Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Kai Tave posted:

I would unironically like to see someone in this thread try to defend Sentinels of the Multiverse without defaulting to the Appeal To Fun argument.

A lot of the ways in which the mechanics interact that make for an incredibly tedious tabletop game and dull co-op multiplayer experience make it a pretty solid single-player puzzle PC game. There are a lot of great interactions that can be pulled off between characters that are just not going to happen in a co-op game, and a big draw for a lot of the weekly challenges is picking out the particular interaction or overcoming a particular setup.

I also think the Villains do a pretty good job of expressing their themes mechanically? The Chairman's mechanics are pretty great at reflecting the shadowy head of an organisation who works through his lackeys, Akash'Bhuta is great at demonstrating a rampaging kaiju-esque nature deity who you have to hack the limbs off, and Spite is great at reflecting a serial killer, because I wish I were dead every time I play against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't think I want to play Hanabi on BGA anymore:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Play it out but do the opposite, see if the catch on.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Toshimo posted:

The game is way more fun when people struggle to remember their clues or when I purposefully miss their winks and voice inflections :devil:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Toshimo posted:

My group doesn't have preset codes like this, but we definitely ad cards to the right of our hand and discard from the left, so everyone else knows when a unique card is in danger.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah that looks like my #1 clue of "I don't want to play Hanabi with this person".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah yes Hanabi, the code breaker game

*looks up number-color code on chart*

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
In my Hanabi group, we just blink morse code to tell you exactly which card to play.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Glagha posted:

Yeah that looks like my #1 clue of "I don't want to play Hanabi with this person".

And I decided to give it 1 more go and a dude sat with the red4 in his hand for 4 turns after it got specifically named because "I'm waiting for him to give an important clue", which tanked us.

DELETED

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there a good place to buy a bunch of wooden shapes that can be used for railroad tracks in 18xx games? The board game factories have to source them from somewhere, right? I assume the straight ones would be easy since that's just plain blocks you'd use in Catan or block wargames. I'd love it if those wooden train tracks for children's toys would work but they are way too large unless you wanted to play with giant 6" hexes or something. I found a local guy that could cut us out a bunch of individual wooden hexagons and wooden hexagons carved on a board. I don't mind painting and flocking them a bit to make them look nicer but my group really wants to get an 18xx project underway because I/we can't stand the look of the normal board.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Toshimo posted:

This is so goddamn stupid. Hanabi should be a game where you are able to infer clues logically, not be told to follow a strict code. I would never play if a code like this was enforced.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there a good place to buy a bunch of wooden shapes that can be used for railroad tracks in 18xx games? The board game factories have to source them from somewhere, right? I assume the straight ones would be easy since that's just plain blocks you'd use in Catan or block wargames. I'd love it if those wooden train tracks for children's toys would work but they are way too large unless you wanted to play with giant 6" hexes or something. I found a local guy that could cut us out a bunch of individual wooden hexagons and wooden hexagons carved on a board. I don't mind painting and flocking them a bit to make them look nicer but my group really wants to get an 18xx project underway because I/we can't stand the look of the normal board.
What's a normal board? :v:

Do you know that there are alternative art P&P 18XX that look really nice. The best one I've seen is the one for 1889, which I've played and is rather nice. I'm not sure how you would be able to use wooden train tracks since it would be a mess once you needed to upgrade. And carved wooden hexagons would be pretty expensive because you would need a lot of them, and many custom ones as well. The issue with 18XX is that the piece distribution is meaningful, so you can't really cut corners in that department, you have to get all of the duplicates of everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I've bought from these two places

http://www.boardgamesmaker.com/cust...TIaApwZEALw_wcB

https://www.gameparts.net/miscellaneous-game-parts.htm

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

What's a normal board? :v:

Do you know that there are alternative art P&P 18XX that look really nice. The best one I've seen is the one for 1889, which I've played and is rather nice. I'm not sure how you would be able to use wooden train tracks since it would be a mess once you needed to upgrade. And carved wooden hexagons would be pretty expensive because you would need a lot of them, and many custom ones as well. The issue with 18XX is that the piece distribution is meaningful, so you can't really cut corners in that department, you have to get all of the duplicates of everything.

Well, I mean, I don't think any of us would really mind chipping in for like a $500 project or something if we had a nice modular board at the end of it. I'd be the one putting in the time and effort for painting/modeling past the lasercutting stage so I'd probably be the one to keep the board. We'd start with 1830 because we really like that part of chicago express.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

This is so goddamn stupid. Hanabi should be a game where you are able to infer clues logically, not be told to follow a strict code. I would never play if a code like this was enforced.

I maintain that Hanabi is best played with other people who know how to play well, but you've never played with before. You will all have your own conventions about how you order cards, what hints mean beyond the obvious, and the like, but you have to figure everyone else's conventions out.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, I mean, I don't think any of us would really mind chipping in for like a $500 project or something if we had a nice modular board at the end of it. I'd be the one putting in the time and effort for painting/modeling past the lasercutting stage so I'd probably be the one to keep the board. We'd start with 1830 because we really like that part of chicago express.

