Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

So, what are the chances that Fox News doesn't can this perverted gently caress?

How many women did he send pictures of his dick to? It took a minivan's worth of accusers, $10+ million in hush money, and him becoming financially toxic to them for Fox to finally gun O'Reilly. I think, sadly, Bolling is safe, especially after Fox made a show of circling the wagons around both Sean Hannity and Jesse Watters when women came forward accusing them of sexual harassment.

He'll forever be the Dick Pics Guy at Fox, just like Hannity is the Conspiracy Guy, and Watters is the Stalker Guy, but Fox will just grin and bear it because the company is a clawing mass of ghouls from top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

That's a response to Chelsea Clinton saying "hope you enjoy Six Flags, I went there as a child" in response to this tweet:
https://twitter.com/scottisbell_/status/894659232548749313

I don't get it, honestly. Is this some advanceed irony levels of owns or what

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think it might be that Chelsea Clinton has somewhat prominent central incisors, and people on the internet are dicks.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Oh, I thought Chelsea=Bugs Bunny is a meme thing, like maybe Bugs is a hated figure or something, or maybe it's a slang, or some form of insider joke for alt-rights.

Turns out it's just mocking a woman's looks. Cool cool cool cool

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/LarryOConnor/status/894643416943996930

quote:

What is not amusing is that these critics failed to raise the red flag of propaganda when Trump’s predecessor used American tax dollars to present himself with well-produced
(and pretty expensive) videos that come a lot closer to bona fide propaganda than the Trump/Pence reelection videos they’re complaining about.

Sooo Obama's propaganda had better production value than Trump's? Shock of the century right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Rush Limbaugh has a weird beef with Game Of Thrones recappers.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rush-limbaugh-has-weird-beef-game-thrones-recapper-259149

I've read it twice and still can't figure out what his problem is.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Root has amazing recaps.

quote:

For three weeks, we have preached about how Game of Thrones teaches us everything we need to know about white America. So, this week, you might expect us to joke about how Sansa should’ve cooked for Bran when he came home from that long road trip, or how Euron Greyjoy is turning into Anthony Scaramucci. I bet you just knew we would have an extended discussion about the scene where the official from the Iron Bank lamented how its investments in the slave trade were doing poorly.

Instead, this week, the Game of Thrones writers created an episode that spoke in coded language, dropping jewels only black people could pick up. While there are too many to name, here are the major keys dropped by episode 3 of this season of Game of Thrones:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've never seen GoT and don't know poo poo about it but this seems like another point in the conservative republican trend of starting with a conclusion and working backwards from there; similar to Rush's stupid MNF Donovan McNabb bullshit. or how wildfires are the fault of conservationists Conservatives seem to have a tendency to force feed anything through a predetermined lens.

Like in every comments section, doesn't matter what the story is or how unrelated to politics it is. "Tornados Touch Down in Kansas", "Wheel of Fortune Contestant Fails Terribly", "Whale Slams Into Boat", or "Turbulence on Airline Flight Injures Five" are always framed inside of 5 or 10 posts with something about liberals, Al Gore, Obama or whatever.

My Dad made a good joke once. We were watching coverage of a hurricane on FOX and I said "how long before they blame the storm on Obama?" He said, "well it's blowing the from left, isn't it?"

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I sometimes like to hate listen to Hannity on my evening commute and I've noticed he says the phrase "we need to recognize that there is evil in our time" every so often. Like, what does that mean? Is he implying there is this contingency of people that aren't able to recognize "evil" things for political reasons?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Javes posted:

I sometimes like to hate listen to Hannity on my evening commute and I've noticed he says the phrase "we need to recognize that there is evil in our time" every so often. Like, what does that mean? Is he implying there is this contingency of people that aren't able to recognize "evil" things for political reasons?

yeah, it's just cult team building. you, my good cool and smart listeners, are the only ones brave and perceptive enough to recognize there is evil in the world, unlike all of the coward stupid liberals etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Javes posted:

boner confessor posted:

yeah, it's just cult team building. you, my good cool and smart listeners, are the only ones brave and perceptive enough to recognize there is evil in the world, unlike all of the coward stupid liberals etc.

