Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Perestroika posted:

Even though they're fairly big, longswords are very lightweight. Most of them weigh only like 1-1.5 kilograms, with the centre of mass close to the hilt. And a smallsword like Arya's, while being quite a bit lighter at ~0.5-0.75 kg, is still a very stiff bit of actual steel. They made a point of showing her deflecting Brienne's attacks sideways, perpendicular to the direction of the swings, rather than trying to block them head-on. That's actually reasonably doable and doesn't take all that much force.

I haven't swordfought for real but wouldn't Brienne's strength and size re: Arya mean that Arya's arm would be the breaking point, not her sword? Like if I swing a toy sword at my 6-year-old cousin he can block me fine but his tiny baby arms vs my rippling adult biceps mean he still drops his "guard," I just swat his sword out of the way.

Genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Holy poo poo the sperg on the sparring session.

1) Arya is magic
2) Brienne is not going full strength
3) Deflection vs absorbing
4) Dragons, dire wolves, the walking dead, see Point 1

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't swordfought for real but wouldn't Brienne's strength and size re: Arya mean that Arya's arm would be the breaking point, not her sword? Like if I swing a toy sword at my 6-year-old cousin he can block me fine but his tiny baby arms vs my rippling adult biceps mean he still drops his "guard," I just swat his sword out of the way.

Genuinely curious.

Even with sticks you can get banged up. Arya wasn't wearing any padding at all so there's no way Brienne could really swing at her without risking an injury. It's easier to block when your opponent is trying not to hit you. It wasn't a fair fight but Arya still did better than anyone expected.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Genuinely curious.
You might find Matt Easton interesting. He's a historical fencing instructor, and has worked as a consultant for TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxdxcy6dYs&t=655s

I've heard HEMA is getting more and more exposure in TV/film stunt teams, so hopefully the quality of choreography will generally get better and better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think part of the purpose of the fight was illustrating that not only is Arya a certified bad-rear end now, but that she is ruthless. She went into the fight knowing that Brienne wouldn't use her full force, and quickly demonstrated that she could've killed Brienne as a result. Arya wasn't training to be a fighter, she was training to be an assassin, and part of the reason she is capable of defeating bigger and more experienced foes is because she knows how to recognize and exploit their weaknesses.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the first thing Arya says in that scene is that the answer to fighting someone like Brienne is 'don't fight her'

of course the lil twiggly lady is gonna lose an actual throw-down fisticuff with the big badass of tarth

she ever needed to kill Brienne, Arya could just murder Pod before the next time he helped Brienne out of her armor, pose as him, and slit the big galumph's throat

she just wanted a little a little sparring with the best soldier left in Winterfell, and to get a good round in she needed to show Brienne that she really was fast enough to needle her eye if she fought her the way she fights Pod

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

zeal posted:

she ever needed to kill Brienne, Arya could just murder Pod before the next time he helped Brienne out of her armor, pose as him, and slit the big galumph's throat

I picture it more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYbBSPM2gk&t=395s

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Last season Arya couldn't beat up a little girl unless the lights were off. How did she become a badass sword fighter between seasons?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

Last season Arya couldn't beat up a little girl unless the lights were off. How did she become a badass sword fighter between seasons?

The waif wasn't a "little girl"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

She had unspent perk points.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Arya is the Waif it's like you aren't even paying attention

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why hasn't anyone edited in Macho Man OH YEAHS into last episode's Dragon battle scene? Internet's slacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDfTAu86qo&t=95s

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 8, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

You want to get technical, Tyrion's a good enough shot with a crossbow that he could probably end Brienne

just like Barristan Selmy can die to the knife of some slaver's brat in an alley, or mighty ol Ned Stark can end up with Littlefinger's dagger across his throat

it's been a running theme through this whole show that 'the fight' is not always to the biggest strongest badass

...did you miss the part where she trained until she could fight blind against a Faceless assassin?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, you notice Arya is focusing on the exposed parts of Brienne, her knee and face. She learned that from when she showed the Hound what she got and just jabbed him right in the breastplate which only got her a smack in the face.

I actually wonder if Maisie Williams actually did the funky breakdance get up move.

Something I realized rewatching the battle, Bronn cannot rely on his normal tricks, because the Dothraki rely on skill rather than armor. I like how the guy he was dueling cut his horse out from underneath him, because of course the Dothraki would have developed tactics to deal with other horsemen.

There is no way that one wagon full of gold was enough to pay off the entire debt to the Iron Bank, though probably a decent part of the interest.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kiimo posted:

Arya is the Waif it's like you aren't even paying attention

The Waif was Darth Vadar from Dagobagh. You must kill yourself to become nothing. She is finishing the killing and will soon be Bran levels of jerk.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

tooterfish posted:

She had unspent perk points.

