Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems that most teleport games don't do it as well as Robo Recall. I love that you can choose what will be in front of you when you teleport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

moosecow333 posted:

Whoa, I'm really excited for that update which might be coming out! Also, has anyone found a way to rotate your facing in H3VR? Some of the stuff happens behind or to the side where my sensors are a bit weak and I don't really have anywhere to put an additional sensor.

AFAIK theres no options, you'd have to change the room itself in Steam beforehand. Or use this tool, which I haven't and can't vouch for- https://amp.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4yoihe/chaperonetweak_an_invr_chaperone_editor/

It'sa common issue with roomscale, only games I think of that have it are TiltBrush and Symphony of the Machine

Tangentially related, I love how VTOL VR handles finding where your seat is. Was initially worried I'd have to put a chair in just the right place to make it play ball

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah it's unfortunate for consumers that HTC is in the position where they are really only able to make profit on hardware (ignoring Viveport) and it really doesn't seem like they are interested in cutting into those profits.

I don't even buy that they're in a position where they have to charge that, like they have no choice. I gotta believe even at 2 for $100 they would be making plenty of profit on a couple hunks of plastic, some sensors, transmitter, and battery. Things like 1 tracking puck for a hundred freaking dollars feels more like a "we can so we will, neener neener" than anything pragmatic. The only people that will ever buy them and use them are developers and commercial entities really, so I guess it just doesn't matter in the slightest to them what they charge for it.

I really hope those knuckles controllers come out for $100 so no one will ever have to buy a replacement controller from HTC again. Maybe even use them as tracked objects like the touch, since they won't be locked to the vive specifically and could be use with the LG headest or whatever.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Not sure why you would expect a state of the art VR motion controller to sell for less than the price of a regular XBone gamepad.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BMan posted:

Not sure why you would expect a state of the art VR motion controller to sell for less than the price of a regular XBone gamepad.

An xbone controller isn't 100 unless you get the pro, right?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BMan posted:

Yet Rift Touch is 99 bucks? Which is what an elite xbone controller costs I guess.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Personally I don't think 1 for $100 bucks is decently priced in the slightest. They should be selling like at least a 2 for $100, if not an even better deal. Even putting aside oculus selling 2 controllers and a sensor for $100, HTC themselves sells individual controllers for what, $120 each? All the extra hardware, haptics, controls, buttons, larger battery, complexity etc of the wands is only 20 bucks more? I get that its just really a thing for developers to play around with and not for consumers, but it feels like real nickle and dime bullshit to me.

Yeah it's for devs, don't buy them as a user. Honestly at $100 per they are probably still losing money. It's not easy to make high quality hardware when the number of units is extremely low. Occulus touch is in a completely different world, that's like trying to compare a specific model dirt bike to the Toyota Camry.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I actually meant the part about "2 for $100". The touch controllers probably are cheaper though since they have LEDs instead of sensors.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

More than an xbox controller for the wand sure, but the tracking puck? I can't believe their costs on one of those is 50 bucks even. Even then, I still believe fully valve will release the 2 knuckles controllers for no more than 99.99 altogether, which will just make the cost for 1 wand, or 1 puck even sillier.

Who knows, I certainly don't have access to their financial information, but $100 for 1 single puck feels really lovely.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity (I had nothing better to do at work...)I decided to try and price it out at least the raw parts in the wands, minus stuff like the chip driving the touchpad. Using the absolute most inflated and generous prices (like, literally digikey prices for 1-50 units type of inflated) I could for all the chips located in the wands, the batteries, photodiodes, flex pcb's, the absolute most it would cost in raw parts for me to put one together would be around $32.50. Theres no way HTC is paying even half that realistically. Of course they have the design, tooling, manufacturing costs, and my idiotic back of a napkin lazy afternoon calculations don't even consider all that. Still, I have a hard time seeing them not making a nice profit even selling 2 for that cost.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 8, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man I'm loving Project Cars and Dirt Rally but what I really want is an open world racing game with VR support. Something like Forza Horizon or NFS Underground, would be tons of fun to race around doing street racing in VR instead of just serious circuit racing.

