Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I lol when you guys are like "oh you're getting 1-shot in A6? Probably time to upgrade your resistances" like I'm not scouring the guild stash for upgrades every 30 minutes.

Over There posted:

The guide on everything was pretty simple, until it came to builds. Looking at the forums gave me a huge :stare: when it came to completing a build.

Yeah and wait until you actually try to understand the mechanics behind any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I lol when you guys are like "oh you're getting 1-shot in A6? Probably time to upgrade your resistances" like I'm not scouring the guild stash for upgrades every 30 minutes.

Yeah and wait until you actually try to understand the mechanics behind any of it.

A mix of PoE Trade and Master crafting makes it fairly easy to get things sorted out.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Even with okay resists I found the start of act 6 a bit of a difficulty jump, and it got easier later.

Partly just because I didn't appreciate at first just how deadly the scorching ray totems are.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

When is the second resist hit?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
After Act 10

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I was expecting act 6 to be a cakewalk like act 1 cruel always was, so I was taken by surprise when there were monsters doing heavy elemental damage in the mud flats.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

STiL. posted:

If there's a goon guild that's recruiting, can someone invite charname GruestWasRight**? Thanks.

Haha I misspelled my name. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it

Kurash fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2017

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Dramatika posted:

I'm doing RF zerker right now as well. You can sustain RF decently with purity of fire and the 1% resist passive via good use of long duration flasks and spamming enduring cry on cooldown. It's not seamless,but it's workable until you get the 25c together for the shield.
E; wait, just saw you're HC SSF. I would actually probably not do this then, without the shield you aren't going much past white maps, and maybe not even that far if you can't reliably get big resists and life on gear.

Make sense, I've been afraid that's the case. Capping the resists is never the problem, getting extra res on top of that is. I'll run something different then, hoping to find the shield (yeah, right) in the meantime.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Have you considered going on poe trade instead of both using stuff people put in the stash while also whining about it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just to be sure, it is better to focus on a Defense stat, like all Armor or all Evasion, and not both, right? I am considering going for Iron Reflexes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well the most important is raw health

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Yeah, you generally don't want to split your focus between two types of defense (the exception being that Life/ES are a defense and you may want armor/evasion/dodge as a secondary layer).

Iron Reflexes is pretty good and still leaves you with 5% evasion, which definitely doesn't hurt. Just remember that armor doesn't help a ton against huge hits so you still need a large life pool (or ES if you're doing that) to survive one-shots.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bouquet posted:

I did a Deadeye version of this in Legacy (BouquetOfBallistae) so I was coming at things from the exact opposite corner of the tree, but I've got a few things to mention:

Thanks for the comments, I definitely will be switching to Haste instead of Wrath immediately and Proj Weakness is a great choice for second curse.

In terms of clearing white packs I find it fairly quick as I can throw down a single totem and move on, only going back if my loot filter notifies me. Only bosses and tanky rares get all three. The Rain of Splinters jewel is a really really easy way to get to 3 projectiles per totem, and it's only a reduced modifier instead of a less modifier in addition to not taking a gem slot.

I'm an Elementalist because ignites are now based off of base damage which Doomfletch has in spades and when you're dealing equal amounts of phys and all of the elements the ascendency is the only way to get a decent burn without spending 2 gem slots and 2 item slots on a buttload of conversion.
Plus Siege Ballista is one of the few builds that can make full use of Mastermind of Discord because it's not losing DPS from using Ele Hit over a main skill (and all three resistances are important to it). At some point I'll have to get a Wise Oak and fiddle way too much with my gear.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Can someone look at my skill tree and tell me if there's something obvious I messed up that I should change? The idea is pretty straightforward, but I dunno if some of the nodes I went into are traps or ineffective. It ends up with 204% increased life, which is fine, right?

http://poeurl.com/bqNk

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Can someone look at my skill tree and tell me if there's something obvious I messed up that I should change? The idea is pretty straightforward, but I dunno if some of the nodes I went into are traps or ineffective. It ends up with 204% increased life, which is fine, right?

http://poeurl.com/bqNk

Life is fine, you're spending way too many points on the bad life leeching nodes and not enough on damage nodes.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Also, plan out for 100 points, max. That's ~level 80, at which point you'll know if you hate your character or want to keep going with it. If you need all 120 points to make your character good, your character is not good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ultima66 posted:

Life is fine, you're spending way too many points on the bad life leeching nodes and not enough on damage nodes.

