Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

When he tried to heroically charge down Dany on his white horse while looking amazing was peak Jaime.

Jaime is my favorite character in the books and show but poor dude is clearly gonna die either in the process of killing Cersei or not much after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

lezard_valeth posted:

You offer a very valid point and I agree with you that the alternative of accepting fate and just not doing anything about it was the right call.

I mean they just didn't SEE the ballista coming, they didn't have enough time to properly react it nor a ways to cut distances in a short amount of time like a horse or a bow.

It got literally two shots off before being burned to cinders and smashed to gently caress. And the first shot doesn't even count because no-one knew what it was, or that it was even there before then. And the second shot happens while Drogon is already flying in to burninate the thing.

Not to mention that a (presumably bloodrider level) Dothraki dude tried hunting down Bronn just before that, following him through the battlefield, and got scorpioned to a wagon. Everyone else is kinda busy dealing with LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE HAPPENING ALL AROUND THEM. They are surrounded by fire, smoke, noise, angry dudes trying to actively kill them. 99% of the of people on the battlefield do not know about the scorpion's existence, and the tiny proportion who might have seen it wouldn't give AF because it's not a thing trying to kill them so its someone else's problem.

There are many complaints that can be made about this show, and even this episode, but not reacting fast enough or efficiently enough to an unveiled secret weapon crewed by a main character with probable plot armour isn't one of them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's perfectly logical that Brienne was holding back, and she was visibly concerned for Arya's safety in the scene, but I gotsta bitch.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Parkingtigers posted:

There are many complaints that can be made about this show, and even this episode, but not reacting fast enough or efficiently enough to an unveiled secret weapon crewed by a main character with probable plot armour isn't one of them.

I'm not complaining, I really liked this episode. I'm just pointing out there is no danger on riding a dragon even with the scorpions, and specially now that they know of their existence. The surprise effect might have taken one down, but now they can easily plan around them.

Dragons are just that OP and the only thing that can be threatening to them is another dragon, magic, or Daenerys being a complete twat.

And apparently two of these things lead to the third thing in this season's finale

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm not complaining, I really liked this episode. I'm just pointing out there is no danger on riding a dragon even with the scorpions, and specially now that they know of their existence. The surprise effect might have taken one down, but now they can easily plan around them.

Dragons are just that OP and the only thing that can be threatening to them is another dragon, magic, or Daenerys being a complete twat.

And apparently two of these things lead to the third thing in this season's finale

I am curious how the White Walkers will manage to kill one. They don't even use bows that we've seen and certainly not scorpions.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I am curious how the White Walkers will manage to kill one. They don't even use bows that we've seen and certainly not scorpions.

Night King ice lances it. Like. A. Boss.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ginette Reno posted:

The wight giants will absolutely be using bows. It's the only real point to introducing them.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtnnWfpWJGo

It's definitely this. Please let it be this. Go full anime GoT

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 8, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

grack posted:

Let's be fair here - Brienne is one of the very best fighters around. I mean poo poo, she beat both The Hound and Jaime in single combat. The fact that Arya is able to fight her to a draw is impressive.

Now that Barristan Selmy, Arthur Dayne, and Jaime are dead or disabled she might be the actual best fighter in Westeros.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

JBP posted:

I just figure if Arya can masquerade as a fully grown old man she might as well have mysterious fighting prowess.

Yeah. She's got ninjutsu. It's fine.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Ginette Reno posted:

Magic ice spear from the night king apparently.

lezard_valeth posted:

Not really. Now both sides know there is a thing that can hurt and possibly kill the dragons. Becomes a numbers and tactics game from then on. Easier to field an army when you tell the screen of troops that they won't get burned to a crisp because the 20+ scorpions they've just rush-built will batter the dragon flying in to kill them. Bronn got a hit because he's... well, Bronn. Put enough of those machines on the field and it really just is a case of filling the sky with bolts and those 3 dragons wouldn't last long. All the army has to do is make sure the Dothraki/Unsullied don't get to the AA guns before they've had a chance to down at least one dragon.

