Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This thread is pretty much the least toxic place to discuss R&M on the internet, currently. Rick and Morty Schwiftposting is nuts right now, and the subreddit is only marginally better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The thread is worse during the episodes. Hey, dip out for a while and want to discuss the show that aired yesterday? Here's ten pages of white noise posts repeating a line from the episode!

Close the thread and keep it closed is what I'm saying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RandomFerret posted:

The thread is worse during the episodes. Hey, dip out for a while and want to discuss the episode that just aired? Here's ten pages of white noise posts repeating a line from the episode!

On the other hand, y'know, it's kind of cool having a place on the internet where people aren't aggressively making GBS threads on the show solely because women are writing it

(And I'm not assuming anything, the idiots on Schwiftposting are directly saying they feel betrayed by the show because they hired women to write episodes)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Alternatively, feel free to not read the thread and :frogout:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can you imagine being enough of a small-brained ninny that you literally get mad when a show you like hires women to write for them? A show where half the cast are female and both main female characters are being pulled into more important, central roles? How utterly brokebrained and sad is your garbage life and your terrible views?

I think Rick & Morty has told the stories it needs to tell about Rick & Morty going on adventures together, and Picklerick is certainly a swan song in terms of zany sci-fi antics taken to the extreme. I think for Dr. Wong's assessment of Rick and Beth to have come so early we are probably going to get more Summer/Morty vs Rick/Beth plotlines this season, and I hope Jerry fits in to this somewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry's voice actor is getting busier and has less time for the show.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Don't be a giant baby and close the thread in between that's just goofy, savor the really stupid posts people make and discuss between here and now

This is like hardly the worst thread or a thread that needs something like that

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Meanwhile, a snippet from episode 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxza1NZeGk

drat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(And I'm not assuming anything, the idiots on Schwiftposting are directly saying they feel betrayed by the show because they hired women to write episodes)

:staredog:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bust Rodd posted:

Can you imagine being enough of a small-brained ninny that you literally get mad when a show you like hires women to write for them? A show where half the cast are female and both main female characters are being pulled into more important, central roles? How utterly brokebrained and sad is your garbage life and your terrible views?

It's reeeeeal easy for certain people to see Rick as a libertarian/MRA role model. He don't give no fucks, he refuses to recognize any authority except himself, when the women in his life get messed up he just replaces them ...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's reeeeeal easy for certain people to see Rick as a libertarian/MRA role model. He don't give no fucks, he refuses to recognize any authority except himself, when the women in his life get messed up he just replaces them ...

Yeah, this is pretty much it. People didn't quite get that Rick isn't supposed to be a fuckin' role model.

There's also a distressing number of people who didn't realize that Jerry is also a bad person, and that he's supposed to be the universe's punching bag.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Suuuuuuure, but Libertarianism isn't (or at least wasn't before the last couple years) grounded in misogyny, it just attracts the kind of people who'd rather bark orders than take them. The overlap with "People who like to yell and don't play well with others" and "people who disrespect women and their agency" is probably pretty high.

As for MRA:

Also, LOL at anyone who cant see that Rick's views on women are the poison that is slowly killing him worse than any alcohol ever could.

"Rick is so cool and independent, his daughter is a struggling alcoholic divorce' who tells her children to gently caress off during family therapy, and the only women he ever loved besides Beth's mom (presumably) is a galactic parasite that thinks HE is a bad influence, and he's so ABOVE it all that when she rejects him he tries to kill himself! I see all this behavior and think it's Morty, Summer and Dr. Wong who are all in the wrong"

~Real, possibly adult aged, men on Erth. loving kill me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't think that the show Rick & Morty or the character of Rick represents anything, and that sick people will assign whatever their current issue is towards whatever they wish and would have the same arguments toward toward Game of Thrones, That 70's Show, or Godzilla.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Libertarianism has been misogynist as gently caress since at least Ayn Rand. It's not a new thing at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh shiiiit I shouldn't have mentioned MRAs or libertarianism. I really don't want to see a discussion about those here.

