Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Let's talk about a few of the newly-released supplements.

Between Two Worlds

This is the Victims of the Demon Lord supplement for fauns, expanding on their Ancestry choices with some setting information, tons of new tables, alternative level 4 Expert Faun options and two new Expert Paths that let you lean into the two sides of the faun. The tables are standard Demon Lord stuff, with the addition of being able to get equipment and other stuff depending on your rolls. Of note are an option that literally just transforms you into an elf, an old leshy friend, a deeper bond with another character that lets you grant them an extra boon when you help them, a book of magic, and a pet dog! The level 4 Expert Faun options let you develop down the path of evil, becoming more like a devil, or leaning into your fae heritage and making you better with animals.

The first new Path is Hellion, which focuses on mind-controlling creatures into doing evil things so that you get bonuses. You also lose all your Marks of Darkness and never gain any more, letting you blend in more easily. Then there's the Satyr, which is about becoming more like a fae, with all the benefits and problems that brings. You get fae spell defense and their immunity to being charmed/compelled, but you also get iron vulnerability. You grow big-rear end horns that you can use to gore people for 1d6 damage and charge. Then you get some panpipes that you can use to put afflictions on people.

Overall, this is a fine Victims supplement with a little more than the usual. Both of the Paths are really good, and this feels like it fleshes out the Faun a lot.

Pull of the Stars

Space-traveling adventures in the style of a dark Jules Verne, this supplement details the solar system of Urth. As expected, it's dark and grim as hell, but with lots of small details and interesting things that really just makes me want to run a space-centric campaign. Space travel is done through portals on Urth, which are very rare and have deleterious effects when used. There are rules for vacuum, low and high gravity, void exposure and casting spells in the vacuum. One of the gas giants, Voulge, has moons with things like: a city of necromancers living on the bloated corpse of some giant alien, a bunch of reens locked in an eternal war of construction and destruction and an abandoned tower to the New God. There are a pair of planets connected by an impossible space bridge where one of the planets has some crazy poo poo going on that calls out to mad people. There's Vos, a planet entirely ruled by ghosts after being conquered long ago by the Demon Lord, and Depth, a world covered in thick seas and fungal forests and home to the ruins of an ancient civilization. Tempest is another gas giant with moons that have: a world covered in an eternal war between spacemen and oozes and a lost ancient colony of artists that were overtaken by a plant parasite that almost conquered Urth long ago.There's also a failed star that burns with hate on the edge of the system and Urth's moon Tarterus, which is a prison for poor souls covered in monsters.

Finally there's rules for a monster type called the Mooncalf, which is really weird and can be applied to any character type creature and gives them some strange abilities. Some space encounter ideas and adventure seeds round out the book.

This is probably one of my favorite supplements, and it is far better than most of the existing setting info. It inspires me and and makes me actually want to use the base setting to explore this weird and crazy space nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

:stare: gently caress yes

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

My next SotDL campaign is definitely starting as 0-level prisoners...on the moon.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

big bag of nacho cheese posted:

My next SotDL campaign is definitely starting as 0-level prisoners...on the moon.

Me, on Serf's discord server an hour and a half ago

caedwalla posted:

I want a level 0 adventure set on Tarterus
gotta escape the fuckin' moon

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

Yeah, I completely missed this. This looks pretty rad.

I still need to pick up that book of alternate rules/gridless combat, and will probably pick this up too.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"Okay, I know how this looks, but just hear me out..."

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Pull of the Stars include rules for space travel?

Serf
May 5, 2011

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Does Pull of the Stars include rules for space travel?

Getting to other worlds is accomplished by using portals. There are some rules for being in null gravity, and if you can fly you can fly in space. But there are no rules for like spaceships or anything like that. Apparently Rob has plans to include a full space-adventures supplement at some point.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Getting to other worlds is accomplished by using portals. There are some rules for being in null gravity, and if you can fly you can fly in space. But there are no rules for like spaceships or anything like that. Apparently Rob has plans to include a full space-adventures supplement at some point.

I will laugh if the space adventures take place ~40,000 years after the events of the core book.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Serf posted:

When I saw that helmet guy picture from earlier I wistfully hoped that interplanetary travel consisted simply of getting shot out of a cannon or something and having to jive and juke your way through space until you hit your destination. This would be totally bad rear end in my opinion. Like you have to avoid getting shredded by meteor showers like in the picture or getting snatched out of the void by some giant space worm.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So how's the Freeport stuff?

Do the SotDL rules work okay with the setting?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Has anyone tried stringing together a bunch of the adventures into an Adventure Path of sorts?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Angrymog posted:

Has anyone tried stringing together a bunch of the adventures into an Adventure Path of sorts?

