Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive been very torn on this because I do want real Cooper back like everyone but I love both Dougie Cooper and Bad Cooper, I loved then on every single scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Krangdar posted:

James' voice kinda sounds like Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips.

"Do you realize.... you have the most... beautiful pie...."

Also, I need more Leland :colbert:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Audrey's husband was in Sin City. Also starting to warm up to the "she's mentally broken" theory. Which makes her and Pete's baby being Richard make a lot more sense. Poor kid never had either parent.

I'm sorry, what? Did I miss a "Pete the Poodle is Richard's dad" theory?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

After this last episode, I do really appreciate the Dougie character. He's like a superhero whose power is either incredible luck or ultimate good karma. I want the Jones family to have a happy ending (hopefully they don't all get shot to death in some botched assassination attempt).

If they had given us Dale Cooper early on in this season, I think we would have lost a lot of the mystery (if they kept the other parts of the plot). Cooper is just too drat competent. He'd immediately reconnect with all the other characters and start tracking down his doppelganger, bing bang boom. I feel like a lot of the tension would be lost. The unease that viewers feel this season is that no one's really in control of the situation. Both the FBI and Sheriff's Dept. groups are somewhat on the trail, but they're not "god-tier" protagonists like original Dale Cooper.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

loving lol if you think the reflection is a mistake, ed even notices it and does a confused glance at the cup. They cut back to his reaction show you this. poo poo, they've been going out of their way to show and tell you time is hosed up.

Was the car's headlights popping into existence on the right side of the frame intentional too?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm just at the James part now... uhh... wow. :stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zelah posted:

I'm sorry, what? Did I miss a "Pete the Poodle is Richard's dad" theory?

I floated the idea that one of Pete's sperms got exploded into Audrey's uterus during the bank explosion. So far the theory is holding up to scrutiny.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

wa27 posted:

Was the car's headlights popping into existence on the right side of the frame intentional too?

that doesnt happen, the camera cuts back to the window as the car is already starting to pass, and the other cars all come in from outside the frame. but i can see why your memory would tell you that. well done on getting me to check tho.

when you are checking this poo poo make sure its not a garbage youtube video because that just makes the reflection blurry and hard to see.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

that doesnt happen, the camera cuts back to the window as the car is already starting to pass, and the other cars all come in from outside the frame. but i can see why your memory would tell you that. well done on getting me to check tho.

when you are checking this poo poo make sure its not a garbage youtube video because that just makes the reflection blurry and hard to see.

It's obvious on a 1080p version. The second car - the one that pass through the reflection right as he "drops" his soup. When it enters the frame, the headlights pop in. It's just as obvious as the reflection cutting, I'm not sure how you can miss it.

I tried looking at a youtube version since I'm at work, but it's not as clear with the lovely compression. I can post some screenshots later today if you're still not seeing it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

wa27 posted:

It's obvious on a 1080p version. The second car - the one that pass through the reflection right as he "drops" his soup. When it enters the frame, the headlights pop in. It's just as obvious as the reflection cutting, I'm not sure how you can miss it.

I tried looking at a youtube version since I'm at work, but it's not as clear with the lovely compression. I can post some screenshots later today if you're still not seeing it.

please do because i'm not sure what you mean by pop in, the second car headlights come in from the very right edge as anything regular would.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I guess, to me, this is the fundamental problem I have with some viewers, especially when it comes to this kind of poo poo.

Once again, replace the internet with the watercooler, and replace "Coop coming back" with "finding out Laura Palmer's killer" and the similarities are downright STRIKING.

And remember that David Lynch did not EVER want Laura Palmer to come back. Which does make me think we may not ever see Dougie "magically transform" into "Special Agent Dale Cooper". And I am TOTALLY FINE WITH THAT! I have been enjoying the HELL out of this season, and I don't need Lynch to meet some plot condition for the series to be fun. It's something I've never understood the principle of - it's like the same people feel like a bad finale can retroactively "spoil" episodes that had once been good. Absolute rubbish.

People are saying that because of the shot of what appears to be Special Agent Cooper driving a car at night in the trailer, he must be coming back. But couldn't that perhaps be Evil Coop after a haircut wearing color contacts and foundation to make his skin lighter? I mean, it's possible.

