Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Additionally, a chunk of those "xxxx" containers can still be opened without hacking.

Are you saying there's a way to open broken safes that don't even have a working number pad without hacking? I have no idea what other containers you're refering to.

There's a metric ton of neuromods in the game, especially if you backtrack to areas with respawned enemies or recycle psi hypos, lures and nullwaves. There's also a bunch of quality of life stuff you don't have access to without hacking, like operator dispensers and security stations in certain areas. You can do without hacking if you want, but getting it to 2, and almost certainly even to 3 will absolutely pay for itself and make things less complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont think there are any security stations that require hacking to access? I think there's one security TERMINAL (the one outside the power plant) that require s hacking but there isnt anything unique on it and there's like two or three ways to get into every actual security room that dont require it.

And yeah hacking obviously makes things simpler and if you want things to be simpler you should take it, but if you prefer the puzzles and complexities and hunting and exploring you should give it a pass because it doesnt give you much of actual value (even suborning machines is more fun with Machine Mind instead, and turret juggling builds are tedious)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

And like I said, I only remember a single computer I needed hacking to get into.

What? No. Maybe computers related to quests, sure, they always have a password stashed somewhere but the majority of computers are non plot related and require hacking to access.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Theres the one in the room with the electified floor, and the one in the security room in front of the power plant. Thats the some total of the computers I could access without hacking on my no hacking playthrough. The vast vast majority of password protected computers can be accessed another way.

Can you actually think of a single computer beyond those two you need hacking to access?

This is exactly why I reccomend against newbies taking hacking if they like exploring. It ends up being a crutch and you end up thinking you need it and missing out on solving problems on your own.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 5, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GlyphGryph posted:

Theres the one in the room with the electified floot, and the one in the security room in front of the power plant. Thats the some total of the computets I could access without hacking on my playthrough. The vast vast majority of password protected computers can be accessed another way.

Can you actually think of a single computer beyond those two you need hacking to access?

Off the top of my head, I think there's a computer in the trauma center that doesn't accept passwords.

There were plenty more on the station, though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Which computer in trauma center? Did it have a password field or an error message?

To clarify: I got the Press Sneak achievement on my first run, which was a no hacking run. Which means AT LEAST 95% of computer content is accessible without hacking.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 5, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

But I totally agree with your gameplay concerns. Hacking is always the boring solution. I wrote about it earlier in the thread, and how in contrast Repair though often just another analog for a key, is much more interesting by having a cost associated, being realtime and being an action in the game's actual world (without an awful minigame).

GlyphGryph posted:

Which computer in trauma center? Did it have a password field or an error message?

Not far from the operating table at the back, in the main hall. But it's been weeks since I touched the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
So you're saying literally all but two computers have their passwords out in the wild somewhere? You got the achievement for reading (almost) all the emails without using hacking at all? If you did it, then ok but I used hacking as a last resort and I found that the vast majority of computers did not have a password available in the world.

edit ok just saw your edit where you did get the achievement. Well, I guess there's more than I thought but the emails are also duplicated on a lot of computers, I'll see if I can keep track on a no hacking run.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ah yeah, that one... Hmm, unlike the others mentioned I do think that one actually had a unique email in it too... and wasnt it a rather high hacking level to boot?

Repair is much more important than hacking, there are multiple quests and at least one map area that require it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There are definitely more than 2 computers in the game that don't have the password nearby. I played through twice and looked around pretty drat thoroughly and there are a whole lot I never found the password for, but even if I'd just been totally unobservant, there's definitely more than two that are straight broken and won't even accept a password at all and must be hacked.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mimic also has a few areas you can only get to using it, though none are particularly important.

Also, a lot of the computers you can get into without hacking but it can be hard to figure access out sometimes. I remember there was one that took me forever - turned out the post it was on the back of the monitor haha

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I like figuring out puzzles and exploring but I don't really like looking under every desk for a password. A hacking level of 2 didn't really let me bypass a ton of stuff, and in all honesty hacking 4 doesn't let you skip a bunch of puzzles from what I remember.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got hacking IV because I had a million neuromods to feel like a cool rear end hacker accessing Alex's account before he let me.

A lot of the higher tiers of skills have problems justifying their investment, imo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I don't think Hacking is a crutch so much, it can certainly be used that way in some places but it's also a generally useful skill for getting additional free loot from containers, turning hostile turrets and operators friendly, and getting you early access to some fabrication plans.