That's literally what Tales of the Demon Lord is - ten adventures in a row with a common thread running through.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gort posted:

That's literally what Tales of the Demon Lord is - ten adventures in a row with a common thread running through.

I know, but I was wondering about all the others - do any of them flow nicely together?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Angrymog posted:

I know, but I was wondering about all the others - do any of them flow nicely together?

Not really. There's some advice on how to integrate them into a campaign, but they mostly stand alone. I used one of them as a filler of sorts during my personal campaign.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Angrymog posted:

Yeah I've been running a game where my party started with dead by Dawn, moved to a nearby village with Blood will Run then did Witching Wood in a nearby village. I modified witching wood to be of a more appropriate difficulty level and wove in the old tree from dead by Dawn as sort of an act boss. From there the party moved into the city and we're starting in the middle of Tales now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

So how's the Freeport stuff?

Do the SotDL rules work okay with the setting?

The Freeport stuff is really good. I posted a review of the Companion PDF a ways up in the thread. Half of it is all very good stuff and the other half is tons of NPC statblocks that could be of variable usefulness depending on how you want to use it. The adventures on the other hand are uniformly great. It feels like Rob has a way better grasp on the system and the challenges are a lot less likely to earn you a TPK while the story and mysteries lean less on Demon Lord grossout stuff and more on being a genuinely interesting series of mysteries to solve. I highly recommend it as something for GMs to study for proper encounter balancing.

Last Thursday I ran "The Feast of the Father" which is best described as Lovecraft's "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" meets James Gunn's "Slither". The adventure itself is pretty short but describes the small town of Argron's Dock pretty well, has a few nice encounters with two large setpiece battles. During my run of it the players were genre-aware enough to not get pulled into the main event: a huge feast wherein the villagers gorge themselves on raw and rotten meat and then poo poo out swarms of parasitic telepath worms. Instead the players befriended the Zadok Allan-esque Jelcum, who told them about the village's mind worm problem. They skipped out on the feast and thanks to some clever doing got down into the catacombs below the town's burned shrine to the Old Gods and confronted the mind worm. They killed the beast and snapped the minds of the whole town in the process, driving everyone irrevocably insane. They did manage to save Jelcum though and left the town with the intention of sending the Inquisition back to burn the place to the ground.

We had an interesting party, composed of

an Adept/Paladin who was mostly about self-buffing with Fire and Nature spells and then expending castings for Divine Smites
a Priest/Paladin that buffed people with Spiritualism and made for a pretty decent lazylord.
a Rogue/Agent who did most of the investigating and opened the way into the temple and scored the killing blow on the mind worm.
and a Warrior/Fighter who fought with a shield in one hand and a sling in the other, taking two shots a turn until they charged into the fray with one of their many other weapons.

Overally it was a ton of fun to run and it went well. Lasted almost exactly 3 hours and was nicely self-contained but with plenty of hooks for future adventures.

This Thursday, at 7:00 PM EST, I'll be running "The Man Who Fell to Urth", which is a Master-level adventure. I want to see how the game plays at the top level, so I'm running it for 10th-level adventurers. If you want to take part, can sign up here!

I'm also considering running a Godless adventure this Sunday at around 5:00 PM EST, but I'm still looking at options on what exactly to run. You don't need to have Godless to participate, as there is totally room for waywarm Urthians to find their way to the Land of Blood and Fire through portals and fae tricks. I'll find a good adventure and throw up a sign-up slot on the Google Sheet soon.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My party decided they want to kill Lucretia in her castle before she assaults the town. Any good castle assault/infiltration dungeon crawl type adventures that you can recommend, thread?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wanted to mention the game I'm running because I'm sure I'll come running to the thread for help, and in particular I need some advice or ideas for future adventures.

The game takes place in the Northern Reach, just east of Foundry on the foot hills of those mountains that block the desolation. I'm taking a few liberties with the setting, mostly that the north is cold, and the crusaders (as the players are learning) are/were a heretical branch of the New God that have the traditions of Life, Battle, and Necromancy (yes I know this is the exact opposite of what the book says the new god is all about, but I'm working backwards towards a justification towards it. Mostly I've been impressing upon the players that, if you're a real devout crusader, you give your soul to the lord and your duty doesn't end, even in death. They've seen one "vigilant" so far, which is just a zombie.).

So far the players are basically all youths/teenagers from a very small village that was threatened by a spirit that could enrage animals and lead them towards increasingly intelligent and coordinated attacks. To kill it they had to travel and find a "holy standard" that would give them the power they needed to seal away the spirit (a small piece of the Deamon Lord's shadow); this magic standard and their ties to their village were both to impart some structure and order to the group to keep them from being murder hobos.