That's the thing, I'm new so I don't know which life leeching nodes are bad or good. And I didn't want to commit to being one-handed or two-handed which is why I avoided any nodes to do with those. Can you tell me which life leech nodes to spec out of in order to spec into more damage?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are new follow a build in the poe forums

One that says "starter" or " low budget"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

euphronius posted:

If you are new follow a build in the poe forums

One that says "starter" or " low budget"

That's lame though. I hate following guides in games. I'm the kind of person who will go out of his way to play any game at least blind-ish.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's the thing, I'm new so I don't know which life leeching nodes are bad or good. And I didn't want to commit to being one-handed or two-handed which is why I avoided any nodes to do with those. Can you tell me which life leech nodes to spec out of in order to spec into more damage?

The only leech nodes anyone takes are the wheel that gives both life and mana leech and they get the life side + the life/mana hybrid. Drop the rest for your choice of 1h, 2h, DW, and 1h + shield nodes. Also you don't need unwavering stance Kaom's Roots gives you it for free along with chill/freeze immunity and 200 flat life and you should probably plan to wear them in the endgame.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Can I get a guild invite please? On now as "olQWERTYbastard".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's lame though. I hate following guides in games. I'm the kind of person who will go out of his way to play any game at least blind-ish.

Good luck

:cheers:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Actually Berserker doesn't need any leech nodes at all, didn't realize you were Berserker. Also going to Shadow is way too far for too little benefit. If you want VP cut the build off at VP, otherwise stop it at the ranger life nodes.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
How fast should I be going through this game? I'm playing this like the first time I played through D2 and trying to do full clears of every zone and as a result I just got to act 2 and I'm maybe 3-4 hours in? I'm thinking I might make a Standard character to do story stuff and make something else to blitz through the league?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I will never understand why people path up to the big life ring just for the notable, while ignoring all the 4% life nodes that are much easier to get to or even directly adjacent to the existing path.

It's really boring to just pick 5% more life for 10 levels instead of working towards some crazy keystone effect.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I love PoE but there's no defending it on this point: That's nearly impossible here. I mean it's possible but you're going to run in to the problems you're experiencing now.

The one-handed and two-handed nodes are good because, while they do restrict you to one specific kind of thing, they're much stronger than generalized nodes that don't do that. The same is true of nodes for specific weapon types like daggers or axes. The primary metagame of PoE is balancing your nodes because you don't get many points and you need to make sure you waste as few as possible (avoid stat nodes) and maximize the benefit of the ones you get (fitting in as many specialized nodes as you can).

A lot of people who play this game underestimate just how confusing it is to new players. I'm one of them, I've been trying to help explain the game to a Diablo playing friend who just started and I take so many pieces of knowledge for granted that I forget to mention them, and that's with me already mentioning so many things that he's getting overloaded and frustrated.

I'm a similar kind of player and hate following guides, but it took a few times following guides before everything started to click and I realized why choices were being made and what my priority was when figuring out where my points need to go. You don't have to follow guides but if you're interested in figuring things out on your own I'd suggest at least reading a few of the more well-explained guides for various builds to figure out the thought process of creating a build.

PoE's biggest fault is that you need a specific plan in mind, whether it's your own or someone else's, and that plan unfortunately does need to generally include the specific weapon type you'll be using and the specific skills you'll be using. Experimental characters won't make it very far. I have 600 hours played but I still don't know enough about this game to really critique someone's build unless it's a specific build I've played before and I know what end-game weapon and uniques they're going to be using.

Edit: Another really good way to learn is to put your builds together in Path of Building which will show you the exact math behind all of your choices and can even suggest nodes based on how much they increase the output of that math, but you'll need to set all your intended gear to get good results from that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 8, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Go as fast as you want . The game is fun at low levels .

Imho.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I love PoE but there's no defending it on this point: That's nearly impossible here. I mean it's possible but you're going to run in to the problems you're experiencing now.