I wish I could be this confident that somebody feeling differently to me makes them inherently an uncultured idiot

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Even if Cooper does come back, it's not going to be a "feel good" moment. He lost 25 years of his life in an otherworldly purgatory, he has a son he doesn't know, a wife he doesn't know... that's a lot of pieces of pick up!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At this point the only thing that really bothers me about this show is the weirdo pacing. Having that long-rear end Audrey scene as her introduction at the very end of the second act, introducing the Jack Rabbit's Palace stuff about 4-5 episodes (at least) before they actually follow it up....it's not terrible or show-ruining, but at this point it's pretty clear that it's not super well-handled, probably due to having to break up one massive screenplay into episodes like this. Like, this isn't just "people just want resolution they are so dumb wah wah wah they can't handle anything different", this is actively bad pacing, because episodes of a television show are meant to flow together, and not being able to do that doesn't make you an avant-garde genius.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point the only thing that really bothers me about this show is the weirdo pacing. Having that long-rear end Audrey scene as her introduction at the very end of the second act, introducing the Jack Rabbit's Palace stuff about 4-5 episodes (at least) before they actually follow it up....it's not terrible or show-ruining, but at this point it's pretty clear that it's not super well-handled, probably due to having to break up one massive screenplay into episodes like this. Like, this isn't just "people just want resolution they are so dumb wah wah wah they can't handle anything different", this is actively bad pacing, because episodes of a television show are meant to flow together, and not being able to do that doesn't make you an avant-garde genius.

lol you take any tv show now, say game of thrones or whatever, send it back 10 years in time and pricks like you will be picking it apart just cause it isn't exactly like every other piece of trash out now because thats the only way you understand how to judge things, comparing it to norms instead of appreciating it for itsself

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
picasso, what a total cuck, he paints bad

wait

what

why are people liking picassssoooooo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
thanks for proving my point there champ

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

can't wait until you all find out there's 5 acts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picasso is a garbage painter. Nothing looks like what it's supposed to look like. Pure trash.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Baloogan posted:

lol you take any tv show now, say game of thrones or whatever, send it back 10 years in time and pricks like you will be picking it apart just cause it isn't exactly like every other piece of trash out now because thats the only way you understand how to judge things, comparing it to norms instead of appreciating it for itsself

Game of thrones came out 7 years ago and follows normal television and storytelling rules. That's a pretty terrible example.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that the pacing feels really off, the show seems to stutter a lot. It'll be going just fine for a while and then you get a really long scene where nothing happens or several very short scenes in a row and it just spins its wheels for a bit.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

hanales posted:

Game of thrones came out 7 years ago and follows normal television and storytelling rules. That's a pretty terrible example.

Six years, but regardless I'd wager they meant sending it back ten years prior to when it started.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hanales posted:

Most of the actors left on GoT would make Tammy's actress look less wooden though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

Six years, but regardless I'd wager they meant sending it back ten years prior to when it started.

Even then, how different is it from any soap opera from decades before is my point. It's not a lynchian throw the rule book out the window and break the viewers brain kind of show.

I love GoT but it's tits and dragons and palace intrigue, not high art (same applies to the books just add more food descriptions and worse pacing).

Solice Kirsk posted:

Most of the actors left on GoT would make Tammy's actress look less wooden though.

Valid. Jon Snow should have been Johnny.

hanales fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The James Hurley road house performance was the funniest goddamn thing they could have done this season. It sounded like the exact same recording from the original scene.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I like Tammy and I like her work in the Secret History and I hope there is a Season 4 staring TP and Candie and Cole. Maybe Cooper comes back maybe he doesn't. That parts not important to me anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
David Nevins of Showtime has said that he thinks it likely won't get a renewal, but that him and Lynch haven't discussed it and won't until the finale is over. I feel like I won't know if I even WANT more until then (ie if it wraps up perfectly I'm cool with that), so it works for me.

