Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Some Bibi's going to emergency, some Bibi's going to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Good news, but seems a bit like getting Al Capone for tax evasion.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jordan MP challenges firebrand Israeli MK to a duel
Oren Hazan responds that he’ll be at Allenby Bridge border crossing at 10 a.m. to make Yahya Al-Saud ‘an offer he can’t refuse’

:suspense:

Later another MP, Talal al-Sharif, opened fire on Damissi outside the parliament building.

:stare:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Ultramega posted:

A quick glance at your probations tells me everything I need to know about how seriously you take the forum rules.

looooooolllllllll

Solemn Sloth posted:

Some Bibi's going to emergency, some Bibi's going to jail

we'll see.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 6, 2017

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Israel is moving ahead with officially ejecting Al Jazeera (both Arabic and English) from the country for reporting unfavorably on the occupation and Israel's Arab allies. The Only Democracy in the Middle East™:

quote:

Israel plans to revoke press credentials of Al Jazeera TV journalists, close their Jerusalem bureau and pull the Qatar-based station's broadcasts from local cable and satellite providers, Communications Minister Ayoub Kara said on Sunday. 

Kara accused the station of "supporting terrorism" and said cable broadcasters had agreed to his proposal to take the station's Arabic and English channels off air. Closure of the station's office would require further legislation, he added.

"Lately, almost all countries in our region determined that Al-Jazeera supports terrorism, supports religious radicalization," Kara said. "And when we see that all these countries have determined as fact that Al-Jazeera is a tool of the Islamic State [group], Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran, and we are the only one who have not determined that, then something delusional is happening here," he said.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israel is moving ahead with officially ejecting Al Jazeera (both Arabic and English) from the country for reporting unfavorably on the occupation and Israel's Arab allies. The Only Democracy in the Middle East™:

Except, Israel still having some semi-functional democratic institutions, it's not necessarily going to happen

quote:

Israel's communication minister said he requested revoking press credentials and taking the station off the air – but the bodies in charge of doing so give no indication of complying

Communications Minister Ayoub Kara convened a press conference on Sunday in which he announced a series of steps aimed at closing down Al Jazeera in Israel. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hurried to praise Kara on Twitter, writing that his minister had “taken several practical steps to block Al Jazeera’s incitement against Israel.” In fact, none of the steps mentioned by Kara have any practical implications: in practice, Al Jazeera will continue to broadcast as usual.

Kara’s first step was to call on the Government Press Office to revoke the credentials of Al Jazeera employees working in Israel. However, such revocation is not under the minister or the Press Office’s purview. For this to take place, the security serves would need to make a recommendation to revoke the credentials. GPO Director Nitzan Chen clarified, “According to our procedures, such permits are denied only when the director, after consulting security agencies, believes that they would endanger national security.”
“I have contacted these agencies, asking for a professional opinion regarding Al Jazeera” said Chen. He added that he would wait for their comments, and even then, credentials would not be revoked without an orderly hearing, as specified by regulations.

Kara is also trying to get cable and satellite companies to remove Al Jazeera broadcasts. The minister said that he had directly approached cable and satellite companies and that these “had expressed their willingness to consider blacking out Al Jazeera broadcasts.” Howerver, these companies have not publicly declared their willingness to do so.

Yes commented, “The authority to take down or launch channels is the Council for Cable TV and Satellite Broadcasting's, and if it holds a discussion and hearing on this matter after which it decides to order the removal of this channel, we’ll comply.” That council directly supervises Hot and Yes, but sources there say that they have not been part of the process and that the matter is not on their agenda. Hot responded that they had received the minister’s request and were looking into the matter.

Most Al Jazeera viewers in Israel's Arab sector don’t watch its broadcasts through national cable or satellite companies, but through private satellite dishes that receive hundreds of channels from Arab countries. Israeli authorities have no control over these channels. Despite this, Kara declared that he had “contacted other agencies, requesting the limiting of broadcasting this network on open satellite, which serves most viewers in the Arab sector.” He did not specify whom he had contacted.

