Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Before Times posted:

I think they're taking the piss.

Extremely likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Guys you should watch four corners.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Everything is hopelessly corrupt.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Everyone should watch Four Corners always

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It gets me all angry and then I get disappointed when there's no justice

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

*pulls pin*

*throws*

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-07/melbourne-cafe-suggest-gender-pay-gap-surcharge-for-men/8782014?sf104144439=1

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lightning Lord posted:

So someone in the libertarian thread said your glorious nation is considering banning boycotts? Is this true? How would it work? If I tell my buddy not to buy something because of ethical reasons, the AFP bust down my door and arrest me?

Secondary boycotts are banned if someone goes on strike, but no to all that stuff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Everything is hopelessly corrupt.

Auspol August: Everything is hopelessly corrupt

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nothing is corrupt this is the system working as intended on all fronts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is the system fuckin' motoring.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

PM sets deadline on same-sex marriage reform

The federal government will launch a postal plebiscite on same-sex marriage as soon as next week as Malcolm Turnbull sets a December 7 deadline to decide the reform in parliament, backed by Liberal MPs who endorsed the “people’s vote” in a high-stakes meeting tonight.

The government is claiming a “high degree of confidence” it can stare down court challenges to the optional postal vote on the controversial social question, clearing the way for a free vote in parliament if Australians back the change.

Mr Turnbull secured overwhelming support for the plebiscite from the Liberal meeting in Parliament House after a week of infighting that fuelled talk of a threat to his authority from the deep animosities over changing the Marriage Act.

Aiming to stop the internal brawl from deepening the government’s political problems, Mr Turnbull will see an agreement from the Coalition party room on Tuesday to embrace the postal vote if the Senate once again rejects the original election commitment of a compulsory plebiscite.

Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce prefers the original plebiscite but he and his party colleagues can accept the back-up plan of a postal vote, giving it support in Tuesday’s meeting.

After a week of pressure from Liberals to drop the public vote and pursue a conscience vote in parliament, reform advocates including Queensland MP Warren Entsch only secured seven votes in a party room meeting of almost 80 members.

Mr Entsch was joined by Victorians MPs Tim Wilson and Jason Wood, NSW Liberals John Alexander and Trent Zimmerman and Western Australian Senator Dean Smith in voting for a conscience vote in a show of hands. Another key advocate, Brisbane MP Trevor Evans, was absent for family reasons but sent a letter to argue for policy change.

Mr Wood supported a conscience vote but also told the meeting a postal vote would be a good compromise. Neither Mr Zimmerman nor Mr Wilson signalled they would cross the floor.

The meeting heard 28 Liberals speak in defence of the “people’s vote” and canvass the idea of using the optional postal vote to let 15.7 million Australian voters have their say on the matter if they chose to send back the ballot papers.

The show of hands revealed the minority support for a conscience vote and there was no call for a show of hands on the plebiscite.

Former prime minister Tony Abbott cautioned against the postal vote yesterday, saying its legitimacy could be challenged if the turnout was low and it would be better to keep attempting to get the original plebiscite through the upper house.

That view did not carry the day in the Liberal party room as MPs backed an alternative approach that offers the promise of a verdict from the electorate within months and a free vote in parliament by Christmas.

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, who is the acting special minister of state and hold responsibility for the popular vote, said the original plebiscite would go back to the Senate this week to vote again on a bill rejected last November.

“The government’s intention is to put the plebiscite bill, that was defeated in the Senate last year, back to the Senate and to ask the Senate to reconsider,” he said last night.

“Clearly our preference is to give effect to the commitment we made at the last election to its fullest extent possible, which is why we’ll be asking the Senate to support the compulsory attendance plebiscite.”

Senate crossbenchers have vowed to oppose the plebiscite and it is expected to be defeated within days, clearing the way for the postal vote.

Senator Cormann said that the postal vote would lead to a vote in parliament if Australians backed same sex marriage.