Also one of the main points of my pacing post was that I'm totally down with Dougie and don't consider it an issue as much as I may have done if you'd have told me after ep 4 he'd still be around. It's hardly like MacLachlan is being done a disservice - both of his performances here are probably the best work of his career. I still personally would prefer Coop to come back at least before the finale in time for him to (as someone mentioned) solve everything and tie it together and whatnot, but I'm absolutely rolling with it right now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I am completely expecting Coop's return to be some fist-pump moment in the finale where he pretty much immediately solves the plot/retroactively saves Laura Palmer/joins the Prophets in the wormhole spirits in the White Lodge, and I'm okay with that.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I wish I could be this confident that somebody feeling differently to me makes them inherently an uncultured idiot

It's not that I think the hypothetical people I was talking about are 'uncultured idiots'. I just think... So many modern TV shows are sprawling enterprises that can last a decade or more, and with shows that are essentially telling a long interconnected story, this can be, well, VERY loving difficult because quite often the show's popularity is a surprise, and a very talented writer/showrunner may find himself in the position of only being able to tell SO many stories, even with the insistence of the producers/network/cable channel/whatever. LOST was a show that only barely managed to stay afloat by negotiating an end date, or it would have really gone to absolute poo poo. And even so, there are people like the ones I was talking about who feel that because of their personal disappointment in the Series Finale of Lost, the whole show is now tainted and bad.

Actually, a really great example is another Showtime show, Dexter. Now, I can't speak for all of it because I ditched the show sometime around the end of season 5 and early season 6 when the shark had long since been vaulted across, and I understand that it only got worse, and the season finale was a horrible disappointing piece of crap in nearly every way, which I can fully believe. Now, I still happen to think that seasons 1, 2, and 4 of Dexter are all REALLY good, REALLY fun, and REALLY watchable. Season 1 especially is a freaking masterpiece, and something I still watch every few years because it's that good. Even season 3 isn't so bad, but it's also enough of like a self-contained side-story that you can very safely skip the whole thing, and it's worth it because season 4 has John Lithgow as a cold-blooded psychotic serial killer, essentially playing a proto-version of Josef Fritzl, which makes it scary as gently caress.

Let me bring up another example where I was acting like an 'uncultured idiot' myself - The Killing, a series on FX I think a while back that had a fairly Twin Peaks-ish vibe in being a neo-noir murder-mystery about a murdered teen girl in a small-ish town.

People (including me, at the time!) were absolutely INFURIATED when 'The Killing' ended season 1 without revealing the killer, because there was some expectation or some rumor or some way the show was marketed that implied we might find out or even would find out ABOLUTELY in the last episode, and we all thought he would be revealed and were prepared for the reveal... and it did not happen. And there was an ENORMOUS backlash against Veena Sud (the showrunner) for being incompetent, for lying to people to get ratings, for "making poo poo up as she goes along", for including all kinds of red herrings, for having very slow pacing, doing stuff like spending an entire episode with the detective and her partner looking for her missing son, for the show almost always ending on cliffhangers that would be revealed as red herrings by 5 minutes into the next episode.... That sort of thing. She just got a MASSIVE online shitstorm from the fans.

But we were being absolute impatient loving idiots who utterly missed the forest for the trees. A ton of those episodes in Season 1 were REALLY great - like actually the "bottle" episode that's almost entirely the two leads in a car, talking, driving around looking for the main characters son. That was a really wonderfully done character episode, but when I watched it the first time I was so focused on the mystery and finding stuff out, that I was just pissed off the show was deciding that it was more important to do something else completely. And I was wrong - totally, totally wrong. Furthermore, when I came back the show and kept going into Season 2, it just got even better and I actually fully understood *why* the first season was structured the way it was, and I obviously appreciated the whole thing SO much more when I saw it fully in context, as a complete story.

So I mean, I'm implicating myself here, I used to do the same thing, but now I'm an old man (32) and I feel like I've learned my lesson, not to judge art/entertainment until you've got the full perspective on it, and had a bit of time to digest it. You really, truly never know what might ultimately be significant or important. And it's just foolish to make pronouncements about a story before it's even finished being told. I almost think it's worthless to fully judge a series until it really is FULLY done, unless it's something episodic or primarily episodic, in which case it's a totally different deal obviously..

Anyway, I truly don't mean to be condescending, I just sincerely feel like complaining about a scene going on a bit too long and being 'bored' by it sound shallow and petty to me. Sorry, just does. And yes, I think that there are things going on in those scenes that have a great deal of depth. I was also entertained and highly amused by all the humor in the scene - from Charlie's body language and tone of voice, to Audrey swearing like a sailor, to what Audrey was wearing, to the conspicuous placement of the mirror, to arcane references in the dialogue to stuff like "you would never renege on our agreement!". And then the phone call, which was masterful I still just... Don't see ANYTHING wrong with any of it. I was laughing, fascinated, confused, and intrigued which is often how I feel watching a lot of these scenes. Maybe I was a bit bored, but whatever.