Probably gonna be awhile before we get anything like that though. :smith: Niche audience and all that. I don't suppose I've overlooked anything? I mean there's Euro Truck Sim but eh.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I'm loving Project Cars and Dirt Rally but what I really want is an open world racing game with VR support. Something like Forza Horizon or NFS Underground, would be tons of fun to race around doing street racing in VR instead of just serious circuit racing.

Probably gonna be awhile before we get anything like that though. :smith: Niche audience and all that. I don't suppose I've overlooked anything? I mean there's Euro Truck Sim but eh.

Great, now I want a VR Carmageddon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rectus posted:

Great, now I want a VR Carmageddon.

Or gently caress, VR Crazy Taxi. That would own SO hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh poo poo, Just In Time Incorporated is out? Late last month looks like. Has anybody got it? Looked like a great idea but steam reviews say its super short :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

moosecow333 posted:

Whoa, I'm really excited for that update which might be coming out! Also, has anyone found a way to rotate your facing in H3VR? Some of the stuff happens behind or to the side where my sensors are a bit weak and I don't really have anywhere to put an additional sensor.
Yeah, he has a teleport option for front-facing (non-360) users. It's like Robo Recall's teleport except in two steps (pick a destination point, then repeat for direction), which is kind of annoying, but at least it's in there. Just spawn an options menu and check out the locomotion options.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zaphod42 posted:

Or gently caress, VR Crazy Taxi. That would own SO hard.

I just think any of your big city driving games would be great. I'm replaying Mafia 3 wishing I could be driving around New Bordeaux in first person, but the same could be applied to Sleeping Dogs or Watch Dogs. I don't care about the rest of the game, I just want to be driving around the cities.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ZombyDog posted:

I just think any of your big city driving games would be great. I'm replaying Mafia 3 wishing I could be driving around New Bordeaux in first person, but the same could be applied to Sleeping Dogs or Watch Dogs. I don't care about the rest of the game, I just want to be driving around the cities.
I'm kind of surprised there aren't any available yet. After seeing GTA V modded for VR about a year ago (before I got into VR), I was pretty excited for the possibilities. Maybe the requirement for everything to run smooth on a GTX 970 as a baseline is limiting larger VR open-world games?

Then again, the more probable reason is that it takes huge resources and time to do open-world environments and none of the AAA developers have decided to shoehorn-patch their older games with VR support.

I do really want this kind of experience, though. It'd be a lot of fun to jump in a car and drive around. Combine that with a game like The Crew (1 or 2) and you'd have an entire simulation of America to explore.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 8, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

God drat I need a VR port of Interstate '76 right loving now!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm super glad people are porting old doom to vr, and doom3 vr port is real good. But, yeah

Enos Cabell posted:

God drat I need a VR port of Interstate '76 right loving now!

and also jedi knight 2/jedi academy. holy poo poo that would own. And NFS underground 2. That's still the best NFS isn't it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I playing Battlegrounds and I'd loving love this with VR support, it feels just slow paced enough to work.

Especially with that "out of body" teleport locomotion that keeps the game balanced for everyone.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Truga posted:

and also jedi knight 2/jedi academy.

Someone already did this. Jedi academy is out there, and they're working on jedi outcast now, or have already released the first build, not sure.

EDIT: Jedi Academy
Jedi Outcast

Haven't tried them, don't know how well they work.

EDIT2:

vvvvvv Thats a shame, I hadn't looked into either of them before looking for those links just now. Considering they're based on quake3 and that source has been out there for ages, I wonder if it would be possible to mod motion controller support into it. They managed to do it amazingly well for doom 3, pity.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 8, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK those are gamepad affairs and don't even work with revive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I'm kind of surprised there aren't any available yet. After seeing GTA V modded for VR about a year ago (before I got into VR), I was pretty excited for the possibilities. Maybe the requirement for everything to run smooth on a GTX 970 as a baseline is limiting larger VR open-world games?

Then again, the more probable reason is that it takes huge resources and time to do open-world environments and none of the AAA developers have decided to shoehorn-patch their older games with VR support.