A further step Kara mentioned was his appeal to Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, asking him to use his authority to close Al Jazeera’s offices in Israel. The Public Security Ministry said that this should be brought to the Israel Police, not to them. The police, in turn, evaded responsibility for dealing with Kara's request, commenting, "You must check with the Public Security Ministry or the Communications Ministry."

Turns out it's nothing but كَلَام فَاضٍ, perhaps an attempt to distract from Netanyahu's declining public image as police is getting closer to indict him.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Turns out it's nothing but كَلَام فَاضٍ, perhaps an attempt to distract from Netanyahu's declining public image as police is getting closer to indict him.
Bibi's kind of paralleling Trump at the moment in that he lacks the political backing or popular support to successfully obstruct the investigation and prosecution, right? What can we expect happens in the wake of an indictment?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cugel the Clever posted:

Bibi's kind of paralleling Trump at the moment in that he lacks the political backing or popular support to successfully obstruct the investigation and prosecution, right? What can we expect happens in the wake of an indictment?

Well, the Israeli system is way less executive-heavy, so his ability to stop himself from getting indicted is not that great (see Olmert), and his ability to govern while under indictment is dependent on support from his party and coalition partners. Granted, he is polarizing enough that the people supporting him support him blindly, but other senior ministers and members of Knesset who see themselves as prime minister material could see this as their opportunity to finally move him aside.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

"Lately, almost all countries in our region determined that Al-Jazeera supports terrorism, supports religious radicalization," Kara said. "And when we see that all these countries have determined as fact that Al-Jazeera is a tool of the Islamic State [group], Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran, and we are the only one who have not determined that, then something delusional is happening here,"

"Most Arab countries hate this entity, so they must be bad guys" is probably not a line of argument Israel should be encouraging.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I found an interesting article from back when the religious fanatic European colonialist racist apartheid state of Israel's main enemies were leftists and secularists. the guy who designed the logo for the PFLP, Vladimir Tamari, died very recently, from his bio he seems like a loving genius and a good artist working in both art and in optics and science.

http://vladimirtamari.com/banipal.html

http://vladimirtamari.com/physicsandmath.html

more pertinently, he had an article about how he came up with the design for the PFLP logo and how the great Palestinian spokesman Ghassan Kanafani adjusted it to become what it is today.

http://vladimirtamari.com/pflp-logo.html

Rest in peace. what a goddamn shame that a good and intelligent man had to live and die driven away from his home by a bunch of racist ISIS apartheid neanderthals.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Al-Saqr if you could get your hands on a Jew racist ISIS apartheid neanderthal what would you do to him/her?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Just to be clear for myself: KJI's quote on the previous page is a Bill Clinton quote commenting on his opinion of the terms offered at the Camp David talks and his opinion on what happened at the Taba talks at which he wasn't present or involved in at all and Araftat's reasons for rejecting those terms. Is that right? Cause people were talking about a Clinton quote and the one he posted is unattributed so I'm guessing it's the 'ubiquitous' one that's so well known he didn't need to actually quote before?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sarah Netanyahu is getting indicted, according to some news sources in Israel. Probably within the next couple of days.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Lady Morgaga posted:

Jew racist ISIS apartheid neanderthal

Do you have an idea of what any of those words mean?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Do you have an idea of what any of those words mean?

I know what they mean separately. What they mean in combination why dont you ask Al-Saqr.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lady Morgaga posted:

I know what they mean separately. What they mean in combination why dont you ask Al-Saqr.

racist: believes in the superiority of one race over another. c.f. current government opinion on Palestinian "cockroaches" I'd say that's a given

apartheid: believes in a state defined by the denial of legal rights of citizens based on race, attempt at denying subjects franchise by separating them into bantustans. see above.

ISIS: little tricky, but in context? believes in an ethnostate defined by a religious law dictating their absolute sovereignty over territory based on holy books, and the necessity of killing all who oppose them in this holy mission. in addition, believes no degree of criminality or butchery is forbidden in the name of accomplishing this goal. see above, coupled with the Likud founding document, which proclaims so long as anything calling itself a Palestine exists in the Levant, Israel cannot be safe.

neanderthal: the biggest stretch of the lot, but colloquially, synonymous with the outmoded relics of a dead age. see South Africa, Nation Of.

reads pretty clearly to me, friend.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

racist: believes in the superiority of one race over another. c.f. current government opinion on Palestinian "cockroaches" I'd say that's a given

apartheid: believes in a state defined by the denial of legal rights of citizens based on race, attempt at denying subjects franchise by separating them into bantustans. see above.

