Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somehow Ford had a longer 'honeymoon' period than Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

screamin and creamin posted:

What's this even supposed to mean? In any event, COBOL is a language that's universally regarded as a terrible legacy product. Certainly not a good showcase of anything. But even if it would be the greatest programming language in the world, it would just be one example and at best an anecdote.

I'm convinced that women and men have the same skill potential in computing, but gently caress COBOL.

COBOL isn't a good showcase of good things grace hopper did.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
MY WIFE is a fairly successful attorney in her 30s, and she can barely use the MS Office suite. She has can use Word well enough to create and format a document, but is clueless about excel, powerpoint, and access. She could possibly throw a basic presentation together in powerpoint if she had to.

I'm an Excel power user, and the thought of not having that arrow in my quiver fills me with intense anxiety. I owe a lot of my productivity to spreadsheets that I've been curating throughout the last 15 years of my career.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's when you use a pivot table or any kind of macro that people really lose their mind. Even as a scientist it's insane how few people can even use the basic stats functions in Excel

i do not actually know how to make a pivot table and could not actually tell you what one is, but I have essentially coded one from scratch before in an excel sheet :v:

macros are troublesome for anything you're sharing because people - correctly - have started associating office macros with viruses and should be told to never ever allow them to run, so any macro-enabled sheet you make needs to be basically for your own personal use

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Lord Maga has arisen! (6 hours ago, I took a nap)

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/894872328873549824

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/894874098257453057

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894878812063846400

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894880193839497216

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Bicyclops posted:

Well, at least we can be sure that the Google rant guy will learn his lesson and adjust his worldview, and there aren't networks of people, say, Breitbart or Julian Assange, who will allow him to parachute onto a platform.

Ask Breitbart what they think about defending pedophilia.
So much for "free speech" amirite? :c00lbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eyebeem posted:

MY WIFE is a fairly successful attorney in her 30s, and she can barely use the MS Office suite. She has can use Word well enough to create and format a document, but is clueless about excel, powerpoint, and access. She could possibly throw a basic presentation together in powerpoint if she had to.

I'm an Excel power user, and the thought of not having that arrow in my quiver fills me with intense anxiety. I owe a lot of my productivity to spreadsheets that I've been curating throughout the last 15 years of my career.

the only reason i know how to use excel is from years of playing eve online

i have repeatedly lied at work about how i learned how to use it, and mumbled something about college and quickly changing the subject

microsoft word is also the tool of the loving devil at times when you make one change and suddenly it reformats loving everything in the document eight pages away

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

i do not actually know how to make a pivot table and could not actually tell you what one is, but I have essentially coded one from scratch before in an excel sheet :v:

macros are troublesome for anything you're sharing because people - correctly - have started associating office macros with viruses and should be told to never ever allow them to run, so any macro-enabled sheet you make needs to be basically for your own personal use

They have made pivot tables incredibly easy/simple in the newer versions of excel. In the old days it was a much more complicated process.

Now you have to throw vlookup poo poo together to get a rise out of people.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

eyebeem posted:

MY WIFE is a fairly successful attorney in her 30s, and she can barely use the MS Office suite.

Attorneys are supposed to be using Word Perfect 5.1 anyway.

Also COBOL not being very good is expected, first cuts at something very new and revolutionary rarely are.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eyebeem posted:

They have made pivot tables incredibly easy/simple in the newer versions of excel. In the old days it was a much more complicated process.

yeah i made an entire sheet out of vlookups that if anyone ever tries to make sense out of they're going to go absolutely bonkers crazy

three weeks after i coded it all I couldn't even follow what I'd done fully, and just had to copy the entire thing and start changing one thing at a time to make something similar

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pivot tables make me hard and I probably make five a day at work.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OddObserver posted:

WP 5.1 is a ball and chain around my ankle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lightning Knight posted:

This isn't something that can't be pushed against though. For example, subsidizing the wages of the working disabled so they can be paid equally but the organizations can continue to operate. I have no clue if that's a workable solution currently but there's no reason we must be beholden to market forces if it undermines justice and the equal treatment of others.

This whole argument is kinda dumb because the point of sheltered workshop programs is that participants aren't employees, so whatever payment they receive isn't counted as income that would reduce eligibility for SSI and title II benefits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have repeatedly freaked out co-workers just by using a SUM function. That makes me an Excel Wizard where I work. I don't even comprehend most of the rest of what y'all are talking about.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OddObserver posted:

The day I casually discovered that she dictates into a recorder and has her secretary type out her correspondence is the day I realized that I have a lot to learn about how certain professions still operate.

She was not aware that this was unusual.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have repeatedly freaked out co-workers just by using a SUM function. That makes me an Excel Wizard where I work. I don't even comprehend most of the rest of what y'all are talking about.

Throw some nested if statements together and get that promotion you've been after.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tayter Swift posted:

Pivot tables make me hard and I probably make five a day at work.

Is the pivot finally coming?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hey, someone else learns how loyal Trump is:

https://www.infowars.com/where-is-trump-sheriff-arpaio-asks/

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I will say that the fresh-from-college civil engineers I've hired have almost all come with enough Excel knowledge to throw functions together, and pick up pivot tables and more complex formulas pretty much immediately.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I work for a large insurance company and like 25-50% of our work is done in excel. The last time I helped someone by creating a simple vlookup formula I'm pretty sure they were convinced I was an actual wizard.

