Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The "but how would line infantry deal with TAGs without crits?" argument always struck me as bullshit. You're already including ways to deal with camo and smoke, bringing an AP or DA weapon isn't going to break the bank.

And without crits you are a lot less likely to randomly lose your answer to heavy armor to a lucky crit, its a win/win.

Edit: Burst 1 AP/DA and AP/EXP weapons make a lot more sense without crits.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

The "but how would line infantry deal with TAGs without crits?" argument always struck me as bullshit. You're already including ways to deal with camo and smoke, bringing an AP or DA weapon isn't going to break the bank.
Reminds me of the time someone whined about Ariadna not having anti-TAG options and got collectively shat upon. I mean what the gently caress, Irmandinhos with high CC, smokes and D-Charges, literal Galwegian hackers, Antipodes with AP claws (I still remember how those mutts dismantled an Avatar), AP HMGs out the wazoo, camo loving autocannon.

And don't get me wrong, I love crits, without them Infinity would get much more mathy and I prefer controlled chaos to that. But I'd like them to be properly costed. Or maybe we could have crits as auto-wins but without auto-wounding, you'd still have to make the ARM roll.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I like to Shinobu TAGs because I like to imagine her not looking backwards as it slowly slides in half, then explodes.

e: i hear there's idiot drama for idiots about 'slicing the pie' like it isn't one of the best and player-friendly mechanics in infinity.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, the "intent" debate again? I think it largely depends on whether your want to play cool or be an rear end in a top hat. You can play Infinity such that it's a serious loving "gotcha" game, but you don't have to. Apart from Cautious Movement and declaring AROs right on the edge of your ZOC, there's very little where fine positioning is even an issue.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ilor posted:

Oh, the "intent" debate again? I think it largely depends on whether your want to play cool or be an rear end in a top hat. You can play Infinity such that it's a serious loving "gotcha" game, but you don't have to. Apart from Cautious Movement and declaring AROs right on the edge of your ZOC, there's very little where fine positioning is even an issue.

And statements like "I'm moving my X with the intent of drawing line of sight on only your Y" speed the game and make me feel like a cool guy when i say them that knows what im doing instead of some idiot who throws ninja into close combat and wins games somehow

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Ughhjj pie slicing. It just jars that premeasuring range/move/ZoC, a critical but open piece of information, is banned, but premeasuring line of sight, a critical but open piece of information, is a ok.

I have no problem with intent, it's the bullshit back and forward Los "let me know when I have the best advantage over you please" dance that irks me.

I really wish they'd just have a 'move the dude, guess your Los, but don't actually measure till the order concludes' rule in there just like with all these other guess work points.

Or just go full premeasuring, in which case slice away.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
On another note, there's a poo poo load of talk about 'crits not being costed' but only subjective stuff out there. Let's change that.

How would you determine if 'crits are costed'? Look at the increased chance to kill of a unit with higher/lower burst and see if that scales with points? What do you guys think? I want to get some specific things to measure and do just that.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The problem with that approach is that burst is already rolled into the cost of a weapon. What you really want to look at is not damage output, but rather survivability. To see if crits are "costed" appropriately, you'd check on the receiving end.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You could just allow models with more than one wound or structure on their profile to keep their armor save against crits but ignore the cover bonus.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Ilor posted:

The problem with that approach is that burst is already rolled into the cost of a weapon. What you really want to look at is not damage output, but rather survivability. To see if crits are "costed" appropriately, you'd check on the receiving end.

Yeah, so what target? I'm also thinking higher burst = more crits, so effectively the burst of your weapon is your crit variable. Effectively heavy shotty/mk12/hmg is one axis, and arm is other maybe?
Hrmm

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

S.J. posted:

You could just allow models with more than one wound or structure on their profile to keep their armor save against crits but ignore the cover bonus.

Crits devalue ARM, not wounds. In fact, they actually enhance the value of multiple wounds. That's part of why knights see play: 2W, great BS, and not too much cost loaded into ARM. Having an extra wound means that a single lucky crit doesn't cost you a shitload of orders invested in offensive positioning. ARM just can't do the same.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 8, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My favorite crit was a crit flash from an alguicile forward observer on one of those fireteam tags onyx has.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Crits devalue ARM, not wounds. In fact, they actually enhance the value of multiple wounds. That's part of why knights see play: 2W, great BS, and not too much cost loaded into ARM. Having an extra wound means that a single lucky crit doesn't cost you a shitload of orders invested in offensive positioning. ARM just can't do the same.

How frequent are high ARM, single wound models? Or is it more about ignoring cover bonuses? And if it devalues ARM, wouldn't it similarly devalue any other defensive tech like ODD or mimetism?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 8, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

S.J. posted:

if [crits] devalue ARM, wouldn't [they] similarly devalue any other defensive tech like ODD or mimetism?

Yes, it's just that ODD/mimetism are much more powerful than ARM because they help you win f2f rolls when crits don't happen. That makes them worthwhile even with crits flying around. ARM just isn't as good because it lacks the offensive element of winning f2f rolls, yet ARM is costed as high or even higher then mimetism. IIRC mimetism is only ~3 points in CB's formula while ARM starts oddly expensive and gets even more expensive the more you have (because it gets better the more you have of it - see Jotum in cover).

