Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ArfJason posted:

ive never given the saturn 3d blast soundtrack a full listen but from what i remember it wasnt nearly as catchy as the genesis one but for a long time i saw nothing but praise for it, to the point where i still believe its the fan favourite.
I only ever see the Genesis version getting love. Probably because it's the only version Sega ever makes available (just as they seem content to poo poo out the Genesis version of Virtua Fighter 2 that nobody likes onto everything instead of porting that arcade-perfect port they did on PS3/360 anywhere else). Also probably because Tatsuyuki Maeda's contributions really are hella good. Jun Senoue's... well, Green Grove 1/2 and Panic Puppet 1 are good, but then you get the blandest poo poo like Spring Stadium or the Special Stage. Say what you will about the circus music for Spring Stadium 2 on Saturn/Win98, but Act 1's cool jazz blows away the Genesis versions of both Act 1 and Act 2 all on its own, honestly

I'm more partial to the Saturn soundtrack myself (if this wasn't obvious), though really they're both very good.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Seven days.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They aren't as good as the Taxman versions but I'm playing through the 3D Classics versions of 1 and 2 and they look really neat in 3D. M2 also did a great job porting these.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 8, 2017

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Metal Sonic's technical specifications mention he has an engine.

So he's not animal powered.

On the other hand, there's Badnik Sonic from Sonic the Comic.

Where rather than being built with animals, Badniks were sent out to consume them to act as Organic Batteries.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

yeah I agre*gets immediately crushed by colors, generations and the better half of unleashed*

must suck being crushed under so much MEDIOCRITY!!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Evil Eagle posted:

Seven days.

Somehow, over a decade and a half later, even just seeing a screencap of this scene still makes me feel HYPE AS gently caress

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Shadow Hog posted:

Jun Senoue's... well, Green Grove 1/2 and Panic Puppet 1 are good, but then you get the blandest poo poo like Spring Stadium or the Special Stage.

Actually both of those rule

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is really good and I think the retro graphics are excusable given it originally came out 17 years ago.

It was definitely the best 3D Sonic game in existence for a long rear end time. It really successfully translated the experience of the 2D games to a 3D environment in a way Sega never quite managed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Panic Puppet 2 is also great. In fact Panic Puppet in general is great.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Raise some loving Chao.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone got particular hopes for the unrevealed returning stages? From what I understand we're expecting 10 or more stages (based on a dev comment that Mania will have more then generations) with another dev comment saying that a majority will be returning/remixes. With what's revealed so far, we've seen something from Sonic 1, 2, 3&K (or specifically S&K) and CD - assuming only 10 stages and a 6/4 split there's 2 more returning stages to be seen. One is probably an S3 stage?

Even though we did just get it in the S2 mobile port, I kinda want to see S2 Hidden Palace, maybe as a secret level / bonus for collecting the emeralds. (Apparently one of the original plans in S2 was you'd got there to unlock super sonic?) The other stages I'd want to see return would be Launch Base and Starlight, but it feels like those have overlap with stuff already in Mania, so I'm going to wager we'll see Ice Cap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone got particular hopes for the unrevealed returning stages? From what I understand we're expecting 10 or more stages (based on a dev comment that Mania will have more then generations) with another dev comment saying that a majority will be returning/remixes. With what's revealed so far, we've seen something from Sonic 1, 2, 3&K (or specifically S&K) and CD - assuming only 10 stages and a 6/4 split there's 2 more returning stages to be seen. One is probably an S3 stage?

Even though we did just get it in the S2 mobile port, I kinda want to see S2 Hidden Palace, maybe as a secret level / bonus for collecting the emeralds. (Apparently one of the original plans in S2 was you'd got there to unlock super sonic?) The other stages I'd want to see return would be Launch Base and Starlight, but it feels like those have overlap with stuff already in Mania, so I'm going to wager we'll see Ice Cap.

S3 zone is probably Hydrocity.
It'd feel weird if they doubled up on stages for any games but if they did Lava Reef would be an A+ pick.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm still being a contrarian and hoping they 2D-ize a 3D stage.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm hoping the last level is the Death Egg, because what could be more appropriate than that?

Or rather they should do the Second Death Egg, which is basically half-finished like the Second Death Star in Return of the Jedi, except it has a Robotnik face on it

And then maybe Admiral Ackbar is all like "Concentrate all firepowah on dat supah star destroyah!" and then one of Sonic's friends does a kamikaze run and flies the Tornado into the bridge of the Flying Battery and it crashes into the Death Egg and explodes and everyone cheers

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I feel like there will be at least 5 brand new zones as there are either 5 or 6 hard boiled heavies and I don't expect them to appear in classic zones. I'm hoping for Lava Reef like everyone else and any other CD Zone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Starlight, Hydrocity, Lava Reef and the game is perfect.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

multijoe posted:

Starlight, Hydrocity, Lava Reef and the game is perfect.

