Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

lovely Wizard posted:

I'm not mad, I posted that I thought episode was bad because big ol monologues/soapboxes by writers who want to add some inner deepness to funny cartoon scientist is not good writing.

Some other people agreed, and we all got called neckbeards, autists, sociopaths, etc by some shitposters.

I then formulated a post and a TLDR designed to preemptively quash the two main arguments of the main shitposters in this thread.

The two "big ol" monologues took about 20 seconds each of a 23 minute show that spent five minutes featuring a pickle messily killing various mammals. Morty spent about as long talking himself into and out of prodding a fruit on a workbench with a screwdriver. There were about six or seven roughly equal amounts of one-sided dialog this episode and every other episode.

Maybe you being so upset about that 40 seconds in a 23 minute long episode says more about you then the show itself? It seems like you just have issues with the concept of therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Great episode. Better than last week, but not as good as the season premiere.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

dtkozl posted:

And just for the record you people can stop trying to put words in my mouth and then arguing against that.
This is called strawman argument, fyi.

fishing with the fam posted:

Great episode. Better than last week, but not as good as the season premiere.
:agreed:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The give him a literal call to adventure, he refuses to answer.

I dig it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I literally cannot understand someone finding last week's episode more enjoyable than this week's unless they are absolutely terrified/incapable of introspection.

How much I like an episode of Rick and Morty is directly proportional to how much Summer is in the episode, and Rickmancing the Stone had a lot of Summer.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

How much I like an episode of Rick and Morty is directly proportional to how much Summer is in the episode, and Rickmancing the Stone had a lot of Summer.
Answer truthfully: Are you masturbating to summer? Also check out my av, it looks kinda like pickle rick.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kromlech posted:

Answer truthfully: Are you masturbating to summer? Also check out my av, it looks kinda like pickle rick.

i don't masturbate to cartoons but i have noticed they've really sexualized her this season (even this ep had her dressed up a bit)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
it's a little odd harmon has the ongoing theme of 16 year olds banging old dudes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rick was definitely just blowing smoke when he apologized to Beth.

It resembles an abusive relationship. He'll say what he needs to to keep her around.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

maskenfreiheit posted:

i don't masturbate to cartoons but i have noticed they've really sexualized her this season (even this ep had her dressed up a bit)

??? You mean the fact that shes wearing tights? I mean tights horn me up too but I wouldnt say that someone wearing something you find attractive is sexualizing them

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SickZip posted:

Take a Peter Griffith Vs Giant Chicken fight, add some more gore, and you have something of equal merit to 80% of this episode.

I can't imagine how broken of a human you have to be to post something like this

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's a little odd harmon has the ongoing theme of 16 year olds banging old dudes

She was 17 to start with and is 18 now. This may be shocking for goons but: teenagers have sex :ohdear: Y'all need to stop obsessing about this.

Burn this whole thread to the loving ground

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lovely Wizard posted:

I'm not mad, I posted that I thought episode was bad because big ol monologues/soapboxes by writers who want to add some inner deepness to funny cartoon scientist is not good writing.

Some other people agreed, and we all got called neckbeards, autists, sociopaths, etc by some shitposters.

I then formulated a post and a TLDR designed to preemptively quash the two main arguments of the main shitposters in this thread.

You are easily the biggest shitposter of this thread, make no mistake

Like just read the words in this quoted post, holy poo poo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This episode was fine. I liked it in that I like R&M, but I didn't think it was the best. It isn't bad though. I think I enjoyed last weeks more, but Pickle Rick has some substance after a lot of fluff which is often the case in this show.

I will enjoy more next week.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Honestly they really can't get lower than the Summer-in-Mr.Goldenfold's dream incest thing in the second episode of the show, that was gross.

Summer definitely gets all the best lines now though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

dtkozl posted:

This is a fantasy you created in your mind.

There was no character development in this episode. Rick and Beth decided to ignore the shrink, to never go back, and instead they are going drinking which is something both use to escape the realities of their disfunction. Rick is manipulating Beth by showing the bare minimum of attention to her so she will continue to do what Rick wants. He has been doing this stuff since the show started. IF there was development he would tell her to get back with Jerry but he didn't because it is Rick that wants Jerry gone, not Beth.

This is why this ep sucks. There was an A and B plot using emotion and violence as a bludgeon to beat home one single and obvious point sans jokes. If you did not know they were both lovely people after 2 seasons of ample evidence then I pity you.

And just for the record you people can stop trying to put words in my mouth and then arguing against that. I'm not saying that Rick has to be static. There can be development, he can give on a few points. I merely said he always has to be a manipulative rear end in a top hat at heart because that is the foundation of the show. Change that and you change the show into a new show.
I mean, it's not the most healthy way to take things, but the episode started with Rick and Beth arguing and ended with them really happy with each other. In between Rick killed a bunch of rats and Russians(?) and both of them listened to a therapist they couldn't stand.

I think it's pretty clear the therapist had an impact.

That's a development. It's not a fundamental change, but it's Rick trying, for the first time in a long time, to build something positive. Maybe in a lovely way ('cause he's still Rick), but that attempt is a major departure from his usual unending parade of selfish/alienating decisions. It's a selfish/bonding decision for once.