Woah this makes sense. Her s5 and 6 plots sucked hard bc she was a low level, crappy rogue doing faceless quests for xp but not taking any level ups. Between unlocking the faceless class and killing Frey she dumps like 10 levels worth of skills and perks into faceless assassin.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, you notice Arya is focusing on the exposed parts of Brienne, her knee and face. She learned that from when she showed the Hound what she got and just jabbed him right in the breastplate which only got her a smack in the face.

I actually wonder if Maisie Williams actually did the funky breakdance get up move.

Something I realized rewatching the battle, Bronn cannot rely on his normal tricks, because the Dothraki rely on skill rather than armor. I like how the guy he was dueling cut his horse out from underneath him, because of course the Dothraki would have developed tactics to deal with other horsemen.

There is no way that one wagon full of gold was enough to pay off the entire debt to the Iron Bank, though probably a decent part of the interest.

I think there were many wagons of gold.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Agreed, and also it was dumb as heck watching maisie williams deflect a sword that weighs probably 2/3ds of her body weight with a rapier, I don't care how adept water dancers are at redirecting force.

I don't know jack poo poo about swords, but this guy apparently does:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/6s5zz1/everything_some_quick_insight_on_aryas_fighting/

quote:

4) I don't have an effective picture for the little sword tap she does throughout, because it's so quick and also I can't really show it without the movement. Notice on watching, though, that Arya puts no tension in her arm for this. Obviously, her sword has no hope of blocking Brienne's in any capacity. Instead, she rings Brienne's sword to take advantage of most fighters' tendency to focus more on the opponent's sword than the opponent. By tapping both sides of Brienne's sword she disorients her long enough to move in for a kill, or just redirects Brienne's sword by her own instincts.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I think part of the purpose of the fight was illustrating that not only is Arya a certified bad-rear end now, but that she is ruthless. She went into the fight knowing that Brienne wouldn't use her full force, and quickly demonstrated that she could've killed Brienne as a result. Arya wasn't training to be a fighter, she was training to be an assassin, and part of the reason she is capable of defeating bigger and more experienced foes is because she knows how to recognize and exploit their weaknesses.

This makes me wonder if the sparring scene wasn't foreshadowing a future attempt by Arya to assassinate Cersei, only to get swatted down by the Mountain. What weaknesses does a giant zombie man have?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

zeal posted:

...did you miss the part where she trained until she could fight blind against a Faceless assassin?

I saw the part where she learned to take a beating. 2 seasons of it. Did you see the hidden episode between S6 and S7 where she learned to fight?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

I saw the part where she learned to take a beating. 2 seasons of it. Did you see the hidden episode between S6 and S7 where she learned to fight?

ah, so you're being deliberately obtuse, got it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

is this it? I was wondering what the bitch fest would be about this week.

Honestly Arya not having enough training to beat Brienne is as good an argument as any. Dogshit writing, D&D hacks

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Bronn's mistake was not being as clever as he normally would be, he aimed for the man with his dagger throw instead of pulling a Daario and aiming for the horse. Throwing accurate daggers from horseback is probably really loving hard though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kiimo posted:

is this it? I was wondering what the bitch fest would be about this week.

Honestly Arya not having enough training to beat Brienne is as good an argument as any. Dogshit writing, D&D hacks

I think the river depth is an honorable mention. It should get more posts. Dodging dragon fire is an issue we didn't bring up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it weird that I'm almost as excited to see next week's sperg topic as I am to see the show itself?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lighter weapons sometimes have to use a technique where you don't actually meat the force of the other weapon, but follow it instead. You hit the attacking weapon's non-striking edge. I think this is what Arya did, but I'm not going to slow-motion it to check. This often makes the attacking weapon take a very similar path to what was originally intended, but changes that angle and timing just enough that you aren't where the attacker planned on you being during the intended contact point of the strike.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bloom posted:

Is it weird that I'm almost as excited to see next week's sperg topic as I am to see the show itself?

I unironically love this thread despite the constant digs. Maybe Jamie is flowing down the river instead of sinking in it. goddam camera tricks

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bronn isn't going to leave him to drown, not while he still owes him a loving castle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

John Brown posted:

Guys, I don't think the gold made its way to KL. Hence the title of the scene "Loot Train...". Also, as it's been noted the Iron Bank rep said "once the payment is made" or whatever.

Jesus

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it depends on what your definition of loot is is

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

zeal posted:

ah, so you're being deliberately obtuse, got it

Since the only time she got the upper hand on the Waif was when she took out the candle, I guess in your mind Arya being able to shank the Waif in the dark means she's a great sword fighter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't like seeing Arya fight like that. Mostly because her past few seasons haven't really paid off into it. We've seen her practice sword moves alone, barely beat some people alongside the monster fighter that is the Hound, and do non-combat faceless training. Apparently off-screen she became a ninja. I really wish they handled all that differently. This scene felt like payoff to a plot that didn't happen. Also having Maisie Williams do that sword twirl over and over looked dumb.

