL HARBOR WAS A FALSE FLAG FOR BIG GLOBE! :siren:

This makes so much sense. What else does World War accomplish? Redefine countries borders! And you know what that means, everyone's gotta buy NEW GLOBES.

Holy gently caress I'm really onto something here.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Apparently you haven't heard of Big Globe.

And after further research:

:siren: PEARL HARBOR WAS A FALSE FLAG FOR BIG GLOBE! :siren:

This makes so much sense. What else does World War accomplish? Redefine countries borders! And you know what that means, everyone's gotta buy NEW GLOBES.

Holy gently caress I'm really onto something here.
[/quote]

thank you so much. I never knew I needed the phrase "big globe" in my lexicon

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Verisimilidude posted:

this is just really obvious parody, right?

nope, source: https://thehorrysheetshow.tumblr.com/post/162069294162/i-ordered-a-pizza-from-papa-johns-today-with-the

Zelder posted:

If the earth is flat it means it must have been created by god ergo the satan illuminati want you to think it's a globe so you continue not believing in god and go to hell

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Flat earthers are the worst because something deep in my mind says they have to be trolling/joking, but they are so adamant about it I don't even know anymore. In any case, debating them is pointless because even if you explain their supposed "proof" away they have an endless amount of "yeah ok shill but what about THIS picture" up their sleeve and will keep going until you give up.

Also it's really annoying how they always say "ball earth". Nobody who isn't 5 years old calls the shape that the earth is a ball.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tetracube posted:

nope, source: https://thehorrysheetshow.tumblr.com/post/162069294162/i-ordered-a-pizza-from-papa-johns-today-with-the

If the earth is flat it means it must have been created by god ergo the satan illuminati want you to think it's a globe so you continue not believing in god and go to hell

My refutation for creationism is this - if God's such a good engineer that he can make all this poo poo, why do I need glasses? He's apparently poo poo at calibration. Although it would be hilarious to get the chance to meet him, ask him that question and get "Have you ever made an eye before? Eyes are hard, man.:colbert:"

Actually those flaws are good evidence for the hand-crafted theory - craftsmanship always has some imperfection to it, no wonder everyone has something wrong with them. :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

BioEnchanted posted:

My refutation for creationism is this - if God's such a good engineer that he can make all this poo poo, why do I need glasses? He's apparently poo poo at calibration. Although it would be hilarious to get the chance to meet him, ask him that question and get "Have you ever made an eye before? Eyes are hard, man.:colbert:"
All that stuff is because of the apple.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hence the term "evil eye"! :cheeky:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

BioEnchanted posted:

Actually those flaws are good evidence for the hand-crafted theory - craftsmanship always has some imperfection to it, no wonder everyone has something wrong with them. :v:

Not to mention teeth, the spine, sex organs doubling as waste release, the endless dependence of human kids, sitting killing you, etc etc etc

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

gschmidl posted:

Not to mention teeth, the spine, sex organs doubling as waste release, the endless dependence of human kids, sitting killing you, etc etc etc

Those are all just clearly tests of our faith. He had to make us all hosed up otherwise it would be too easy to believe in him.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I wish I knew who that was so I could bring up increased sample size.

If there were say, 100 million people in the world 10 years ago that got the 'tism at a 1% of population rate, that's 100000 people. If there are now, say one billion people, that 1% now equals 100000000, so yeah, there's more cases that previously in a purely numeric fashion. Although the rate of occurrence remains the same.

Yes, I KNOW the numbers are unrealistic, but I am tired and hungry and lazy tonight, so you get what you get.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
We need to cut the Flat Earthers some slack, boys and girls. I mean, really, the atheists do NOT have the manpower to cover the complete, all important "smug, and not really woke, and think they are, so they are even smugger, in fact, they are so smug, they need that smug grin smacked off their faces" demographic...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

you have glasses because you didn't listen to your mom and go play outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

no, really, the growth of the human eye is regulated by the amount of light it receives, and the modern lifestyle of staying indoors all the time makes the eyeball conclude ' u r in a cave all day, guess u only need to see 6 feet in front of u, ur welcome'.