The one-handed and two-handed nodes are good because, while they do restrict you to one specific kind of thing, they're much stronger than generalized nodes that don't do that. The same is true of nodes for specific weapon types like daggers or axes. The primary metagame of PoE is balancing your nodes because you don't get many points and you need to make sure you waste as few as possible (avoid stat nodes) and maximize the benefit of the ones you get (fitting in as many specialized nodes as you can).

A lot of people who play this game underestimate just how confusing it is to new players. I'm one of them, I've been trying to help explain the game to a Diablo playing friend who just started and I take so many pieces of knowledge for granted that I forget to mention them, and that's with me already mentioning so many things that he's getting overloaded and frustrated.

I'm a similar kind of player and hate following guides, but it took a few times following guides before everything started to click and I realized why choices were being made and what my priority was when figuring out where my points need to go. You don't have to follow guides but if you're interested in figuring things out on your own I'd suggest at least reading a few of the more well-explained guides for various builds to figure out the thought process of creating a build.

PoE's biggest fault is that you need a specific plan in mind, whether it's your own or someone else's, and that plan unfortunately does need to generally include the specific weapon type you'll be using and the specific skills you'll be using. Experimental characters won't make it very far. I have 600 hours played but I still don't know enough about this game to really critique someone's build unless it's a specific build I've played before and I know what end-game weapon and uniques they're going to be using.

I'm just gonna do it anyways I guess. I'd rather crash and burn on my own than fly with instructions, if that makes sense? I at least took the advice of focusing down to level 80 to heart and was able to optimize my pathing a little bit more. It hadn't occurred to me that Berserker didn't need life leech nodes either, I figured having more would be better but thinking about it with Berserker if you're not dying you're leeching insanely fast anyways.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's really nothing wrong with playing that way as long as you don't mind restarting when a character is beyond salvage, that's what I did for my first ~200 hours and I still loved the game :kiddo: I didn't actually even get to maps until Breach.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Stepped into Merc Lab since I figured I'd finally get it out of the way before it resets today as Gargoyles & Fonts are easy. Looked up where one of the darkshrines was since they seem to be pretty awesome lately from my earlier lab runs. Click it:

"Labyrinth Traps will be disabled in the Aspirant's Trial."

:stare:

Yes. Yes please. I am never skipping a Darkshrine ever again.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 8, 2017

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

gonadic io posted:

I'm an Elementalist because ignites are now based off of base damage which Doomfletch has in spades and when you're dealing equal amounts of phys and all of the elements the ascendency is the only way to get a decent burn without spending 2 gem slots and 2 item slots on a buttload of conversion.
Plus Siege Ballista is one of the few builds that can make full use of Mastermind of Discord because it's not losing DPS from using Ele Hit over a main skill (and all three resistances are important to it). At some point I'll have to get a Wise Oak and fiddle way too much with my gear.
Yeah, it sounds like you've done way more thinking about how to get good ignites than I ever did. :) I did look at Mastermind of Discord again while contemplating your build and say, "Ooohh, yeah, that works pretty nice with Doomfletch."

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010
Anybody in the guild (HSC) have vorici lvl 8 yet so I could get my ele weakness gloves to use?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm not enjoying Lacerate as much as I expected given it's motherfucking sword beams.

Was thinking of trying out one of those totem builds since I've never played with totems much. The idea of Searing Bond and Flame Totem (or something like Fireball totems) to make my own fire & laser rock show seems awesome. I'm just undecided between Marauder or Templar.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Infinity Gaia posted:

As long as you're ok with starting over when you brick a character, have at it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Go Templar for totems imo. Heirophant has a lot of totem boosts in the ascendancy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For how long has wildstrike been a insanely strong skill? I thought it was elemental hit tier of useless but it's absurdly good, finding it way better then sunder.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 9, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
They changed WS to be 100% conversion (from 60%) at Legacy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For how long has wildstrike been a insanely strong skill? I thought it was elemental hit tier of useless but it's absurdly good, finding it way better then sunder.

I dunno, I thought people were memeing when they said they'd roll wild strike as a league starter.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Returning player. Can I get a Goon guild invite if there is still room?

Name: Olddirtyfart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I powered through act 2 on a league character and didn't run into any new masters. Are there specific zones more likely to host them? I'm running a necro so Catriona (Catarina?) is gonna be a help, and it's been long enough since I did standard league master unlocks that I don't have a clue.