Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Guys! I got off the island.

Now some ugly bitch won't shut up about how awesome I am and how we are "friends."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Friend zoned by ugly bitch. Harsh. Rita will make it all better.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Inimicul posted:

Judging by the roster, the semi-active people who can tag are:

Inimicul
AlexanderDeLarge
Oophelia
Breadbox
Freakmancer

Going to be playing a lot today, so I'll try to keep an eye out for any of you.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
I sent you some tells but you didn't answer :(

I had to log off but if you're on tonight I'll look for you again.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SplashDemon posted:

I sent you some tells but you didn't answer :(

I had to log off but if you're on tonight I'll look for you again.

I totally missed them sorry.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

did battle chemistry rework happen yet? i haven't been on since a month before the graphics update probably. gonna hop on as baram and fart around if anyone can try and get me an invite.

baram. fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 15, 2017

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Looks like you missed the rush. There's three of us online at the same time right now. It's been a while since that's happened.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Inimicul posted:

Looks like you missed the rush. There's three of us online at the same time right now. It's been a while since that's happened.

Wait if you're on right now can I get an invite? I'm in the Serbule area, ign Cirina.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I went to bed after making that post but the others were still on. If you type /who it gives a basic UI for who's in the same zone and allows you to type something for your status. I typically put <GOONS> there so I can be spotted. I encourage others to do the same so it's easier to find each other for invites.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Inimicul posted:

I went to bed after making that post but the others were still on. If you type /who it gives a basic UI for who's in the same zone and allows you to type something for your status. I typically put <GOONS> there so I can be spotted. I encourage others to do the same so it's easier to find each other for invites.

I'll be sure to add that, even if I'm probably gonna be busy for the next few days.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Can you have more than one active pet out with animal handling? I think I got how the stable system works, but are you limited to having one out at a time?

futile
May 18, 2009
So one of the drops from the new level 70 dungeon is a flaming sword that turns like half your attacks into fire damage attacks instead of slashing damage. Pretty loving cool

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kaempfer0080 posted:

Can you have more than one active pet out with animal handling? I think I got how the stable system works, but are you limited to having one out at a time?

I'm pretty sure it's one pet at a time, but I think you can combine it with cross skill pets like the golem and necro pets?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you have two skills active that can have pets you can have up to the total of the two combined plus the initial tame rat skill gotten in the newbie cave or wherever they moved it on the island. Deer form can summon up to two deer followers. Necro can have 2 skeletons (or is it more now?), spider can have up to 3 baby spiders but they're on a timer so it takes near constant killing to keep 3 up at a time. Animal Handling can only have 1 so if your goal is to have a fuckton of pets out as you AFK at the Serbule well, deer / necro is a good choice. Two skeletons, two deer, and a rat. If your goal is to be a beastmaster and actually be useful, then animal handling and necro is probably your best bet but I found AH / spider to be a lot of fun if you had full agro gear going so your pet tanked for you.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

spider can have up to 3 baby spiders but they're on a timer so it takes near constant killing to keep 3 up at a time

Wait, it's on a timer now? Like a duration timer?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

mushroom_spore posted:

Wait, it's on a timer now? Like a duration timer?

It's been a while since I played Spider but I remember constantly having to face-hug the mob I was attacking and hope it survived long enough for a baby spider to burst out of its chest to keep up to 3 going. I got the impression it was like the necro shambling corpse where they started at full health and gradually lost health until it poofed. I don't know if that's changed.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they always had the annoying "keep mob alive this long to spawn pet" mechanic, but the pets never auto-died after that in all the time I mained spider. You just had to use abilities like mentalism auras to heal them in fights (or single target heals I guess but gently caress trying to keep track of and target three individual pets like that), because by itself Spider has no built-in way to support its pets so they did get worn down by enemy attacks and die if you ignored them. Spider is DPS rather than tanky and that kinda goes for the pets too.

If a "pet lifespan" timer has been added in addition to the annoying Incubate startup mechanic that's completely :psyduck:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 20, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Someone got very mad at me for not burying corpses.

I wish that I could tell you it was some nefarious thing because that would've been more interesting than the whiny lamentations of some shut-in manchild it really was.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Someone got very mad at me for not burying corpses.

I wish that I could tell you it was some nefarious thing because that would've been more interesting than the whiny lamentations of some shut-in manchild it really was.

He could be right, but when I started playing this game, buying corpse is a thing that would hurt me. If you bury a corpse, the creature respawn is faster, so I would get into problems (newbie me) with respawing creatures on my face =>getting killed.

And corpses from high level players are sometimes lootable, and had materials that would help me, sometimes items!.