It's a shot at the "PC" crowd who doesn't want to nuke very muslim on earth and a dig about how liberals are "soft" or whatever. As if "evil" hasn't always existed. Basically, it's an appeal to authoritarianism, fear and punitive approaches to every problem ever.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

boner confessor posted:

It also follows Fundamentalist logic, in that everyone who doesn't agree with you is either stupid or evil. Anyone with strong leftist views that they won't back down from, then, aren't just people who disagree with you - they're knowingly, mustache twirling villains, who will stop at nothing to take down True America.

It's not just enough to say "we think the other side is wrong" in the current RWM sphere, you need to portray it as a Good vs Evil battle. Early Glenn Beck at least made a token effort at portraying liberals as well-meaning but misguided, but he quickly realized that people just wanted him to write the word "SOROS" on a chalkboard every night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just going to assume Rush likes watching Game of Thrones for all the :black101: war and killing and then laughs at the recaps that are all "SJW" talking about how dark and hosed up all the rape and tragedy and nihilism are. Then he's mocking that the millennials think its real because like they "care" about someone being raped or something when its just fake characters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just going to assume Rush likes watching Game of Thrones for all the :black101: war and killing and then laughs at the recaps that are all "SJW" talking about how dark and hosed up all the rape and tragedy and nihilism are. Then he's mocking that the millennials think its real because like they "care" about someone being raped or something when its just fake characters.

But if you make a black Batman or Captain America, or put Wonder Woman in respectable pants than AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGHHHH!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

As someone who's never seen GoT, in what way is it indicative of liberal bias and a threat to conservatism? I know these are the same people who see left wing PC undercurrents in Disney movies and think that Bane was a shot at Romney and poo poo like that but what specifically is he loving talking about here?

On second thought, never mind. I'm sure it's ridiculous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a show about people living in a horrific medieval world where deranged rulers murder people in the hundreds and thousands for power and people sell their daughters and rape their wives and beat their peasants and just generally treat everyone like poo poo. And it loves to show stories where good guys lose and get crushed by the more ruthless bad guys.

The last episode had a line where one of the good guy characters said to another one of the good guy characters that "People just want to believe that you're better than the poo poo they've always known." That's pretty much GoT in a nutshell.

Like I said, I imagine people like Rush just really love all the war and palace intrigue and action stuff and mock people who react negatively to the relentless cruelty and torture. I assume that's why Rush has that weird "they think its real" thing. Because if you recognize a character isn't a real person you don't have to feel compassion or bother that they're being raped, abused, and tortured.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

BiggerBoat posted:

As someone who's never seen GoT, in what way is it indicative of liberal bias and a threat to conservatism? I know these are the same people who see left wing PC undercurrents in Disney movies and think that Bane was a shot at Romney and poo poo like that but what specifically is he loving talking about here?

On second thought, never mind. I'm sure it's ridiculous.

Things I can think of are:

1. Traditional mores are being upended - 3 actresses are in prominent leadership roles (Sansa, Cersei, Lyanna). Westeros is a very middle age place where women are bartered off to maintain alliances.
2. Hereditary dynasties are dismissed as needed and invoked as needed.
3. The natural world is seen as magical when it's just science. A lot of suspicion of those that just know poo poo.
4. The brown menace just landed on their shores - Mongol hordes and eunuch slave warriors. During the second episode Cersei called them everything except niggers.

I take what Michael Harriott says with a grain of salt but he does make some interesting points about GoT's story.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

the game of thrones book series gained notability because it depicted a "realistic" medieval fantasy world with gritty violence, assault etc. as well as morally grey depictions of the ruling classes as heartless manipulators and sometimes blatantly stupid. it depicts people as having human motivations and flaws, and major characters die with regularity because they don't have 'plot armor' and their deaths or injuries are treated as natural consequences of the story, not as things which must or must not happen due to the demands of the narrative. so it's not at all a typical good versus evil morality tale and this could be confusing for people who view the world in absolutist terms

oh yeah and as mentioned above the main area where GoT takes place is basically england/western europe and it's being invaded by what amounts to mongols and the other, duskier peoples of the eastern continent which is very much a representation of asia

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 8, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It just got off successfully due to being one of the first to just completely rip-off history and depict medieval politik as it actually was and would be in that setting.There was a hunger for those kinds of stories and GoT filled it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its a show about people living in a horrific medieval world where deranged rulers murder people in the hundreds and thousands for power and people sell their daughters and rape their wives and beat their peasants and just generally treat everyone like poo poo. And it loves to show stories where good guys lose and get crushed by the more ruthless bad guys.

