Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Yeah Double XP all this week. Not sure when it ends, maybe the end of the weekend?

https://twitter.com/respawn/status/894676725652537345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you like the faced paced, movement focused shooting of Titanfall, you might enjoy LawBreakers, the new game from Cliffy B. It feels a lot like old-school Unreal Tournament mixed with Overwatch style character abilities. It's really good. I didn't expect much from it but was very pleasantly surprised by it during the beta. It's pretty cheap too. Only $30/£25.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd seen the steam ads but I was unsure about dipping a toe into Lawbreakers, but if it moves like Titanfall I think I might give it a shot.

Wazzit posted:

Yeah Double XP all this week. Not sure when it ends, maybe the end of the weekend?

https://twitter.com/respawn/status/894676725652537345

Aw hell yiss

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The comparison is that it's fast. Really fast. No wallrunning or giant robots though. Lots of zero-g bullet ballet though!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=569k8Z7UQc4

Gunder posted:

No wallrunning or giant robots
pass

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've got one group of friends that want to play with me on pc and one group that wants to play on ps4 and I'm caught in the middle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gunder posted:

If you like the faced paced, movement focused shooting of Titanfall, you might enjoy LawBreakers, the new game from Cliffy B. It feels a lot like old-school Unreal Tournament mixed with Overwatch style character abilities. It's really good. I didn't expect much from it but was very pleasantly surprised by it during the beta. It's pretty cheap too. Only $30/£25.

It looks bad. Bad like Overwatch.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

get ready for the lawbreakers invitational

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Frothy's been pimping Lawbreaker's pretty hard, and I quite like the game. Its nice to play something with a good tickrate again, but I worry it's going to be another niche title like Titanfall 2.

It's actually nothing like Overwatch since it's well thought out and has good maps.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes, but he's also a total shill.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Ion get the gently caress over here you lazy rear end in a top hat

http://i.imgur.com/Np7pCky.gifv

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Got back into the game after heavily bouncing off it at launch. I basically just play Frontier mode now. Don't know why I find it so much fun. Shooty, Stompy Robutts I guess :shobon: Would have probably tossed some $$ at the game for some Frontier pack but Origin overlay doesn't want to let me type anything into any text fields.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mobile Suit Dundef

Gunder
May 22, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

Ion get the gently caress over here you lazy rear end in a top hat

http://i.imgur.com/Np7pCky.gifv

There should be a "STOP MOONWALKING AND SPRINT TO ME" button.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Gunder posted:

Ha, came to this thread to see if anyone in here was playing and how it stacks up. Are there fun quirks to figure out in the movement system like slidehopping and airturning and the like? Is there a grapple? how's the grapple?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

Ha, came to this thread to see if anyone in here was playing and how it stacks up. Are there fun quirks to figure out in the movement system like slidehopping and airturning and the like? Is there a grapple? how's the grapple?

There is a lot of movement skill stuff you can do involving the zero-g areas of the maps. They seem to be heavily character specific though as each has their own unique mobility skill. The Assassin has a really killer grapple, it's a ton of fun, better than Titanfall's grapple imo.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Yeah Northstar is great on black water canal, though if you wanted to be a gloryhound you could also park on the bridge and lock down two and a half lanes with arc mines, tethers, and piercing shots.

Northstar is fantastic on literally all the FD maps. I've had her aegis rank maxed out for a while now and pretty consistently top damage no matter the map. Since Rise is the Insane map right now you'd have to be dumb as rocks not to have someone playing her. The entire map is three narrow lanes, it's just triple and quad collateral hits all day long.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i've been far more impressed with her core against predictable targets like the ai titans than i ever was in pvp. it's usually enough to take down at least one titan with damage to spare iirc, which is more than i ever managed to use it for before

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Especially with the amount of arc traps and tethers you can get up and get AI titans with. Also playing FD as Northstar let's you see the best Titan executions a whole lot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Northstar is fantastic on literally all the FD maps. I've had her aegis rank maxed out for a while now and pretty consistently top damage no matter the map. Since Rise is the Insane map right now you'd have to be dumb as rocks not to have someone playing her. The entire map is three narrow lanes, it's just triple and quad collateral hits all day long.

You know, you're right

It does feel like FD has given Northstar some new life, especially since she gets Piercing Shot by default.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"

hiddenriverninja posted:

get ready for the lawbreakers invitational

The law says you cannot touch....................