I do really want this kind of experience, though. It'd be a lot of fun to jump in a car and drive around. Combine that with a game like The Crew (1 or 2) and you'd have an entire simulation of America to explore.

Yeah it would be amazing if GTA V would do official support, or like The Crew or anything. :( Like you said, I just wanna drive around a virtual city in VR. That'd be so good. I don't even need shooting.

Truga posted:

And NFS underground 2. That's still the best NFS isn't it?

Basically, yeah. All the NFS games after underground 2 are at best as good as NFSU2, most are just okay, and a few are straight terrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

and also jedi knight 2/jedi academy. holy poo poo that would own.

Tom Guycot posted:

Someone already did this. Jedi academy is out there, and they're working on jedi outcast now, or have already released the first build, not sure.

EDIT: Jedi Academy
Jedi Outcast

Haven't tried them, don't know how well they work.

Extremely dubious about this. The Jedi Knight games were best played like you were fighting in an anime, jumping 50 feet in the air to do somersaults and hit your opponent with your lightsaber as you land, and then force push him off a ledge.

It just seems way too fast paced for VR. Games like Quake 3 and Team Fortress 2 just aren't really comfortable even if you adapt the game to VR, the base design is just not really ideal for it. Way too much movement with super fast acceleration and turning on a dime.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Great to see a summer update for Dead & Buried, combined with price reduction for ReVive folks: https://www.oculus.com/blog/dead-and-buried-releases-summer-of-bullets-update-360-capture-mixed-reality-support-and-more/
New map, matchmaking/options improvements and some other stuff. Still one of the most consistently fun VR experiences for me - alongside Echo Arena now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

It just seems way too fast paced for VR. Games like Quake 3 and Team Fortress 2 just aren't really comfortable even if you adapt the game to VR, the base design is just not really ideal for it. Way too much movement with super fast acceleration and turning on a dime.

Serious same is my favourite shooter in vr right now, and it's basically just a horde shooter with slightly slower gameplay than doom 1. You kinda get used to it.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it would be amazing if GTA V would do official support, or like The Crew or anything. :( Like you said, I just wanna drive around a virtual city in VR. That'd be so good. I don't even need shooting.

You could try this:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/493490/City_Car_Driving/

I heard the VR implementation sucks though

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

More than an xbox controller for the wand sure, but the tracking puck? I can't believe their costs on one of those is 50 bucks even. Even then, I still believe fully valve will release the 2 knuckles controllers for no more than 99.99 altogether, which will just make the cost for 1 wand, or 1 puck even sillier.

Who knows, I certainly don't have access to their financial information, but $100 for 1 single puck feels really lovely.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity (I had nothing better to do at work...)I decided to try and price it out at least the raw parts in the wands, minus stuff like the chip driving the touchpad. Using the absolute most inflated and generous prices (like, literally digikey prices for 1-50 units type of inflated) I could for all the chips located in the wands, the batteries, photodiodes, flex pcb's, the absolute most it would cost in raw parts for me to put one together would be around $32.50. Theres no way HTC is paying even half that realistically. Of course they have the design, tooling, manufacturing costs, and my idiotic back of a napkin lazy afternoon calculations don't even consider all that. Still, I have a hard time seeing them not making a nice profit even selling 2 for that cost.

I hate to derail but here I go. Yes the per item cost of creation of each puck is very likely below $50 per, and I agree I wish they would do them in packs of 2 or 3 for a similar cost. The reason I said they likely are not making a profit is I believe they only intend to create a couple thousand units. Making a profit is much more than creation, packaging and distribution. They also had to have people design, market, and support the items and create the documentation and software. Those people get really expensive on a per item basis when you only sell a couple thousand units.

The reason I said they are "reasonable" is that compared to many dev kits, this is a very low cost of entry. The hardware seems mature and solid (no talk of loose wires) and you don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops submitting company information/project plan to get the hardware or software.

These items are for development only and no one should buy one that isn't working on VR hardware or having fun as a hobby. At $100 per they are a cheap hobby. I'd personally love to get 3 and setup a reverse IK rig, but it just seems like a waste, so I'll wait and hope like everyone else that the Knuckles + wands let us use wands to create 5 point tracking.