Unless you mean carved wooden hexagons or something, some of the track shapes in brown are going to be a nightmare to replicate with wooden pieces, and that's before you start getting into tiles that are game-specific. Boards vary so much from game to game in terms of shape, size, and other features, I'm not sure a modular board is feasible either. Just look at the differences between, for example, 1830, 1846, and 1889.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

taser rates posted:

Unless you mean carved wooden hexagons or something, some of the track shapes in brown are going to be a nightmare to replicate with wooden pieces, and that's before you start getting into tiles that are game-specific. Boards vary so much from game to game in terms of shape, size, and other features, I'm not sure a modular board is feasible either. Just look at the differences between, for example, 1830, 1846, and 1889.

:negative: Why can't Queen just get them all so they can remake them like they did CE? Wabash Cannonball looked like complete rear end before the reprint.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the reprints for 1846 and 1844/54 look pretty nice, and the 1830 Mayfair, in terms of looks, isn't so bad, although it's a disaster in terms of QA. Then again I'm used to print and play version of games with paper maps. It's just something that you have to get used to in 18XX. Mayfair almost went bankrupt thanks to 1830, 1860 overprinted so badly that they had to firesale copies to clear the warehouse. If even boardgaming is a niche market, 18XX games are a smaller niche within that niche, to the extent that most 18XX won't even make their money back. Hence why most 18XX are literally hand-made and hand-cut games from "publishers" that take more than 5 years to fulfil an order.

In pure economics alone, publishing an 18XX game is a losing proposition. So who would spend money to make one look nicer than necessary, apart from hobbyists?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I think the reprints for 1846 and 1844/54 look pretty nice, and the 1830 Mayfair, in terms of looks, isn't so bad, although it's a disaster in terms of QA. Then again I'm used to print and play version of games with paper maps. It's just something that you have to get used to in 18XX. Mayfair almost went bankrupt thanks to 1830, 1860 overprinted so badly that they had to firesale copies to clear the warehouse. If even boardgaming is a niche market, 18XX games are a smaller niche within that niche, to the extent that most 18XX won't even make their money back. Hence why most 18XX are literally hand-made and hand-cut games from "publishers" that take more than 5 years to fulfil an order.

In pure economics alone, publishing an 18XX game is a losing proposition. So who would spend money to make one look nicer than necessary, apart from hobbyists?

Well sure, but this is also the same niche hobby within a hobby that's carved out a place for publishers like GMT that are known for their grognard games and can still offer reasonably-priced mounted boards (i didn't realize how much we took mounted boards for granted before wargaming) and deluxe pieces.

e: like holy poo poo I still can't believe how much of a steal it was when napoleon's triumph was sold for retail by Simmons. There's just so much map and wood in that game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Someday in a post scarcity world, 18xx games will be played with actual working miniature train sets and miniature landscapes.

Probably already being done somewhere in Saudi.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Well sure, but this is also the same niche hobby within a hobby that's carved out a place for publishers like GMT that are known for their grognard games and can still offer reasonably-priced mounted boards (i didn't realize how much we took mounted boards for granted before wargaming) and deluxe pieces.

e: like holy poo poo I still can't believe how much of a steal it was when napoleon's triumph was sold for retail by Simmons. There's just so much map and wood in that game.
Wargaming, as a whole, is a larger niche than 18XX by quite a long shot, it doesn't even compare. Failure after failure has shown that there just isn't a market for 18XX games out there. I mean, Mayfair has to shoulder the blame for it as much as anyone for making one of the worst print jobs ever with 1830, but even that classic, literally the only game that people outside of the 18XX hobby has even heard of, failed to make a profit on release.

I mean, 1846 for GMT was pretty successful, and it came out with pretty good production qualities. But GMT could test the waters because they have the P500 system, are experienced with die-cut parts, and because they make most of their money from TS anyway. If you look beyond GMT (which is an anomaly, not the rule), wargaming companies usually struggle to have the same level of production quality as GMT. MMP, probably the second biggest wargaming company, is a much better example of what normal wargaming companies produce.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
1846 is also a pretty special case in and of itself. Tom Lehmann is a big name outside of 18xx, and 1846 was long touted as a good entry level game, so its success isn't necessarily going to be applicable to other games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hanabi is one of those games I'll never buy because my play group would complain endlessly about losing since they can't cheat - at least Codenames has a second team that keeps you from cheating since you'd be adversely affecting their chances of winning.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Someday in a post scarcity world, 18xx games will be played with actual working miniature train sets and miniature landscapes.