ISIS: little tricky, but in context? believes in an ethnostate defined by a religious law dictating their absolute sovereignty over territory based on holy books, and the necessity of killing all who oppose them in this holy mission. in addition, believes no degree of criminality or butchery is forbidden in the name of accomplishing this goal. see above, coupled with the Likud founding document, which proclaims so long as anything calling itself a Palestine exists in the Levant, Israel cannot be safe.

neanderthal: the biggest stretch of the lot, but colloquially, synonymous with the outmoded relics of a dead age. see South Africa, Nation Of.

This guy gets it. Also several Arab experts on ISIS sifted through their literature & saw that ISIS was inspired by Israel in the sense of creating a country with a mass importation of foreigners from around the world to form its population with just the religious fanatical ideology to tie them together. Which was why ISIS was so keen to call for as many misguided assholes and victims of grooming from around the world to move to their state, which is also why ISIS is making muslims lives in the west and elsewhere a living nightmare with terrorist attacks and the racist backlash it would inspire would drive foreign muslims to become alienated and join them, this was a playbook directly ripped from the Zionsits when they were forming that state built on completely unrelated people and actively destabilized the lives of middle eastern Jews to provoke a a racist backlash and force them to join their side.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Ze Pollack posted:

Thanks. Although judging by Al-Saqr's history I doubt he means practically every muslim country.

Al-Saqr posted:

This guy gets it. Also several Arab experts on ISIS sifted through their literature & saw that ISIS was inspired by Israel in the sense of creating a country with a mass importation of foreigners from around the world to form its population with just the religious fanatical ideology to tie them together. Which was why ISIS was so keen to call for as many misguided assholes and victims of grooming from around the world to move to their state, which is also why ISIS is making muslims lives in the west and elsewhere a living nightmare with terrorist attacks and the racist backlash it would inspire would drive foreign muslims to become alienated and join them, this was a playbook directly ripped from the Zionsits when they were forming that state built on completely unrelated people and actively destabilized the lives of middle eastern Jews to provoke a a racist backlash and force them to join their side.
And I seem to be correct. No Al-Saqr Israel didnt make Arab World turn itself into Judenrein.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Congrats pro-occupation folk, you've finally got a clearcut example of conspiratorial Antisemitism in the thread. Pretty sure the vast majority of us who want an end to the Occupation and Israel's abhorrent policies reject this out of hand. If someone can report him, this probably deserves a long cooling off period.

Al Saqr, you're intelligent enough to know that your country (Saudi Arabia) is hosed, so it's disappointing to see you buying into such bullshit explanations for why Arab countries are blameless when it comes to ISIS.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
*Looks into thread*

Uhm... okay, so while this is all very fascinating perhaps you guys would like to learn that for the first time ever Israel has stripped the citizenship off of an Israeli-Arab for his participation in a terror attack.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/israel-moves-strip-alaa-zayud-citizenship-170807095612959.html

This is Alaa Zayoud who ran over a group of soldiers and civilians in a bus stop and then proceeded to jump out of his car and stab one of the soldiers. There were some interesting discussions about the criminal intent of his actions itt at the time.

Additionally, there's also some poo poo with Bibi, Sarah and their criminal investigations, Sarah is supposed to go on trial for embezzling hundreds of thousands of shekels and one of Bibi's confidants has agreed to become a state witness in exchange for testifying against Netanyahu - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/06/world/middleeast/benjamin-netanyahu-israel-corruption-case.html

But uhm, yeah, so did Israeli ISIS soldiers shoot that old man in the fake video? I'm confused.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Does he have any other nationality? I think even Israel wouldn't get as far as to make him a refugee.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

Does he have any other nationality? I think even Israel wouldn't get as far as to make him a refugee.

Nope. He's an Israeli national.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nope. He's an Israeli national.

Wow, so, uh, can he seek asylum in Israel? Like, where is he supposed to go?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

Wow, so, uh, can he seek asylum in Israel? Like, where is he supposed to go?