You could make the same argument for Repair being a crutch but I don't think it's fair to refer to either skill in that way

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I've been having a rough time with this game since I started. Even with all your tips! I've been avoiding taking the alien powers because the story makes it sound like I'm part of the problem if I do that! Eventually broke down in the arboretum and got the kinetic shock thing or something like that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you decide to take more, Psychoshock and Mimic are the two best alien powers by far - Psychoshock is the best combat power because it nullifies enemy abilities and increases the damage you deal to them, while Mimic is great fun and lets you do several interesting things.

Kinetic blast or whatever kind of sucks if its the one I am thinking of.

Do you have the Q Beam from way back in the beginning or several points since? What are you focusing on for your combat build? Have you taken a couple levels in combat focus?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

If you decide to take more, Psychoshock and Mimic are the two best alien powers by far - Psychoshock is the best combat power because it nullifies enemy abilities and increases the damage you deal to them, while Mimic is great fun and lets you do several interesting things.

Do you have the Q Beam from way back in the beginning or several points since? What are you focusing on for your combat build? Have you taken a couple levels in combat focus?

Kinetic Blast is the one that creates an explosion wherever you point. It's extremely strong it's just not ridiculously broken like Psychoshock is

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Any tips for the end game? the loving military operators are crushing me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stun gun, upgrade it if you can. Electrostatic Burst works well against operators, or machine mind them.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

I just got the Q Beam from that loving rear end in a top hat in the kitchen who I am going to murder and reload for every time he's gotten me loving killed, which is a lot.

My build has been shotgun and pistol for the most part but I keep running out of ammo and dying quick. Don't get me wrong, it's a very enjoyable game and I'm not complaining, it's been fun figuring stuff out. I guess with guns though I just try to play a fps when I should be trying to play Dishonored.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Stumbled into this game with a vague notion it's a high-budget shooter by a company that's made good stuff before. Somehow had an impression it would be on the "OK" level. Nope; it's top-notch, although certainly not original in gameplay style or theme.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I dont think there are any security stations that require hacking to access? I think there's one security TERMINAL (the one outside the power plant) that require s hacking but there isnt anything unique on it and there's like two or three ways to get into every actual security room that dont require it.

And yeah hacking obviously makes things simpler and if you want things to be simpler you should take it, but if you prefer the puzzles and complexities and hunting and exploring you should give it a pass because it doesnt give you much of actual value (even suborning machines is more fun with Machine Mind instead, and turret juggling builds are tedious)

if you dont like setting up elaborate turret ambushes to kill 1 or 2 mimics then you probably dont "get" this game

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Q-beam does short work of them. I also had a hoard of EMP grenades at that point, although their AOE is so small that it can be hard to hit them properly.

If you have the right neuromods installed, they will drop Q-beam cells as well so you should break roughly even with your ammo. I struggled with disruptor ammo more than anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grem posted:

I just got the Q Beam from that loving rear end in a top hat in the kitchen who I am going to murder and reload for every time he's gotten me loving killed, which is a lot.

My build has been shotgun and pistol for the most part but I keep running out of ammo and dying quick. Don't get me wrong, it's a very enjoyable game and I'm not complaining, it's been fun figuring stuff out. I guess with guns though I just try to play a fps when I should be trying to play Dishonored.

My first piece of advice was to make sure not to miss the qbeam in hardware way back at the beginning! You also missed like two more on the way there.

If you are doing a security weapon focus, have you taken several levels in security weapons, and combat focus, and fully upgraded the guns you are using? Are you stunning or gloo-ing enemies first? Shotgun and Pistol are fine weapons but if you have committed to them you should have them pretty much maxxed out by crew corners to the point you are Doom Marining around and most enemies are getting one shotted.

Also you should be one shotting smaller enemies like mimic with your wrench in slow mo and not wasting ammo on them.

You have the neuromod plans by this point right?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 7, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Only fight them when you need to because the dispensers will churn out new ones almost immediately.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gobblecoque posted:

Only fight them when you need to because the dispensers will churn out new ones almost immediately.

Unless you block the openings with something!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Don't finish off damaged operators that drop to the floor, this should keep the dispenser from spawning new ones.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

My first piece of advice was to make sure not to miss the qbeam in hardware way back at the beginning! You also missed like two more on the way there.