So conservative free market capitalism, the crusades and imperialism then. Then what's his problem with it? That sounds about right for Rush's world view. Unless, I assume, it's that the "good guys" are the conservative christian types or whatever and the "ruthless bad guys" are the muslim hordes or the lawless blacks who are not following law and order.

What a weird tangent for Rush to go off on, even for him. Like I said, I've never seen the show but I have heard Rush so I naturally assume that whatever he's going on about is a stretch by any measure and some sort of strange projection, like the MNF diatribe.

Projection seems to be the order of the day lately (exhibit A: Trump's tweets) and I'm struggling rather mightily with it. It's been coming up a lot, politically as well as in my personal and family life for some reason. Probably because everything is hosed and no one is sure who to blame, but I'm unsure how to combat it.

poo poo, maybe I'm guilty of it and utterly oblivious to it like everyone else.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

So conservative free market capitalism, the crusades and imperialism then. Then what's his problem with it?

it's popular and his audience is cranky reactionaries so he needs to talk about how popular thing is actually bad and a millenial/liberal plot to ruin american masculinity, furthermore :rant:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, the "good guys" are often women and bastards and people who get poo poo on and who want to end slavery and people who find the entire structure rotten and want to make the world a better place. And they consistently work with all the foreigners and "lesser thans" who are the rich white people call animals and savages.

But if I read that article right Rush's problem isn't the show, its the recaps of it. So its people who talk about the misogyny and violence and nihilism and cruelty and bigotry and racism and everything else. He's probably watching Game of Thrones for amazing scenes of people loving up other people's poo poo and ruthless monsters crushing their enemies. He thinks its laughable that some people are watching for the weak willed "good guys" who want to free people and give them better lives and react badly to the cruelty and horrors of their rulers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

He thinks its laughable that some people are watching for the weak willed "good guys" who want to free people and give them better lives and react badly to the cruelty and horrors of their rulers.

ehh khaleesi has a lot of problems herself, her heart's in the right place but she still comes from a place of enormous privilege (doesn't help she's legit magical and the Chosen One) and she doesn't want to topple feudalism, she just wants to be the enlightened dictator on top of the pile despite her dynasty having a very troubling past

i think part of the point is that there are no good guys, not even "good guys"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Varys is the only good guy and history will treat him as such. Well him and Missandei.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

No, the "good guys" are often women and bastards and people who get poo poo on and who want to end slavery and people who find the entire structure rotten and want to make the world a better place. And they consistently work with all the foreigners and "lesser thans" who are the rich white people call animals and savages.

But if I read that article right
Rush's problem isn't the show, its the recaps of it. So its people who talk about the misogyny and violence and nihilism and cruelty and bigotry and racism and everything else. He's probably watching Game of Thrones for amazing scenes of people loving up other people's poo poo and ruthless monsters crushing their enemies. He thinks its laughable that some people are watching for the weak willed "good guys" who want to free people and give them better lives and react badly to the cruelty and horrors of their rulers.

This checks out then and confirms what I thought. In short, the people who are oppressed lack bootstraps and want the ruling government to save them (or at least stop crushing them) while rich slave owners grind their existence into dust?

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble "reading the article right" at least cause I'm still not sure WTF he is on about and assumed it was because I never saw the show.

Also, for once, we're gonna have a derail that actually relates to the subject so bring on the GoT posts!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

boner confessor posted:

ehh khaleesi has a lot of problems herself, her heart's in the right place but she still comes from a place of enormous privilege (doesn't help she's legit magical and the Chosen One) and she doesn't want to topple feudalism, she just wants to be the enlightened dictator on top of the pile despite her dynasty having a very troubling past

i think part of the point is that there are no good guys, not even "good guys"

Sure. Game of Thrones is all basically about how people are flawed and no one's really all good or all bad.