Well he'll likely spend the next decade or two in prison as he's accused of four counts of attempted murder, as this is pretty unprecedented I think it's anyone's guess as to what'll happen afterwards.

I don't think that the PA will grant him citizenship as it's more prudent for them politically to keep this hot potato in Israel's hands.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Congrats pro-occupation folk, you've finally got a clearcut example of conspiratorial Antisemitism in the thread. Pretty sure the vast majority of us who want an end to the Occupation and Israel's abhorrent policies reject this out of hand. If someone can report him, this probably deserves a long cooling off period.

Al Saqr, you're intelligent enough to know that your country (Saudi Arabia) is hosed, so it's disappointing to see you buying into such bullshit explanations for why Arab countries are blameless when it comes to ISIS.

Wait what? How is me pointing out how ISIS looked at Israels formation and methods as an inspiration for itself either a conspiratorial, shifting the blame or antisemitic? What are you a loving idiot?

1) me pointing out anti terrorist experts correlating of methods and brutalist plans of attack used by the Israelis to form their state is not antisemitic,

2) it's a matter of historical fact that the zionists ACTIVELY targeted Arab Jews and destabilized their lives in their home countries very similarly to the way ISIS does to European and American muslims to make their case.you would really have to be an ahistorical bozo to not know about this.

3) much like how ISIS derives its talent and strength from importing and recruiting people from around the world, people who had no business flying over to the Middle East to kill and oppress people, the exact same way that Israel to this very day derives new talent and recruitment pools and massive amounts of funding from.

How the gently caress is any of this, at all either shifting the blame away from Arab countries who helped Israel by reacting to Israeli provocation with anti Semitic policies ( to which I fully condemn) or an antisemitic screed against the Jewish people as a whole? Are you guys nuts?

But hey listen dude if the half baked opinions of a fat useless person like me is what'll make you not stand up for human rights freedom and democracy and walk in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela then ok that's your choice I guess.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait what? How is me pointing out how ISIS looked at Israels formation and methods as an inspiration for itself either a conspiratorial or antisemitic? What are you a loving idiot?

1) me pointing out anti terrorist exports correlating of methods and brutalist plans of attack used by the Israelis to form their state is not antisemitic,

2) it's a matter of historical fact that the zionists ACTIVELY targeted Arab Jews and destabilized their lives in their home countries very similarly to the way ISIS does to European and American muslims to make their case.you would really have to be an ahistorical bozo to not know about this.

3) much like how ISIS derives its talent and strength from importing and recruiting people from around the world, people who had no business flying over to the Middle East to kill and oppress people, the exact same way that Israel to this very day derives new talent and recruitment pools from.

How the gently caress is any of this, at all either shifting the blame away from Arab countries who helped Israel by reacting to Israeli provocation with anti Semitic policies ( to which I fully condemn) or an antisemitic screed against the Jewish people as a whole? Are you guys nuts?

Israel isn't exactly the only country guilty of ethnic cleansing, and recruiting people from abroad isn't such a unique strategy that it makes sense to assume it was copied from Israel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Israel isn't exactly the only country guilty of ethnic cleansing, and recruiting people from abroad isn't such a unique strategy that it makes sense to assume it was copied from Israel.

Of course, there are tons of ethnic cleansers in the Middle East unfortunately, two criminals doesnt mean one is better than the other.

To the second point, I'm really having a hard time coming up with another country that required a mass importation of people from around the world, that markets itself as the sole representative of other countries citizens, and regularly hands out hundreds of thousands of passports and thousands of condos to people to incentivize them to move there on the bones of other people, that carries on to this very day. That's the part the anti terrorism experts said that ISIS pointed at as the inspiration it got from the Zionist movement.

In any case it's clear that people are mad that I relayed this matter of fact and decided to call it an anti Semitic screed or whatever, so imma peace out for a while.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 8, 2017

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

There are things that can be reproached here but it's pretty goddamn cynical to call that conspiratorial antisemitism. See also; the DSA overwhelmingly voting in favor of BDS and individual members getting harrassed online and accused of antisemitism.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Are you claiming

Ultramega posted:

There are things that can be reproached here but it's pretty goddamn cynical to call that conspiratorial antisemitism. See also; the DSA overwhelmingly voting in favor of BDS and individual members getting harrassed online and accused of antisemitism.