If you are doing a security weapon focus, have you taken several levels in security weapons, and combat focus, and fully upgraded the guns you are using? Are you stunning or gloo-ing enemies first? Shotgun and Pistol are fine weapons but if you have committed to them you should have them pretty much maxxed out by crew corners to the point you are Doom Marining around and most enemies are getting one shotted.

Also you should be one shotting smaller enemies like mimic with your wrench in slow mo and not wasting ammo on them.

You have the neuromod plans by this point right?

I've been using the kinetic blast as a crutch, I guess, I'll start using combat focus more, so much seems to happen so fast in this game during combat and combat focus didn't feel like a huge help. No idea how I missed the qbeam though, is that the hole in the men's floor you were talking about? Cause I went down there. For whatever reason the pistol and shotgun aren't one shotting anything besides mimics, maybe I'll get a regular phantom with the shotgun in one shot, but it's iffy. I'm definitely thinking next run through to use the gently caress out of the alien poo poo, but it's a little frustrating having only one being able to be slotted at a time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Someone pointed out earlier, much earlier, in this thread that the 'all emails read' achievement pops well before you've read all the emails. This means you can't 'prove' that you've read everything without hacking by saying you got that achievement.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kinetic Blast is an excellent mod, assuming you build around it. On hard, I was able to one-shot phantoms and large groups of mimics with it, and the psychoshock/kinetic blast combo will tear apart almost anything. The key is specializing your build. Everything is good, you just have to make sure you're getting the most out of whatever you're doing.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Kinetic blast also knocks over and stuns enemies which is pretty handy.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

I just used gloo + hacking 4, military operators like fighting other military operators a lot and you can just fly on past. Also watching them fight is a pretty light show.

The only way I know they respawn is by reading this thread - because it looks like if you just take over them all no new ones show up.

xiw fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 8, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

xiw posted:

I just used gloo + hacking 4, military operators like fighting other military operators a lot and you can just fly on past. Also watching them fight is a pretty light show.

The only way I know they respawn is by reading this thread - because it looks like if you just take over them all no new ones show up.

Yeah, them re-spawning really caught me by surprise when it happened. I saw one pop out of the machine and was like...son of a bitch.

Do they just re-spawn infinitely, or are they limited to the 3 per machine that operators normally are?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm pretty sure they spawn endlessly to fill up the required number of operators in an area unless you block the dispenser.

I actually tried GLOO but it didn't seem to work. Tape drives and such should.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It seemed to me I could exhaust the respawn, but it took some time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I didn't know/didn't have a high enough leverage skill to block them on my first playthrough. Jumping around the shuttle bay dodging and fighting those things was a real pain. Should be easier this time around.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Max out sneak attack and stun gun and you can kill them with a single zap from pretty much across the room. Makes the final segment a walk in the park.
Also they drop more ammo than they require to take down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grem posted:

I've been using the kinetic blast as a crutch, I guess, I'll start using combat focus more, so much seems to happen so fast in this game during combat and combat focus didn't feel like a huge help. No idea how I missed the qbeam though, is that the hole in the men's floor you were talking about? Cause I went down there. For whatever reason the pistol and shotgun aren't one shotting anything besides mimics, maybe I'll get a regular phantom with the shotgun in one shot, but it's iffy. I'm definitely thinking next run through to use the gently caress out of the alien poo poo, but it's a little frustrating having only one being able to be slotted at a time.

I have never tried to build around Kinetic Blast, so I'm changing my opinion and trusting others saying you can really make it work.

But lets look at damage for a bit.
An upgraded shotgun does a base 66 damage. (you gotta be close though)
The pistol does 10, although you can get a better pistol in crew quarters that does... 13? Somewhere like that.

Security weapons skill increases that damage by 50%, to 99 and 15.

Combat Focus increases that damage by another 50%. So 148 and 22.

Sneak Attack increases your damage by 150% so long as enemies are unaware. So... yeah that starts getting absurd at that point.

Enemies that are stunned or disabled also take... double damage? So double that again. You can stun an enemy and then sneak attack them to combine the bonuses.

You can dish out a shitton of damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Sneak attacking can also be upgraded to let you do 250% bonus damage, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

thanks for the tips guys, got through the tough part zapping and hacking.