Not that this is the path they story is going to take, because yeah losing 1 stupidly to zombies is on the cards. I legit would have liked to have seen a cautious stalemate in the throne battle happen after trying to attack King's Landing and losing a dragon to these weapons first. It would have been interesting to do a "oh hey, I have three dragons gimme my 7 kingdoms" suddenly being cut off at the knees because they turn out to not be to total win button Dany thought it would be.

But I guess zombie dragon will also be a great leveller, but it does involve that whole stupidity thing to set it up.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is heartbreaking.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Presumably the dragon and pilot could just out flank and out range stationary ballistas

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Out flank? This one pivoted.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Nah, the scorpion already been shown to outrange dragonfire.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arya had several training montages, storywise she could forge valyrian steel and it could still be handwaves away.

Heck, I think we're supposed to assume that she brewed the poison she used to annihilate the Freys, she also had a poison training montage after all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Nah, the scorpion already been shown to outrange dragonfire.

Did I miss a line from the episode? Why is everyone calling the ballista a scorpion?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Isn't episode 6 supposed to be the one with the big expedition where Viserion gets killed? Why's episode 5 called Eastwatch instead

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Did I miss a line from the episode? Why is everyone calling the ballista a scorpion?

Jaime called it "Qyburn's scorpion".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Item Getter posted:

Isn't episode 6 supposed to be the one with the big expedition where Viserion gets killed? Why's episode 5 called Eastwatch instead

Because the fellowship will be at Eastwatch in episode 5 and in the North in episode 6.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Now that Barristan Selmy, Arthur Dayne, and Jaime are dead or disabled she might be the actual best fighter in Westeros.

The robot Mountain is pretty good.

Parkingtigers posted:

Magic ice spear from the night king apparently.

Not really. Now both sides know there is a thing that can hurt and possibly kill the dragons. Becomes a numbers and tactics game from then on. Easier to field an army when you tell the screen of troops that they won't get burned to a crisp because the 20+ scorpions they've just rush-built will batter the dragon flying in to kill them.

In Westerosi time the Lannisters will have built a battery of ten thousand scorpions armed with a newly researched synthetic dragon glass by the time Jaime swims to shore.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Romans called a ballista a scorpion/scorpio.

e: I think they were small field things rather than a big honking ballista though?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JBP posted:

The Romans called a ballista a scorpion/scorpio.

e: I think they were small field things rather than a big honking ballista though?

I figure that's the point. Qyburn made a big honking scorpion that's overkill for killing armored dudes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can I get another link to the next three episode summaries?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Can someone remind me real quick, when Tyrion got let out of jail by Jaime in the show did he do the "yeah I killed your son it loving ruled" speech to piss him off? I'm wondering if Jaime hearing a confession from Olenna made him rethink things at all but I feel like the show skipped it for some dumb reason.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

Can someone remind me real quick, when Tyrion got let out of jail by Jaime in the show did he do the "yeah I killed your son it loving ruled" speech to piss him off? I'm wondering if Jaime hearing a confession from Olenna made him rethink things at all but I feel like the show skipped it for some dumb reason.

Nah, in the show the whole bit with Tysha not actually being a whore is omitted so Jaime and Tyrion part on amicable terms, they hug and Tyrion says "thank you" and that's it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Krinkle posted:

I feel like the repercussions of that Olenna chat will come up when they dredge up Jaime from the bottom of the river. The look of Tyrion watching his brother charge the dragon was probably meant to be more meaningful as well, but the whole thing was so balls to the wall I can't recall if Tyrion said something like "no don't do that you idiot" when Jaime charged or not.

Knowing Tyrion he was being spiteful about the murder in the past and was pretty angry at everyone.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The whole thing with Tysha is one of the legit most heartbreaking thing from the books, it's probably good that they didn't try to adapt it in the show.

JBP posted:

The look of Tyrion watching his brother charge the dragon was probably meant to be more meaningful as well, but the whole thing was so balls to the wall I can't recall if Tyrion said something like "no don't do that you idiot" when Jaime charged or not.

He kept muttering "turn away, you loving idiot".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's too dependent on internal monologues to be effective.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Isn't Tysha in that bordello in Braavos? Or its implied, or an easter egg or something.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Collateral posted:

Isn't Tysha in that bordello in Braavos? Or its implied, or an easter egg or something.