Starlight probably won't make it in because the game has Stardust Speedway and they're too similar.

That said, that didn't stop Sonic Generations from being almost entirely green tropical tropical palm tree levels or city levels

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't imagine that'd happen with what they're aiming for with Mania being a love letter to the 2D era, but man, I'd be totally down for that sort of thing for a Mania 2. Even though we got a bit of it in Generations, I'd love to see some of those stages re-imagined in Mania's art.

Augus posted:

S3 zone is probably Hydrocity.
It'd feel weird if they doubled up on stages for any games but if they did Lava Reef would be an A+ pick.

Oh dang, I forgot about Lava Reef. I'd love to see what they'd do for the remixed version.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Starlight probably won't make it in because the game has Stardust Speedway and they're too similar.

That said, that didn't stop Sonic Generations from being almost entirely green tropical tropical palm tree levels or city levels

What? There's just two "green tropical palm tree levels". Green Hill and Seaside Hill.

and I'd argue the city stages are all pretty starkly different from each other aesthetically.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

id like that
maybe from colors

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Give me 2D Egg Fleet from Heroes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

complete with grind rails.

I'd like to see how Taxman manages to make them work in the retro engine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Now that I think of it, it's super disappointing that this wasn't the stage they used in Mania.

Hell, Heroes had a bunch of good stage themes, it's such a shame the game just isn't that fun.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Good point, I'd also accept Spring Yard in that case. A faster paced Marble Garden keeping the labyrinth level design would be pretty nice too if the devs could pull it off.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Now that I think of it, it's super disappointing that this wasn't the stage they used in Mania.

Hell, Heroes had a bunch of good stage themes, it's such a shame the game just isn't that fun.

Yeah I really wanted it in Generations. Heroes is the only modern game that kind of follows the Act 1/Act 2 structure of the Genesis games and I love the stage themes and art.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

i was thinking about egg fleet in generations
but id probably like hang castle more or bingo whatever

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

complete with grind rails.

I'd like to see how Taxman manages to make them work in the retro engine.

It mean it would be kind of a no-brainer since grind rails were already done in the Sonic Advance games so it wouldn't be like they'd be making new game mechanics.

Also let's be honest, even though Sonic Adventure was the game that gave Sonic green eyes and buckles on his shoes, it's old enough that I consider it to be one of the "classic" games, and it certainly plays more like classic Sonic than later 3D outings

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRotnINixs

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

i was thinking about egg fleet in generations
but id probably like hang castle more or bingo whatever

gently caress. BINGO. Highway.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

the SCREENS

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

According to twitter it's "locally". How is there still local only multiplayer in TYOOL 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

It mean it would be kind of a no-brainer since grind rails were already done in the Sonic Advance games so it wouldn't be like they'd be making new game mechanics.

Except Advance plays very differently from the classic titles.

Taxman's take on it would be very different.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have sonic rom hack recommendations beyond Megamix and Sonic 2 Long (I think thats what it was called)? I've been playing a bit of Sonic 3 Complete and I'm curious what else has been done since I last looked into the rom hack scene.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's interesting that Knuckles and Tails have their unique abilities, because they didn't in the 2 player mode of Sonic 2 and 3. I always figured this was for balance issues. In particular, hopefully this game lets both players pick Sonic because otherwise his drop dash is going to make things really unfair.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Except Advance plays very differently from the classic titles.

Taxman's take on it would be very different.

Advance 2 and 3, that is. Advance 1 is very much like the classic Sonic games and is actually good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Because netplay is actually extremely difficult and expensive to implement.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Macaluso posted:

According to twitter it's "locally". How is there still local only multiplayer in TYOOL 2017

It's good that this game still has local multiplayer because a ton just don't and playing a game next to an actual human being will always be better than online

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Macaluso posted:

i would have liked for it to be online but being incredulous about local multiplayer in the decade where a billion games that are nothing but a local multiplayer mode have been released is some basic bitch poo poo

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oh god, did they have to stick with the gross squashed screens?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

absolutely anything posted:

i would have liked for it to be online but being incredulous about local multiplayer in the decade where a billion games that are nothing but a local multiplayer mode have been released is some basic bitch poo poo

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's good that this game still has local multiplayer because a ton just don't and playing a game next to an actual human being will always be better than online

I don't have a problem with local multiplayer, I have a problem with only local multiplayer. If there are both options then I take back my post.

DoctorWhat posted:

Because netplay is actually extremely difficult and expensive to implement.

Surely Sega could handle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Frankston posted:

Oh god, did they have to stick with the gross squashed screens?

Yes and ill die defending their right to do so