Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is basically how I am on Kyle and always has been. Every time I start to like him for being a heel and pissing people off, he reminds me that he's actually a pissy crybaby when things don't go his way.

I don't mind assholes, but I definitely don't like rear end in a top hat crybabies.

That and the whole running POINTLESS XFinity races makes me despise him.

I respect him as a driver, but goddamn...if the dude wants a challenge outside of cup? Do sprints, do IMSA, do IndyCar, do Stadium Super Trucks....there are so many options in auto racing.

Divine Styler posted:

That's weird, since Dale Sr. was the most reckless driver in NASCAR history, and people only like his son because of it. Keselowski and KB are the two active cup drivers that drive the most like Sr. did.

I mean it's true. Look at all the Kerry Earnhardt fans that existed when he was driving. Ignore the fact the guy has some actual charm and likability to him. No, no.

Jr. is cool btw. I'm a guy that loves obscure drivers that lastcar would boast about making lists featuring, but I love a guy like Jr. who's pretty much the og. goon driver (played sim games, before it was cool, watches old races).

The sport is gonna have a giant hole in it when he leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

daslog posted:

I'm a big fan of Kyle's talent. I think NASCAR needs more aggressive drivers like him. He's still a whiny spoiled child.

So you're saying he'd fit in perfectly with F1.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

So you're saying he'd fit in perfectly with F1.

Almost. His Dad isn't rich enough for him to be the next Lance Stroll.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

That and the whole running POINTLESS XFinity races makes me despise him.

I respect him as a driver, but goddamn...if the dude wants a challenge outside of cup? Do sprints, do IMSA, do IndyCar, do Stadium Super Trucks....there are so many options in auto racing.

In fairness to Kyle, if you're full time in Cup, the scheduling works out better because NASCAR likes to double or triple dip weekends at racetracks with Trucks and Xfinity.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

*wispers* kyle was right, Busch is screwed without the cup drivers

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Doesn't stop Larson from running other series. Didn't stop Stewart either.

Maybe he should stop being a lazy little punk. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

In fairness to Kyle, if you're full time in Cup, the scheduling works out better because NASCAR likes to double or triple dip weekends at racetracks with Trucks and Xfinity.

I don't blame NASCAR for running Xfinity and Truck races the same weekends as Cup. It makes sense in that it helps get exposure for the up-and-comers and you can go "One ticket, three great races!", but the problem is exactly what we're seeing now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elitist Bitch posted:

Yup. As I've said before, I have no problem with cup drivers running races at say, Eldora or Road America. Cup doesn't visit either location so by all means, do it. I think part of KyBu's problem is his boss may not let him. If we do take Kyle's word of him having a 500 ride lined up but Joe Gibbs said gently caress no, it stands to reason he's blocking other efforts by Kyle.

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic

iospace posted:

I don't blame NASCAR for running Xfinity and Truck races the same weekends as Cup. It makes sense in that it helps get exposure for the up-and-comers and you can go "One ticket, three great races!", but the problem is exactly what we're seeing now.

If they let these teams test more in the off-season, you wouldn't see this. They completely change the aero package or modify the chassis, then stick the car into a wind tunnel for a few minutes. Then you get a couple hours on each track, before qualifying and race day. Then you have resurfacing, weather variables, etc. etc. If I'm a racer, I want as much track time as possible.

Divine Styler fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 7, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Divine Styler posted:

They completely change ... the chasity,

p sure that's hard to change once it's happened

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

iospace posted:

Yup. As I've said before, I have no problem with cup drivers running races at say, Eldora or Road America. Cup doesn't visit either location so by all means, do it. I think part of KyBu's problem is his boss may not let him. If we do take Kyle's word of him having a 500 ride lined up but Joe Gibbs said gently caress no, it stands to reason he's blocking other efforts by Kyle.

So then, it just goes back to the fact that he's a whiny brat.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I don't get why people don't like Brad K. He races hard, makes Kyle Mad, Usually crashes into gibbs cars, says what's on his mind about the sport usually, and streams on twitch. What more could you like.

Also he did a drunk off his rear end sportscenter interview after winning the championship.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

I don't get why people don't like Brad K. He races hard, makes Kyle Mad, Usually crashes into gibbs cars, says what's on his mind about the sport usually, and streams on twitch. What more could you like.

Also he did a drunk off his rear end sportscenter interview after winning the championship.

Also was told "no, you're not allowed to ask questions" at the Monster sponsorship reveal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Divine Styler posted:

Just a guy who likes the best driver since #3.

i, too, am a huge jimmie johnson fan. glad to finally see another one besides myself and harrison~

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elitist Bitch posted:

How many other series is Larson running now that he has a full time cup ride

The only IMSA thing he runs is the 24 hours of Daytona which is off season.

I was thinking of the Indy 500, because that's the biggest IndyCar marquee race, but considering that it's on the same day as the Coke 600, and that in the last 25 years, that double dip has been successfully pulled off like 8 times successfully really doesn't help your argument. And for like 6 of them, the driver even left the Indy 500 early.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 7, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Part of why I think people are a tad hesitant to do double-duty is that qualifying for Indy is the same weekend as the all-star race.