It's just one of the million "person x is secretly person y" fan theories.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ginette Reno posted:

Jaime is my favorite character in the books and show but poor dude is clearly gonna die either in the process of killing Cersei or not much after.

Same, my biggest worry is that he would suck all the heroic Jon oxygen out of them room if he survives any longer.

I'm surprised and a bit impressed at how they didn't sanitise Dany riding the hellbeast in and burning all those people alive.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

JBP posted:

I feel like the repercussions of that Olenna chat will come up when they dredge up Jaime from the bottom of the river. The look of Tyrion watching his brother charge the dragon was probably meant to be more meaningful as well, but the whole thing was so balls to the wall I can't recall if Tyrion said something like "no don't do that you idiot" when Jaime charged or not.

Knowing Tyrion he was being spiteful about the murder in the past and was pretty angry at everyone.

It was pretty drat clear that Tyrion felt really lovely about the battle and was why he wanted to limit the use of dragons as much as possible. Last thing he wants to do is let Jaime get roasted.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Parkingtigers posted:

Not really. Now both sides know there is a thing that can hurt and possibly kill the dragons. Becomes a numbers and tactics game from then on. Easier to field an army when you tell the screen of troops that they won't get burned to a crisp because the 20+ scorpions they've just rush-built will batter the dragon flying in to kill them. Bronn got a hit because he's... well, Bronn. Put enough of those machines on the field and it really just is a case of filling the sky with bolts and those 3 dragons wouldn't last long. All the army has to do is make sure the Dothraki/Unsullied don't get to the AA guns before they've had a chance to down at least one dragon.

I know this is a fictional show only loosely based on medieval lore, but building scorpion-like devices is not a trivial thing prior to industrialization. We are talking artisans, blacksmiths, and a lot of tweaking. Fielding hundreds of the devices seems fanciful and then you hit the more goofy reality. Hitting fast moving flying targets is not easy. If you want an interesting exercise look how many AA shells on average it took to take down an allied plane over Germany a lot. Yeah the planes are higher and faster, but we are talking about coordinated AA batteries with radar and simple computers even. With a force that is basically at best using lovely iron sights I could only imagine how frustrating it would be trying to take just one dragon down, let alone three.

Mind you none of that matters because we are talking about a show with loving dragons and zombies, but just to nerd out a bit. They could invent a homing spear for all I know.

Also, after this battle I doubt anyone in Kings landing would have much stomach for a fight against dragonlady. Seriously, stories of HUNDREDS of people being horribly burned alive would annihilate morale. Oh we have some loving giant crossbows, can't wait to be burned alive hoping I score a 1/10,000 shot on a huge pissed off firebreathing machine that moves god knows how fast.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

unlawfulsoup posted:

I know this is a fictional show only loosely based on medieval lore, but building scorpion-like devices is not a trivial thing prior to industrialization. We are talking artisans, blacksmiths, and a lot of tweaking.

This is the show that built a "thousand" ships for Euron in short order. 20 scorpions isn't really a big deal. Now, finding 20 Good Men to fire them...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I doubt it's that hard to hit a dragon

I bet I could do it

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Pshaw, I've killed lots of dragons in Skyrim.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm gonna be real fuckin pissed when it turns out Bran is the Night King.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lloyd Boner posted:

It was pretty drat clear that Tyrion felt really lovely about the battle and was why he wanted to limit the use of dragons as much as possible. Last thing he wants to do is let Jaime get roasted.

Yeah, I was talking about their previous arguments at the end. I thought Tyrions concerned face was for Dany as well since it often cut from her doing things (not just burning but evading arrows and being shot down). He also told her not to risk going in herself.

Do you think Tyrion is more loyal to Dany or his brother? I don't know so I'm just asking out of curiosity as to why people think he is doing certain things. Trying to protect Jaime or to protect Dany. Both? What's his outcome?

E: does him hating Cersei carry over to Jaime a bit/a lot now?

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The night king is just some guy called Hank

• Locked thread