I think he's calling it conspiratorial antisemitism because the other poster was implying that the riots and pogroms that rippled through many Jewish communities in the Muslim world following WWII and the founding of Israel were some lifehack that Mossad cooked up to trick all of them into being Zionist and moving to Israel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Last Buffalo posted:

Are you claiming

I think he's calling it conspiratorial antisemitism because the other poster was implying that the riots and pogroms that rippled through many Jewish communities in the Muslim world following WWII and the founding of Israel were some lifehack that Mossad cooked up to trick all of them into being Zionist and moving to Israel.

Lol ok then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavon_Affair

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950%9651_Baghdad_bombings

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ben-Gurions-Scandals-Haganah-Mossad-Eliminated/dp/1893302407

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/iraqi-jews-reject-cynical-manipulation-their-history-israel-zionists-writer-almog

Let me say this, although these actions by Israel are reprehensible, it in no way excuses the antisemitic backlash it caused, from the military fascists and from the nations under British colonial rule at the time.it was a giant strategic and moral error by the military fascists in the region. if you ask me, once the Arab world frees itself from fascism and oppression and the dream of freedom and democracy is achieved every Arab Jew should receive reparations, full freedoms and the option to return to their homes the same way palestinians do. The story of our failure towards the Arab Jews is the same failure towards minority rights in general, but take note however, that israels best friends and biggest enablers and defenders in the region have always been the most rightwing, racist and antisemitic of the lot.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 8, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ISIS' Holocaust denial is probably why they are wondering how Israel managed to get so many foreign Jews to immigrate and fight for their new state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

*Looks into thread*

Uhm... okay, so while this is all very fascinating perhaps you guys would like to learn that for the first time ever Israel has stripped the citizenship off of an Israeli-Arab for his participation in a terror attack.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/israel-moves-strip-alaa-zayud-citizenship-170807095612959.html

This is Alaa Zayoud who ran over a group of soldiers and civilians in a bus stop and then proceeded to jump out of his car and stab one of the soldiers. There were some interesting discussions about the criminal intent of his actions itt at the time.

Additionally, there's also some poo poo with Bibi, Sarah and their criminal investigations, Sarah is supposed to go on trial for embezzling hundreds of thousands of shekels and one of Bibi's confidants has agreed to become a state witness in exchange for testifying against Netanyahu - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/06/world/middleeast/benjamin-netanyahu-israel-corruption-case.html

But uhm, yeah, so did Israeli ISIS soldiers shoot that old man in the fake video? I'm confused.

Have there been any other examples of punitive revocation of citizenship? The only one that's coming to mind is... well... the Nuremberg Laws. I mean, I know that a number of countries have narrowly-defined citizenship, but I really can't think of any other cases of removing it from someone who has it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Have there been any other examples of punitive revocation of citizenship? The only one that's coming to mind is... well... the Nuremberg Laws. I mean, I know that a number of countries have narrowly-defined citizenship, but I really can't think of any other cases of removing it from someone who has it.

Canada passed laws several years ago that allow revocation of citizenship for dual nationals, if convicted of a serious crime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Canada passed laws several years ago that allow revocation of citizenship for dual nationals, if convicted of a serious crime.

Not quite the same thing, though, because it's specifically for people who won't be left stateless afterwards. It's the enforced statelessness that makes this exceptional.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That's the rub, the UK has those laws as well for terror related offence, but it only applies to people with dual nationality, or that are eligible for another one since leaving a person stateless is against international law.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol ok then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavon_Affair

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950%9651_Baghdad_bombings

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ben-Gurions-Scandals-Haganah-Mossad-Eliminated/dp/1893302407

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/iraqi-jews-reject-cynical-manipulation-their-history-israel-zionists-writer-almog

Let me say this, although these actions by Israel are reprehensible, it in no way excuses the antisemitic backlash it caused, from the military fascists and from the nations under British colonial rule at the time.it was a giant strategic and moral error by the military fascists in the region. if you ask me, once the Arab world frees itself from fascism and oppression and the dream of freedom and democracy is achieved every Arab Jew should receive reparations, full freedoms and the option to return to their homes the same way palestinians do. The story of our failure towards the Arab Jews is the same failure towards minority rights in general, but take note however, that israels best friends and biggest enablers and defenders in the region have always been the most rightwing, racist and antisemitic of the lot.