Pull up, thread, pull up!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This show is a cartoon that makes me laugh a lot :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love that the CN website has a big-rear end post that's telling fans to stop saying Pickle Rick.

GobiasIndustries posted:

This show is a cartoon that makes me laugh a lot :shrug:

Is it a boy cartoon or a girl cartoon though!?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
lovely wizard shitposting is gone, the new arc villain is MRA talk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jokes posted:

I love that the CN website has a big-rear end post that's telling fans to stop saying Pickle Rick.

lol where?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WampaLord posted:

I mean, I guess you can view it that way, but while Susan Sarandon isn't Asian, the animated character she was playing was, so...I just don't see it.

:thejoke:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Right on the Rick and Morty site.

ITS POCKLE ROOOCKK

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dan and Justin and a few of the other creators talk about Rick vs Dr Wong and therapy in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1X818Qb1c

Edit: also here's the episode with just the Pickle Rick scenes for everyone who hated the therapy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDPDaK_DhA
It also seems to have the most over top top gory stuff edited out for everyone who hated that

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 8, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't think that the show Rick & Morty or the character of Rick represents anything, and that sick people will assign whatever their current issue is towards whatever they wish and would have the same arguments toward toward Game of Thrones, That 70's Show, or Godzilla.

That 70's Show was the greatest argument for National Bolshevism ever written, and here's 10,000 words on why.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The increasingly misnamed "Red" Foreman serves as a bulwark of capitalism that our revolutionary heroes repeatedly stand against.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Edit: also here's the episode with just the Pickle Rick scenes for everyone who hated the therapy stuff

It also seems to have the most over top top gory stuff edited out for everyone who hated that

No thanks.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: if this thread isn't mostly muted for them.

nah I read each and every post, because you goons have pretty decent discussions. Other places on the internet are just like "Guys my girlfriend drew this drawing of rick, she doesn't think she's very good. 100 upvotes. *its a traced screen shot with colored pencils*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hire her.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hey, you know how the entire point of the Pickle Rick plotline was to juxtapose absurd hyper violence against a calmer situation, illustrating the insanity of Rick choosing the former over the latter? Yeah, let's strip that entire statement from it, thus making it pointless violence. Also, since its level of violence is now too high when stripped of a balancing counterpoint let's downgrade that violence. This is surely a sensible thing to do.

Never change, internet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The therapist casually tearing down Rick and then ending the session because time was up and asking for poo poo-eater referrals was the best part of the episode. Even if you didn't like the other parts without PR, that is still a weird and dumb thing to cut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if I just wanna watch pickle Rick gently caress up Some rats?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Suuuuuuure, but Libertarianism isn't (or at least wasn't before the last couple years) grounded in misogyny, it just attracts the kind of people who'd rather bark orders than take them.
If there's a common thread between internet libertarians and MRAs it's something that was discussed in this episode- using your intelligence to repress a problem. There's a neat simple logical solution that feels good and does not challenge the thinker's emotions, and a logical but emotionally challenged person will find it immensely appealing.

That kind of thinking is being explicitly called unhealthy in this episode so... some people are gonna feel attacked.

There are clearly some people who just didn't like the talky/introspective bits, and that's fine. I don't mean to paint anyone who doesn't like this episode as emotionally stunted or anything. But yeah, Rick is hosed up in a way that a lot of real people are, and of course those people would love this show, and I can totally see why they're upset at being called out by a show that they used to think gets them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

What if I just wanna watch pickle Rick gently caress up Some rats?

That's fine too, I watched the rough cut of that probably a dozen times before the episode.

It's just weird to leave in PR in the therapist office but (badly) cut out most of the dialogue. The action parts are at least still entertaining out of context, watching one side of a conversation is dumb, it's not like there's even a ton of quotable stuff there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Guy A. Person posted:

That's fine too, I watched the rough cut of that probably a dozen times before the episode.

It's just weird to leave in PR in the therapist office but (badly) cut out most of the dialogue. The action parts are at least still entertaining out of context, watching one side of a conversation is dumb, it's not like there's even a ton of quotable stuff there.

