Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RisqueBarber posted:

I pick 5th in my league and in a mock draft I took Zek, Aaron Rodgers, Kelce, and then Jordan Reed(flex) in that order (6 PPTD/ 0.5 PPR / 12 Team). Have any of you gone double elite tight end to fill a flex? How did it work out?

I did Graham and Gronk a few years ago, and in a single flex league I hated it because of how much it constrains you since you'll always want to fill that slot with your high draft pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
E: lol, there ya go

RisqueBarber posted:

I pick 5th in my league and in a mock draft I took Zek, Aaron Rodgers, Kelce, and then Jordan Reed(flex) in that order (6 PPTD/ 0.5 PPR / 12 Team). Have any of you gone double elite tight end to fill a flex? How did it work out?

I recall Beer trying to dual wield Jimmy Graham and Gronk in a league one year

I also recall that it didn't go so great for him

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
New page so I'm gonna repost this:

I'm looking for players for an all IDP league: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829406

We've got 5 people so far and I have three IRL friends to take up slots if we need it. This will be the fourth year for this league (in concept) and it's been a lot of fun. I am hoping for at least 12 folks like last year, but 14 would be ideal.

Who doesn't love defense? Great players can have great games even if the team ends up giving up points, and this format lets you enjoy that!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So which QBs should I be targeting if I don't want to blow a chunk of my budget on one? Cousins? Winston?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

So which QBs should I be targeting if I don't want to blow a chunk of my budget on one? Cousins? Winston?

I want to grab one of Winston/Mariota.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Have a large tier-B list, and wait for one to go for a steal. Never fails.

Here, let's make and debate one:

Possible qb steals in auction:

Winston
Mariota
Cousins
Carr
Tyrod
Rivers
Brothless Burger
Prescott?

That's 8 + 5 top tier qbs. If your league is 12 or fewer, that should be enough. If it's 14 or more, just be sure to throw out a $2 qb or two early that's not on this list (like Newton or Stafford) and it should block up nicely.

NOTE: This is assuming you meant a 1 qb league... did you?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 8, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Have a large tier-B list, and wait for one to go for a steal. Never fails.

Here, let's make and debate one:

Possible qb steals in auction:

Winston
Mariota
Cousins
Carr
Tyrod
Rivers
Brothless Burger
Prescott?

That's 8 + 5 top tier qbs. If your league is 12 or fewer, that should be enough. If it's 14 or more, just be sure to throw out a $2 qb or two early that's not on this list (like Newton or Stafford) and it should block up nicely.

Yeah it's a 1 QB, 14 team auction league. I definitely plan on throwing randoms out for nomination.

I've been leaning Winston/Cousins/Carr. Winston has thrown over 4,000 yards both years he's been in the league. But he's also thrown a ton of picks. Cousins has done the same with less picks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Some combination of two of Rivers/Winston/Tygod/Mariota will be on 100% of my rosters, especially with Taylor now having Boldin.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Yeah it's a 1 QB, 14 team auction league. I definitely plan on throwing randoms out for nomination.

I've been leaning Winston/Cousins/Carr. Winston has thrown over 4,000 yards both years he's been in the league. But he's also thrown a ton of picks. Cousins has done the same with less picks.

IME my 14 team auctions need me to talk myself into about 6 tier b qbs. All it takes is for one other bidder to want winston, one other to want carr, and one more to want cousins, and suddenly none of those are going for a steal.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Well guys having Rodgers is super nice

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Diqnol posted:

Well guys having Rodgers is super nice

Yeah, but I'd rather spend that money on David Johnson.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So if those are the tier B guys, who are the tier A guys? Here going by FantasyPros ADP we have:
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Ryan
Luck
Wilson
Carr...

so with Carr on Drunk Nerd's B-tier list, that implies everyone above Carr is Tier A, and we can fill out the Tier B guys who could be "steals":
Newton
Stafford
Manning
Dalton
Wentz
Palmer
Watson
Smith
Bortles
Flacco
Bradford

Of those, I'd say Stafford could be fine, Manning is a high-upside pick and especially attractive if your league doesn't heavily penalize interceptions, Palmer is potentially a steal, and I'm suddenly wondering about dark horse candidate Jay Cutler.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2017

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I don't feel like you're likely to get Winston, Mariota or Carr for cheap. They seem to be fairly hot picks now.