There will be no free vote in parliament, however, if Australians reject same sex marriage in the postal vote.

An advocate for change said the new approach kept up the “double standards” that have been the hallmark of the debate,

Mr Entsch last night declared he “reserves my right” to call on a vote in the House of Representatives to force a decision on same sex marriage, signalling he could cross the floor to side with Labor, the Greens and the independents.

The outspoken Queenslander, who has argued for marriage equality for more than a decade, said the most conservative advocates of a plebiscite saw it as a way of “kicking it into the long grass” so that nothing ever changed.

Senator Smith has drafted a private members’ bill to legalise same sex marriage but its supporters would need 76 out of 150 members in the lower house to force a vote to pass the reform, a scenario that would only work if at least four Liberals crossed the floor.

Cabinet minister Mathias Cormann told reporters after the meeting the government’s preference was for a compulsory plebiscite, but if they cannot get it through the Senate a voluntary postal vote would be held. “The government is absolutely committed to keep faith with the commitment we made to the Australian people,” he said.

He said the government had advice there was a “legal and constitutional” way forward on the postal vote, but the specifics were a matter for the joint party room.

It is understood only six people spoke in favour of a private member’s bill at Monday’s meeting and a letter from Brisbane MP Trevor Evans was read out in support.

Before the meeting, same-sex marriage advocates released their own legal advice showing the government could not conduct a postal vote without its own legislation and that any move down that path would be open to challenge in the High Court.

The Labor caucus was briefed on WA Liberal senator Dean Smith’s private bill on Monday, agreeing that it represented an “acceptable compromise” and was in line with a Senate inquiry’s findings.

Labor MPs would get a conscience vote on it if the bill came to parliament, which is possible if the compulsory or voluntary plebiscites pass. Labor frontbencher Terri Butler said it was disappointing the Liberal Party continued to put up more obstacles to marriage equality.

“The Liberal Party is already aware the will of the parliament is not to have a plebiscite, because the plebiscite legislation has already been defeated,” she said.

“The Liberal Party in keeping with the sentiment of the electorate and the desire to do the right thing should seek to remove this discrimination against same-sex couples or at least seek to have a free vote on the floor of parliament, not recycle old ideas.”

The Nationals have been staunch supporters of the plebiscite, with MP Andrew Broad warning the coalition could split if the policy was dumped. Speaking before the meeting, Senator Smith said a postal vote was useless. “It’s a D-grade response to what is a defining A-grade social issue,” Senator Smith said.

Former prime minister Tony Abbott said the postal vote was “certainly better than ramming the thing through the parliament”, but he questioned whether it would carry the same authority as a plebiscite.

Advocacy group Australian Marriage Equality has legal advice it says confirms a postal vote would be unconstitutional.

According to the advice, the government does not have the power to spend money on a postal plebiscite without first passing legislation authorising use of taxpayer funds.

Advocates say they would seek an injunction to prevent the postal plebiscite from going ahead until a High Court decision on its constitutionality.

Additional reporting: AAP

MP vows to quite over same-sex vote

Nationals MP Andrew Broad has promised to quit the Coalition if the Liberal Party allows MPs a parliamentary vote on same-sex marriage without a plebiscite.

The regional Victorian member has threatened to plunge the government into a minority if its larger Coalition partner decides at a 4pm party room meeting it would allow a free vote on a private-members bill to legalise gay marriage.

Mr Broad, the Member for Mallee, told local paper Sunraysia Daily that he would sit on the crossbench if a group of five Liberal moderates got their way this afternoon.

He claimed that Nationals would split with the Liberal Party if a conscience vote was granted.

“If the Liberals come out with a conscience vote, then yeah, I don’t make idle threats,” Mr Broad told Sunraysia Daily.

“If the Liberals come out with a conscience vote, it won’t be me only, the whole show would blow up. So suddenly you’d lose 16 lower house members in one block.

“Turnbull’s leadership would become untenable and he’d no longer be prime minister.

