Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
did I just watch someone die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pizdec posted:

No. They just sent him to a farm upstate where he can run around in the fields and chase jews to his heart's content.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pizdec posted:

what exactly were you expecting when you watched a video with the words "died in the middle of a speech" in the description?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm kind of having the same reaction though. That was real? I'm trying not to laugh for some reason.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good riddance though, it's fuckholes like these that give hating Russia a bad reputation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Wonder if he was actually in UPA, or just liked the hat (no way anyone from Sichevy Streltsy --- which UPA ripped those of from --- is still around)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Now, if the same thing could happen to the Nazis on the Russian side...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They'd need to hold snap elections?

:rimshot:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kekekela posted:

I'm kind of having the same reaction though. That was real? I'm trying not to laugh for some reason.
It's happened before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0sZryHnMM

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4332102/Migrant-hunter-buys-helicopter-round-jihadis.html

Migrant hunter buys himself an armed helicopter to round up ‘potential jihadis’ after ‘being given immunity by Bulgarian government’

quote:

Dinko Valev, 29, gained notoriety last year for hunting down migrants in Bulgaria
He has now purchased a helicopter gunship which he will use in his patrols
Valev, who is reportedly backed by the Bulgarian government, claims all migrants are 'potential jihadis'
By Mail Online Reporter

A migrant hunter who has had a bounty put on his head by ISIS has now bought himself a helicopter gunship to help patrol on the look-out for 'potential jihadis'.

Dinko Valev, 29, made a name for himself last year after posting internet videos of himself chasing down immigrants who fled into Bulgaria from neighbouring Turkey and war-torn Syria.

The former semi-professional wrestler was shown chasing terrified migrants through woodlands along with other armed vigilantes.

Dinko Valev (pictured left) has now got his hands on a helicopter gunship (right) which he is threatening to use in his anti-migrant patrols

The films showed women and children forced to cower on the forest floor while the men were made to lie on their stomachs with their hands tied behind their backs.

But he became a hero to some Bulgarians and the government in Sofia has reportedly given him their support and helped him acquire two military amphibious troop carriers.

Now he has got his hands on a military helicopter, believed to have formerly belonged to either the Bulgarian or Russian air force.

Bulgaria's populist President, Rumen Radev, is a former Major General in the Bulgarian air force.

Dinko Valev's private army of vigilantes also have two amphibious troop carriers (one of which he is pictured sitting on)

It is unclear if Valev will fly the chopper himself but he wrote: 'We are ready to go' next to a video clip of him with the machine.

It is unclear if the helicopter, which has a large machine gun at the front and rocket housings on either wing, is actually operational.

Valev, who lives in Yambol, close to the Turkish border, has claimed every refugee is a potential jihadi and last year ISIS reportedly put a $50,000 (Ł38,000) bounty on his head.

Critics say Valev is a racist thug but his supporters say he is defending the country's borders

Valev claims every refugee is a potential jihadist and once described his hunts, saying: 'I would describe it as simply a sporting activity. You can't describe sportsmen as violent.'

Six months ago he used social media to show off his brand-new Ł180,000 Mercedes S-Class Coupe and thanked his 'supporters' for making it possible.

Valev has shrugged off an investigation by prosecutors for inciting racial hatred, which could put him in jail.

State prosecutors in Yambol and nearby Sredets are reportedly investigating complaints that Valev and his men encouraged discrimination against migrants.

He is also being asked to explain how he has apparently become hugely wealthy on the back of his manhunt expeditions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaltyJesus posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4332102/Migrant-hunter-buys-helicopter-round-jihadis.html

Migrant hunter buys himself an armed helicopter to round up ‘potential jihadis’ after ‘being given immunity by Bulgarian government’

:eyepop:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hopefully he will soon die as his copter crashes.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Inshallah.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Vice President Mike Pence is in Estonia today :toot:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/891609759710928896

Georgia and Montenegro are also on the travel itinerary.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Doesn't Bulgaria house the largest Muslim minority in the EU while being pretty much free of terrorism, and is the prime example of why this line of xenophobic thinking is completely nuts?