Often hardware dev kits cost many time more than consumer products, are brittle, and require extensive documentation for the privilege of buying overpriced soon to be outdated hardware. Of course just as often they are completely free but only given to very few developers in an attempt to kickstart development. I think HTC took a decent middle ground of setting it up like a semi-reasonable product, but no end consumers should buy them yet.

Edit: TLDR: This is a bad consumer product that no one should buy. This is a good/cheap development kit that VR hardware developers should consider buying.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 8, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nail on the head there.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Batman Arkham VR is on sale for $9, which is just about low enough for me to give it a shot.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 8, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I was thinking about getting QuiVR. Is there some benefit to buying a game on the Rift store instead of on Steam if you have an Oculus Rift? I would like to keep most of my game purchases on Steam if possible.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mostly it's just more convenient to launch stuff through Oculus Home. Very rarely a game might be SteamVR only on Steam without any direct Rift support, while the same title on the Oculus store of course uses the Oculus SDK. Arizona Sunshine I believe does/did this, and I have no idea why.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

I was thinking about getting QuiVR. Is there some benefit to buying a game on the Rift store instead of on Steam if you have an Oculus Rift? I would like to keep most of my game purchases on Steam if possible.

If it's multiplayer, steam.
If it's single player. I'm going through oculus if it's cheaper.

That's how Ive been buying games

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

This is a good strategy. To expand on it, Steam and Oculus both offer their own multiplayer services tied to their respective walled gardens. If a game developer chooses to use these then their game will not support cross-service multiplayer. In that case you definitely want the Steam version because it'll certainly have more players for the foreseeable future.

If a game doesn't use either of those (for example UPlay titles) or just doesn't have multiplayer at all then it doesn't really matter and the storefront is just that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

Serious same is my favourite shooter in vr right now, and it's basically just a horde shooter with slightly slower gameplay than doom 1. You kinda get used to it.

Can you even jump in Serious Sam? Its very fast but its also mostly running in a line away from dudes in a big huge open empty flat plane.

Its not like Quake 3 where you're bunny jumping all the time and flying through the air and suddenly turning all your momentum to a totally different angle.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Parker Lewis posted:

Batman Arkham VR is on sale for $9, which is just about low enough for me to give it a shot.

Nice, i'll have to check that out now.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

Mostly it's just more convenient to launch stuff through Oculus Home. Very rarely a game might be SteamVR only on Steam without any direct Rift support, while the same title on the Oculus store of course uses the Oculus SDK. Arizona Sunshine I believe does/did this, and I have no idea why.

EbolaIvory posted:

wolrah posted:

This is a good strategy. To expand on it, Steam and Oculus both offer their own multiplayer services tied to their respective walled gardens. If a game developer chooses to use these then their game will not support cross-service multiplayer. In that case you definitely want the Steam version because it'll certainly have more players for the foreseeable future.

If a game doesn't use either of those (for example UPlay titles) or just doesn't have multiplayer at all then it doesn't really matter and the storefront is just that.

Thanks, that helps. I guess I was worried that if I bought it on Steam I would be using some "not calibrated for Rift" version of the game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm allowed to think the Robo Recall end theme is great, right?

It's juvenile and lowest common denominator but so is the rest of the game. :v:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

jubjub64 posted:

Thanks, that helps. I guess I was worried that if I bought it on Steam I would be using some "not calibrated for Rift" version of the game.

If it's on Oculus's store then it will use the Oculus SDK, which is generally considered better for perf/async. If you buy it on Steam with will certainly support SteamVR and therefore the rift but possibly not as well as the the Oculus SDK. It will likely also have an option to launch using the Oculus SDK (example Soundboxing gives you the option for either if you launch it from the desktop).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

jubjub64 posted:

I generally always do a quick check of the games' forum on Steam to see if there are any known VR issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Just got my rift n touch, no Xbox controller and it was in its own special package with no spot for one. But anyways, are there any vr games that give the feel of this gif?

https://twitter.com/XenosynthPlus/status/895088943992946688