Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Also the thing about companies being restrictive to top universities is mostly just for interns/new grad recruiting. Once you have a few years' experience people care a lot more about where you worked at and what you've done, which makes it easier to move up the prestige ladder. Being at BYU with a lovely previous academic record (I failed pretty much everything my freshman year), for example, Google wouldn't talk to me. But once I was at Amazon they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

WampaLord posted:

Jesus loving Christ, why the gently caress should I care that some white tech bro was "unfulfilled" and spent all his massive money on a way to manic pixie dream app his own life.

This is what NPR is doing now?

This has always been NPR's thing

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Wow I just went over to Reddit to see their opinions on this guys :biotruths: and boy were their comments spicy

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Significant Ant posted:

Wow I just went over to Reddit to see their opinions on this guys :biotruths: and boy were their comments spicy

I'm confused. Which guy? Got a link?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

LinYutang posted:

The representation of Asians is pretty huge; I wish their report broke down race+gender, as I'm guessing Asian women are overrepresented as a group themselves.

Their EEO report has some of those breakdowns.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
we've only had the one thing to talk about in tech :biotruths: land for this past few days

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

curufinor posted:

we've only had the one thing to talk about in tech :biotruths: land for this past few days

Oh Yeah, the hero at Google standing up for the rights of the computer nerd.

I was hoping for a link to the reddit thread so I wouldn't have to go digging myself.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dongsturm posted:

Oh Yeah, the hero at Google standing up for the rights of the computer nerd.

I was hoping for a link to the reddit thread so I wouldn't have to go digging myself.

helpful link
http://bit.ly/1Mcpghf

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

aware of dog posted:

He's an incel, probably

I was actually surprised when I searched his name and "incel" and didn't find anything.

I have found it most heartening that all the nice non-shithead Googlers I know are loving LIVID OVER THIS BULLSHIT and are making this publicly known.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you just want to see the manifesto (it originally had citations, or so I've heard), it's here: http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-the-full-10-page-anti-diversity-screed-1797564320

If you want to see Yonatan Zunger's closely-reasoned, insightful, and furious response, just follow the blue underlined road.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you want to see Yonatan Zunger's closely-reasoned, insightful, and furious response, just follow the blue underlined road.
Culture fit: over 9000

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Being a lefty in techbro circles, it's odd to see model minorities like the Chinese and Indians in tech internalize white racial politics and start not just accepting the anti-diversity views but actively promulgating them.

If anything, they can be even more racist against african-americans and sexist against women than random white dudes

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There's also the element of the originating cultures being pretty racist and sexist as well.

In my experience if you grew up in the US as an Asian American you're far morely likely to be liberal than people who immigrated as adults, but that may just be my social bubble.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

curufinor posted:

*whipcrack*

Welcome to a world known as Google.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah i guess compounding techbro misogyny with foreign culture sexism is a heady brew

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tarezax posted:

There's also the element of the originating cultures being pretty racist and sexist as well.

In my experience if you grew up in the US as an Asian American you're far morely likely to be liberal than people who immigrated as adults, but that may just be my social bubble.

it's wild how a lot of well-off chinese immigrants feel threatened around anyone who isn't either chinese or the white people they try so drat hard to suck up to lol

tl;dr wechat is cancer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The "diversity memo" guy has been fired.

Will this be the end of it or do reactionary assholes everywhere have a new martyr?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just wait for his patreon

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
patreon folks are generic liberal but not too leftist silicon valley folks #3453 so the altright folks hate them
i think they have a nazi-specific begging site

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

nah, the highest money grubber on patreon was a gamergater white dude for a while

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The nazi-patreon is literally called hatreon

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

Again, you don't actually have to live int he richest parts of town, and doing so doesn't make you less rich, it makes you someone who's bad with money.

No one doesn't and I never claimed one did, but you're minimizing how preposterously unaffordable Manhattan is. I don't make 130k and I can't afford anywhere close to those rents, so I can't live in a good portion of Manhattan unless I want to save nothing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The "diversity memo" guy has been fired.

Will this be the end of it or do reactionary assholes everywhere have a new martyr?

