Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dany is probably genuinely barren in the show.

I honestly can't believe the show will end with her and Jon playing King & Queen.

She's not and they won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They have implied as late as Season 6 that she's barren.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Isn't that part of the spoilers for this season too?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dany dies along with Drogon (him being "Light Bringer") suicide bombing the Night King. Calling it now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harton posted:

I for one will be sad when we lose my new favorite character next week.

Ser Big Dickon Tarley of the Reach Around

He died as he lived, flaming on a pole.

I think he got burned worse by Bronn.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
if you think dany being barren and jon being undead are insurmountable obstacles to a relatively cliche happy ending for the show, you have a lot more faith in where this poo poo is going than I do

like man, those leaked spoilers....

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

wizard on a water slide posted:

if you think dany being barren and jon being undead are insurmountable obstacles to a relatively cliche happy ending for the show, you have a lot more faith in where this poo poo is going than I do

like man, those leaked spoilers....

It's not like one of them dying and the survivor going "I'm too old for this poo poo" isn't also a cliche.

I think that the show pretty much has to end with a "but was it all worth it?" note, it will be sappy but it won't be happily ever after.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

etalian posted:

I think he got burned worse by Bronn.

lol touché. Bronn is too good for this show.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dragonbowl get hype

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope tyrion finally gets to go back home to the shire

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

hitchensgoespop posted:

Have any of Preston Jacobs theories actually been proven to be true or is too early in the books?

Preston Jacobs Is Canon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

this show ordinarily only does poo poo like that when magic is explicitly involved

Well, there is the dragon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

He looks like he's put on one of the weird and hosed up armours from Dark Souls.

that's why it was cool.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Gendry is going to end up on the Iron Throne after warhammering everyone in the face

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I guess Bran knew he'd be fine because of his Shining, but I can't help that think Littlefinger's only good move when it became clear that Brandon knew things would have been to knife the cripple and try to spin the resulting chaos.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

His ending theory, which is actually one of the least ridiculous and more interesting of his wild flights of fancy, is that ASOIAF is taking place in the twilight of an apocalyptic event ("The Long Night") that was caused by technology, ala nuclear war or alien invasion, rather than magic gone awry. The idea is that advanced technology explains a lot of the inexplicable elements of the series - like the architectural marvels of Storm's End and The Wall - and that things like the inexplicably backward, infinitely large Stark tombs were actually the fallout shelters that kept the "First Men" who survived nuclear winter alive. You can run with this idea to all sorts of weird places; all the bloodline-linked magic is actually the product of genetic mutation, the dragons that "hatched from an egg in the sky" were introduced alien lifeforms, etc. It also suggests that maybe Westeros's hosed up seasons are because the planet's climate or even orbit or something was deeply, apocalyptic hosed.

The evidence is mostly circumstantial, since it's a tinfoil hat theory, but hangs a lot on the sense of "missing history" that permeates the world; we know that the history of the Night's Watch is inexplicably missing prior to the 13th or 14th commander, we know the maesters (who basically represent the whole of Westerosi academia) have more overreaching influence and more of an agenda than is readily apparent to the people they "serve" which may include deliberately concealing this history and advanced tech, and so forth. Also with the fact that Martin was primarily a sci-fi writer who borrowed a LOT of names, concepts, and themes from his sci-fi for ASOIAF to the point that it could be taking place in one corner of a shared universe.

I think it'd be a cool ending just because of how many book readers and show watchers alike would poo poo their pants with rage.

I'm fully preparing myself for a sci fi ending as well

That or the entire war is settled in Westeros and then the victor hears rumors of a Yellow King in the Far East or something

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I guess Bran knew he'd be fine because of his Shining, but I can't help that think Littlefinger's only good move when it became clear that Brandon knew things would have been to knife the cripple and try to spin the resulting chaos.

"I have only ever loved one Stark. Only one.

Your Sister."

