Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ninja Theory's entire history consists of games that look very nice and have nothing else to recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought DmC was pretty fun and well made to be honest. It was at least as good as Devil May Cry 4.

3 is still the high point of the series.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody had any trouble with trophies unlocking in Horizon? Everything's been going along fine but I can't get the "stealth kill 10 machines" trophy to pop. It's annoying me because I think all I have left is story trophies and I'll have gotten My Very First Plat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I thought DmC was pretty fun and well made to be honest. It was at least as good as Devil May Cry 4.

:yikes:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
They're pretty good in theory though

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't disliked a Ninja Theory game yet, despite their flaws, so it'll probably at least be worth the $30 for me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yodzilla posted:

Dats bait *wags finger*

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hellblade looks decent from what I've watched but I'm also having a hard time getting excited about it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Has anybody had any trouble with trophies unlocking in Horizon? Everything's been going along fine but I can't get the "stealth kill 10 machines" trophy to pop. It's annoying me because I think all I have left is story trophies and I'll have gotten My Very First Plat.
I didn't and haven't seen anybody post about any trouble with the unlocks (not getting the plat theme and av code in your email is a common problem) but didn't they add a trophy for an NG+ ultra-hard run or something like that in a recent patch, so... you sure you're that close?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So does Ghost Recon Wildlands have legs?

I gave that 5 hour timed trial "demo" (I hate downloading a full 51 GB game just for a demo) and it seemed pretty fun from what I got to screw around with. 4-player Co-Op oriented Ghost Recon spliced into a Far Cry-like open world environment with lots of things to see, do, blow up, collect, etc. I'm having a lot of fun scoping around doing overwatch blowing away these cartel dudes or going loud with close quarters gun fights, the driving seems pretty fun, and it feels like the kind of game that has some real meat to it with all the random encounters, collectibles, and unlockables but I only got to experience 1% of the whole game according to my profile after the demo was up.

I'm thinking about picking it up because Yakuza Kiwami and Everybody's Golf aren't until the end of the month, and with the $15 credit I've got the game's only $33 CAD down from $80 which seems like a pretty great deal, but I thought maybe I'd ask first if the game gets more expansive than just messing around with convoys and shooting around these outposts.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As someone that beat Wildlands and traded it:

It's fun but it gets too repetitive towards the end wich let's say is very very dumb. If you can at least play the whole thing with friends do it. The only advantage of playing alone is that sync shot is overpowered and only AI mates do it.

The driving is good, has tons of weapons and all that, but as I said, it gets samey after 4-5 hours.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Don't get GR Wildlands unless you got friends and you basically want an open-world gently caress-around chat room. The game's structure is limited. You sort of make your own fun...

None of that is really a negative. Just know what you're getting into...

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I really liked Enslaved: Odyssey to the West until the last act. I've never played any other Ninja Theory games because I don't care about Devil May Cry and I never had a PlayStation before the PS4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always wanted to try Enslaved because Alex Garland wrote it, but I really dislike the art style and the gameplay looks like a PS2 platformer. The latter is not a bad thing, but is also not my bag.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I intended to go back to Nier after finishing TW3: Hearts of Stone but I started the download of Blood and Wine and then flipped over during a commercial of the baseball game I was watching to see if the download finished and have been playing it for like a week now. It's so huge. If this was a $40 standalone I'd tell everyone to buy it now. I think FO:NV was my previous "best DLC ever" game but TW3 has probably passed it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

This is the sort of opinion you get crucified for, but it's not too far from the truth.

Disclaimer: I only played DmC special edition, so whatever was wrong with the original launch, I haven't had any experience with. DMC3 is easily the best, and DmC has a lot of solid gameplay on the harder difficulties. Its biggest flaw is having to play it on lamo mode first. And that's a pretty big one, but if we're talking "actual quality of gameplay" DmC isn't that bad, and I could see putting on par with DMC4. A lot of people seem to have a really hard time seperating DmC's gameplay from its "attitude". It's true that DmC's gameplay is not at good as DMC3's. DMC4 was a step backward from DMC3, and it somehow reused levels even harder than DMC3. DmC didn't have this problem, and it had the Fox new Bumper Boss Fight, which was amazing.