I think all the guys hovering around the 14th off the board are pretty reasonable QBs. I wouldn't want to drop lower than that though.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Honestly, just take whoever is left. One of those A tier guys will be a steal and about five of those B tier guys will be under $5

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People sleep on Stafford every year and he puts up perfectly good numbers while still being dirt cheap. At least that's been my go-to recently.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Benne posted:

People sleep on Stafford every year and he puts up perfectly good numbers while still being dirt cheap. At least that's been my go-to recently.

I'm probably going to end up with Stafford, but drat has he burned me in the past.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Benne posted:

Romo 2.0

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Benne posted:

The guy you're looking for is actually Philip Rivers

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Mine is Rivers, dude is always drafted right outside the top 12 QB's and consistently puts up 4000 yards and 30 TDs even when half his offense dies from injuries.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This year Rivers has a horrible commute and is going to be pissed off and sleep deprived for all his home games.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

I hyped Stafford errywhere last year and he wasnt even the best matt sleeper smdh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No but seriously I want to know what this thread thinks of Jay Cutler's Miami Dolphins, and also are Landry/Parker/Stills/Ajayi owners hosed now too?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'm in mid-season advice form already!

Also, has anyone seen fightclubsandwich? he runs the GoT league and I'd like to win 2 years in a row.

I peaked in on the Got league the season after I quit and was disappointed in how my once great team was a shadow of its former self. It was very appropriate. :v:

Benne posted:

Stafford always seems to be bad in December. Last yeae, he got me DeVante Parker in my dynasty league and the league was mad at me for being ripped off. :D

Leperflesh posted:

No but seriously I want to know what this thread thinks of Jay Cutler's Miami Dolphins, and also are Landry/Parker/Stills/Ajayi owners hosed now too?

Look at Cutler's numbers when he has good position players. Those dudes feast. Forte was always a beast. Alshon was a completely different player with Jay. I want all the Landry pieces I can get.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

On the other hand, cats always fall asleep in the sun and it's really sunny in Miami.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

So if those are the tier B guys, who are the tier A guys? Here going by FantasyPros ADP we have:
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Ryan
Luck
Wilson
Carr...

so with Carr on Drunk Nerd's B-tier list, that implies everyone above Carr is Tier A, and we can fill out the Tier B guys who could be "steals":
Newton
Stafford
Manning
Dalton
Wentz
Palmer
Watson
Smith
Bortles
Flacco
Bradford

Of those, I'd say Stafford could be fine, Manning is a high-upside pick and especially attractive if your league doesn't heavily penalize interceptions, Palmer is potentially a steal, and I'm suddenly wondering about dark horse candidate Jay Cutler.

i forgot about wilson. He might go for a small amount like 1/10 auctions.

Feels like Watson, Smith, Bortles, Flacco, and Bradford will all go for $1 unless your league is super coked up.

Why isn't rivers on the list... is his adp below flacco, bradford, and bortles?

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
I think Parker is the better receiver for Cutler and he's going to have a huge year. Ajay will be good and Landry will be the usual PPR guy.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dolphins will go to the AFC championship game, and next season the trend will be for teams to fire their lame duck qbs and hire retired guys

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Felter Chesthard posted:

I think Parker is the better receiver for Cutler and he's going to have a huge year. Ajay will be good and Landry will be the usual PPR guy.
Why do you believe Parker will be better with Cutler? Cutler trusts his receivers to win their battles and go up and get the ball but Parker has been terrible against physical coverage so far in the NFL.

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/891419185682579456

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Why isn't rivers on the list... is his adp below flacco, bradford, and bortles?
I only listed the guys you didn't list:

Drunk Nerds posted:

Winston
Mariota
Cousins
Carr
Tyrod
Rivers
Brothless Burger
Prescott?

So I left off Tyrod, Roeth, Prescott.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

89 posted:

So, anybody doing any $$$ auction leagues? I'd like to get into one auction league this season. Never done one before. Kind of looking for cash prizes though.

You can jump on my waitlist here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828115

League's almost full, but you never know.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Cutler has a cannon arm and Stills is the deep-ball ninja, sounds like a good match to me.

Just be wary of Cutler himself in -2 INT leagues.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Vegas had the Dolphins winning 7 games before Tannehill's injury. I'm staying away from anything Dolphins.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

RisqueBarber posted:

Vegas had the Dolphins winning 7 games before Tannehill's injury. I'm staying away from anything Dolphins.