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 31, 2017

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Pizdec posted:

Doesn't Bulgaria house the largest Muslim minority in the EU while being pretty much free of terrorism, and is the prime example of why this line of xenophobic thinking is completely nuts?

They're muslim Slavs tho, and those that weren't got either thoroughly expelled or thoroughly assimilated. Pretty easy to compartmentalize that.

e: Oh, and the Turks, but they also got expelled quite a bit around the Balkan wars.

ee: Lowkey institutional religious intolerance is also a thing, I was told that it's important to write "Christian" as your confession on some gov't forms if you want the processing of your request to go smoothly.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 31, 2017

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

They're muslim Slavs tho, and those that weren't got either thoroughly expelled or thoroughly assimilated. Pretty easy to compartmentalize that.

e: Oh, and the Turks, but they also got expelled quite a bit around the Balkan wars.

ee: Lowkey institutional religious intolerance is also a thing, I was told that it's important to write "Christian" as your confession on some gov't forms if you want the processing of your request to go smoothly.
No by far the the largest group of Muslims are those that are of Turkish descent. They are also, coincidentally, the largest of the of non-Orthodox. So they are a triple-minority, in the sense that they are ethnically not Bulgarian, are not even Christian, and still commonly speak their own language.

There's a lot of politicians in Bulgaria who make their living by demonizing the Turkish minority. What is really worrying is that there is a sizable amount of "mainstream" politicians who don't encourage this directly, but they also don't actively oppose it. Valev may be the loudest one, but he's not the only one, and a lot of people in the police (and in the electorate) are sympathetic to their stunts.

This also has the added bonus of making the Turkish minority open to messaging from equally hateful discourse from their side, often funded with money from Turkey.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

No by far the the largest group of Muslims are those that are of Turkish descent. They are also, coincidentally, the largest of the of non-Orthodox. So they are a triple-minority, in the sense that they are ethnically not Bulgarian, are not even Christian, and still commonly speak their own language.

There's a lot of politicians in Bulgaria who make their living by demonizing the Turkish minority. What is really worrying is that there is a sizable amount of "mainstream" politicians who don't encourage this directly, but they also don't actively oppose it. Valev may be the loudest one, but he's not the only one, and a lot of people in the police (and in the electorate) are sympathetic to their stunts.

This also has the added bonus of making the Turkish minority open to messaging from equally hateful discourse from their side, often funded with money from Turkey.

Yeah, Turks are the most numerous. The edit was because I hadn't even considered them at first :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the 80s Bulgarian Turks were subject of, as the article below puts it, "one of Europe's largest refugee flows since World War II" due to government's harsh assimilation policies, so yeah, Bulgaria doesn't have a stellar record on minorities

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/15/world/flow-of-turks-leaving-bulgaria-swells-to-hundreds-of-thousands.html?pagewanted=all

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ir1oN_8sIg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Poland stirred some poo poo up again with a competition to select background illustrations for their new passports. This is the leading option at the moment:

It's the Gate of Dawn, located in... Vilnius. I don't know the historical background but

wikipedia' posted:

It was built between 1503 and 1522 as a part of defensive fortifications for the city of Vilnius, the capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It has also been known as the Medininkai Gate, as it led to the village Medininkai south of Vilnius as well as Aštra broma, which derivative for the Lithuanian language word aštra meaning sharp.[1] Of the nine city gates, only the Gate of Dawn remains, while the others were destroyed by the order of the government at the end of the 18th century.

