Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

fadam posted:

Did anyone get a chance to see the "MvCI and Esports" presentation video that Capcom accidentally made public on Youtube? It's down now.

https://streamable.com/rmkp6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fellblade posted:

- MVCI 'esports' for 2017 will be mostly online based qualification and then part of Capcom Cup in 2018

I can imagine the clusterfucks already

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looking forward to capcom getting the PC bots out there for Capcom Cup

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Capcom Cup grand finals are a bot versus JWong. He loses.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if the netcode is still broken from sfv

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

As someone who's sat through way too many proposals in this vein.....it's pretty par for the course. Chop off the backend and clean up the terminology a little bit and you'd have a video that's ready for public distribution. Although :lol: at all the images of guys like Hungrybox who aren't going to touch this game with a ten-foot pole.

What jumped out at me the most was all the money that they're spending for an estimated profit of just 625k, only 60% of which Capcom USA is keeping. I'm hoping that they're really keeping internal expectations low because this seems like an excessive amount of work for not nearly enough of a payoff. And if they're not and this game tanks like we all think it will, that profit margins shrinks and shrinks and shrinks.

Mr. Wiz throwing a hissy-fit on Twitter just seems like rear end-covering to a mouth-breathing fanbase. You don't need permission to use something on an internal doc that has no expectations of being released externally for attention/profit, and the better this game/tour does the more it benefits EVO. Saying "it doesn't represent their values" is just hogwash because it's all about getting people to play the game and spend money, which is absolutely their value. You don't book a loving arena to hold your event in out of the goodness of your own heart.

And this is par for the course nowdays. If you don't think that NRS/Tekken/Madden/LoL/etc... have the exact same priorities you're a fool. poo poo, I watched a LoL tournament this summer and mostly found myself counting how many different sponsorship opportunities were going unfulfilled. Someone's gonna figure out how to really crack the code and cash in on all this and make a fortune, it's just who and when.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So, they want to replace SFV with MvCI as the "core game" at Capcom Cup? That's pretty bizarre.

Does this mean there's going to be crossplay?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Really like that their SFV footage included modded Juri and Urien from before they were available

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fadam posted:

So, they want to replace SFV with MvCI as the "core game" at Capcom Cup? That's pretty bizarre.

Does this mean there's going to be crossplay?

it kinda makes sense since MvC:I isn't really that chaotic to watch (from what we've seen) and a looooot more people care about and recognize Spider Man or Captain America than Karin or Abigail. if their intention is just to get people watching it makes sense to emphasize MvC:I since the SF people would probably watch anyway and this could bring in new eyes, if not just in youtube Recommended Links

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Countblanc posted:

it kinda makes sense since MvC:I isn't really that chaotic to watch (from what we've seen) and a looooot more people care about and recognize Spider Man or Captain America than Karin or Abigail. if their intention is just to get people watching it makes sense to emphasize MvC:I since the SF people would probably watch anyway and this could bring in new eyes, if not just in youtube Recommended Links

they really should just gone full bore with a straightup Marvel game without all the Capcom characters, who are looking weaker and worse every month. From the advancing guard reflect that seems designed to gently caress up ALL the Capcom non-beam characters to the worst models mainly being Capcom (ChunLi, Dante, Frank) it seems like it would have been better received if this wasn't called MVC and was a Marvel fighter

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

DLC Inc posted:

they really should just gone full bore with a straightup Marvel game without all the Capcom characters, who are looking weaker and worse every month. From the advancing guard reflect that seems designed to gently caress up ALL the Capcom non-beam characters to the worst models mainly being Capcom (ChunLi, Dante, Frank) it seems like it would have been better received if this wasn't called MVC and was a Marvel fighter

I don't really believe the rumor about capcom characters being intentionally made weak but stuff like this is cool because it feeds that rumour so well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i doubt that they made the capcom characters weak but i absolutely believe that they intentionally made the marvel characters strong, after five-six years of a game where the only marvel characters that saw much competitive play were doom, phoenix, dormammu, and magneto, 3 of whom have film rights tied up in other companies and one of whom they aren't exactly pushing anytime soon, even if he was in the doctor strange movie. its just smart business to make sure every top player has at least one marvel character on their team. load up any umvc3 top 8 and half the teams wont have a single marvel character.

the only one of the avengers to appear in the top 64 of evo 2017 is freaking hawkeye, they definitely don't want a repeat of that

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 8, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

where's sentinel

or sentinel analogue

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Mr. Wiz throwing a hissy-fit on Twitter just seems like rear end-covering to a mouth-breathing fanbase. You don't need permission to use something on an internal doc that has no expectations of being released externally for attention/profit, and the better this game/tour does the more it benefits EVO. Saying "it doesn't represent their values" is just hogwash because it's all about getting people to play the game and spend money, which is absolutely their value. You don't book a loving arena to hold your event in out of the goodness of your own heart.