That sounds like it would take forever to finish a game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Azran posted:

Hanabi is one of those games I'll never buy because my play group would complain endlessly about losing since they can't cheat - at least Codenames has a second team that keeps you from cheating since you'd be adversely affecting their chances of winning.

if someone has it just beat them to the punch and deal out the cards directly into the stacks necessary to win

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anything I should definitely know about Eclipse before jumping in? I'll read the rules and watch a runthrough and the group's not averse to teaching it, but I don't want to miss something important.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anything I should definitely know about Eclipse before jumping in? I'll read the rules and watch a runthrough and the group's not averse to teaching it, but I don't want to miss something important.

I don't know if this is exactly the kind of tip you're looking for but Plasma Missiles in that game are kind of absurd.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Am I correct in understanding that the "warm up" Games suggested by the Pandemic Legacy rule book are going to be a little more difficult than actual monthly play, due to the lack of Objectives to aim for? We gathered our group to start last night and did a practice game first; cured two diseases, but then had a failure cascade including a triple chain reaction outbreak.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

jivjov posted:

Am I correct in understanding that the "warm up" Games suggested by the Pandemic Legacy rule book are going to be a little more difficult than actual monthly play, due to the lack of Objectives to aim for? We gathered our group to start last night and did a practice game first; cured two diseases, but then had a failure cascade including a triple chain reaction outbreak.

You are incorrect, and failure chains are endemic to the franchise in all forms.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

You are incorrect, and failure chains are endemic to the franchise in all forms.

Gotcha. Well, we still had a good time, so I guess losing just brings us closer to getting to open package 8 haha

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

jivjov posted:

How many players and what characters are you using? In my experience, 4P tends to be more difficult - you're splitting the cards up between more people, and the limited trading mechanic makes it more difficult to consolidate cards into groups for a cure; and there are more turns in a round, so there are more chances for poo poo to hit the fan before, say, the medic gets a chance to defuse some of it. Conversely, 2P with the medic and scientist has been a breeze, in my experience.

I've not played too many games yet, though, so maybe I've just gotten (un)lucky.

Related, though, I asked a question earlier that I think got overlooked. Technically a March question, but it's more about how to treat a feature of a stop card: I've come across a stop card that has dossier circles on the front (stop face) of the card. Do you open them immediately, since the circles are already revealed and in the open, or do you wait until you've met the condition to start drawing more legacy cards?

e: :doh: Turns out the real problem is that I read too quickly and skipped a line. It tells you exactly when to open them :doh: :doh: :doh:

Telum fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 9, 2017

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Patchwork App just updated with a new, stronger AI. If you are a solo board gamer, the new Uwe AI is a fun challenge.

EDIT: Having played a few times, I think the new version uses some form of Monte Carlo Tree search. I don't remember the old patchwork AIs being able to chain so many turns in advance, or passing so often to put you in a bad position. It also takes a lot longer to make a move, at least on my old phone.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 7, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We've got a four person group. We set aside the researcher and used the other 4 roles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone else played Tiny Epic Quest? My copy arrived just in time for Gencon. Played a solo game this afternoon and it's basically Zelda: the board game. That's a good thing. Interesting movement mechanic and optimizing your meeples actions for a light point salad scoring system is surprisingly fun. Insanely good production values, one of the better looking games out of the box in a while. There's a little rules and graphic design bloat, but much better than Tiny Epic Western in that regard.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zack Ater posted:

Related, though, I asked a question earlier that I think got overlooked. Technically a March question, but it's more about how to treat a feature of a stop card: I've come across a stop card that has dossier circles on the front (stop face) of the card. Do you open them immediately, since the circles are already revealed and in the open, or do you wait until you've met the condition to start drawing more legacy cards?

I haven't played March in Pandemic Legacy yet (next month) but I would do the first one, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If I were married and my husband tried to get me to play Hanabi, I'd be calling an attorney on the spot, that's how much I dislike that game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

If I were married and my husband tried to get me to play Hanabi, I'd be calling an attorney on the spot, that's how much I dislike that game.

Same, except I am married, and my wife does try to get me to play Hanabi and I refuse point blank every time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lorini posted:

I seriously can't stand it anymore. Obviously the game is designed to be simple so adding more to it would defeat the purpose, but I wish there was just something that could be done to make "cracking the code" less simple and reliable. I don't know how this could be done but the game quickly became awful once someone idly mentioned how useful it'd be to always put your oldest card to the right.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For the anti-Hanabi-ites among us, have any of you played Bomb Squad or Beyond Baker Street? Both take the "can't see your own cards, give clues to your teammates" model from Hanabi and build upon it / expand it. I personally still love Hanabi for it's core simplicity, but see the appeal of the others. Curious what the different takes might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I found Hanabi to be a very interesting game that was time to shelve as soon as hint conventions started rearing their heads

It was neat and fun to come up with and think things like "well, they have had THAT card the longest, so hopefully they will figure that one as being the one I'm referring to..."

As soon as it turns into WHEN I SAY I MEAN then :byewhore: