Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He is interested in liquid nitrogen and liquid nitrogen accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

JaySB posted:

I'm gonna be real fuckin pissed when it turns out Bran is the Night King.

This is legit the ending I am hoping for. Bran has been useless and weird for ages, I need some kind of big payoff for that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

This is legit the ending I am hoping for. Bran has been useless and weird for ages, I need some kind of big payoff for that.

They're probably gonna pull that. And Aegon is probably gonna come back as part of The Golden Company. So we'll get some weird 3 headed dragon fulfillment.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

JaySB posted:

And Aegon is probably gonna come back as part of The Golden Company.

Huh? No way. If they do anything like that it'll be Gendry, not Aegon.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Gendry is currently making a big hammer in KL.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I always read KL as Kuala Lumpur and I just saw Gendry making a hammer there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I refuse to believe that

1) Arya has gotten so good at fighting to the point where she can fight a person 6ft tall and like 180+ lbs of muscle

2) That the gigantic magic valerian sword Brienne has wouldn't just completely shatter the toothpick that Arya has on first contact

3) That even if Needle didn't shatter from direct contact the first time she uses it to block Brienne's attack, that Arya's loving hands wouldn't have just rung and hurt so much from absorbing all that energy

Like I could entertain the sight/idea of Syrio being able to handle himself against trained knights with a broomstick because he's suppose to be a master at his art, probably has the same amount of experience fighting as said knights so he'd know what to watch for, and he's not a 5 ft girl built like a pixie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I refuse to believe that

1) Arya has gotten so good at fighting to the point where she can fight a person 6ft tall and like 180+ lbs of muscle

2) That the gigantic magic valerian sword Brienne has wouldn't just completely shatter the toothpick that Arya has on first contact

3) That even if Needle didn't shatter from direct contact the first time she uses it to block Brienne's attack, that Arya's loving hands wouldn't have just rung and hurt so much from absorbing all that energy

Like I could entertain the sight/idea of Syrio being able to handle himself against trained knights with a broomstick because he's suppose to be a master at his art, probably has the same amount of experience fighting as said knights so he'd know what to watch for, and he's not a 5 ft girl built like a pixie.

How do you feel about fire-breathing lizards the size of commercial airliners?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

1) She's magic
2) It's a sparring sword
3) See points 1 and 2

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PostNouveau posted:

How do you feel about fire-breathing lizards the size of commercial airliners?

I know the joke is about ~realism~ but not all realism is the same you know?

I can accept fire breathing dragons in an established fantasy world, resurrection by fire, etc, because those things can all be handwaved away as "magic."

But things like how Arya's hand bones or sword wouldn't have fractured from the shear force of taking a direct hit just aren't the same. Like if you don't believe me just go grab a baseball bat and hold it out and tell someone to swing at it with all their force. I guarantee you something is going to break.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I wonder if the Iron Bank guy accepts caramelized gold after all. If not, they can re-shoot the killing-with-molten-gold scene at last.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like if you don't believe me just go grab a baseball bat and hold it out and tell someone to swing at it with all their force. I guarantee you something is going to break.

OK I will!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Best episode this season so far, cool battle, lots of encounters

But when did the dothraki (and their horses) got fireproof?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Elias_Maluco posted:

Best episode this season so far, cool battle, lots of encounters

But when did the dothraki (and their horses) got fireproof?

I'd simply assume they trained a bit on Dragon Stone or in the past weeks (or whatever amount of time passed since the sacking of Highgarden) when they marched/shipped through half of Westeros, so that they at least are not super scared of it and the horses somewhat behave. Them literally riding through flames like in the first scene after Drogon hit though is maybe just a cool shot for cool shot reasons.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I refuse to believe that

Brienne is not going 100% strength. Feel better?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Goon watching a boxing match: What the hell, why would Tyson wear padded gloves? Doesn't he realize brass knuckles would be way more effective? Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that neither of these fighters would bring a shotgun with all the time they had to prepare.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Boris Galerkin posted:

I refuse to believe that

Wait, did you even watch the scene? As far as I can see, this looks like a training sword, no lion, no valyrian steel. Also, she is (at least in the first few moments) not using her full power and skills and still, she hit Arya a decent amount of times, while Arya did not do a killing blow (disregarding the very first strike) until the last moment.