“They’d push for Peter Dutton or Greg Hunt as leader and deputy leader or we’d be going to a general election.”

‘Not a test of PM’s leadership’

Mathias Cormann, a leading conservative in cabinet, says the government’s debate over gay marriage is not a test of Malcolm Turnbull’s leadership, as Liberal MPs split over a postal plebiscite proposal gaining momentum in the party room.

Liberal MPs in favour of a free vote are out in force pushing for a policy change, warning a pathway that does not resolve the issue in this term of parliament or preferably by the end of the year “would be untenable”.

Details of a postal plebiscite are likely to be discussed by cabinet ahead of a special 4pm Liberal party room meeting, where an overwhelming majority of MPs are expected to block moves by rebels to force a parliamentary vote on the issue.

Western Australian senator Dean Smith, who with lower house MPs Warren Entsch, Trent Zimmerman, Tim Wilson and Trevor Evans has drafted a bill to legalise gay marriage, slammed the postal plebiscite.

Senator Smith voted against the government’s original bill to set up a plebiscite when it was voted down by the Senate late last year.

“People might desire a postal plebiscite but at the moment it is conceptual, its details are unknown and again I would argue that it’s a D grade response to what is a defining A grade social issue,” he told the Nine Network. “It’s useless.”

Mr Entsch, the government’s most outspoken gay marriage advocate, did not rule out supporting a postal plebiscite but said he had not seen the details.

“There’s a small group there that will never, ever accept it (gay marriage). They will always be finding ways of pushing it off to one side and I think the plebiscite concept is one of those,” he told Sky News.

“Because (the postal plebiscite) hasn’t been put to me, I want to have a look at it first and without ruling anything out before I walk into that party room, the one criteria that I have is that it’s got to be dealt with.”

Senator Cormann, who is acting Special Minister of State and would be responsible for putting a submission on a postal plebiscite to cabinet, said the government’s policy remained giving the Australian people a say on changing the definition of marriage before parliament voted on the issue.

“This is not about the Prime Minister’s leadership, this is about the issue of same-sex marriage and whether or not the definition of marriage should be changed,” he said on Sky News.

“As far as the Prime Minister’s leadership is concerned, he has unanimous support of his cabinet, he has got the strong and overwhelming support of the party room. This is now a matter for the party to deal with this issue in a respectful and professional manner.”

‘Govt should be allowed to keep promises’

Cabinet minister Arthur Sinodinos pleaded with Labor and the parliament to help the government keep its gay marriage election promise by allowing a plebiscite.

Senator Sinodinos, who supports gay marriage and has previously called for a conscience vote, said he believed the policy would be settled at today’s party room meeting but the government’s frontbench remained committed to the election promise to hold a plebiscite.

“The Prime Minister and senior ministers, as far as I’m concerned, are very committed to having a process which best reflects the election commitment we made just a year ago and for which we were endorsed and we came back into power,” Senator Sinodinos told ABC radio, indicating he could support a postal plebiscite.

“All of us went to the election saying that we wanted to have a plebiscite and we would have a plebiscite today if we were allowed to keep our promises. If we want to repair this trust deficit that people talk about in Australian politics, one of the first steps must be to allow the government of the day to keep its promises. That’s what I’m fighting for.”

Mr Zimmerman said there was a “strong case to move immediately to a free vote” and hit out at conservative colleagues who have attempted to turn the debate into a leadership test, labelling the behaviour “bullying”.

“A free parliamentary vote will assist in ensuring there is a proper debate with a view that the entire parliament is reflected,” Mr Zimmerman told ABC radio.

“I understand and recognise and respect that people have deeply held views about this but at the end of the day this is about the party discussing a policy issue like it does many others. From my perspective we should be able to do that maturely, I’m always concerned about people who try to turn this into a leadership issue and it’s really a case of bullying which does nothing for the reputation of the government or our prospects.”