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 9, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chaos is a laters!
*stands Bran and moonwalks out of scene

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Skinty McEdger posted:

There's a line in the next episode apparently where Brienne admits she thinks Arya was playing with her and if she had wanted her dead she could have done so at any time. Which is gonna piss a lot of people who were already upset by them being an even match.

That's dumb. I thought an even match was perfect.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

His ending theory, which is actually one of the least ridiculous and more interesting of his wild flights of fancy, is that ASOIAF is taking place in the twilight of an apocalyptic event ("The Long Night") that was caused by technology, ala nuclear war or alien invasion, rather than magic gone awry. The idea is that advanced technology explains a lot of the inexplicable elements of the series - like the architectural marvels of Storm's End and The Wall - and that things like the inexplicably backward, infinitely large Stark tombs were actually the fallout shelters that kept the "First Men" who survived nuclear winter alive. You can run with this idea to all sorts of weird places; all the bloodline-linked magic is actually the product of genetic mutation, the dragons that "hatched from an egg in the sky" were introduced alien lifeforms, etc. It also suggests that maybe Westeros's hosed up seasons are because the planet's climate or even orbit or something was deeply, apocalyptic hosed.

The evidence is mostly circumstantial, since it's a tinfoil hat theory, but hangs a lot on the sense of "missing history" that permeates the world; we know that the history of the Night's Watch is inexplicably missing prior to the 13th or 14th commander, we know the maesters (who basically represent the whole of Westerosi academia) have more overreaching influence and more of an agenda than is readily apparent to the people they "serve" which may include deliberately concealing this history and advanced tech, and so forth. Also with the fact that Martin was primarily a sci-fi writer who borrowed a LOT of names, concepts, and themes from his sci-fi for ASOIAF to the point that it could be taking place in one corner of a shared universe.

I think it'd be a cool ending just because of how many book readers and show watchers alike would poo poo their pants with rage.

That would be awesome, I still like the fantasy-as-post-apocalyptic-sci-fi idea even though Adventure Time totally ruined and discredited it forever.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chaos is a laters!
*stands Bran and moonwalks out of scene

"The fall breaks them."

*Picks up Bran and throws him out of the tower, again*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well Bran didn't reveal exactly how much he knows, just enough to make Petyr shook and questioning.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So if the gold got to KL why are they gonna be unable to pay the iron bank? Do they have to spend the gold on grain now?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They are able to pay the Iron Bank.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

As a historian somewhat familiar with ancient rock art, I got a chuckle out of the cave scene. The primitive sun symbols and whatever were ok I guess, and based on actual stuff that we have found in ancient sites (though you see they tried really hard to copy the swastika-like sun symbols and added a bunch of lines so it doesn't look like a swastika). Apparently the whitewalkers arrange corpses in these patterns earlier in the show, which is cool.

The other poo poo with the people and children and white walkers is really terrible and don't resemble any actual cave art, or the other cave art seen earlier in the scene (the other poo poo is red and they are white and blue). One explanation is that they just dropped the ball on that scene.

I like the theory that Jon Snow drew them himself, just to trick Daenerys into helping him. Those two panels are so bad and inconsistent with the other symbolic art that it seems it was intentional, and perhaps meant to imply to the audience that Jon drew it. Another clue is that the white walkers (which Jon actually saw himself) are super detailed, whereas the first men and the children of the forest (which he didn't see) are super vague stick figures which he drew vaguely on purpose to avoid including details that would contradict any knowledge of those groups that Daenerys might have which he is unaware of. Whereas, you would imagine that if those people had been drawing themselves, they might put in a bit more effort.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pretty sure LF is aware of how distrusted he is by literally everybody in Winterfell and that he'd be the top suspect of any Bran related stabbings.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The cave things were drawn by magical elves or martians or whatever though. I don't think they're fake news, sad.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

twoday posted:

As a historian somewhat familiar with ancient rock art, I got a chuckle out of the cave scene. The primitive sun symbols and whatever were ok I guess, and based on actual stuff that we have found in ancient sites (though you see they tried really hard to copy the swastika-like sun symbols and added a bunch of lines so it doesn't look like a swastika). Apparently the whitewalkers arrange corpses in these patterns earlier in the show, which is cool.

