Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Speaking of assimilation...

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/894541510645035008

If genetic mastery lets you change a species' appearance, as this tweet seems to imply, can we change one species outright into another?

Like being lizardmen who, instead of turning into other species, turn other species into them. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
If you specify a template identical to your own species and then modify a conquered species into that, they should probably become the same species. Not sure whether this has been affirmed yet though.

Wiz has also been tweeting about a new civic that really enables you to govern a host of vassals rather than sectors. What it doesn't do is impose tithes of any sort on vassals, meaning you're probably better off with a mix of tributaries and vassals to maximise your economy. It would supercharge your research and Unity, so it might be an interesting playstyle - assuming you can release tributaries.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 8, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

imweasel09 posted:

I feel like these robots are maybe being a little hypocritical.

They might be mad that you gave up your biological bodies willingly, since they were forced to do it to survive. It seems they would have preferred to be restored to their original bodies. That's my guess.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 8, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Speaking of vassals and sectors, I think that when you integrate a vassal, it ought to immediately form a sector within your empire rather than being a bunch of core world you have to stop and sort out.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

JuniperCake posted:

They might be mad that you gave up your biological bodies willingly, since they were forced to do it to survive. It seems they would have preferred to be restored to their original bodies. That's my guess.

Nah, it's just a silly bug.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Maybe they're pissed they got scrub tier droids vs your kickass synths

Wiz posted:

Nah, it's just a silly bug.
A silly bug that should be made a proper event line continuation IMO

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 8, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Stellaris could learn a lot of lessons from Dominions, primarily by allowing the player to do absolutely mental poo poo. I should be able to summon Peter Hamilton-esque Space Zombies and make starships from the corpses of my enemies. I should be able to play as fusion-powered robots and put out all the stars in the galaxy to doom all organics to a frozen death. I should be able to intentionally break the walls of reality in my opponents' space and have them consumed by cosmic horrors. I should be able to play pool with planets, and pot them into black holes, Lister-style.

Idiotic poo poo adds a hell of a lot to Star Ruler, yes I definitely want to spend my entire GDP for the next ten years building a space station with a gigantic artillery cannon big enough to shoot into the next system. Yes I definitely want to build an entire planet devoted to producing ammunition for it. And yes I definitely want to shoot it at the star in the next system until it goes supernova and takes out a decent chunk of the galaxy even though that will take a hundred years to get through the star's HP pool.

DatonKallandor posted:

They're not immortal though - the Nids can just make backups of the leaders skills at the cost of having to kill it and spawn a new one. Would work in Stellaris too obviously - you have to pay the re-buy influence cost for your leader to save his current stats and if he ever dies out in the field you can just buy him at your old saved stats again.

I feel like this should be a thing for normal empires too with the right technology, I want to execute Weyoun Five and replace him with Weyoun Six to see if he does any better.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 8, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

All leaders are named Duncan Idaho.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Demiurge4 posted:

What about a district 9 approach? The individual hive members are capable of reasoning on a basic level but without the guidance of the hive mind they revert to scavengers and subsistence existence.

This would keep the pops around but make them completely useless to you and your only option would be gene modding or purge.

You... realize that wasn't what was happening in District 9, right?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You... realize that wasn't what was happening in District 9, right?

I think there was a caste of leaders that died off on the ship, and they directed everything. A regular prawn could become a leader in the abscence of leaders (ie. Christopher). It's unclear exactly how that controlling actually worked though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bug Squash posted:

I think there was a caste of leaders that died off on the ship, and they directed everything. A regular prawn could become a leader in the abscence of leaders (ie. Christopher). It's unclear exactly how that controlling actually worked though.

No, they were marginalized refugees, pushed to the edge of society and taken advantage of by both criminals and businesses alike.

You do realize it was an allegorical thing, right? The humans said that the prawns were dumb and must have had a leader class because that's pretty much what people have said about black people.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I didn't think to make all of my pops cybernetic (is this even possible?) before finishing my ascendance, is there any way to convert the rest of them to synthetic? This is admittedly not a terribly pressing concern as I was mostly concerned about the planned obsolescence achievement and the scourge went and ate most of the sector with the biological pops.

imweasel09 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 8, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
At the moment I don't think you can modify or upload any new pops in the Synthetic Evolution path after the initial events hit. Anyone who was still growing or has since migrated will be left out.

I believe this is being addressed in the 1.8 update so you can continue to integrate new pops to your empire.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

imweasel09 posted:

I didn't think to make all of my pops cybernetic (is this eve n possible?) before finishing my ascendance, is there any way to convert the rest of them to synthetic? This is admittedly not a terribly pressing concern as I was mostly concerned about the planned obsolescence achievement and the scourge went and ate most of the sector with the biological pops.

I had a similar problem with the psychic path, from the Horizon Signal in my case. I had a home world full of mutant squid people and only they became psychic.