Mr Zimmerman is open to reintroducing the original plebiscite bill — which was rejected by the Senate last year — to satisfy MPs that the upper house has not changed its mind, but doubted a second vote would differ from the first.

He said if the debate on gay marriage was not resolved before the 45th parliament rises, it would continue to raise its head.

“That’s not good for the government, it’s not good for the people waiting to be able to express their love for each other in the same way that other Australians can,” he said.

Shorten is the villain’

Liberal MP Craig Kelly said the Coalition should put more pressure on the Senate to vote for a plebiscite, pointing out many contentious policies like the repeal of the carbon tax did not win parliamentary support in the first instance.

Mr Kelly, who is against same-sex marriage, said the government should present the plebiscite bill to the Senate “again and again” through this term of parliament rather than break its promise and allow a free vote.

“It is about time the advocates of same-sex marriage put the pressure back on the Senate, put the pressure back on (Bill) Shorten, he is the villain here, not allowing the plebiscite to go ahead to give every Australian a say on this issue,” Mr Kelly told ABC radio.

“I don’t think the Australian public is going to wear it if we just put it once up to the Senate and say, ‘it’s too hard’.”

“I defend my colleagues right to the hilt to bring any bill to parliament but I think when the party room sits down today and we are asked to break an election commitment I think the majority will be against this.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...9853a55b8bbdb95

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

So someone in the libertarian thread said your glorious nation is considering banning boycotts? Is this true? How would it work? If I tell my buddy not to buy something because of ethical reasons, the AFP bust down my door and arrest me?

The LNP's position on boycotts depends on how they can damage the environment the most.

A Tasmanian MP wanted a boycott ban because he hates trees.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0403-zqqan.html

A Queensland MP wanted to boycott Ben and Jerry's because he hates reefs.
http://junkee.com/liberal-national-mp-george-christensen-wants-people-boycott-ben-jerrys/99271

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, that was me [snip] EDIT: just read Sparticle's post directly above mine.

quote:

Environment and consumer groups have described a push by Liberal senators to ban environmental boycotts of companies as “nonsense” and an attack on free speech.

Tasmanian Senator Richard Colbeck will use a review of competition laws to push for a ban on campaigns against companies on the grounds that their products hurt the environment.

Mr Colbeck is fighting lobby groups such as a GetUp! which is running a campaign to stop Harvey Norman [EDIT: Hardly Normal is a big box store run by a piece of poo poo in human form] from selling products made using unsustainable timber practices.

It's some incredibly lovely bullshit where the government wants to gently caress over anyone trying to stop companies from destroying the environment because money (from their donors) is more important than the long term state of our country.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 7, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is a good idea, I would shop there.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hooman posted:

It's a vegan restaurant though.

e. The online reviews for it are a most excellent salt mine right now, would recommend.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 7, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Richard Colbeck is no longer a senator, murdered by Eric Abetz.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

hooman posted:

It's pretty much a joke to raise awareness and funds for charity so who wouldn't be cool with it? (please do not answer this question)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imagine being as empty a husk as malcolm turnbull

willing to put literally anything on the line just so you can play at being prime minister for a bit longer

gosh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

imagine being as empty a husk as malcolm turnbull

willing to put literally anything on the line just so you can play at being prime minister for a bit longer

gosh

I'm imagining an empty sack of skin with only a wallet and a suit.

In other news it's important to wear all your fancy bling jewelry when you announce your plan to get rid of homeless encampments
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/07/clover-moore-says-homeless-camp-in-sydneys-martin-place-will-be-moved

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 7, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

It's pretty much a joke to raise awareness and funds for charity so who wouldn't be cool with it? (please do not answer this question)

Funny joke bandaid.friend, funny joke.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ewe2 posted:

Correct, we have stopped the leaks

You're not the public's servant, you're the party's.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/685244467213897728

i will never stop posting

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Enjoy your long life I guess.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

same op

i have a message for you mr commissioner: i am a public servant and i think some of the government's policies are in fact bad, and not good :twisted:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

What a lovely morning

Victorian Opposition Leader Matthew Guy attended secret dinner with alleged Mafia head Tony Madafferi posted:

Victorian Opposition Leader Matthew Guy attended a secret dinner earlier this year with the alleged head of Melbourne's Mafia over several bottles of Penfolds Grange at a lobster restaurant in Melbourne's south-east.