But the most important reason is "Being mad"=>Wrong.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do inactive accounts get deleted? It's not recognizing my email address.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
They changed forums servers almost a year ago but that shouldn't affect being able to log into the game.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Inimicul posted:

They changed forums servers almost a year ago but that shouldn't affect being able to log into the game.

I figured it out and am back in with a new character. I forgot how fun this game is. :)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Any update on the GUI overhaul? The current one is awful at my resolution.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Any update on the GUI overhaul? The current one is awful at my resolution.

Last info I've seen on it is from the July 7th dev blog:

quote:

Case in point: the new GUI is still in internal testing. Even though it's up and running here, there's still so many little bugs, glitches, and loose ends that I'm not exactly sure when it'll be ready for broader testing.

So basically, "soon-ish", but no real ETA.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

how is the 64-bit build?

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Is now a good time to play join this game? This game looks cool. I like this game.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It's always a good time. The development is done by a 3 man team so updates and overhauls don't come too fast to keep up with. There's a ton that can be done and when the game launches in 20?? the only thing that'll be wiped is inventory.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only good time is before the developer starts charging money, and that's using a very generous definition of good.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I'm at about level 16 Sword and 9 Necromancy, what do people think of that as a combo? I actually feel decently powerful for once and I kinda like it, but I'm not sure if it's sustainable.

Fire and Archery seem crazy expensive to level.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Necromancy is in a bad place right now. The skeleton pets don't scale the same way mobs do so at level 20 or so you'll start to feel more and more helpless and rely purely on your other skill while the skeletons become little more than dots that can't take a hit. If you like pet skills, try Animal Handling. It's one of my favorites. Other good combos are mentalism, psychology, and once you can get Shield, it's pretty nice too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Animal Handling isn't in a good place either. Although the pets sort of scale, their handling is buggy and will get you in trouble about as often as they help. Also their skills either don't work half the time or don't do what the wiki says they do.

I see a lot of people pairing mentalism or bard with a skill they want.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Before I took a break I was trying a mixture of Staff/Lycanthropy and Mentalism. Mentalism is pretty neat.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm doing archery/druid and lycan/unarmed, both are pretty cool. Lycan/unarmed has some really sweet trauma damage stacking, archery/druid is archery/druid

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Freakazoid_ posted:

Animal Handling isn't in a good place either. Although the pets sort of scale, their handling is buggy and will get you in trouble about as often as they help. Also their skills either don't work half the time or don't do what the wiki says they do.

Also pets are waay too weak on the health/armor side. They're constantly dead and the revival percentage on first aid kits is a bad joke. It really is a hassle to deal with them.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Health and armor aren't hard to mod for AH. I was able to push my Grim up to better numbers than I had so I'd let it tank and just pop the occasional heal. It pairs very well with druid since you can cripple mobs but agree that AH and any other pet class are just asking for trouble in dungeons. I always kept my cursor close to the X in case I need to emergency dump my pet if it started running into trouble.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Poking at this because wtf is this even? After briefly looking over the skills, I'm thinking of going Mentalism/Unarmed. Is that viable? Dumb? Who cares just play?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Unarmed with any skill that heals is extremely viable

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Unarmed with any skill that heals is extremely viable

Dope! This game is extremely enamoring, despite also being weird and terrible. Can't decide if I like it because I like bad games, or because there is something magical under the rough EQ1-era-graphics-esque exterior. I'll try and be on when someone else is because this game seems better with people probably?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
From a game mechanics perspective, grouping isn't as rewarding in this as in other games other than making content trivial by throwing more bodies at it. I tend to dislike grouping since the UI for it is bad and there's not really a clear benefit for class specialization. You won't really find a dedicated healer or taunting tank, for example. They can be made but it requires a lot of gear and planning to do. Instead of starting a group and asking if anyone has a gear set they like to fill a class reminiscent of other games, most people just run what they normally do or whatever they're working on.

From a "Hey dude let's kill poo poo" perspective, grouping is always fun no matter what game it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Inimicul posted:

From a game mechanics perspective, grouping isn't as rewarding in this as in other games other than making content trivial by throwing more bodies at it. I tend to dislike grouping since the UI for it is bad and there's not really a clear benefit for class specialization. You won't really find a dedicated healer or taunting tank, for example. They can be made but it requires a lot of gear and planning to do. Instead of starting a group and asking if anyone has a gear set they like to fill a class reminiscent of other games, most people just run what they normally do or whatever they're working on.

From a "Hey dude let's kill poo poo" perspective, grouping is always fun no matter what game it is.

Ah, yes, sorry, I meant from a "killing poo poo and shooting the poo poo with goons is more fun than being a lone wolf". Probably. Goons.