Its super nitpicky but also she really shouldn't have been able to easily parry Brienne's greatsword with her rapier like that. I get that they wanted her to look badass, but if she's specifically an assassin water dancer who fights with a rapier, the way to show she's a badass would be to have her constantly dodging Brienne's moves by moving around. She did a bit of that and it was good, and the way they both ended up tied killing each other at the same time was great, but the way she just kinda parried all these heavy blows from Brienne was just plain bogus.

Brienne is strong. Arya is not. But Arya is still a good fighter. Oh well. Sword twirls!! These are exciting!

The Walrus posted:

Agreed, and also it was dumb as heck watching maisie williams deflect a sword that weighs probably 2/3ds of her body weight with a rapier, I don't care how adept water dancers are at redirecting force.

poo poo you beat me to it, Walrus.

If she'd just been dodging around like a fencer and doing fancy footwork it'd be just as impressive, but everybody expects CLANG CLANG CLANG star wars lightsaber parries these days :(

PantsBandit posted:

Brienne wasn't trying to hurt her, even when she was taking it seriously. The difference between the two of them was that Arya could put her all into it, but Brienne had to hold back or she would've risked seriously hurting Arya. Arya's many fights with the Waif taught her how to avoid getting hit, and the Waif was significantly faster than Brienne.

It wasn't a "real" fight since Brienne couldn't go all in and Arya took full advantage of that.

Like even when Brienne caught her with the kick to the chest, you could see she had the look on her face of "oh poo poo, did I just break my ward's ribs?"

Nah, Arya definitely impressed the poo poo out of Brienne early on and you can see Brienne adjust and start giving her all. She wasn't trying to kill Arya but there's no way her sword wouldn't have any force behind it at all.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Genuinely curious.

She'd probably drop her sword off the impact of trying to parry her. Maybe she'd hold onto the sword but be deflected, she wouldn't be able to just stop the sword on a dime either way. The only solution is to move out the way unless you have an equally big sword or a shield.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 8, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Late to the party but I was 100% sure Bronns dropped coins were his "two days from retirement" moment

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Did you miss how Brienne adjusts herself halfway through the fight? Or how Arya and Brienne both finish the fight where they would have killed each other simultaneously? Arya did great because nobody expected anything of her, but in the end it was a draw. Brienne started trying harder and they finished equal to each other.

Yeah this is EXACTLY how Arya should fight. Stupid quick strike for the kill. No wasted time.

That said, she was clearly having fun with Brienne.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DBZ rules. Arya should have died from all the stab wounds to her chest, so when she survived she came back 100x stronger. Arya is half-Saiyan.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Lighter weapons sometimes have to use a technique where you don't actually meat the force of the other weapon, but follow it instead. You hit the attacking weapon's non-striking edge. I think this is what Arya did, but I'm not going to slow-motion it to check. This often makes the attacking weapon take a very similar path to what was originally intended, but changes that angle and timing just enough that you aren't where the attacker planned on you being during the intended contact point of the strike.

Nah she'd still have to move a lot for that. She straight up deflects and redirects several of Brienne's blows at full-strength.

But its not the end of the world. We've had much worse fights in GOT, that one was still very exciting and most of it was well choreographed even if we're gonna nitpick.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you miss how Brienne adjusts herself halfway through the fight? Or how Arya and Brienne both finish the fight where they would have killed each other simultaneously? Arya did great because nobody expected anything of her, but in the end it was a draw. Brienne started trying harder and they finished equal to each other.

Yeah this is EXACTLY how Arya should fight. Stupid quick strike for the kill. No wasted time.

I liked the look on Brienne's face after kicking Arya to the ground. "oh poo poo, did i just gently caress up Lady Stark's daughter in a fit of rage"

Then when Arya gets back into her feet with that badass pose, everyone else seemed to be looking like 'ohshit'.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Oh yeah, we have a few people a year die around here from these.

Hell, this was just last week (no fatalities in that one)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 8, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, Brienne did adjust halfway through the fight when she recognized that Arya was more capable than she looked. However, that was after Arya had parried her initial advance and held Needle to her throat. That's what I was saying, if Arya had been trying to kill Brienne the fight would have ended right there, before Brienne had a chance to adjust.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Yes, Brienne did adjust halfway through the fight when she recognized that Arya was more capable than she looked. However, that was after Arya had parried her initial advance and held Needle to her throat. That's what I was saying, if Arya had been trying to kill Brienne the fight would have ended right there, before Brienne had a chance to adjust.

Oh def, they were sparring.

Zaphod42 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
ALso, doesn't Dany know you never fly directly at AA guns directly, but you spiral in when attacking them to keep your angular velocity up to make it harder for them to hit you?

Noob.

• Locked thread