Mr Guy dined with Tony Madafferi, a wealthy market gardener and the owner of the La Porchetta pizza chain, even though Mr Madafferi has repeatedly been accused by police in court of being a high-ranking member of Melbourne's Mafia.

In an affidavit filed in court in June to support Mr Madafferi's ban from Crown Casino and all Victorian race tracks, Detective Superintendent Peter Brigham said the police held "substantial intelligence" indicating that Mr Madafferi had "substantial and close involvement with serious criminal conduct including drug importation, murder and extortion".

Mr Brigham also alleged that Mr Madafferi was "a known associate of prominent criminal entities and persons who have a history of significant criminal conduct that includes money laundering and drug trafficking".

Mr Guy has cultivated a "tough on crime" persona as Opposition Leader, but has previously been warned about associating with alleged Mafia figures after he claimed as planning minister he had "unwittingly" become the star attraction at a 2013 fundraiser hosted by Mr Madafferi at his Docklands venue centre.

A spokesman for Mr Guy acknowledged Mr Guy had been at the dinner, but said it had been "hosted and organised by Liberal Party member and executive member of AUSVEG Victoria, Frank Lamattina", and was "held in open view at a popular restaurant".

The spokesman said the dinner had included "around 20 of his [Mr Lamattina's] relatives". However, asked if 25 people had been at the dinner, one of the attendees — nursery owner Bruno Diaco, a relative by marriage of Mr Madafferi — replied: "It wasn't anywhere near [that number]."

Fairfax Media has been told by another source that only seven were at the table, including Mr Guy and two other Liberal Party identities. The remaining four diners were Mr Madafferi and three of his relatives. Mr Lamattina is his cousin.

Mr Guy's spokesman said the Opposition Leader "did not organise the guest list and was not aware who Mr Lamattina's relatives are", adding: "No political donations from anyone at the table has been sought or received."

However, sources with direct knowledge of the dinner have confirmed that Mr Guy's office was informed Mr Madafferi would be one of the guests.

Mr Lamattina had settled the bill, the spokesman said, "of which Mr Guy's food and drink would have been well below the threshold for disclosure".

Ex-Hawthorn star, key Liberal fundraiser also attended dinner

A joint Fairfax Media-Four Corners investigation has confirmed Liberal Party official and fundraiser Barrie Macmillan met Mr Guy outside the Lobster Cave so no-one would see the Opposition Leader entering or leaving with Mr Madafferi.

Mr Macmillan has played a key role in several Liberal Party local campaigns and has worked as an adviser to the Federal Member for Dunkley, Chris Crewther.

Mr Crewther said Mr Macmillan had worked as a casual adviser until January but had not worked for him since then.

Also at the dinner was Hawthorn footballer turned Liberal councillor Geoff Ablett, and two other Calabrian community members: Bruno Diaco, a relative of Mr Madafferi, and Vince Doria, a business partner of Mr Madafferi who co-owns the Docklands venue used for the 2013 fundraiser.

Mr Diaco confirmed he was at the dinner and said it had been organised by Mr Lamattina as a "private affair". There had been no talk of donations, he said.

Mr Lamattina angrily declined to answer questions, stating: "You print a lot of f***ing lies. If you want to see me, you come and see me on the farm."

Mr Macmillan did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Madafferi and relatives thought to be long-time Liberal donors

It is understood Mr Macmillan organised the event with Mr Lamattina because Mr Madafferi and his relatives are long-time Liberal donors, and because Mr Lamattina had, at an earlier fundraiser, been promised a private dinner by Mr Guy.