I was just going in a vague sense in that there's a "side" that wants to free slaves, help desperate refuges from other places, and generally treat people better and there's a "side" that just sees everyone as pawns and slaughters innocents ruthlessly. Obviously its more complicated than that, though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble "reading the article right" at least cause I'm still not sure WTF he is on about and assumed it was because I never saw the show.

his argument is totally incoherent because he's basically kneejerk reacting to other people's hot takes on game of thrones which run the spectrum from insightful to goofy clickbait. he's effectively just whining about millenials having opinions on the internet

Push El Burrito posted:

Varys is the only good guy and history will treat him as such. Well him and Missandei.

yeah varys is the only good guy and he has attempted to poison or has poisoned multiple children

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If Varys decided those children needed to be poisoned I'm sure they had it coming for one reason or the other.

For the good of Westeros.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ugh i just checked with my friend who is a scholar of westerosi lore and was wrong about varys poisoning children, that was littlefinger >_<

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Does one side smoke weed or stand up to authority in any form and demand certain basic rights related to food, justice, air, water and not being killed or imprisoned? Because I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that those things, and those that sympathize with those characters, are the gist of the "problem" here.

Assuming there is one. Which I'm certain there isn't.

It's a loving TV show you fat, know nothing rear end in a top hat and everything doesn't have to be filtered through your oxy tinted lenses, nor is everything about you or your "cause" and some sort of liberal indoctrination conspiracy to meld minds.

This sort of bullshit dates back quite a while; to Ally McBeal, Maude, All in the Family, Soap, Murphy Brown, NYPD Blue even Mary Tyler Moore...anyone remember the poo poo they took? Everything is a loving threat and a counter message to these insufferable whiny pussies. Time was their main gripes were only about nudity, language, someone being gay or a successful single mom but now I guess we're getting into social dynamics and power structures.

What I'm saying is "gently caress Rush Limbaugh and I do not like him".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

his argument is totally incoherent because he's basically kneejerk reacting to other people's hot takes on game of thrones which run the spectrum from insightful to goofy clickbait. he's effectively just whining about millenials having opinions on the internet

We should buy Rush, Sean and O'Reilly accounts.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Why has Drudge gone all black and white? They haven't run a color photo on the main page in like three days. Have they finally adopted something like a style guide?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Glenn Beck called Google's firing of the employee that wrote the ten page rant "corporate fascism." I'm not really sure what this means in the context of the right wing. Well, okay, I know it means "A corporation fired someone for being a sexist/racist/lgbt-phobic shithead conservative" but I don't know what the phrase itself means. Doesn't the right-wing want corporations to be able to hire/fire employees at will? Aren't they against government regulation of corporations or worker protections? It just confuses me because the only real way to prevent this situation is to either have more laws passed prohibiting corporations from firing employees for particular reasons (which they wouldn't want), or for workers to have greater rights through say, forming unions and such (which they DEFINITELY wouldn't want).

At any rate, have this garbage from Forbes, Give Back? Yes, It's Time For The 99% To Give Back To The 1%

quote:

Here's a modest proposal. Anyone who earns a million dollars or more should be exempt from all income taxes. Yes, it's too little. And the real issue is not financial, but moral. So to augment the tax-exemption, in an annual public ceremony, the year's top earner should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Imagine the effect on our culture, particularly on the young, if the kind of fame and adulation bathing Lady Gaga attached to the more notable achievements of say, Warren Buffett. Or if the moral praise showered on Mother Teresa went to someone like Lloyd Blankfein, who, in guiding Goldman Sachs toward billions in profits, has done infinitely more for mankind.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Eating the rich is too good for them; burn them in a coal plant.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I open the article and see this:

Well then

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Hilariously, dilbertman himself made a half decent comic about how stupid it is to view the wealthy as role models. I'm sure he's forgotten by now, but I'll always remember:

"Beware the advice of successful people; they do not seek company."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
That oped is insane. It's also 4 years old. Why are we dragging it out?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Hilariously, dilbertman himself made a half decent comic about how stupid it is to view the wealthy as role models. I'm sure he's forgotten by now, but I'll always remember:

"Beware the advice of successful people; they do not seek company."

Wasn't there another one where he basically said that a lot of it amounted to luck.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grind him up to feed cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

Grind him up to feed cats.

I'm pretty sure cats would write Forbes editorials if they could be bothered.

Source: I have two cats.