He's going to be a speaker at the next RNC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kim Jong Il posted:

No one doesn't and I never claimed one did, but you're minimizing how preposterously unaffordable Manhattan is. I don't make 130k and I can't afford anywhere close to those rents, so I can't live in a good portion of Manhattan unless I want to save nothing.

Luckily living in the trendy parts of Manhattan isn't required to live. So, just don't do it? What's so hard about this? There's even a pretty good public transit system in place so you can live in Not Manhattan and work in Manhattan. You know, like over 1.6 million people do, every workday of the year.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Look at these 1 bedrooms less than $2k. SROs (basically a small hotel room, some even with a community bathroom) in the worst part of SF are about that price.

gently caress SF, is what I'm basically saying.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's something magical about CS/ECE that makes it impossible for women to do well in it

:hmm:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kobayashi posted:

Booster, an App For Rich People Who Don't Want to Pump Their Own Goddamn Gas, Raises $20 Million

http://gizmodo.com/booster-an-app-for-rich-people-who-dont-want-to-pump-t-1797453868

This is the plot of an Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia Episode.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shrike82 posted:

there's something magical about CS/ECE that makes it impossible for women to do well in it

I can see my house the year I graduated from here! Near the peak.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

shrike82 posted:

"Women don't have the mathematical acuity to write code!" (250% more women in pure mathematics than CS)

"Women lack the intuition and creativity to solve real world problems when theory fails!" (300% more women in biology than CS)

"Women just won't work as hard or put in long hours the way men do!" (500% more women in health professions than CS)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It's gonna be fun pointing out to tech reactionaries that the memo guy would likely still be working for Google if only they had unionized!

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
uh is that a point for unionization tho
lotta racist fucks in unions back in the day, that doesn't mean that they aren't good, it just means we should do, like, german-style unions or some poo poo

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That guy with his :biotruths: has a biology PhD from Harvard. I'm not sure what Harvard needs a biology department for, they've already got an office of equity, diversity, and inclusion.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

curufinor posted:

uh is that a point for unionization tho
lotta racist fucks in unions back in the day, that doesn't mean that they aren't good, it just means we should do, like, german-style unions or some poo poo

Tech workers absolutely should unionize, along with everyone else (the Tech Workers Coalition is doing some pretty great things if you're interested in that sort of thing) but, yeah, this is not really the case for it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Would love to see white supremacist techbros try to set up their own racist union though

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

Would love to see white supremacist techbros try to set up their own racist union though

i'm pretty gently caress sure they were segregating unions back in the day
KoL good AFL less good

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Being a lefty in techbro circles, it's odd to see model minorities like the Chinese and Indians in tech internalize white racial politics and start not just accepting the anti-diversity views but actively promulgating them.

If anything, they can be even more racist against african-americans and sexist against women than random white dudes

The real hot button issue that I've observed from first-generation Asian immigrants in CA is around Affirmative Action in colleges. Most of the 'good' UCs are around 40-50% Asian today, and this would change dramatically if they adopted an admissions approach similar to that of other top schools.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

shrike82 posted:

The weird thing is that CS was on track to hit, if not parity, at least above 40%, like social sciences or math. Then it started dropping in the 80s, which is doubly weird because that's when women started earning more than 50% of bachelor's degrees. Right now women earn 62% of degrees, so communications/art/biology that are being conferred at a non-biased ratio.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's gonna be fun pointing out to tech reactionaries that the memo guy would likely still be working for Google if only they had unionized!

I am a unionized professional (lawyer) and if I'd written something like this on company time and distributed it during company hours, I'd be poo poo canned so fast. California has a lot of worker protections in general for employee speech, but when you use your employer resources to write and promote it, it is different.
If he'd written this as an op-ed in the Mercury News or something, he's have a better case.

I love that this guy looks exactly like I imagined he would:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

blah_blah posted:

The real hot button issue that I've observed from first-generation Asian immigrants in CA is around Affirmative Action in colleges. Most of the 'good' UCs are around 40-50% Asian today, and this would change dramatically if they adopted an admissions approach similar to that of other top schools.

The only thing worst than Asian techbros whining about African-Americans stealing AA places is hearing them rank races for dating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ericrweinstein/status/894773217272905728

I'm shocked

S H O C K E D

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 8, 2017