Mr Guy's spokesman said: "The whole purpose of attending this gathering was to discuss public policy issues in relation to the vegetable-growing industry with some of the biggest users of the market.

"Whatever their backgrounds are is not Mr Guy's concern, it's their use of a state facility … and any cost-of-living impacts on consumers."

It is understood the diners discussed the move of the Victorian Fruit and Vegetable wholesale market from Footscray to Epping. Traditionally, Mr Madafferi and other greengrocers exercised significant influence at the Footscray market.

The Liberal Party is cash-strapped, with some of its traditional wealthy donors withholding funds after a spat between party officials and long-time donors.

Even though the election is more than a year away, Mr Guy has already started appearing in tough-on-crime roadside billboards that say: "Safer Communities. Protecting Your Future."

A series of Fairfax Media and Four Corners reports over the past two years have shown that Mr Madafferi and Mr Lamattina were involved in a 2006 donations scandal in which the planned deportation of Mr Madafferi's brother, Francesco Madafferi, a Mafia boss, was overturned after a long campaign of lobbying and donating to federal Liberal politicians. Francesco, a violent criminal and drug trafficker, was later jailed in connection to Australia's biggest ecstasy importation.

Police allege Madafferi has 'strong association' with drug traffickers

For three decades, policing agencies have alleged Mr Madafferi holds a senior rank in Australia's secretive Calabrian Mafia organisation.

The Australian Federal Police covertly filmed Mr Madafferi in a city park and at Crown Casino with several notorious Mafia drug traffickers in 2008 as part of a probe into Australia's biggest ecstasy importation.

Mr Madafferi has never been charged with any crime and denies any wrongdoing.

In the early 2000s, police intelligence linking Mr Madafferi to allegations of "murder, gunshot wounding and arson" was detailed in court but he vehemently denied it.

Prior to that, he was named as a suspected hitman in two coronial inquests in the 1990s. He was identified in a recent police intelligence briefing as the leader of a Calabrian Mafia cell in Melbourne that remains a powerful presence at Victoria's wholesale fruit and vegetable market.

Australian Federal Police superintendent Matt Warren has alleged that Mr Madafferi has a "strong association" with major drug traffickers.

"We see him [Tony Madafferi] as potentially someone who associates and has close associations with established organised crime figures," Mr Warren previously told Fairfax Media and Four Corners.

In 2015, former NSW police assistant commissioner Clive Small, a Mafia expert, warned politicians to avoid political donors such as Mr Madafferi.

"I find that so extremely difficult to understand: how they could do it or how they could be so naive [in dealing with Mr Madafferi after media exposes?" Mr Small said.

After the Lygon Street murder of Mr Madafferi's lawyer and associate, Joe Acquaro, in 2015, Mr Madafferi's solicitor, Paulo Tatti, revealed in an affidavit filed in court that detectives had falsely accused Mr Madafferi of placing a $200,000 contract on Mr Acquaro's life.

There is no suggestion Mr Madafferi was involved in Mr Acquaro's unsolved murder.

Madafferi and Guy's past

Mr Madafferi gained further notoriety after a 2015 Fairfax Media and Four Corners expose about his political donation activity. The expose detailed Mr Guy's appearance at the Madafferi political fundraiser in Docklands in 2013.

Mr Guy was planning minister at the time and his office claimed he had no role in Mr Madafferi's presence at the fundraiser. After the 2015 reports, Liberal politicians allegedly cut contact with Mr Madafferi.

Mr Madafferi was banned from Crown Casino that year by the Victorian Police chief commissioner amid extensive publicity, and after detectives investigated the Calabria-born businessman's extensive organised crime links.

Mr Madafferi is challenging that order in the Supreme Court, and the hearing is listed for August 14. Detective Brigham's affidavit in that case stated that: "[Mr Madafferi poses] … a risk to the integrity of both racing and casino venues in Victoria."

