Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Should the "Frankenstein" answer last night actually have been "Frankenstein's monster"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the first guy who ran the mile under 4 minutes was a clue tonight and it's a common clue on Jeopardy! and in trivia in general and I never remember it

All I could remember was his name was Roger.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFhj-gN7sY I definitely hear Burnside lmao

AFewBricksShy posted:

Should the "Frankenstein" answer last night actually have been "Frankenstein's monster"?

Nope! The clue was "'You, my creator, abhor me;' how does it make you feel to hear those painful words?"; Dr. Phil is quoting the monster and talking to Frankenstein

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Mister Kingdom posted:

All I could remember was his name was Roger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb2d5cX29pA&t=26s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he definitely said "burnside" and then lied thinking he got it wrong originally and would get a freebie lol

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the first guy who ran the mile under 4 minutes was a clue tonight and it's a common clue on Jeopardy! and in trivia in general and I never remember it

yeah, it felt like a lot of clues were that way, it was a much harder episode than usual

that final was a total stumper, too

vvvv yeah, the wording in that clue felt way too vague to express that they were looking for (what I guess is) a modern nation that is descended from a single feudal state (like a principality, I think), but I could only deduce that that's what they were looking for after the fact

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 29, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A couple of nights ago when the FJ answer was Andorra for a clue that boiled down to "has the highest European capital", what was "once a feudal state" doing in the clue?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

A couple of nights ago when the FJ answer was Andorra for a clue that boiled down to "has the highest European capital", what was "once a feudal state" doing in the clue?

I wondered that, too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Missed the second half of todays ep because the news thought it was important to tell us trump rotated his sycophants

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Groovelord Neato posted:

he definitely said "burnside" and then lied thinking he got it wrong originally and would get a freebie lol

I'm trying to think of anything better than this in Jeopardy history and all I'm coming up with is the week Aaron Rodgers beat an astronaut and we found out Wolf Blitzer might actually be developmentally disabled

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm trying to think of anything better than this in Jeopardy history and all I'm coming up with is the week Aaron Rodgers beat an astronaut and we found out Wolf Blitzer might actually be developmentally disabled
Ken Jennings had a few good moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPFkjF-Bdo

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I knew what video this was going to be even before I clicked on it and was not disappointed.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think it was supposed to be a kind of hint (or Tease Out Mechanic, TOM, in Jeopardy fan speak) since Andorra is still primarily known as a principality. Still, if it was, it was a bad one, since pretty much every European state was feudal.

Really tough Final to close out season 33, had no idea at all. Big wagers on it lead the the champ coming back next season. Now 6 weeks of reruns until a new episode. Wonder which tournament they're gonna start reshowing on Monday, Teachers or College?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why aren't they re-airing the Tournament of Champions

maybe they don't want viewers to get too accustomed to watching good games

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

why aren't they re-airing the Tournament of Champions

Because there hasn't been a ToC this season. There will be one next season though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the "ho/hoe" one is stupid because it's a legit answer. it's what both my pa and i said when watching it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

the "ho/hoe" one is stupid because it's a legit answer. it's what both my pa and i said when watching it.

According to Ken the problem was the difference between ho the person and hoe the gardening tool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh so it was because they aren't spelled the same? you say em the same way wth.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

According to Ken the problem was the difference between ho the person and hoe the gardening tool.

Groovelord Neato posted:

oh so it was because they aren't spelled the same? you say em the same way wth.
Yeah, that was my take on the reason why it was ruled wrong as well.

Though it didn't really matter much score wise, but I guess Jennings could've challenged the ruling and asked the judges to make a decision, and he probably did so, with that being the ruling. Whatever, it led to a really funny bit, and that's really all that matters, since he was cruising to another victory anyway.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't they have a ToC

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Why didn't they have a ToC

Dunno, they usually have one every season. I think it was because this past season didn't have enough 5 game winners so maybe the producers didn't think the possible pool of champs was exciting enough? They had a bunch of 3 and 4 game winners on the tracker for a while, so I guess they wanted more 5 game winners or whatever.