The other one supposedly was a cemetery of Polish soldiers in Lvov, though it seems that they might have taken that one down already. Ukraine obviously wasn't particularly amused.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Do we need to send more troops to Lithuania to protect them from Polish Green Men now?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

mobby_6kl posted:

located in... Vilnius. I don't know the historical background but

Just google "Wilno nasze". While we're at it, Trst je naš! :tito:

e: the non-goony reply is that Eastern Lithuania/Western Belarus have significant Polish minorities dating quite a bit back and the Vilnius region, the city of Vilnius in particular, were heavily polish (you have some censuses in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_the_Vilnius_region)

% of Poles

# of Poles

(Vilnius in darkest blue on the second map)

Similar story for Lviv, the city itself used to be vastly majority Polish as recently as WW2 iirc. while the surrounding countryside was more Ukrainian populated

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 8, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently Poland stirred some poo poo up again with a competition to select background illustrations for their new passports. This is the leading option at the moment:

It's the Gate of Dawn, located in... Vilnius. I don't know the historical background but

The other one supposedly was a cemetery of Polish soldiers in Lvov, though it seems that they might have taken that one down already. Ukraine obviously wasn't particularly amused.

That website is biased against Americans. It's says I'm blocked. :saddowns:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the biggest things that seem to trigger Polish folk these days?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Depending on the political option you represent - either saying that the rulling party is cool and good or saying it isn't.

"Polish Death Camps" is also a long-time favorite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

I haven't tried insulting John Paul II in a group of Poles, but you are welcome to give it a shot and let me know what happens.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't tried insulting John Paul II in a group of Poles, but you are welcome to give it a shot and let me know what happens.
Yep, still works like a charm.

If the crowd is older, or seems leaning to the right: just shout "John Paul II raped little kids" out loud. Be aware that if you misjudge the audience, you might inadvertently get embroiled in the highly illegal meme underground. If unsure, try probing the crowd with "well, actually, I think the decision to launch the Warsaw Uprising was a tactical/strategical/political/ethical [choose one] mistake". Another way to get cheap heat is to insert the word "gender" as an adjective before random words.

With a liberal crowd, try freestylin' some truther bullshit about Smoleńsk, or if you're going for an achievement - try finding the most obscure, niche and inconsequential piece of legislation passed in the past year and try arguing PiS had done something right for once.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
John Paul II was a guard at a Polish Death Camp, where he raped little kids.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
... and stole my cigs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He was secretly a Russian Communist.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What kind of foreigners do Poles find most untrustworthy?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's with these questions?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rinkles posted:

I'm rather curious in figuring out the prejudices of more authoritarian european countries' populaces. That and I remember that racist polish edit of a microsoft add, so I figured something was up: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/26/microsofts-ad-in-poland-p_n_269366.html

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

My guess based on nothing but the most obvious of stereotypes would be a poor male Russian gay muslim with brown complexion and a thick beard. I assume he score some kind of bonus points if he is an air traffic controller too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Those who came from elsewhere.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Jews, Russians, Germans, French, Brits, Spaniards, Italians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Greeks, Albanians, Swedes, Norwegians, Arabs (the term includes all nonwhite Muslims), Africans (they're all the same anyway), Asians (same as Africans), Americans (the USA kind), Americans (all other kinds) and the Polish.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rinkles posted:

He asked these sorts of bullshit questions in the military history thread too. It's for some dumb alt-history CYOA game he wants to write.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Zudgemud posted:

My guess based on nothing but the most obvious of stereotypes would be a poor male Russian gay muslim with brown complexion and a thick beard. I assume he score some kind of bonus points if he is an air traffic controller too.

the fact that you didn't say "gypsy" betrays that you're most likely not from Europe :v:

this answer hold true throughout literally all of europe from iberia to carpathia, from sicily to scandinavia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SaltyJesus posted:

the fact that you didn't say "gypsy" betrays that you're most likely not from Europe :v:

this answer hold true throughout literally all of europe from iberia to carpathia, from sicily to scandinavia

But, you see, they are not foreigners, they are just the reviled ever present and untrustworthy locals that have always been there. Much like the jews...

Being serious for a bit here, I honestly don't think most of the rabidly nationalistic racists in Europe would be as uncomfortable with the immigration of well established "bad PR" minorities as with new minorities with equally bad PR.