Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Water polo. You may even get Doc Emrick annoucning!

*Emerick voice*
DIIIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like an NCAA all star team would walk over an Olympics with no NHL contract players but I have little data to support this.

Also remember the 1994 Olympics, those were good despite the lack of NHL guys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

I feel like an NCAA all star team would walk over an Olympics with no NHL contract players but I have little data to support this.

They wouldn't full bore dominate since basically no NCAA player is older than 22 but they'd do fairly well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

They wouldn't full bore dominate since basically no NCAA player is older than 22 but they'd do fairly well.

What

A good chunk of seniors are 24 or so since I believe the average NCAA freshman is still 20

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bewbies posted:

Yeah. I think a NCAA team would actually do really well, but Russia with a KHL all-star team is probably better.

I haven't really been keeping up with the olympics drama since Bettman said the NHL isn't going. Did they ever announce anything about teams like Washington who've said they'd let their stars go anyway? Cause if Washington lets Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Orlov go then I think Russia takes the olympics in a walk.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Al Sabotka seen driving zamboni down Woodward in downtown Detroit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What

A good chunk of seniors are 24 or so since I believe the average NCAA freshman is still 20

yeah i typo'd that and meant 23. I was looking at average age. I don't think a lot of teams roll senior-heavy though, or at least the ones I've seen don't. Most of the better players are only putting in a couple years in NCAA before signing their contract from what I've seen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

An AHL team would smoke an NCAA team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Yeah. I'm not so sure an ECHL team wouldn't, if only because of the age/experience difference.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bettman won't even let players from the minors (with a two-way contract) go to Pyeongchang.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

an AHL team without any of the guys on NHL contracts is....an ECHL team. they'd get destroyed by a team that's just the best of the NCAA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I feel like a team of canadian NCAA drafted-but-unsigned players would hold their own but probably not medal. American NCAA kids, probably not as much. I'm just stabbing at that though.

E: Canadian kids at American colleges, that is.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

yellowcar posted:

Bettman won't even let players from the minors (with a two-way contract) go to Pyeongchang.

Well yeah they're subject to the CBA. What kind of AAAA team-only contract guys are there? You know, the Darren Haydar dudes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

I feel like a team of canadian NCAA drafted-but-unsigned players would hold their own but probably not medal. American NCAA kids, probably not as much. I'm just stabbing at that though.

E: Canadian kids at American colleges, that is.

Counterpoint, 1980.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Now I kinda want to see how an ECHL all-star roster would do in that mix.

Horribly, i'm sure, but still :v:

iospace posted:

Counterpoint, 1980.

counter-counterpoint: We lucked out by being in the far weaker of the two divisions. the format is totally different now.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 8, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You only have to be 16 to participate in the Olympics. If you're not using any players with NHL deals, just NCAA/Juniors then I think Canada and the US could still be competitive.

Like, say the NHL didn't go to Sochi. Using the current rules team USA could have brought: Eichel, Matthews, Gaudreau, Galchenyuk, Jones, Trouba, Gostisbehere, Trocheck, Hayes, Gibson, and Hellebuyck to name a few. Sure they would have been younger but the raw talent is there to be competitive against a bunch of other countries who also can't bring NHLers, I think. They would certainly beat an ECHL team.

I'm sure you can do the same experiment for Canada and come up with a pretty solid team.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 8, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I dunno junior level hockey is pretty bad compared to pro hockey even if the talent is there. They'd very likely get destroyed by teams with older pro players who can actually play a structured game

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

The best 23 NCAA players in the country with ample practice time would beat an average AHL team come @ me

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Russia's team in 2014 was two thirds NHL players and they were shut out by Slovakia for 65 minutes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A THING HAS HAPPENED

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/894988311340736514

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The US also poo poo the bed against Finland in the bronze medal game which was hilarious.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
they definitely got their rear end kicked but they were also playing against peak performance Tuukka Rask

the 2014 Olympics sucked though. The only interesting thing I remember is the USA-Russia shootout.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the 2014 Olympics sucked though. The only interesting thing I remember is the USA-Russia shootout.

I remember waking up at 5am for the most boring championship game in the history of any sport ever.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The women's final was great

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
^^^^ This too. That final few minutes :psyduck: ^^^^

ThinkTank posted:

I remember waking up at 5am for the most boring championship game in the history of any sport ever.

For real. The Canada - Latvia game was way more exciting.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Pfft, waking up that early. Should have stayed up all night for it like I did. :smug:

Good god my sleep schedule was horrible during the Sochi Olympics

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You guys don't remember the clutch finals goal by Olympic Gold Medalist Chris Kunitz?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
i miss team young guns

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/895029707409850370

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that fuckin sucks :/

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress :smith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hopefully they caught it early enough.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

ThinkTank posted:

Someone clearly blocked out the Bucs/Raiders and Seahawks/Broncos super bowls

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/895254136001884160

missed opportunity to call it the capital one center

the cap center

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Matt Murray has adopted a new aspect to his game apparently

because

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

someone in PAS needs that as an av right loving now

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
If I wasn't rear end deep in Twin Peaks right now, I would have already.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He's moving far too gracefully for an EA sports goalie.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/895254136001884160

missed opportunity to call it the capital one center

the cap center

And a missed opportunity for fans to refer to it colloquially as the COC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

And a missed opportunity for fans to refer to it colloquially as the COC.

That's where my mind immediately went.

:dong:

• Locked thread