The other poo poo with the people and children and white walkers is really terrible and don't resemble any actual cave art, or the other cave art seen earlier in the scene (the other poo poo is red and they are white and blue). One explanation is that they just dropped the ball on that scene.

I like the theory that Jon Snow drew them himself, just to trick Daenerys into helping him. Those two panels are so bad and inconsistent with the other symbolic art that it seems it was intentional, and perhaps meant to imply to the audience that Jon drew it. Another clue is that the white walkers (which Jon actually saw himself) are super detailed, whereas the first men and the children of the forest (which he didn't see) are super vague stick figures which he drew vaguely on purpose to avoid including details that would contradict any knowledge of those groups that Daenerys might have which he is unaware of. Whereas, you would imagine that if those people had been drawing themselves, they might put in a bit more effort.

What's that image in the upper right?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Also, if the people who drew that poo poo were actually fighting white walkers and chose to draw it specifically in a cave full of dragon glass on the other end of the continent, you would think they would have included some picture of dragon glass defeating them, or there would have been some evidence of mining or something, but no, it just seems to be a random cave with rock art and dragon glass and then some doodles of humanoids

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lycus posted:

They are able to pay the Iron Bank.

That's not what the episode 5 summary says. And narratively, the way things have been leading, it'd make a lot more sense for them to be unable to pay.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dead wildlings from 1x01.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The children of the forest should have left some IKEA looking poo poo in that cave.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it's from some earlier battle sequence north of the wall, no idea what the symbol is. A tree? Like that magic tree they have up there?

Edit:

Sorry I was looking at the spiral, the spiral is the tree:

I have no idea what the circle is

twoday fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 9, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

twoday posted:

Anyway what you're describing is exactly how it would have been if it were written by GRRM, but it's not.

twoday
May 4, 2005

You're probably right and I'm sure it will never be explained, but it makes sense different colors of dye were historically very hard to come by and the sudden use of a new color could indicate that someone with access to chalk came around at a later date. Whatever, it doesn't really affect the plot and I'm not trying to convince anyone, I'm just having fun playing fantasy-tv-show-archaeologist :viggo:

Whether it's cannon or not I like to imagine Jon being frustrated with Daeny not believing his story just because she hasn't seen it, and then finding this cave and being awed by the artwork he found, and then hatching a plan to convince her by showing her visible evidence. And it's funny to imagine him standing there for hours drawing in detail the white walkers which haunt his nightmares, and then doing a real half-assed job of drawing the other stuff and running back to the castle feeling all clever

twoday fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 9, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

was it a happy coincidence or intentional that the last episode aired on the 72nd anniversary of truman's decision to drop the bomb on hiroshima?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GRRM did write something:

quote:

The passageway Arianne had chosen for herself turned steep and wet within a hundred feet. The footing grew uncertain. Once she slipped, and had to catch herself to keep from sliding. More than once she considered turning back, but she could see Ser Daemon’s torch ahead and hear him calling for Elia, so she pressed on. And all at once she found herself in another cavern, five times as big as the last one, surrounded by a forest of stone columns. Daemon Sand moved to her side and raised his torch. “Look how the stone’s been shaped,” he said. “Those columns, and the wall there. See them?”

“Faces,” said Arianne. So many sad eyes, staring.

“This place belonged to the children of the forest.”

“A thousand years ago.” Arianne turned her head. “Listen. Is that Joss?”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's a Theta which is a recurrent theme in the show and also a sign of the Engineers who terraform planets and furthermore...

-preston

But seriously it's what the Nights Watch in the opening of the show find. Then they go back and it's gone and the bodies are wights and they get murked.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

why did they draw the WW naked when they clearly wear ice klingon outfits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Don't kink-shame the Children.

• Locked thread