All he's doing with that tweet is taking the standard legal route of distancing himself and the EVO organization from the leak. Whether or not the stuff in the video aligns with EVO's views doesn't actually matter right now since its would be stupid to associate yourself in any way with an in-progress marketing pitch.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
where's f(sentinel)=

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!
Looks like the final Marvel character to balance the launch roster is Ghost Rider, who will also be playable at Gamescom on Aug 22.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Huh, that push block reflect stuff is goofy.

It's a bummer to be on the fence about a new MvC game. 2003 me would be aghast.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ExHumus posted:

Looks like the final Marvel character to balance the launch roster is Ghost Rider, who will also be playable at Gamescom on Aug 22.

is it motor cycle ghost rider, because that's not even the one in the comics or on marvel's tv anymore

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

is it motor cycle ghost rider, because that's not even the one in the comics or on marvel's tv anymore

gonna guess yes just on the basis that that's less effort for capcom than making new animations/movesets for car rider

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

KungFu Grip posted:

To save on time? Definitely biker ghost rider

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh is car riding ghost rider still around? That's awesome

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zand posted:

where's sentinel

or sentinel analogue

I suppose Antman/Giantman could possibly fulfill the niche of a big titanic character though it's not like he can dash around the air or do laser infinites? There's no easy replacement for Sentinel

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
good riddance, imo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm not even counting X because he's just Zero but without a cool sword

You take that back motherfucker

On the real though, it's too little too late. I wanted X when MvC 3 came out, and that poo poo was like what, 2011?

It wasn't just a long abandoned character from the best Mega Man spinoff, you could do something with those armors he's got, and vary the playstyle. You know, if you work it right.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wasn't the hunter from Monster Hunter supposed to be in this game

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Bleck posted:

good riddance, imo

:frogout:

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Countblanc posted:

Wasn't the hunter from Monster Hunter supposed to be in this game

Yes, and as far as we know, still is. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that one of the stages is a Monster Hunter/Something-from-Marvel stage.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

character looks dumb and plays dumb and is dumb

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i played sent on point. gently caress the haters :w00t:

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe2Ri7O3kDM&t=98s

this level is the monster hunter level btw

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Endorph posted:

the only one of the avengers to appear in the top 64 of evo 2017 is freaking hawkeye, they definitely don't want a repeat of that

this is still going to happen but with iron man instead of hawkeye anyways

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEPZJy380Os

https://twitter.com/Frankscotei/status/895009259259297794

quote:

nepht1979 13 hours ago
What the gently caress is this utter aids. Business talk has no place in the FGC.

imagine being this loving stupid

yeah durr hurr functions but the insane level of entitlement the fgc has is just insufferable at times

not gonna lie, it IS kinda nice to see Capcom and Marvel give SOME support to a game in this franchise for once

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 9, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Race Realists posted:

not gonna lie, it IS kinda nice to see Capcom and Marvel give SOME support to a game in this franchise for once

capcom ran cpt even for sf4 and has been involved in the community for a while. they have hired people from the community to work on their games and at their offices for a decade. they have been supporting their franchises this whole time. nobody is upset that capcom would want their game to succeed. people are upset because their community engagement sucks and their plan looks like more of the same

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

also watching what used to be your cool grassroots community slowly be monetized, then repackaged and sold back to you is not fun for people and that's not an unreasonable sentiment

if old fgc is like interior Mexican cuisine, new fgc is like taco bell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats why melty is the only true fg left

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Zand posted:

also watching what used to be your cool grassroots community slowly be monetized, then repackaged and sold back to you is not fun for people and that's not an unreasonable sentiment

more evidence that people should jump on the melee train imo

they've even had the wisdom to ban non-gamecube controllers to keep melee pure

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zand posted:

because we need more Nerd GateKeeping :v:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

capcom ran cpt even for sf4 and has been involved in the community for a while. they have hired people from the community to work on their games and at their offices for a decade. they have been supporting their franchises this whole time. nobody is upset that capcom would want their game to succeed. people are upset because their community engagement sucks and their plan looks like more of the same

their community engagement isnt even that bad, its just there's an ocean of disconnect between the people that make their current garbage rear end games and the people at capcom usa who are like "well i liked capcom games and also its my job to sell capcom games now so..."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
remember when s-kill had basically no idea what was in the latest build of sfxt and had to bs his way through interviews bc gems kept changing like every loving time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

anime was right posted:

their community engagement isnt even that bad, its just there's an ocean of disconnect between the people that make their current garbage rear end games and the people at capcom usa who are like "well i liked capcom games and also its my job to sell capcom games now so..."

my favorite part of modern capcom fg production is how they manage to strike the bizarrely stupid combination of giving folks the simultaneous impressions of "they're making games only to appeal to pro players" and "they're dumbing down games trying to appeal to casuals"

• Locked thread