The Howard government gave Mr Madafferi's brother, drug trafficker Francesco Madafferi, a visa in 2006 after Tony Madafferi and Frank Lamattina lobbied and donated to several Liberal MPs.

The visa case was the subject of a national scandal, and sparked a federal police investigation into whether any politicians had been improperly swayed. By 2016, most senior Liberal MPs had cut contact with Tony Madafferi and some of his relatives who had been involved in the lobbying campaign.

The federal police closed their donations-for-visa probe after finding insufficient evidence that any criminal offence had been committed. But police warned in a confidential report obtained under freedom of information that Australia's donations system was exposed to corruption.

In 2015, then-senior Liberal minister Bruce Billson claimed he had been "deceived" into assisting with the visa request. He described the lobbying campaign — which involved claims that Francesco was too mentally unwell to be deported — as a "contrived veneer covering a far darker and disturbing situation".

"As soon as I became aware of further information [and] criminal allegations … I ceased contact with all parties involved and stridently expressed my bitter disappointment to the individual family member who had first raised this matter with me."

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

same op

i have a message for you mr commissioner: i am a public servant and i think some of the government's policies are in fact bad, and not good :twisted:

the wise commissioner bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm so back in the Howard years the Marriage Act was amended to specifically define it as between a man and a woman.

Lol that Howard set up a loving time bomb under his own party, but did this mean that in theory people could have gotten gay married prior to then?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jonah Galtberg posted:

What a lovely morning

It's brilliant since Guy keeps on pushing his Law and Order bullshit in every opportunity that he can get, even when the situation is about law and order.

Plus he's bland as gently caress and isn't half the man Dandrews is.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Apparently. Reading the articles from back then really makes me realise how much language around this has changed in the past decade.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/27/1085461876842.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is anyone watching Twin Peaks? Every time I see Dougie my mind turns him into Malcolm.

e: except Dougie gets poo poo done.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lol that Howard set up a loving time bomb under his own party, but did this mean that in theory people could have gotten gay married prior to then?

He actually did this in a number of ways, not least in terms of creating the massive revenue problem underpinning the budget deficit, that the Liberals can't fix without being slaughtered at any given election.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, what I meant but didnt write is 'yet another timebomb'

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hm so back in the Howard years the Marriage Act was amended to specifically define it as between a man and a woman.

They rushed it into law because they were worried about exactly that happening at the state/territory level.

Of course it would have had to happen in the few years between homosexuality being actively illegal and then, which really puts all those "IT'S ABOUT TRADITION!!" wankers into context, since the traditions are pretty drat evil.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

He actually did this in a number of ways, not least in terms of creating the massive revenue problem underpinning the budget deficit, that the Liberals can't fix without being slaughtered at any given election.

Also purging anyone with the slightest talent from the party to ensure no one could challenge him, hence dutton being a serious proposition for leader

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she was horrified by the extent of allegations raised in last night's Four Corners programinto the dumping of waste from NSW into Queensland.

The Four Corners investigation exposed an organised network of waste transporting and freighting companies sending waste by road and by rail to Queensland to avoid paying the high NSW landfill levy of $138 per tonne.

Hahahaahahahahhaah what the gently caress NSW

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Of course the solution is for Queensland to raise theirs to equalise it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NSW: dumping its poo poo on everyone else.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

Of course the solution is for Queensland to raise theirs to equalise it.

Apparently introducing a dumping levy is a major operation that will take years to implement.

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-08/australias-organised-waste-trade-queensland-premier/8783820
"Logistically to introduce a landfill levy you actually need a whole range of IT and back ends and all that sort of stuff," he said.

"It will take some years to have a landfill levy in place."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I lol'd when it was revealed that the place all the waste was going was Ipswich. How appropriate.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I lol'd when it was revealed that the place all the waste was going was Ipswich. How appropriate.

How could they tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why is Ipswich so outlandishly corrupt?

• Locked thread