The account is Not Justin Roiland. I think the video is cut up badly to encourage people to watch the full episode.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oh word, then I missed the joke my bad, I only skipped around

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Eiba posted:

If there's a common thread between internet libertarians and MRAs it's something that was discussed in this episode- using your intelligence to repress a problem. There's a neat simple logical solution that feels good and does not challenge the thinker's emotions, and a logical but emotionally challenged person will find it immensely appealing.

That kind of thinking is being explicitly called unhealthy in this episode so... some people are gonna feel attacked.

There are clearly some people who just didn't like the talky/introspective bits, and that's fine. I don't mean to paint anyone who doesn't like this episode as emotionally stunted or anything. But yeah, Rick is hosed up in a way that a lot of real people are, and of course those people would love this show, and I can totally see why they're upset at being called out by a show that they used to think gets them.
It's not that I don't like talky/introspective parts in general, I really liked the stuff with morty and summer in this season's opener, and rixty minutes was good too. I just found this particular instance a little predictable and ham-handed. (Well, outside the poo poo-eating parts.) Rick making GBS threads on therapy and then the therapist making GBS threads on him was like, the obvious thing they were very slowly driving towards. I wasn't surprised or shocked, there was no mic drop, and that disappointed me. In the meantime, the action with rick was brilliantly animated and funny at times but it felt a little lifeless without, well, a human with him going "what the hell man?". Danny Trejo going "wait do I have infinite daughters too?" was probably my favorite line because it did provide that.

I guess, to me, Rick isn't very entertaining alone, he needs a straight man. Maybe that was part of the point, as someone said earlier.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not that I don't like talky/introspective parts in general, I really liked the stuff with morty and summer in this season's opener, and rixty minutes was good too. I just found this particular instance a little predictable and ham-handed. (Well, outside the poo poo-eating parts.) Rick making GBS threads on therapy and then the therapist making GBS threads on him was like, the obvious thing they were very slowly driving towards. I wasn't surprised or shocked, there was no mic drop, and that disappointed me. In the meantime, the action with rick was brilliantly animated and funny at times but it felt a little lifeless without, well, a human with him going "what the hell man?".

She didn't poo poo on Rick; she just explained her view of the situation. Maybe Rick will come around to it eventually.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
The episode was lame and unfunny with about three jokes stretched over thirty minutes (as well as a good dose of monkey cheeze), and all of y'all eating up Jessica Gao's obvious self-insert therapist character make me sad to the bones. I agree w/ pretty much everything lovely Wizard had to say ~

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Suuuuuuure, but Libertarianism isn't (or at least wasn't before the last couple years) grounded in misogyny, it just attracts the kind of people who'd rather bark orders than take them.

Those two things are connected, though. People aren't born with the Barking Orders or Taking Orders gene, it's a set of beliefs they develop because of culture, and we live in a culture that (especially historically) says economics, politics, and governing are mens' work.

Like it's not a coincidence that demographic research usually says self-identified libertarians are more likely to be white and male than self-identified conservatives or Republicans.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Human Crouton posted:

Can someone seriously explain to me why some people know so much about Dan Harmon and the inner workings of his brain? I mean, even if he puts that information out there, why are you consuming it with such fervor and using it to build a framework through which you view and enjoy media.

I'll accept that you suck as an answer.

I was watching television and Dan Harmon came on to be interviewed about Community, which was a show that I liked. So I watched it and learned some details about him. He then did a show where he played D&D with people and I watched some of that as well. He also does a podcast, but I don't watch that. Others here might, though. A lot of stuff about him personally is likely mentioned in that podcast.

It's pretty much as simple as that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weed Wolf posted:

The episode was lame and unfunny with about three jokes stretched over thirty minutes (as well as a good dose of monkey cheeze), and all of y'all eating up Jessica Gao's obvious self-insert therapist character make me sad to the bones. I agree w/ pretty much everything lovely Wizard had to say ~

lol shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick and Morty: The poo poo eating was ham-handed.