But again, as per what I'm saying, I am a bit worried that people will like... end up condemning the entire show if Cooper never comes back, and call it like "one long cocktease" or some poo poo like that. I can totally see that happening and it'd be annoying, but hopefully it'll just happen on like... reddit and twitter, not here :o:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basically saying that people are inpatient idiots for liking most of the show but thinking some scenes are bad is the condescending part. Just let it go and talk more about the parts you like and why.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

We saw Balthazar Getty two episodes ago
WELL I NEED MORE DAMMIT. But seriously, I guess that's my mistake. I suppose I meant it's been too long since the show followed up on whatever drug stuff he was doing with Richard.

:yikes:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vikar Jerome posted:

please do because i'm not sure what you mean by pop in, the second car headlights come in from the very right edge as anything regular would.

It seems like Ed's reflection doesn't actually put down the cup. As soon as the light from the headlights passes the window, the reflection jumps from Ed holding the cup to the cup being on the counter. Maybe that's what they meant?

HD DAD posted:

I am completely expecting Coop's return to be some fist-pump moment in the finale where he pretty much immediately solves the plot/retroactively saves Laura Palmer/joins the Prophets in the wormhole spirits in the White Lodge, and I'm okay with that.

I'm not. If Coop returns, I want him to hang out with the characters and talk about his experiences. If he's just some sort of glorified plot device (aka "the goose that lays the golden eggs"), there is not much reason for him to return at all, imo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Dale Cooper of the original show isn't coming back. Ever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

It's not that I think the hypothetical people I was talking about are 'uncultured idiots'. I just think... So many modern TV shows are sprawling enterprises that can last a decade or more, and with shows that are essentially telling a long interconnected story, this can be, well, VERY loving difficult because quite often the show's popularity is a surprise, and a very talented writer/showrunner may find himself in the position of only being able to tell SO many stories, even with the insistence of the producers/network/cable channel/whatever. LOST was a show that only barely managed to stay afloat by negotiating an end date, or it would have really gone to absolute poo poo. And even so, there are people like the ones I was talking about who feel that because of their personal disappointment in the Series Finale of Lost, the whole show is now tainted and bad.

Actually, a really great example is another Showtime show, Dexter. Now, I can't speak for all of it because I ditched the show sometime around the end of season 5 and early season 6 when the shark had long since been vaulted across, and I understand that it only got worse, and the season finale was a horrible disappointing piece of crap in nearly every way, which I can fully believe. Now, I still happen to think that seasons 1, 2, and 4 of Dexter are all REALLY good, REALLY fun, and REALLY watchable. Season 1 especially is a freaking masterpiece, and something I still watch every few years because it's that good. Even season 3 isn't so bad, but it's also enough of like a self-contained side-story that you can very safely skip the whole thing, and it's worth it because season 4 has John Lithgow as a cold-blooded psychotic serial killer, essentially playing a proto-version of Josef Fritzl, which makes it scary as gently caress.

Let me bring up another example where I was acting like an 'uncultured idiot' myself - The Killing, a series on FX I think a while back that had a fairly Twin Peaks-ish vibe in being a neo-noir murder-mystery about a murdered teen girl in a small-ish town.

People (including me, at the time!) were absolutely INFURIATED when 'The Killing' ended season 1 without revealing the killer, because there was some expectation or some rumor or some way the show was marketed that implied we might find out or even would find out ABOLUTELY in the last episode, and we all thought he would be revealed and were prepared for the reveal... and it did not happen. And there was an ENORMOUS backlash against Veena Sud (the showrunner) for being incompetent, for lying to people to get ratings, for "making poo poo up as she goes along", for including all kinds of red herrings, for having very slow pacing, doing stuff like spending an entire episode with the detective and her partner looking for her missing son, for the show almost always ending on cliffhangers that would be revealed as red herrings by 5 minutes into the next episode.... That sort of thing. She just got a MASSIVE online shitstorm from the fans.