She's been gone for a while, training with the most skilled assassins in the entire world for months or maybe longer, a good portion of that while being completely blind. She was taught to fight, to brew poison, change her face, act accordingly to whatever her face is right now and she was very far from being done with training, too.
I can see how a two minutes fight with a knight that was taught to fight with honor, a broadsword and using her entire body to outmatch an opponent could turn out not entirely safe for her, when fighting Arya.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Scene was ok because Arya acts like she is hot poo poo for tapping Brienne's armor here and there like this is a fencing match and it actually means anything. Brienne gives her the mighty boot and Arya remembers that the point of swords isn't showing off, it's loving people up. That's why Sansa looks ill-tempered about it, she kind of laughed off Arya having a kill list earlier but at heart she isn't down with her sister being a murderous fiend. I think. She could be just having a bad day.

As to why a womanlet like Maisie can offer any threat at all to someone with Gwendolyn Christie's reach advantage, well yeah it's stupid but sword fights in film are hardly ever about what actually makes sense, they are metaphors which express characters' internal and interpersonal conflicts as exciting visual action.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
In a "real" (as real as anything in a fake fantasy show could be) a Brienne in full plate armour with a 1.5 m long sword could simply ignore any parrying by an unarmoured (or nearly so) Arya with a 60 cm smallword. A single slice would basically go unopposed through that little toy sword. Needle is basically a tiny rapier/smallsword, and mostly for poking, so Arya would have to get inside of Briennes range and try to stick her in a joint to do any damage, while Brienne could basically use cut, thrust, half-swording, alls the poo poo that made knights in plate armour really important of the medieval battle field, even when not mounted.

Of course, even disregarding that it is two actors (apparently they did the fight themselves not their stunt doubles) doing a choreography, Brienne couldn't use most of her fighting skills and moves since she wouldn't want to hurt or kill Arya (even later in the fight she doesn't try to cut off her head or something), while Arya apprently doesn't seem to fight with such restrictions.

It was a badly choreographed fight, with Arya using a non-cutting sword to cut and Brienne flailing around in the air with vertical cuts instead of horizontal ones. The idea was great, the implementation bad.

:goonsay:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Seems kinda similar to Oberyn defeating* the Mountain. Needle is shorter than a spear I guess but same basic principle.

*before he lost ofc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bloom posted:

Goon watching a boxing match: What the hell, why would Tyson wear padded gloves? Doesn't he realize brass knuckles would be way more effective? Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that neither of these fighters would bring a shotgun with all the time they had to prepare.

I would pay good money to see brass knuckle boxing tournaments.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think Arya vs Brienne was kinda cool, but a bit spoiled by the fact Arya is a terrible actress and always looks dumb trying to act all badass

The Stark reunions was also a bit underwhelming because of the same: they are all terrible actors. Autistic Bran is really working, though

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

Seems kinda similar to Oberyn defeating* the Mountain. Needle is shorter than a spear I guess but same basic principle.

*before he lost ofc

Being able to poke from outside your opponents reach is kind of a big deal. But i can see why they wouldn't want to do a repeat in the same spirit that Arya dodges and wears Brienne out.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think Arya vs Brienne was kinda cool, but a bit spoiled by the fact Arya is a terrible actress and always looks dumb trying to act all badass

The Stark reunions was also a bit underwhelming because of the same: they are all terrible actors. Autistic Bran is really working, though

They should have worked in the timeskip and just dumped the younger cast at some point.

Rotacixe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 8, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calling it now, Arya is Sylvio dressed as a little girl and retains the full strength of a grown man after training at face man school. He even faked his own birth and infancy as Arya. That's how talented he is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rotacixe posted:

They should have worked in the timeskip and just dumped the younger cast at some point.