With the cyborg thing, you can give your meatbags a 0 point species modification to make them cyborgs, but they missed the synth boat.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

No, they were marginalized refugees, pushed to the edge of society and taken advantage of by both criminals and businesses alike.

You do realize it was an allegorical thing, right? The humans said that the prawns were dumb and must have had a leader class because that's pretty much what people have said about black people.

That's not what the people who made the movie say though, the remaining Prawns are definitely a worker caste according to them. The Prawns aren't stupid, but they have major trouble functioning outside their specialized environment and without the officer caste (which is why the ship "crashed" in the first place. This is all stuff that's only directly discussed outside the film, so I think it's perfectly valid to take a death of the author stance if you want.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, gonna have to take the death of the author on that one, it kinda ruins the whole meta narrative if the prawns are actually for real dumb bugs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Idiotic poo poo adds a hell of a lot to Star Ruler, yes I definitely want to spend my entire GDP for the next ten years building a space station with a gigantic artillery cannon big enough to shoot into the next system. Yes I definitely want to build an entire planet devoted to producing ammunition for it. And yes I definitely want to shoot it at the star in the next system until it goes supernova and takes out a decent chunk of the galaxy even though that will take a hundred years to get through the star's HP pool.

Star Ruler is a loving gift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJEMmzKzR4

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I have a couple questions about the mechanics of building these ships.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Some of those ships wouldn't have actually been built in SR1, they were spawned in as an example, but they were technically possible. Planets didn't run out of resources so it was just a matter of pumping a galaxy's worth of resources into a ship for decades.

Star Ruler was insane, but not that fun in action. Star Ruler 2 was a lot more of a game, and you could still make gigantic gently caress off ships and do a lot of crazy stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I never looked at star ruler because everyone just kept posting the ship builder and I'm kind of burnt out on pixel games. Nobody ever told me the galaxy/fight maps were pretty and 3d.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I never looked at star ruler because everyone just kept posting the ship builder and I'm kind of burnt out on pixel games. Nobody ever told me the galaxy/fight maps were pretty and 3d.

Different game; Star Ruler originally had a free form designer where you built a 'proportional' ship, then scaled as appropriately. The difficulty came in knowing what scale you'd need to be building at, and having the infrastructure to build it. Great idea, didn't really translate well.

Star Drive had the tedious ship designer that required coloring in blocks. Dev dumped it for a second version that was almost as bad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, I was having a lot of fun with my game, then I started to get a recurring crash on 2332.03.30, no matter what. Time to start a new game as xenophobic robots or something I guess.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So the OP list seems outdated. Any must-have mods for people?

...also any fleet tips? Because I feel like I'm just not quite getting the hang of fleets and combat. Everything else, I seem to be fine with, but if it's time to fight, I don't quite know what I'm doing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Here my unique race the Farmarians:

+10% farming

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Midnight Voyager posted:

...also any fleet tips? Because I feel like I'm just not quite getting the hang of fleets and combat. Everything else, I seem to be fine with, but if it's time to fight, I don't quite know what I'm doing.

First and foremost, if you're building mixed fleets, take the battleships out of them and put them in their own separate fleet. Only engage with them after your cruisers and destroyers (and corvettes if you're still bothering) get stuck in. You want your BBs to be able to bombard with their big guns for as long as possible, and if you engage with a single stack of mixed ship types the enemy is likely to rush over to your BBs and seriously limit their ability to do much. Stagger your engagements, though, and you'll find that said BBs are suddenly capable of putting a shitload more firepower out with impunity, and any ships that do break to try and gently caress with them are being pursued by your ships that are already in the fight and loving them up.

If you're building all battleship fleets, just keep building more ships with Kinetic Artillery because you eventually hit a critical mass that no AI fleet can realistically defeat. Same for all plasma cruisers, though both of these options are boring.

If you're doing the naked corvette thing, you're even more boring, click too much, and are beyond help.

In terms of general tips, Kinetics are in a really good place right now, so focusing on the railgun path is about as optimal as you can get in this game. XL slots on BBs are certainly usable, especially if you stagger your fleets as described above, but stacking more Kinetic Artillery is generally more viable (I use Tach Lances anyway because I like Space Battleship Yamato too much.)

Avoid missiles after the early game, and honestly probably just avoid them altogether for the time being, save for on your earliest space stations.

Flak effectively supersedes all other forms of point defense and is easier to slot.

Fighters generally aren't worth it, but look cool and can be pretty decent point defense in all battleship fleets for the first few seconds of an engagement.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

+10% farming

Please nerf very op

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

+10% farming

You call yourself a farmer and no Agrarian Paradise?

Could take Rapid Breeders of course. More children means more workforce on those farms. Maybe Improved Society Research, since that controls all farming output. Balance it with Slow Learners and/or Sedentary if needed. Maybe even Repugnant("You born on a farm, son?" "Yeah, so's everyone else at home. Your point?")