If we're only comparing first playthroughs, yes, DmC is probably tied for 2nd worst with DMC2, but if we are considering gameplay found in other difficulty levels, DmC actually has some really good content.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In what ways was the combat in DMC 4 a step back from 3?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

In what ways was the combat in DMC 4 a step back from 3?

It's been awhile since I played both, but DMC3's weapon styles seemed much cooler than DMC4's... not having weapon styles.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Guillermus posted:

As someone that beat Wildlands and traded it:

It's fun but it gets too repetitive towards the end wich let's say is very very dumb. If you can at least play the whole thing with friends do it. The only advantage of playing alone is that sync shot is overpowered and only AI mates do it.

The driving is good, has tons of weapons and all that, but as I said, it gets samey after 4-5 hours.

Feenix posted:

Don't get GR Wildlands unless you got friends and you basically want an open-world gently caress-around chat room. The game's structure is limited. You sort of make your own fun...

None of that is really a negative. Just know what you're getting into...

Well I used to love that kind of open-world gently caress-around style, like I played GTA Online for hundreds of hours and the only reason I stopped playing that was because the pricing got way too ridiculous. I didn't probe too deeply into the online portion but is there the option to just jump into random open co-op lobbies and play with people or is it strict matchmaking and set squads? I liked what I was doing when I tried the trial, but I was just curious to know if the scope of the game grew.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dante has weapon styles with real time switching unlike DMC3 which makes him a lot more versatile, the other characters all have their own different gimmicks.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Hellblade first impressions: I've played an hour. So far it's a very atmospheric and harrowing linear walking simulator with a few promising combat segments. The puzzles aren't super interesting. They are pretty simple 'look for shapes in the environment". The fights feel good with dodging and striking back, breaking blocks etc. I feel like I've really only been in tutorial fights. Nothing's felt hard yet.

Everything is starting slow.

But all that said the atmosphere is genuinely oppressive and I had to stop because it was late and the feeling of going mad was getting to me. So it's been pretty affecting.

This is definitely not a game for everyone. But so far, I'm happy with my purchase.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Dante has weapon styles with real time switching unlike DMC3 which makes him a lot more versatile, the other characters all have their own different gimmicks.

It's time to confess that i'm a moron, and I stopped playing DMC4 when I switched to Dante. I didn't mean to, I just got distracted. So yes, while I've beaten DMC, DMC2, DMC3, and DmC, I have only played as Nero in DMC4. So like, half the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's fine because dante's portion of dmc4 is literally nero's but in reverse

like I'm pretty sure most of the bosses are even the same

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's what I had heard, and it contributed to my ease of distraction.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
DMC4 Dante has access to almost literally everything he could do in DMC3 all at the same time. it's overwhelming at first, but once you start to get a feel for it, it's exhilarating.

That alone puts it far above DmC, but I also think DmC's gameplay is boring, even without factoring in the comparisons to its mother series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Manatee Cannon posted:

They are but Dante plays pretty differently from Nero and his sections are probably the most fun in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DMC4 is probably the most technical character action game ever made and it makes me sad to see it compared unfavourably to DmC, the special edition also adds in a bunch of extra content.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

They are but Dante plays pretty differently from Nero and his sections are probably the most fun in the game.

I mean you're right, he does, but that was drowned out by the fact that I was playing the same poo poo I'd just got through playing but backwards. it felt really lazy

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm still super bitter about Metroid Other M. I know Ninja Theory isn't entirely to blame, but I have avoided their games ever since (and never cared about DMC).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

DMC4 is probably the most technical character action game ever made and it makes me sad to see it compared unfavourably to DmC, the special edition also adds in a bunch of extra content.