That's the problem with hiring child actors. There's no telling if they're gonna become actual good actors at any point. Dany and Jon were never good though, no excuses there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dany and Jon were hot, cheap and perfect for an infant show being carried for a season by Sam Bean and poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Apparently ~~hackers~~ have leaked the episode 5 script, anyone got a copy?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

skasion posted:

Apparently ~~hackers~~ have leaked the episode 5 script, anyone got a copy?

r/freefolk is a good place to look for these things:
https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6sd5oz/hbo_leaks_from_databreachercom/

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
All the non-ironic sperging over the finer points of medieval swordplay and the tactics flying fire-breathing dragons should really use on the battlefield is the best.

Someone please work out the physics of dragon flying next, I want to know what the top speed and roll rate of one is compared to a Stuka.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
*extremely Roger Daltrey voice* it's oooooonlyyyyyy tiiiiiiits aaaaaaand dragonnnnnnns

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

JBP posted:

Yeah, I was talking about their previous arguments at the end. I thought Tyrions concerned face was for Dany as well since it often cut from her doing things (not just burning but evading arrows and being shot down). He also told her not to risk going in herself.

Do you think Tyrion is more loyal to Dany or his brother? I don't know so I'm just asking out of curiosity as to why people think he is doing certain things. Trying to protect Jaime or to protect Dany. Both? What's his outcome?

E: does him hating Cersei carry over to Jaime a bit/a lot now?

I think the show went out of it's way to have Tyrion at the dragon attack to see Jaime, and they didn't hold back much with how horrible the dragons are, I don't see why they'd bother if not to remind us that Tyrion still loves Jaime and that he's still a Westeros boy. I think he's still going to stay on team Dany just because that's also gonna be team Jon and the Good Guys, and those scenes really need a 'southern envoy' voice besides Varys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should attach an air horn to Drogon next season. Terrify the undead through psychological warfare.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

As a participant in multiple LARP fights, after watching the brienne/arya sparring scene, I

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The real dumb thing was by the end when Jamie is riding through obvisouly very shallow water but then when he is pushed from thew horse he falls into very deep waters

editr: also, dany was dumb on the dragon, but that's kinda make sense because she has very little experience in using them in battle and she is really dumb

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 8, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The actual real dumb part is that we had 3 episodes worth of nothing happening before Dany actually got on her high-reptilian-horse and burned poo poo.

Oh also Jon's exaggerated working class accent going "before we hack it off to bits" like he's some chimney sweeper or some poo poo that was real dumb.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I swear that goons are watching this show sweatily holding their phones, desperate to leap on here as soon as they see anything they can poo poo on regardless how minute

i.e the guy a few pages back that was like "oh the landscape in the battle scene was really out of character to the general landscape portrayed so far in that specific region"

see also the multi page derail about whether the boats were the right type and how many people it would take to man them effectively

If this series is bad, its the series you deserve you spergy fucks

Edit: see also the two posts above this one

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elias_Maluco posted:

The real dumb thing was by the end when Jamie is riding through obvisouly very shallow water but then when he is pushed from thew horse he falls into very deep waters

Yeah according to the leaked script outline originally it was supposed to be on a bridge, which makes more sense. But I guess they changed locations in preproduction.

*Bronn shoves Jamie from his horse, they land with a splash and tumble a few feet in the ankle deep water. Drogon the Dragon snaps them up hungrily and gulps them down, boots, plate and all.*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dany is great because she got two armies killed, got Olenna killed, got the unsullied hosed up and had her prime mover shot down by a scallywag in four episodes lmao.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hitchensgoespop posted:

I swear that goons are watching this show sweatily holding their phones, desperate to leap on here as soon as they see anything they can poo poo on regardless how minute

i.e the guy a few pages back that was like "oh the landscape in the battle scene was really out of character to the general landscape portrayed so far in that specific region"

see also the multi page derail about whether the boats were the right type and how many people it would take to man them effectively

If this series is bad, its the series you deserve you spergy fucks

Edit: see also the two posts above this one

I'm sorry mlady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm sorry mlady.

Thank you, now..have you seen a maid of three and ten passing this way

• Locked thread