.....but I think I see a lotta lawwhhhbreakas up in here

https://youtu.be/dno1HK7X2gU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lawbreakers actually looks badass but I don't think I have it in me to jump into another high octane multiplayer game for a good long while.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I really wish people wouldn't start dropping out of Frontier Defense matches when you lose one round. I had my entire team abandon me last night on the final round in War Games. I almost thought I was gonna pull it off because I had Legion and just kept getting cores over and over again when the enemy titans just stacked on top of each other outside the harvester, but then the stupid reapers showed up on the other side.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

i've been far more impressed with her core against predictable targets like the ai titans than i ever was in pvp. it's usually enough to take down at least one titan with damage to spare iirc, which is more than i ever managed to use it for before

Yeah it's pretty nice for taking out a titan or two ASAP but even in FD it still has some major weaknesses. You can work around them but you really have to know what you're doing and plan carefully to get work done with it. First off any titan with a shield (gun shield, particle wall, thermal shield, vortex, sword block) can nullify a good portion of the damage and pretty much waste the core.

The trick is to exploit the predictability of the AI, they will generally hit their shield if you nail them with a charged railgun shot. I usually charge another shot while I wait for their shield to time out. Hit them with that shot, cluster missile, and then use flight core. It works every time.

The other big weakness is being stuck in the air without viper thrusters makes you an easy target. On Master and Insane the AI titans are basically aimbots. Tone and Scorch especially will blow you out of the sky in the blink of an eye if you don't respect them. You really have to be careful about when and where you pop that flight core if you don't want to become the Titan equivalent of a clay pigeon.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Thunderbolt or Archer for titan killing on anything higher than Regular?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Probably thunderbolt so you can line it up and "graze" a ton of Titan's

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Archer can lock on to drones, which is really handy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Thunderbolt or Archer for titan killing on anything higher than Regular?

Thunderbolt is the best AT weapon right now, regardless of mode.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Except the drones can juke weirdly and that just throws the archer right the gently caress off. I think i prefer the thunderbolt by far.

Any way, yeah, the AI is judicious in its ability usage but they tend to use the defensive abilities right at the start of one your offensive ones. For north star this usually means right after the cluster missile hits it the railgun connects, which is fine, but for say, tones tracking missiles it'll pop after the first missile connects so most will be wasted on the shield.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Huh? Maybe before the nerf. Still definitely viable. Best in FD probably

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Best: Overall

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I carry it in most of my kits just because of how fast it builds the meter. When I switch to a kit with the mgl or archer it's nice to remember what it's like to bring down titans faster, but I always go crawling back.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hate constantly having to leave my Scorch (it's too fun) to deal with mortar titans because my pub team can't be bothered.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm grateful or sad that AI titan spawn locations are pretty much the same across rounds. All you need to do is stack up on arc traps and plant them in the same places.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Can someone school me on this. The archer's lockon with reload speed means you can dish out a lot of damage in relative safety from distance, and it one shots reapers. The tb has like zero ranged potential because of its travel speed. Is the idea of the TB to (and if I'm that close I'd rather rodeo) hit a lane or aoe? Also during respawn the archer let's you dish out damage like some god damned orbital satellite where as the to you can fire, land, and probably get hit by your own tb that hasn't made it to the ground yet.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Is the idea of the TB to (and if I'm that close I'd rather rodeo) hit a lane or aoe?

Basically. If you shoot the thunderbolt over a group of titans it'll do continuous damage to all of them as it passes and build your meter super fast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

Can someone school me on this. The archer's lockon with reload speed means you can dish out a lot of damage in relative safety from distance, and it one shots reapers. The tb has like zero ranged potential because of its travel speed. Is the idea of the TB to (and if I'm that close I'd rather rodeo) hit a lane or aoe? Also during respawn the archer let's you dish out damage like some god damned orbital satellite where as the to you can fire, land, and probably get hit by your own tb that hasn't made it to the ground yet.

I've killed way more Titans in every mode with Thunderbolt vs Archer. Pin a titan on one side with esmoke and TB shots on the other side. Death by thunderstorm.

TB also doesn't give away your position to pilots.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've just been placed into eleven Final Waves in a row. :psyduck:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

I've just been placed into eleven Final Waves in a row. :psyduck:

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
it's probably because final wave can be very make or break, some people tend to quit after failing once and the last wave is obviously the one that you're most likely to fail