This happens all of the time and it bears repeating. Vegas odds do not reflect who is more likely to win, they are set in the interest of getting equal action on both sides. It is more a reflection on the perception of the odds. An oddsmaker may set the line for a Cowboys game at -8 in Dallas, even though the true line should be -6, simply due to the fact that more people are going to bet on the Cowboys. Public perception plays a huge role in oddsmaking.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Last year Reed put up 11.3 points a game in half PPR (and only once in his career, 2015, had higher ppg), while also missing time and being a good bet to miss time again this year. That put him in the low WR2 range in terms of scoring. If guys like Diggs, Tate, or Edelman were still available, I think you did poorly taking Reed over them.

Also, just not really a fan of this whole draft :/ Is Zeke worth pick 5 with a possible 4 game suspension looming, when you could have taken McCoy or en elite WR? Not sure. Rodgers in the 2nd and Kelce in the 3rd also feel like reaches to have the top option at each position, while giving up value at RB or WR.

Going back to this, why the hate for Rodgers in the second? I'm in a 6 PT passing td and -3 interception league. Below is my beersheet and Rodgers has the clear value to me. Who would you take? (Green is my selections and red are players already drafted)

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

RisqueBarber posted:

Going back to this, why the hate for Rodgers in the second? I'm in a 6 PT passing td and -3 interception league.

You didn't tell us this. That's a huge (and non-standard) punishment for INTs. That changes things. Rodgers in the 2nd is a much better pick with this scoring.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

RisqueBarber posted:

Players on bad teams, even with bad QBs, can be useful in fantasy football.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

Going back to this, why the hate for Rodgers in the second? I'm in a 6 PT passing td and -3 interception league. Below is my beersheet and Rodgers has the clear value to me. Who would you take? (Green is my selections and red are players already drafted)

"How can you say picking Eli Manning in the first is a bad pick? I'm in a league where players named Eli Manning get 25 points per completion. Who would you take?"

If your league has weird scoring that completely changes everyone's value, that information is kind of important.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 9, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Gobias Ind. posted:

You didn't tell us this. That's a huge (and non-standard) punishment for INTs. That changes things. Rodgers in the 2nd is a much better pick with this scoring.

I guess I didn't think the -3 int was such a big deal. I only mentioned the 6 point passing touchdown in my original post. What's the norm -2?

edit: The beersheet I'm using is actually using -2 interception values so I guess Rodger's value should be even higher.

Matt Zerella posted:

Players on bad teams, even with bad QBs, can be useful in fantasy football.

I agree, I had Carlos Hyde last year who was great until his injury. It just looks like Miami is going to take a step back this year and I don't think any of their fantasy players are worth their current ADP.

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 9, 2017

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MrSargent posted:

This happens all of the time and it bears repeating. Vegas odds do not reflect who is more likely to win, they are set in the interest of getting equal action on both sides. It is more a reflection on the perception of the odds. An oddsmaker may set the line for a Cowboys game at -8 in Dallas, even though the true line should be -6, simply due to the fact that more people are going to bet on the Cowboys. Public perception plays a huge role in oddsmaking.

Eh, I don't think this has been really true in some time. Vegas would love 50/50 action every game but doing that in practice is impossible. Their best long term return is in setting as accurate lines as possible to keep sharps from manipulating the lines and putting them in positions to lose money. Im sure public perception plays a part in their formula but they do have a vested interest in being extremely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I'm seeing a lot of panic on Cam Newton this year, is there any truth behind it? I don't need him to carry my team but I have him for a cheap price, and while I could move him, it would take a substantial amount of my team salary cap to do so, I'm in a "must win" year (due to expiring player contracts) with a roster of the following going into free agent auction/rookie draft.

Newton
Lamar Miller
Julio Jones
Michael Thomas
TY Hilton
Corey Coleman

Without getting into huge details, I could trade Cam for Aaron Rodgers, but huge salary differene of $17 for Cam, and $50 for Rodgers, which would leave me only about $20-25 max bid to try and get a second RB and then fill in with cheap nobodies for rest of roster. We start 2 wr, 2 RB, 1 te and a flex

Sorry for the novel, but really is Rodgers such a huge upgrade that it'd be worth essentially having below average dudes at rb2 and TE1?

• Locked thread