Okay, and that's fair. I have no doubt that DMC4 is better than DmC, but they have the same biggest problem: You have to play the lame and uninteresting version before you get to play the real game. Judging DMC4 by Neros playthrough is probably about as fair as judging DmC by any of the default difficulties. DmC doesn't get interesting until you beat it and unlock Son of Sparda difficulty. And that's a pretty big problem. If a game doesn't get good until the second playthrough, that's a serious flaw. But if the selling point of DMC4 is Dante's playthrough, I feel like it's a pretty fair comparison...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Are people confusing Team Ninja and Ninja Theory again?

Hint:
Both make mediocre games

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are people confusing Team Ninja and Ninja Theory again?

Hint:
Both make mediocre games

No? We were talking about Hellblade, made by Ninja Theory, which also made the controversial DmC...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Morby posted:

I'm still super bitter about Metroid Other M. I know Ninja Theory isn't entirely to blame, but I have avoided their games ever since (and never cared about DMC).

Wrong studio, mate.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean you're right, he does, but that was drowned out by the fact that I was playing the same poo poo I'd just got through playing but backwards. it felt really lazy

Don't get me wrong Capcom was lazy in its reuse of levels but combat encounters are more important than levels in that type of game and that's what DMC4 mostly excels it. If you wanna complain about that loving dice stage feel free though.

Snak posted:

Okay, and that's fair. I have no doubt that DMC4 is better than DmC, but they have the same biggest problem: You have to play the lame and uninteresting version before you get to play the real game. Judging DMC4 by Neros playthrough is probably about as fair as judging DmC by any of the default difficulties. DmC doesn't get interesting until you beat it and unlock Son of Sparda difficulty. And that's a pretty big problem. If a game doesn't get good until the second playthrough, that's a serious flaw. But if the selling point of DMC4 is Dante's playthrough, I feel like it's a pretty fair comparison...

I don't really see it like that though, Nero is fun to play and has plenty of interesting abilities all on his own, as do Lady, Trish and Virgil, Nero's main problem is that his portion is first and they're still teaching you the game to a certain extent, bump the difficulty up and that goes away.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What I'm saying is that that same logic should also apply to DmC and how Son of Sparda difficulty makes it a legit fun game by completely remixing the enemy composition. One of the biggest problems with DmC is that the fights are boring. That's a cardinal sin for an action game. But Son of Sparda difficulty introduces complex enemy combinations immediatley, so that you can start using all the tools available to your right away. In the regular game, you have fight after fight of mostly the same enemy at a time and it's really uninteresting, but Son of Sparda fixes all that. If you want to dismiss DmC because its default difficulties are a bad game, that's fine and fair. but if you want to say that DMC4 gets good after the first, tutorializing playthrough, I don't see of how it's fair to not apply the same logic to DmC.

You say the problem is "that his portion is first and they're still teaching you the game to a certain extent, bump the difficulty up and that goes away." But that's not the experience that I had with DMC1 or 3 (2 isn't good on any difficulty, but we do owe it for developing gunslinger style)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it's not the first play through it's the first half of the game, trouble is I enjoyed playing as Nero and the first half so I'm only really guessing at why people didn't like it. I didn't enjoy anything about DmC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Does the remaster son of Sparta still use those color coded enemies?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I didn't and haven't seen anybody post about any trouble with the unlocks (not getting the plat theme and av code in your email is a common problem) but didn't they add a trophy for an NG+ ultra-hard run or something like that in a recent patch, so... you sure you're that close?

Well, in that case maybe not! I think someone here posted that the new trophies don't affect the plat because they are in a separate section of the trophies, but maybe that's wrong.

At any rate, I tried deleting the game data and reinstalling but I've stealth killed like 30 machines since then and still no trophy.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I never played a game that had NG+ so I don't know what it means exactly. Isn't it just replaying the same game but it's easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends on the game, some make stuff harder, in others it's just an excuse to blast through again with your endgame characters, some actually add new things.