And I do apologize if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say. I got the impression you were arguing for a Cartman-esque stasis in his character, but I guess that's not the case. Personally I'm willing to see him go in whatever direction the story naturally takes him, but I think we can all see he hasn't gone that far from his initial premise in this episode at least.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

No poo poo, goddamn.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't imagine how broken of a human you have to be to post something like this

She was 17 to start with and is 18 now. This may be shocking for goons but: teenagers have sex :ohdear: Y'all need to stop obsessing about this.

Oh ok. I thought she was pre-driving (pre-16)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I disagree.

I think this was a Rick and Morty episode and NOT an episode of South Park or Family Guy.

To the goons who work on the show: seriously, amazing work. It looks amazing!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

ah ok i understand this actually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy moly

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

I mean, it's not the most healthy way to take things, but the episode started with Rick and Beth arguing and ended with them really happy with each other. In between Rick killed a bunch of rats and Russians(?) and both of them listened to a therapist they couldn't stand.

I think it's pretty clear the therapist had an impact.

That's a development. It's not a fundamental change, but it's Rick trying, for the first time in a long time, to build something positive. Maybe in a lovely way ('cause he's still Rick), but that attempt is a major departure from his usual unending parade of selfish/alienating decisions. It's a selfish/bonding decision for once.

And I do apologize if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say. I got the impression you were arguing for a Cartman-esque stasis in his character, but I guess that's not the case. Personally I'm willing to see him go in whatever direction the story naturally takes him, but I think we can all see he hasn't gone that far from his initial premise in this episode at least.
"We just got told how we're ruining our (grand)children with our bullshit, let's drop them off and get shitfaced" is not Rick trying to build something positive. It's escape, just like turning into a pickle.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"We just got told how we're ruining our (grand)children with our bullshit, let's drop them off and get shitfaced" is not Rick trying to build something positive. It's escape, just like turning into a pickle.

This is correct.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yea, I feel like people are ignoring Morty and Summer being all "Hey, we want the therapy, it was helping" and being completely ignored.

He didn't learn or grow at all, so everyone worried about that can relax.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I mean it is that, but doesn't it also relate to the things the therapist said about Rick making decisions that sabotage himself (like turning himself into a pickle instead of telling the truth to Beth), and have him making, in this one respect to the detriment of his grandkids, a more positive attempt at a relationship?

I dunno, enough people are implying that I'm way off base that I'm beginning to think I might be way off base with that. But it seems like things between Beth and Rick are better than they've been in a long time (in a potentially mutually destructive way).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Eiba posted:

I mean it is that, but doesn't it also relate to the things the therapist said about Rick making decisions that sabotage himself (like turning himself into a pickle instead of telling the truth to Beth), and have him making, in this one respect to the detriment of his grandkids, a more positive attempt at a relationship?

I dunno, enough people are implying that I'm way off base that I'm beginning to think I might be way off base with that. But it seems like things between Beth and Rick are better than they've been in a long time (in a potentially mutually destructive way).

Rick isn't suggesting he and Beth get drunk so they can repair their relationship. He's suggesting they get drunk so that 1) he gets drunk and 2) she doesn't take him to therapy again.

He's using her, not bonding with her.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plus Rick is supportive of anyone who got Jerry out of the house.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I thought it was kinda dull and unfunny.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Arist posted:

• The concept of telling jokes through pure visuals instead of setups and punchlines

This is why I watch Rick and Morty right here. Pickle Rick having a fuckoff huge laser cannon with a single AA battery serving as a mag, smoking ejection and all, was amazing.

I'm also in the "look who's purging now was way worse about gore" club.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just lol if you don't repair and strengthen your toxic relationships by getting brickfaced at Shoney's.

Morty and Summer are gonna be alright. :unsmith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're complaining that this episode had too much character work and not enough wacky funny science man being smarter than everyone else, you fundamentally misunderstand the show, and have been watching it wrong for two years. This stuff has ALWAYS been there below the surface. It's a bit more prevalent now, but the show has already spent two years doing an incredibly effective job of showing how a character like Rick would affect the people around him. I can kinda see the argument that the dual monologues are too on-the-nose, but in my opinion Dr. Wong's lengthy deconstruction of Rick just makes the final scene where he shrugs it off and manipulates Beth into doing the same even more effective.

If all you want to see is old science-y Eric Cartman completely own everyone around him then you're not in the right place and haven't been since 105 at LEAST

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If only Rick had a ladyfriend, this episode could've been something else entirely

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Eifert Posting posted:

The two "big ol" monologues took about 20 seconds each of a 23 minute show that spent five minutes featuring a pickle messily killing various mammals. Morty spent about as long talking himself into and out of prodding a fruit on a workbench with a screwdriver. There were about six or seven roughly equal amounts of one-sided dialog this episode and every other episode.

I don't think pickles are fruit. :spergin:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm Avacado Ricccckkkkk!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zaphod42 posted:

She was 17 to start with and is 18 now.

She's 47 in Federation years, in Galactic terms she's middleaged. :v:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
holy moley goons getting weird about summer who'd have loving guessed.

The 'ok but not because you told me too' thing was a good line you creepy assholes, you don't need to go into a projecting contest about how much she bones you up because someone is into her character getting a more central role.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Someone earlier mentioned how Harmon used to be very dismissive of psychologists, I am rewatching Community now and it kinda shines new light onto Britta's character.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I love Rick and Morty. I thought this weeks episode was amazing.

Why is this thread so terrible?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

It's in TV IV

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I actually forgot how awful threads like these can be in between episodes.

Which highlights why they should be locked in between episodes, barring important announcements.