Are you saying that these two attacks, one of which isn't credibly connected to Israel in the link you provided, are the caused the exodus of Jews from Muslim states? There were numerous pogroms, riots, and government actions that targeted Jews well before these two incidents. Are all of them engineered by Fascist leadership? Some of these attacks, like the earlier riots and attacks in Egypt, rose out of populist circles like the Muslim Brotherhood and were opposed and put down by the authoritarians running the government. These were not invented by Mossad. Arab nationalism removed a lot of the social space that Jews occupied in places like Iraq and Egypt, whether they were Zionist or not. The story of the Jews leaving the Middle East is not about one or two incidents, but of a large social shift that made Jewish communities in many places politically and socially untenable.

This doesn't excuse a Sephardi Jew to take land from a Palestinian, or keep them under a state of oppression, but you're wrong to claim they fled because of a plot by Mossad to destroy their community and not, say, a popular shift in opinion against them.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I actually recall a few segments in the gun and the olive branch that specifically talked about how mossad terrorized the jewish community of baghdad in order to increase the amount of jews willing to immigrate to the newly independent israel. This is just common sense. The levant has always been composed of these extremely cliqueish, closed groups who commit massacres and counter-massacres on eachother and jews aren't exactly in any way a numerical superiority to anybody except maybe zoroastrians or members of the religion rainn wilson is a part of. Again it requires a very cynical outlook to overlook something as simple as like, the fact that there weren't nearly enough jews living in israel to carry out the expansion projects ben-gurion wanted to undertake and it would require a lot of social engineering and some good old fashioned hatemongering to draw them in. Consider before the state of israel was formed, the state with the largest number of jews was iraq. This isn't really controversial.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Seriously? Finally clearcut example? This thread is, and always was, full of lazily barely hidden antisemitism. From various blood libels to blaming [c]Jews[/c] Israel for every problem in the world. This is thread that thinks that stabbing in image of Arab to be much worse then stabbing living Jew.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Ultramega posted:

I actually recall a few segments in the gun and the olive branch that specifically talked about how mossad terrorized the jewish community of baghdad in order to increase the amount of jews willing to immigrate to the newly independent israel. This is just common sense. The levant has always been composed of these extremely cliqueish, closed groups who commit massacres and counter-massacres on eachother and jews aren't exactly in any way a numerical superiority to anybody except maybe zoroastrians or members of the religion rainn wilson is a part of. Again it requires a very cynical outlook to overlook something as simple as like, the fact that there weren't nearly enough jews living in israel to carry out the expansion projects ben-gurion wanted to undertake and it would require a lot of social engineering and some good old fashioned hatemongering to draw them in. Consider before the state of israel was formed, the state with the largest number of jews was iraq. This isn't really controversial.

Iraq had a few hundred thousand. America had about 5 million.

What you're arguing isn't "common sense" because it's not reflecting what actually happened. Zionists in these communities did push for immigration and support for Israel,and in some limited cases, committed attacks to terrorize people into moving. Still, there were sizable, and in many cases, majority portions of the Jewish communities in these areas that were not Zionist and suffered under increasingly anti-Jewish public sentiment. Jews were kicked out of the civil service in Egypt and Iraq, and the Muslim brotherhood organized a broad boycott of all Jewish businesses. This wasn't because they worked for Mossad. It's because there was extremely negative popular sentiment against Jews, not just Zionists, following WWII and then even more so the war of 1948.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhud

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_Anti-Jewish_riots_in_Egypt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_anti-Jewish_riots_in_Aleppo

All of these are populist events that were followed by a marked drop in social and political access by Jews in their respective countries. It is one thing to say Zionists took advantage of this sentiment to recruit people to come to Israel, which they surely did. It's a whole other thing to claim it was instigated as a part of some master plan by Ben-Gurion for grunt labor in building his Zionist state.