But we were being absolute impatient loving idiots who utterly missed the forest for the trees. A ton of those episodes in Season 1 were REALLY great - like actually the "bottle" episode that's almost entirely the two leads in a car, talking, driving around looking for the main characters son. That was a really wonderfully done character episode, but when I watched it the first time I was so focused on the mystery and finding stuff out, that I was just pissed off the show was deciding that it was more important to do something else completely. And I was wrong - totally, totally wrong. Furthermore, when I came back the show and kept going into Season 2, it just got even better and I actually fully understood *why* the first season was structured the way it was, and I obviously appreciated the whole thing SO much more when I saw it fully in context, as a complete story.

So I mean, I'm implicating myself here, I used to do the same thing, but now I'm an old man (32) and I feel like I've learned my lesson, not to judge art/entertainment until you've got the full perspective on it, and had a bit of time to digest it. You really, truly never know what might ultimately be significant or important. And it's just foolish to make pronouncements about a story before it's even finished being told. I almost think it's worthless to fully judge a series until it really is FULLY done, unless it's something episodic or primarily episodic, in which case it's a totally different deal obviously..

Anyway, I truly don't mean to be condescending, I just sincerely feel like complaining about a scene going on a bit too long and being 'bored' by it sound shallow and petty to me. Sorry, just does. And yes, I think that there are things going on in those scenes that have a great deal of depth. I was also entertained and highly amused by all the humor in the scene - from Charlie's body language and tone of voice, to Audrey swearing like a sailor, to what Audrey was wearing, to the conspicuous placement of the mirror, to arcane references in the dialogue to stuff like "you would never renege on our agreement!". And then the phone call, which was masterful I still just... Don't see ANYTHING wrong with any of it. I was laughing, fascinated, confused, and intrigued which is often how I feel watching a lot of these scenes. Maybe I was a bit bored, but whatever.

But again, as per what I'm saying, I am a bit worried that people will like... end up condemning the entire show if Cooper never comes back, and call it like "one long cocktease" or some poo poo like that. I can totally see that happening and it'd be annoying, but hopefully it'll just happen on like... reddit and twitter, not here :o:

Hmmm, yes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think I'd be too quick to heap praise on Dexter's earlier seasons. Yes, 1, 2, and 4 are worlds better than everything post-4, but at its best, it's still campy as poo poo. If that's good for people, that's fine, and even I was sucked in to it all (I really need to change my custom title, but it's a reminder of how absolutely spectacular the SA threads for each season were). But I feel that the show, even taking those seasons as individual works and not attaching them to the broken piece of televised garbage that was seasons 5-8, was never genuinely excellent. Sure it was tense and exciting, and that's pretty much all I can say about it. It is chock-full of dumb poo poo. The problem is that, after Lithgow/Trinity, nothing that wasn't dumb was remotely compelling.

I think Season 5 is only seen as good as it was because everyone watched it expecting more of the excitement from the previous season. And there was none.

I watched The Killing last year on Netflix and only vaguely remembered goons absolutely hating on it back in the day, and couldn't understand why. Sure, there were WAY too many red herrings throughout seasons 1-2, but overall, I thought it was a great show.

Also, after watching The Killing (and The Fall, another good police drama), I checked out Happy Valley and wow. That is how you do a good cop show. Short, to the point, barely any fluff, and tension out the rear end. Definitely recommend it to literally anyone who even remotely likes police/crime dramas.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

dr amp and nadine: the fucks are at it again

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

The Dale Cooper of the original show isn't coming back. Ever.

The real question is, must Cooper return at all? Maybe Dougie could beat Mr. C himself. It's not exactly hard to imagine at this point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dougie Jones is going to redeem Mr. C's soul by forcing him to drink coffee and eat cherry pie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Booper will encounter Dougie and then Dougie will just stare at him completely blankly for a while. Then Boop says "awwww gosh I just can't stay mad at you" and hooks his arm around Dougie's shoulder as he disappears back into the Lodge, defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Dougie Jones is going to redeem Mr. C's soul by forcing him to drink coffee and eat cherry pie.
This is why the Norma plotline is so important. If she gives in to the pressures of capitalism and uses cheaper ingredients, the pie won't be strong enough to purify Mr. C and he'll merge with the Black Lodge and devour the entire solar system.