Not to mention only one person has completed all 1100 miles.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Divine Styler posted:

I get it. You're a fan of a no talent driver, that wouldn't even have a ride if not for his dad. You hate KB, because he turned Jr. At Richmond like a decade ago. At the end of the day, Jr. can't hold KB's post race diaper, and will end his career a never has been.

:cheers:

look at this post

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

I was thinking of the Indy 500, because that's the biggest IndyCar marquee race, but considering that it's on the same day as the Coke 600, and that in the last 25 years, that double dip has been successfully pulled off like 8 times successfully really doesn't help your argument.

Perhaps the better word would have been "races" rather than "series". Or perhaps the phrase "in a different series" or "in a non-Indy, non-NASCAR series"

Anyway, precision of language discussion aside, Larson has raced in a number of sprint car races and won several. Please see:

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/07/05/kyle-larson-celebrates-the-fourth-of-july-with-another-sprint-car-win/

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

exploded mummy posted:

He's entered in the Knoxville Nationals this week, and I think he's running at Oskaloosa tonight, same race Tony got hurt in a few years ago.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elitist Bitch posted:

Perhaps the better word would have been "races" rather than "series". Or perhaps the phrase "in a different series" or "in a non-Indy, non-NASCAR series"

Anyway, precision of language discussion aside, Larson has raced in a number of sprint car races and won several. Please see:

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/07/05/kyle-larson-celebrates-the-fourth-of-july-with-another-sprint-car-win/

No that really was an earnest question, I know he did sprint cars, but wanted to check the scheduling and records.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hot take: If Kyle wants to run sprints that's cool but if he doesn't because he risks his full time job getting injured like Smoke or logistics than I think that's OK too.

I'm not getting mad if needs to run the Coke 600 or doesnt race a series where half the races are in loving Australia and the other half are on Cup qualifying or race days.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 7, 2017

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

My credential request was approved for Darlington.

I'm headed to "Throwback Weekend" at the end of the month. :getin:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I am sorry. After looking at SST's schedule, only 3 of the 9 events his year have been scheduled in Australia while 4 are in North America. The other 2 are in China.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I appreciate your gumption. For trying to put an ocean between us and Kyle though Fuzzy

Maybe he could race the Monaco GP instead

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Hot take: If Kyle wants to run sprints that's cool but if he doesn't because he risks his full time job getting injured like Smoke or logistics than I think that's OK too.

I'm not getting mad if needs to run the Coke 600 or doesnt race a series where half the races are in loving Australia and the other half are on Cup qualifying or race days.

Yeah Cup is his first priority. It's why the XFinity poo poo is kinda laughable.

If...I dunno, he's running Sebring (which runs on a Saturday)? That's a viable option. If he has to focus on the championship and can't race Indy? Again, no objections to that. Hell I'll go one step further. I'd have ZERO issues if he, and the other cup drivers ran Eldora in Trucks. Why? Because it's a cool venue, it's a cool race and it's a venue cup doesn't go to.

financially racist posted:

i, too, am a huge jimmie johnson fan. glad to finally see another one besides myself and harrison~

this post right here. yep.

JJ is all class, and owns.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Sebring is a Saturday, but so is the qualifying for that weekends cup race

Want to say it was Phoenix?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Sebring is a Saturday, but so is the qualifying for that weekends cup race

Want to say it was Phoenix?

Yeah I'm just trying to think of the sort of calender a modern day version of Robby Gordon or SuperTex would have been really.

That in itself is very difficult considering how specialized everything is, how series titles matter more than winning individual races, etc. Frankly I think it'd be better if the XFinity series died off and was replaced with Modifieds to be shown on television, but that's my insane take on the matter.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Divine Styler posted:

Just a guy who likes the best driver since #3.
That's not how you spell Tony Stewart.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I thought I'd be more excited for this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/894683036746493956

I think it's too soon for the kid, but money talks I guess. At least he's shown the talent to back it up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Danica on the way out seems more likely.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/08/05/danica-patrick-stewart-haas-racing-sponsorship-future-plans/542649001/

quote:

Various outlets have reported that SHR had begun negotiations with Patrick to extricate itself from the final year of her contract, but the situation isn’t even that complex, Patrick said.

“There’s no buyout needed,” she said. “I don’t have a sponsor. It’s contingent on the sponsor.”

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/894683036746493956

I think it's too soon for the kid, but money talks I guess. At least he's shown the talent to back it up.

So are we assuming he's bringing his Liberty sponsorship to cup?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

hell yeah another driver to hate

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

hell yeah another driver to hate

It ain't NASCAR without at least one scummy sponsor.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mattdracing/status/894748715935711234

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

William Byron getting the Casey Atwood treatment?

gret posted:

Are they going to want to spend Cup money on him, though?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

According to the SB Nation article, yes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

William Byron getting the Casey Atwood treatment?

Are they going to want to spend Cup money on him, though?

This is the same university that thought going from Division 1 FCS to Division 1 FBS was a good idea. So yes, they will.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So big driver shake ups coming as sponsors bail due to low ratings and attendance. Good thing the TV contract is long I wouldn't want France to fix anything for another decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/894966441505689602

That was fast

• Locked thread