I dunno, I wanted to see Phillip Tiu appear on the ToC (the guy who won like $50k in one game, and last minuted a huge true Daily Double "What is Vancouver?", IIRC), but he only won like 3 games, so he's been bumped. There's also gonna be 2 Teachers Tournament and College Tournament winners each too, since Jeopardy has done two each of them since the last ToC.

I know they're gonna be filming the ToC first thing once the season resumes in like late August, early September; because like I mentioned a couple pages back, a bunch of ToC eligible people I know on Facebook have posted about getting the call for it like last month. It'll likely air in November sweeps? I dunno, it'll definitely be on this year at least.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 30, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GhostStalker posted:

I know they're gonna be filming the ToC first thing once the season resumes in like late August, early September; because like I mentioned a couple pages back, a bunch of ToC eligible people I know on Facebook have posted about getting the call for it like last month. It'll likely air in November sweeps? I dunno, it'll definitely be on this year at least.

If they don't mention Cindy Stowell, I'll be pissed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

If they don't mention Cindy Stowell, I'll be pissed.

They really should; she would've made the ToC cutoff if she had lived, which is why it's a gigantic shame she passed so soon right as her episodes were airing. Maybe the eventual ToC winner should donate some of their winnings to cancer research, if Jeopardy hasn't already.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 30, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Soothing Vapors posted:

my dude you can't chastise me for starting it and then immediately gorge yourself on N10C's chum

These are my favourites. Civ and Crusader Kings have answered me a lot of clues

Europa Universalis is the only reason I know any geography clues

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calling bullshit on that autocorrect / autocomplete question today. I know for a fact that "autocomplete" has been part of the Android nomenclature for years.

Edit: OK, the judges fixed it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bumping to say that the new season begins next Monday, September 11th, after this week's repeat of the Teachers Tournament is done with.

Also, according to ToC eligible people I follow on Facebook, ToC taping starts in 2 weeks.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

GhostStalker posted:

Bumping to say that the new season begins next Monday, September 11th, after this week's repeat of the Teachers Tournament is done with.

Also, according to ToC eligible people I follow on Facebook, ToC taping starts in 2 weeks.

Any word on audition callbacks? There's usually one goon by now who's auditioned in person.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

Can't wait, other than watching David's comeback victory again this Teacher's Tournament has been boring as gently caress. Wish they'd allow Colby to compete every year, in a variety of different hats and moustaches, just to spice it up

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Any word on audition callbacks? There's usually one goon by now who's auditioned in person.

I got an email from Alex Trebek today kindly informing me I'm not a total idiot because I didn't get an invite to an audition yet, does that count?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think all the technical issues with the online test prevented a lot of people from taking it. I know I couldn't.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lady from my town won today. :toot:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was swiping on tinder last night and one of the women i saw had been on jeopardy (i didn't recognize her, a picture of her at the podium with alex was her first pic).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'MMA LET YOU FINISH

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm just catching up on the final few episodes of Jeopardy from last season before I went away for a month and holy lol I just got to the episode where that douche lied to Alex about saying Ironsides and got the money taken away.

It was a glorious moment.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why didn't they accept The Birdcage when the answer was The Birdcage in French

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's a different movie.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They should have accepted Scrooge McDuck, also.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Colonial Air Force posted:

They should have accepted Scrooge McDuck, also.

No, they're his great-nephews.

Also, that Shanghai answer or whatever she said to that double jeopardy question was hilarious. Yes, I'm sure you can get Shanghai from France in 3 days on a train.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yes because most people in tyool 2017 are aware of how long train travel takes

"ten-four" isn't an interjection

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WarEternal posted:

No, they're his great-nephews.

Its a kind of uncle, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yes because most people in tyool 2017 are aware of how long train travel takes

Yeah, if only the commissioning of a railroad from China to Europe were a reasonably current news story or something...

Also that was a piss easy final jeopardy and I hate everyone involved in it. Don't wager $0, you silly fucker!