I'm waiting for the opportunity to blow everyone's minds with a short IF-ELSE but sadly it hasn't come up yet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Google story gets better and better.

https://twitter.com/nitashatiku/status/894939560391565317

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha he probably doesn't even remember his name.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is shocking how many people whose jobs should revolve around Excel don't know how to use it well TBH. I worked at a company that 23,000 employees but I, some chump admin working at one of the locations, had to craft the spreadsheet that was getting passed around to track some quarterly numbers, because the middle-management guys who wanted conditional formatting to color code it based on goals kept breaking the sheet. This is to say nothing of the oceans of times I've had to fix legacy spreadsheets for mass mailings because people couldn't figure it out.
People put Excel on their resumes for a reason, although more and more, I'm noticing that companies actually make you use Excel in front of them to do the tasks they need it for as a part of the interview process.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Lote posted:

Computers used symbols and arithmetic before there was computer language as we know it. Hopper got panned at the time for trying to change computer language to something more accessible. Would you rather program using assembly?

Yes, and I have. But this is not about me.

Look, it's a little bit as it is in politics: COBOL may have been a little bit of an achievement when it was brand new, but it's just obsolete in a million ways and rightfully regarded as legacy crap now. Just read the Wikipedia page: "COBOL has been criticized throughout its life, however, for its verbosity, design process and poor support for structured programming, which resulted in monolithic and incomprehensible programs."

I also doubt it was the first language using English words. Can you support that statement?

In musical terms, you're kinda dead set on using Yoko Ono exclusively as the only shining example of women in music...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you learn LaTeX for presentations, a simple markup language, you will loving blow people's minds.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The public evisceration of a guy with dumb opinions that he shared in an internal memo makes me really uncomfortable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The public evisceration of a guy with dumb opinions that he shared in an internal memo makes me really uncomfortable.

"Dumb opinions" is an understatement and actually public shaming of people who are wrong about diversity is good.

Also, don't lie about having a PhD Jesus Christ

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

WP 5.1 is a ball and chain around my ankle.

Wait, it's still alive!? I was mostly kidding, having seen it in such use towards the end of the 90s, when it was already feeling like something out of a previous era. Right now it must feel completely prehistoric.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Excel is amazing, because 95% of my job requires Excel and nobody knows how to use it.

I get assignments that will take 2 days, my boss is like, "Can you do it in two weeks?," and I turn it in in one week and they think I put in a herculean effort to get it in early.

A lawyer was in disbelief when I sent him a spreadsheet with all the weekdays in a year listed on it a minute after he requested it.

He said that he had made the one for last year himself and it had taken him several hours because he had input all of it by hand and referenced calendars. He didn't know you could hit "Fill -> Weekday" and be done.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's actually good, if it makes any future screed-writers think twice before sharing their particular screeds out of fear of being shitcanned.

This is how social progress is made.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually if you think :biotruths: bullshit is real or defend anyone who does you should be named and shamed publicly because that thinking sets back society sixty goddamn years
Hth

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Excel is amazing, because 95% of my job requires Excel and nobody knows how to use it.

I get assignments that will take 2 days, my boss is like, "Can you do it in two weeks?," and I turn it in in one week and they think I put in a herculean effort to get it in early.

A lawyer was in disbelief when I sent him a spreadsheet with all the weekdays in a year listed on it a minute after he requested it.

He said that he had made the one for last year himself and it had taken him several hours because he had input all of it by hand and referenced calendars. He didn't know you could hit "Fill -> Weekday" and be done.

This is a bigger illustration of how incredible you can look at the vast majority of jobs by taking five minutes to Google something to see how it's done, e.g. every time I have helped somebody fix something that was broken on their iphone or ipad.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

WampaLord posted:

It's actually good, if it makes any future screed-writers think twice before sharing their particular screeds out of fear of being shitcanned.

Is it though?
You'd think people would've learned by now not to post racist memes on Facebook.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Wait, it's still alive!? I was mostly kidding, having seen it in such use towards the end of the 90s, when it was already feeling like something out of a previous era. Right now it must feel completely prehistoric.

I'm a laboratory compliance clerk and most of our data entry software on the lab end is proprietary scripts coded by our VP back when I was still in diapers. WP5.1 is the only word processor compatible with those scripts, so basically my workspace is time-locked in the mid-to-late 90's as a result.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Avirosb posted:

Is it though?
You'd think people would've learned by now not to post racist memes on Facebook.

Most people with something to lose have.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Learning coding language changes the pathways in your brain, comparative to the way learning a second human language causes positive synaptic growth.
However, speaking in human languages is inherently social, hence the benefits. Because coding languages are inherently authoritative commands, the growth one sees in the brain of a programmer is cancerous and spreads through the autism spectrum.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avirosb posted:

Is it though?

If they're keeping their racist memes to their own little self-cultivated bubble, that's fine. When they try to spread that poo poo out into real adult culture, they get smacked down by real adult consequences.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

This is a bigger illustration of how incredible you can look at the vast majority of jobs by taking five minutes to Google something to see how it's done, e.g. every time I have helped somebody fix something that was broken on their iphone or ipad.

Scott Adams was right all along.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WampaLord posted:

Censorship is never the path to enlightenment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

"Dumb opinions" is an understatement and actually public shaming of people who are wrong about diversity is good.

Is it? In my experience, the way you actually make prejudiced people less prejudiced is by engaging with them with empathy and patience, exposing them to diverse populations, and leading by example. Public shaming accomplishes none of these things, though I do think it makes people more defensive and insular.

• Locked thread