ARM being so expensive would make complete sense in a world without crits, but it's pretty sketchy with crits flying around.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

S.J. posted:

How frequent are high ARM, single wound models? Or is it more about ignoring cover bonuses? And if it devalues ARM, wouldn't it similarly devalue any other defensive tech like ODD or mimetism?

ARM 3 MI are reasonably common in Aleph and the CA. There's also Ariadna's Grunts and a few others.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

S.J. posted:

No wonder my poor Mormaers don't see play beyond lists I build. Their crazy expense makes way more sense in a no crit World.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

My favorite crit was a crit flash from an alguicile forward observer on one of those fireteam tags onyx has.
I've seen that on an Avatar. But my favorite was a triple crit from a combi on Toni Macayana. Then again, the guy deserved it for bringing her to a 150pt campaign :v:

S.J. posted:

How frequent are high ARM, single wound models?
USAriadna is pretty much ARM 3: the Sectorial.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I keep forgetting that ARM 3 is pretty good :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Being 6 in cover is a nice add on to your dice. Need a 8+ to beat Dmg13 isnt so bad.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's nice when the unit in question is a 10-point grunt and an extra order (or two) spent murdering it is a wasteful investment.

It's less nice when it's a 25-30-point MI who's worth the time spent murderin'.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What was the general verdict on USARF? I've not played vs them in an actual competitive ITS environment. Nobody around here seems to bother with them. Probs because it's the UK so the USA USA USA crowd doesn't exist.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
They're alright. I've enjoyed playing and playing against them. It's been my experience that USARF rapidly turns into a delivery mechanism for Van Zant and Foxtrots, however.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That is because the only way for them to win is Foxtrot objective grabbers and the threat of Van Zant. They arent mobile enough to flank you, even with 5 man link order efficiency.

They are a good army of durable medium infantry, great camo makers, and some fun toys.

Play them if you love 'Merica, awesome miniatures, shock Werewolves, Rambo, and Matthew McConaughey.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What's the best way to deal with tr bots as aleph? I feel like if any one things been wrecking me, that's been it

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

USAriadna can't get a real camo game going like Vanilla and they don't have the firepower or the mobility of the Scotts. But their greatest weakness is that they're just so drat predictable.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

w00tmonger posted:

What's the best way to deal with tr bots as aleph? I feel like if any one things been wrecking me, that's been it

Any of the 5 million smoke grenade users and/or odd troops. TR bots usually have rather middling bs and no msv.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

Any of the 5 million smoke grenade users and/or odd troops. TR bots usually have rather middling bs and no msv.

Yeah I mean, a couple myrmidons are on my shortlist at the moment for this reason. Achilles is being painted too

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

If it's vanilla ALEPH, run a Posthuman MK2 Sniper. Those things are horrible monsters, and I love them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

That is because the only way for them to win is Foxtrot objective grabbers and the threat of Van Zant. They arent mobile enough to flank you, even with 5 man link order efficiency.

They are a good army of durable medium infantry, great camo makers, and some fun toys.

Play them if you love 'Merica, awesome miniatures, shock Werewolves, Rambo, and Matthew McConaughey.

Into the trash it goes. Much like aleph players and sj

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

:(

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I mean, a couple myrmidons are on my shortlist at the moment for this reason. Achilles is being painted too

yeah; 4 chain rifle myrmadons @ 16 points each is a loving steal given how good they are. 21 CC, Martial Arts Lvl 3, with AP weapons and the smoke mean you can use a combined order to slice and dice very easily

and yeah, Achilles is probably the best TAG in the game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

im both of those things :smith:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

our aleph player is an underhanded dirtbag so can confirm

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

also aleph is for nerds

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

S.J. posted:

im both of those things :smith:

I bought warm hordes because of your thread so you are like my forum nemesis buddy.

Got a game later vs new Tarik. If I lose ill make a whine thread but if I win it's clearly skill against the op stuff

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

also aleph is for nerds

I mean yeah, but at least it's not anime cat girls or art of the blade dudes

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

our aleph player is an underhanded dirtbag so can confirm
Well, I enjoy being an underhanded dirtbag with Haqqislam, so maybe I should look into this whole ALEPH thing...

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Ilor posted:

Well, I enjoy being an underhanded dirtbag with Haqqislam, so maybe I should look into this whole ALEPH thing...

No, as in a literal cheater.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

I bought warm hordes because of your thread so you are like my forum nemesis buddy.

Got a game later vs new Tarik. If I lose ill make a whine thread but if I win it's clearly skill against the op stuff

But both of these games are good

I just want people to have fun okay geeze ugh

Also I'm just gonna take this time to complain that Yu Jing didn't get anything new or changed from BRV (csu doesn't count shut up) and that's unfair, etc, etc

Also I'm upset that CB doesn't let you buy bits because I wanna put a ponytail on that new Daofei

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

No, as in a literal cheater.
Hey, the rear end in a top hat/cheater in our meta played vanilla Aleph too. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread