Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

the united states and the EU would have been much more willing to support ukraine, which wants desperately to join the american sphere, overtly or covertly to retake its territory

says who? the EU has substantive energy deals with russia, and there is no political will to confront russia militarily in the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Another thing that complicates just accepting option 1 is the fear that North Korea might sell nuclear weapons to terrorists. We don't believe Russia or China would ever do that, so MAD makes more sense with them. Thats what it would probably take to get me to accept option 2, would be if the military could somehow convince me that option 1 won't work.

yeah, there's really just no sensible way to accept (1) without basically deciding to end north korea's isolation because you need them to start having a real stake in global affairs not going to poo poo and you want the kims to stop needing to sell anything and everything they can get to get hard currency to prop up their rule

which is why this is such a terrible situation to have trump as president in

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

Or because you put a dash at the beginning, which Excel will go stir crazy if you do (I use Excel to organize QC related issues). Drove me insane trying to figure out wtf the problem was.

I missed excel chat earlier today. I'm a spreadsheet monkey and everyone in our department is by necessity very good at excel. (If you can't pass a basic timed excel test out of college, we probably won't hire you) Once you get comfortable with writing macros, you can do some really crazy time-saving stuff. I think the point that accelerated my ability with Excel more than anything else was when I figured out how to browse through lists of excel formulas and see something that would do what I need, even if I never used or saw that formula before.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 8, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

says who? the EU has substantive energy deals with russia, and there is no political will to confront russia militarily in the EU.

because russia has nuclear weapons which dramatically changes the calculus of what you tolerate out of them

it is bad loving news when nutjob countries start taking pieces out of their neighbors and if it could have been stopped it would have, but given that russia is a nuclear power, that calculus changes

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wag the Dog was supposed to be a satire, not a premonition.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

because russia has nuclear weapons which dramatically changes the calculus of what you tolerate out of them

it is bad loving news when nutjob countries start taking pieces out of their neighbors and if it could have been stopped it would have, but given that russia is a nuclear power, that calculus changes

says who? you seem to be saying that, if russia didn't have nuclear weapons, the EU would be acting differently, and i see absolutely no evidence for that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

botany posted:

says who? you seem to be saying that, if russia didn't have nuclear weapons, the EU would be acting differently, and i see absolutely no evidence for that.

I mean the difference in the state of play in global politics in a hypothetical world where Russia didn't have nuclear weapons is so enormous that the counterfactual is basically worthless.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

which is why this is such a terrible situation to have trump as president in

evergreen post

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

says the long history of the eu/us intervening in wars and conflicts between two states (or within a state) when those states don't have nuclear weapons

it would probably be driven more by the us than the eu but the eu would probably get dragged along

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The utterly insane thing about posturing that a nuclear NK doesn't dramatically shift the balance of power and what NK is capable of getting away with is that it completely ignores literally every part of history since Nagasaki. Botany posturing that the EU handling Russia relations now being no different than a non-nuclear Russia literally ignores like the single most important aspect of modern history in that region. It wasn't even that long ago that Russia threatened deployment of tactical nuclear battalions.

Almost as if there is no self-awareness as to what exactly has shaped geopolitics over the last 70 years.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The guy from the Apprentice with the weird hair should be president.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ague Proof posted:

The guy from the Apprentice with the weird hair should be president.

I agree. - America

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boon posted:

The utterly insane thing about posturing that a nuclear NK doesn't dramatically shift the balance of power and what NK is capable of getting away with is that it completely ignores literally every part of history since Nagasaki.

Almost as if there is no self-awareness as to what exactly has shaped geopolitics over the last 70 years.

pakistan exporting nuclear technology to north korea for cold hard cash is a geopolitical event that is worth considering here

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Blorange posted:

Ukraine itself is a perfect example of what happens to states that surrender their nuclear capabilities. Any promise the US could make would be taken in light of the one Ukraine got in 1994, and how well that worked out.

To be fair, both sides having nukes hasn't always stopped border conflicts. The Soviets and Chinese fought one in 1969, after all. It helps, but I'm not sure it would have stopped the conflict between Ukraine and Russia. The Crimea was always going to be a problem, one way or another.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the difference in the state of play in global politics in a hypothetical world where Russia didn't have nuclear weapons is so enormous that the counterfactual is basically worthless.

i don't think it is, except in the sense that if russia had never had nuclear weapons the last decades would have played out differently. but looking at the state of affairs right now, and pretending russia doesn't have nukes, i'm not convinced anything really changes. i feel like US posters here underestimate the degree to which other countries are economically integrated with russia, and overestimating how much political backlash there is with respect to russian foreign operations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I really miss the QuidProQuo "let's play presidential elections". At least we got to elect the Anti-Masonic Party. :v:

oh god, im so sorry. it was just so much work and i had declining free time.

i still feel bad for how i handled that thread (and ending it the cycle before debs).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

says the long history of the eu/us intervening in wars and conflicts between two states (or within a state) when those states don't have nuclear weapons

it would probably be driven more by the us than the eu but the eu would probably get dragged along

this is probably accurate. the EU would likely be dragged into a conflict on behalf of the US.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

would nuclear winter counter-act global warming

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Majorian posted:

To be fair, both sides having nukes hasn't always stopped border conflicts. The Soviets and Chinese fought one in 1969, after all. It helps, but I'm not sure it would have stopped the conflict between Ukraine and Russia. The Crimea was always going to be a problem, one way or another.

Also the Kargil War.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

AriadneThread posted:

I can actually see a foxnation piece making that exact argument. "So what if there's nuclear devastation?"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

AriadneThread posted:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110223-nuclear-war-winter-global-warming-environment-science-climate-change/

quote:

To see what climate effects such a regional nuclear conflict might have, scientists from NASA and other institutions modeled a war involving a hundred Hiroshima-level bombs, each packing the equivalent of 15,000 tons of TNT—just 0.03 percent of the world's current nuclear arsenal. (See a National Geographic magazine feature on weapons of mass destruction.)

The researchers predicted the resulting fires would kick up roughly five million metric tons of black carbon into the upper part of the troposphere, the lowest layer of the Earth's atmosphere.

In NASA climate models, this carbon then absorbed solar heat and, like a hot-air balloon, quickly lofted even higher, where the soot would take much longer to clear from the sky.

The global cooling caused by these high carbon clouds wouldn't be as catastrophic as a superpower-versus-superpower nuclear winter, but "the effects would still be regarded as leading to unprecedented climate change," research physical scientist Luke Oman said during a press briefing Friday at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington, D.C.

Earth is currently in a long-term warming trend. After a regional nuclear war, though, average global temperatures would drop by 2.25 degrees F (1.25 degrees C) for two to three years afterward, the models suggest.

At the extreme, the tropics, Europe, Asia, and Alaska would cool by 5.4 to 7.2 degrees F (3 to 4 degrees C), according to the models. Parts of the Arctic and Antarctic would actually warm a bit, due to shifted wind and ocean-circulation patterns, the researchers said.

After ten years, average global temperatures would still be 0.9 degree F (0.5 degree C) lower than before the nuclear war, the models predict.

nasa yearns for nuclear holocaust

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

Only temporarily, once the cooling period ended there'd be a period of rapid warming that would put the global temperature above what it currently is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can someone clarify this for me:

This whole "North Korea can miniaturize a nuclear warhead to be carried by an ICBM" thing is not from any announcement or test from North Korea, right?

It's from the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency (the place where the Cohen-Watnick guy came from), their assessment of the current state of NK nuclear capability. Right?

If that's the case, I don't trust it at all in that I can totally see this being ginned up by Trump to cause a tempest (which of course it has) to distract from the other whirlpool of poo poo circling ever more tightly around his hairpiece.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Lol just lol if you think any EU country would have the political will or the military might to fight a sustained campaign in Ukraine

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

AriadneThread posted:

This is why Trump pulled us out of the Paris Agreement, he knew we wouldn't need it! 5D chess!

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
This might have been posted, it's hard to keep up sometimes but this is a good* well written account of our reality with NK.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-worst-problem-on-earth/528717/

* I can't really let a word like "good" sit unassociated near this article because it is pretty loving grim

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 9, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

The utterly insane thing about posturing that a nuclear NK doesn't dramatically shift the balance of power and what NK is capable of getting away with is that it completely ignores literally every part of history since Nagasaki. Botany posturing that the EU handling Russia relations now being no different than a non-nuclear Russia literally ignores like the single most important aspect of modern history in that region. It wasn't even that long ago that Russia threatened deployment of tactical nuclear battalions.

Ok so if your theory was true, aren't we well past the breaking point? North Korea has had nuclear weapons for years now. It is already too late.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/895032388312498177

Trump is too hawkish for John loving McCain :stare:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

i don't think it is, except in the sense that if russia had never had nuclear weapons the last decades would have played out differently. but looking at the state of affairs right now, and pretending russia doesn't have nukes, i'm not convinced anything really changes. i feel like US posters here underestimate the degree to which other countries are economically integrated with russia, and overestimating how much political backlash there is with respect to russian foreign operations.

You, of course, realize that there are significant BMD investments being made in Europe right now, correct? Also, this.
http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2017/05/russian-lawmaker-we-would-use-nukes-if-us-or-nato-enters-crimea/138230/

You act like this hasn't been a repeated occurrence since the loving cold war

Trabisnikof posted:

Ok so if your theory was true, aren't we well past the breaking point? North Korea has had nuclear weapons for years now. It is already too late.

Probably not, but it's quickly approaching. Previously NK hasn't been able to miniaturize a warhead for an ICBM or even an SRBM. ICBM's are significantly different when it comes to missile defense and as they improve their technology it's possible that the threat becomes insurmountable.

Until this report, NK did not have a means to effectively deliver the force of a nuclear blast. Now they do, the question becomes at what point do they achieve missile technology that can reliably and quickly launch.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 9, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also the Kargil War.

Indeed, that's probably an even better analogue to the Crimea clusterfuck, since it's a diverse area with civilians and partisans favoring one power over the other to rule the region.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Okay, but would he do anything to stop Trump?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

QuoProQuid posted:

oh god, im so sorry. it was just so much work and i had declining free time.

i still feel bad for how i handled that thread (and ending it the cycle before debs).

:glomp: The reason I miss it is that it was goddamn amazing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

This whole "North Korea can miniaturize a nuclear warhead to be carried by an ICBM" thing is not from any announcement or test from North Korea, right?

It's from the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency (the place where the Cohen-Watnick guy came from), their assessment of the current state of NK nuclear capability. Right?

If that's the case, I don't trust it at all in that I can totally see this being ginned up by Trump to cause a tempest (which of course it has) to distract from the other whirlpool of poo poo circling ever more tightly around his hairpiece.

This is from a little while ago but it's a good article. https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/09/north-korea-fifth-nuclear-test-kim-jong-un-why/499490/

And no, this isn't being ginned up in general.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Electric Phantasm posted:

What can he do? Congress has the power to declare war, but it hasn't done so since WWII. VIetnam, Iraq, Afghanistan have all been Presidential actions.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

AriadneThread posted:

Futurama stated that climate change worked out in the end because nuclear winter counteracted global warming...

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I can actually see a foxnation piece making that exact argument. "So what if there's nuclear devastation?"
And Futurama was a Fox show. They've been laying the groundwork for this since the turn of the century! :tinfoil:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Objurium posted:

Can we talk about how autism spectrum this body language is though? What the actual gently caress

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/895007616291799040

Oh Twump! So tough so leaderly. Big stwong man!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would being very concerned work?

Then probably not, I'm afraid.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zwabu posted:

Nuclear bombs are 1940s era technology, ICBMs are 1950s era technology. The only part that is objectively hard about making nuclear ICBMs is that getting and refining nuclear material is hard. But we know that NK has done that so there wasn't really anything supernaturally difficult about the rest.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

You, of course, realize that there are significant BMD investments being made in Europe right now, correct?

Also, this.
http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2017/05/russian-lawmaker-we-would-use-nukes-if-us-or-nato-enters-crimea/138230/

You act like this hasn't been a repeated occurrence since the loving cold war

yes, I do, that's actually sort of my point. we've seen the exact same kind of rhetoric from all sides since the 50s, along with warnings that nuclear war was just around the corner. meanwhile, the EU and russia have progressively become more and more integrated economically, and the big scary war hasn't happened. which european country has an interest in starting a military confrontation with russia in your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Zwabu posted:

first, cohen-watnick was a minor middle management figure during his time at dni. the reason why he was appointed to a senior position at nsc is still an unknown

second, dni's assessment on this latest development is not yet consensus within the intelligence community. it would track with north korea's increasing activity over the past few years, what the regime itself has promised, and what third-party experts have reported. we still, however, don't know if the assessment is correct.

during the lead-up to iraq, there were various leaks suggesting that analysts were unhappy with their findings and that something seriously fishy was happening with the intelligence process. these leaks were not widely reported on or pursued, but you would probably hear rumors about trumpian malfeance if there was any.

((i also kind of doubt the administration possesses the competence or the ties to dni to "gin up" a credible intelligence assessment))

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2017

• Locked thread