(I ain't sure whether it's funny or sad that I can immediately say this sort of thing.)

Still, it's true. The mechanics are bland. Another legacy of Master of Orion 2, of course. They've tried to be safer with what you can do and not do in comparison to it, but it doesn't quite work out. The small changes don't feel meaty.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 8, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Bloodly posted:

You call yourself a farmer and no Agrarian Paradise?

Could take Rapid Breeders of course. More children means more workforce on those farms. Maybe Improved Society Research, since that controls all farming output. Balance it with Slow Learners and/or Sedentary if needed. Maybe even Repugnant("You born on a farm, son?" "Yeah, so's everyone else at home. Your point?")

(I ain't sure whether it's funny or sad that I can immediately say this sort of thing.)

Still, it's true. The mechanics are bland. Another legacy of Master of Orion 2, of course. They've tried to be safer with what you can do and not do in comparison to it, but it doesn't quite work out. The small changes don't feel meaty.

One thing I like about Stellaris is that it does the most of any 4x game recently to break the Moo2 mold.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bloodly posted:

Offering substantially less ability to differentiate a species than MoO2 is a legacy of MoO2? :raise:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

So the OP list seems outdated. Any must-have mods for people?

Step 1) Make a bigger stack of ships than your opponent, with more and higher numbers.

Step 2) Keep all your ships in one stack. Don't split them up unless you massively outnumber and outgun the enemy

Step 3) Chase the enemy fleet around for half an hour as it darts seemingly randomly around the map doing fuckall

Step 4) Give up and go siege the enemy capital

Step 5) The enemy fleet will either siege one of your worlds or go try to unsiege their world. It will completely ignore your fleet now, so go kill it

Step 6) The war is essentially over, so go spend the next hour sieging down and invading literally every single enemy planet while playing whack-a-mole with lone corvettes and destroyers that zip into your space and blow up your civvie stations

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Step 1) Make a bigger stack of ships than your opponent, with more and higher numbers.

Step 2) Keep all your ships in one stack. Don't split them up unless you massively outnumber and outgun the enemy

Step 3) Chase the enemy fleet around for half an hour as it darts seemingly randomly around the map doing fuckall

Step 4) Give up and go siege the enemy capital

Step 5) The enemy fleet will either siege one of your worlds or go try to unsiege their world. It will completely ignore your fleet now, so go kill it

Step 6) The war is essentially over, so go spend the next hour sieging down and invading literally every single enemy planet while playing whack-a-mole with lone corvettes and destroyers that zip into your space and blow up your civvie stations

Play hyperlanes so you can fortify a choke and skip a lot of the annoying part in step 6

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes. They wanted the same race designing-the legacy itself. They didn't want you able to truly gimp yourself either. As was quite possible via Master of Orion 2's race designing. There are many positives, but few negatives or true trades or the just weird stuff(Which was shifted to Ascendancies). Which is probably good, given many of Master 2's choices weren't truly of use, either in terms of lore or play-ability.

But, as stated, it's left with a feeling of 'this doesn't feel like enough'.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

unwantedplatypus posted:

One thing I like about Stellaris is that it does the most of any 4x game recently to break the Moo2 mold.

*cough*Star Ruler 2*cough*

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I feel like you should be able to build a local defense force that functions similarly to a federation fleet. Except it's automated and only patrols your territory. That'd save many a headache instead of trying to manually chase down those random corvettes/destroyers while you're at war.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

I feel like you should be able to build a local defense force that functions similarly to a federation fleet. Except it's automated and only patrols your territory. That'd save many a headache instead of trying to manually chase down those random corvettes/destroyers while you're at war.

Let us build a structure that is analogous to forts in EUIV

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Omniblivion posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802551283

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I just want my loving transports to stay with the military fleet.

I just loving want that much. Don't loving lag behind, godsdamnit!

:negative:

Having to babysit them as hard as I do sucks all the fun out of wars very quickly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I want to be able to batch-attach support units to my armies. It seems that's this game's needlessly-granular Paradox mechanic.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Omniblivion posted:

It doesn't address the problem entirely, but setting the game to hyperlanes-only helps. You also have to go into the game files and make some modifications so no one can use jump drives, which for some reason are not excluded by the hyperlanes-only setting.

I haven't picked up the game in a while but thinking about this was an unpleasant reminder of what a tedious slog wars can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Or you could, you know, just build a fortress with the FTL Inhibitor component in systems with important mining/research bases in them and they can deal with the stray ships for you. When you let your sectors build military bases they'll do this for you, too.

Yes, they will die quickly to an actual fleet but in that time they'll have dragged it to the middle of the system and in the time it takes to slowly pick through all the useless mining stations and fly back to edge of the heliosphere your fleet should have plenty of time to catch up.

• Locked thread