Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I spent a shameful amount of time wondering what the hell "Deflator Mouse" was supposed to mean as a character name. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

prefect posted:

I spent a shameful amount of time wondering what the hell "Deflator Mouse" was supposed to mean as a character name. :blush:

:roflolmao: Brilliant.

:eng101: "Fledermaus" is composed of an Old High German word meaning "flapping", and indeed "mouse".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dave Syndrome posted:

It simly means "Bat", but to my German ears it sounds like "Leder" (leather) and "Lappen" (an old cloth used for cleaning).

The Chamois!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

:eng101: "Fledermaus" is composed of an Old High German word meaning "flapping", and indeed "mouse".
This is a spectacularly German sentence.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Dave Syndrome posted:

prefect posted:

This has gone over my head for the last 20+ years :psyduck:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

This has gone over my head for the last 20+ years :psyduck:

Why don't you explain it to the rest of the forums, so we can make sure that you get it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

This is reminding me of Axis Amerika from Young All-Stars, which was basically an Axis-ified version of the Justice League. Their Batman figure (at right) was called Die Grosshorn Eule ("The Great Horned Owl," if you believe Roy Thomas) and his Robin was Die Fledermaus, which is a bit on the nose.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You have a giant bald man in blue with a red cross and swastika emblem on his chest giving the heil hitler salute with a neon-green valkyrie wearing waffle-armor to his left and a literal wolf-man wearing a swastika belt to his right, but "Die Fledermaus" is too screaming obvious?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TwoPair posted:

Frankly I'm more distracted by Stan Lee (at least, I'm assuming that's him writing that blurb on the cover, sure sounds like him) calling a new villain a prize pussycat. Was that ever a thing people were called?

It's completely believable if you imagine Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin saying it, so I'm gonna say yes.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
"Läderlappen" literally means leather patch, but it's also the Swedish name of a bat species, as well as the Swedish title of Die Fledermaus.

The are other early Swedish translations of superhero names that come off as super cheesy to a modern Swedish listener, such as literal translations of Wolverine ("Järven") and Cyclops ("Cyklopen"). But I have two favourites in particular. First is the X-Men, which became "X-en", i.e. "the X's" -- today the word "ex" is widely used for a previous partner in Swedish as well, but I'm guessing it wasn't at the time of translation? Today, it reads like they are the ex-girlfriends and -boyfriends, hated and feared by everyone around then.

My other favourite is Wasp. The insect is called "geting" in Swedish, which as far as I know doesn't have any relation to the word "get", meaning goat. However, they decided to call her "Get-Inga" -- Inga being a Swedish name, of course. In one sense it's a great pun, but on the other hand it's as if they called her "Goat-Margret". I don't even know whether they translated (Janet van Dyne) into Inga, or if the name part was just a made-up moniker!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

Frankly I'm more distracted by Stan Lee (at least, I'm assuming that's him writing that blurb on the cover, sure sounds like him) calling a new villain a prize pussycat. Was that ever a thing people were called?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga3I5DTIA-E

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSlV_NYt80&t=185s :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A reminder that Stan Lee looked this greasy right up until the mid-90s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJpAXf5wyk

I say this with affection. The dude would have totally said "prize pussycat" with sincerity.

Also he talks about having "One More Day" with a special girl he lost in this clip 13 years before OMD :tinfoil: God Mallrats is poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yeah but in the context of calling a supervillain a pussycat? (That is, unless they are cat-themed, in which case it is more than acceptable)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SilverSupernova posted:

drat right he does.

What are these from?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dave Syndrome posted:

There is also an opera called Die Fledermaus, which is about a man who thinks he is a Bat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Fledermaus

Really the best part of the Tick was how the Batman type was called Die Fledermaus.
I mean Batmanuel (the name used on the Live Action Tick Show) was a great name, but Die Fledermaus was better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

10 Beers posted:

What are these from?

Mini Marvels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

prefect posted:

I did the same for The Tick cartoon. Never parsed it right until I saw it written down (which is how parsing errors tend to go).

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 6, 2017

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Does anyone have the panels where Optimus Prime tears his own head off and tosses it away?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The Question IRL posted:

There is also an opera called Die Fledermaus,

Operetta, which is essentially an opera with dialogue between the singing and more comedy than drama.

The Question IRL posted:

which is about a man who thinks he is a Bat.

Um. Not even remotely.

EDIT: Have some pictures to make up for the smart-arsery. I used to have a complete folder of dozens of "Something Awful"s popping up in comic dialogue, but that computer died a few years ago. I need to see if I can find the hard disk...

EDIT 2: Found some more, from old Star Wars comics (mostly Dark Empire), but the main collection is gone. drat.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 7, 2017

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dave Syndrome posted:

Um. Not even remotely.

Ra-ra-ra-ra-Rache wollen Sie!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The panel from Ex Machina made me think there's a panel in Runaways where Something Awful gets used as well. Not that I think BKV is a goon or anything, just reminded me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm saving that one for when I need an avatar tagline somewhere down the road. It's beautiful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

The panel from Ex Machina made me think there's a panel in Runaways where Something Awful gets used as well. Not that I think BKV is a goon or anything, just reminded me.

There was rampant speculation that he was a goon for a long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/AndriErlingsson/status/894071882701524992

No idea on source, really hope it's not a fake.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, Bettie and Veronica from Archie declaring their romantic attraction towards each other with obviously edited-in typeface is totally real.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 7, 2017

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Selachian posted:

This is reminding me of Axis Amerika from Young All-Stars, which was basically an Axis-ified version of the Justice League. Their Batman figure (at right) was called Die Grosshorn Eule ("The Great Horned Owl," if you believe Roy Thomas) and his Robin was Die Fledermaus, which is a bit on the nose.

What's with DC and their weird take on the swastika? Like here, the four arms start off long and then angle off and end short.

I may be imagining things, but I feel like I've seen that repeated in other DC comics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What's with DC and their weird take on the swastika? Like here, the four arms start off long and then angle off and end short.

I may be imagining things, but I feel like I've seen that repeated in other DC comics.
Might could be to let them release their stuff in Germany and other markets? I mean, it's obvious that it's a cartoon bad guy from the Nazi Dimension, but they're pretty strict about using Nazi iconography outside of historical setting fiction.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Selachian posted:

I have to say, 1960s Dutch publishers were pretty crappy at coming up with logos.

It looks like the art was recolored as well. I guess Marvel just sent over copies of the original b&w pages.

I used to have a massive pile of dutch Donald Duck magazines from the 50s up until the 2000s.
The lettering and coloring on the translated comics in those is horrible. It gets a lot better when they start producing their own content and as time goes on.

I was aware of Hulk as Bonk and Spinneman (that latter one survived until the 70s irrc), but never actually read a page.
They used to translate the titles of tv-shows as well, but didn't dub them, that was weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/AndriErlingsson/status/894071882701524992

No idea on source, really hope it's not a fake.

That's faker than Trump's tan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Next you'll tell me Archie didn't actually have to beat off all those guys.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Selachian posted:

poor die Fledermaus appears to have had a hole shot through his chest

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Next you'll tell me Archie didn't actually have to beat off all those guys.

No, that one's real.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Superduperdickery (way back from MAD #4)

(Eat it, ya Big Red Cheese!)

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

KAPWEENG!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That's a not-terrible Superman story, too.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
OX, power of
OX, power of another

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art in that is lovely. Ridiculously expressive and a joke in every pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's that entire era of Mad magazine