So, at this point, the party has found an old retired crusader, convinced to go on one last mission, pledged themselves to the standard,which they did not like because they've seen that the lord tends not let you go, and I played up that after they took their oath they were feeling some magical compulsion weighing on them. They returned to their hometown and stopped the spirit, but the old man died and now the party controls/is responsible for the standard, which gives them both some obligations and privileges in the society, they're now sort of a cross between a sheriff or wandering do-gooder and a feudal servant of the local lord, who may call on them to help with bad things.

So, that has taken the players from level 0 - 1 during their first adventure, which now sets up a one year "break" between adventures where each player character chooses how they'll spend their time. From those choices I'm going to build out single scene "mini adventurers" that represent some dangerous moment within the year. For example, the one response I've gotten so far is for a player who's a magicians because he has a spirit/presence hanging around him, changing him. He's had it as long as he can remember, he thought it was an imaginary friend when he was little; he's going to spend the year traveling to remote religious or magical places, trying to both avoid most people and come to understand the power/entity that is near or perhaps in him (his inspiration is the Dark Wanderer of Diablo 2).

So, I don't know if my players will be able to come up with ideas, and some of them will probably want me to suggest things, and I was hoping the thread had some suggestions for long term jobs/activities that could have a moment of crisis or danger. Like an obvious example could be "caravan guard" and then, sure enough, the caravan gets attacked at some point. A single "scene" would resolve the attack, with a little mini arc like 1)oh snap a log across the path, why? 2) it's been cut! 3) bandit attack and valuable thing getting grabbed! 4) got the thing back. The players would be playing either NPCs of the caravan, or any players who's choice could have put them in the caravan (and then obviously the actual guard PC).

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Hey guys.

I might start a new SotDL campaign somewhere in the next few weeks. Neither I nor the players will be new to RPGs but none of us have played this particular game before. Any good advice? Rules to keep in mind, must-have supplements, common houserules that improve the game, stuff like that? We'll most likely have three or four PCs and I'm thinking about running them through the Tales of the Demon Lord adventures.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sage Genesis posted:

Hey guys.

I might start a new SotDL campaign somewhere in the next few weeks. Neither I nor the players will be new to RPGs but none of us have played this particular game before. Any good advice? Rules to keep in mind, must-have supplements, common houserules that improve the game, stuff like that? We'll most likely have three or four PCs and I'm thinking about running them through the Tales of the Demon Lord adventures.

I found the Tales of the Demon Lord adventures often contain ridiculously tough or numerous opponents for my 3 PC team. Like the first encounter is against two hired killers with 18 health each, who attack at +2 with a boon for 2D6 damage which means they can one-shot a PC and not be one-shot in return. You could easily wipe the party in the first encounter.

I've been running through the adventures ahead of time and comparing the encounters to the encounter-building guidelines and replacing them with more appropriate stuff. Hardened assassins use the stats for bumbling farmhands, that sort of thing. I get that the game is supposed to be gritty and lethal, but "You got ganked by some punks before you reached the adventure, roll new characters who will probably suffer a similar fate" doesn't make for thrilling gameplay.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

Hey guys.

Gort has it right here:

Gort posted:

I found the Tales of the Demon Lord adventures often contain ridiculously tough or numerous opponents for my 3 PC team. Like the first encounter is against two hired killers with 18 health each, who attack at +2 with a boon for 2D6 damage which means they can one-shot a PC and not be one-shot in return. You could easily wipe the party in the first encounter.

I've been running through the adventures ahead of time and comparing the encounters to the encounter-building guidelines and replacing them with more appropriate stuff. Hardened assassins use the stats for bumbling farmhands, that sort of thing. I get that the game is supposed to be gritty and lethal, but "You got ganked by some punks before you reached the adventure, roll new characters who will probably suffer a similar fate" doesn't make for thrilling gameplay.

Now that I have more time with the system and more experience with the combat, I can say that the encounters in Tales are overtuned. As Gort mentions, the Hired Killer is a tough fight for Starting characters. Per the Encounter rules, they are a challenging fight, which seems like a bad idea to spring on characters for their very first taste of combat. They are more than capable of getting a lucky roll and insta-killing a PC. When I ran the adventure, there was a close call and I had one of the Hired Killers give up once their buddy died, which made things a lot easier. But Gort's suggestion is way better, just downgrade their stats. As you get more experience with the system, looking over fights like this will get easier, but a good practice is to assume that the adventure is balanced for 5 characters, and examine the encounters with that in mind. Using a lesser version of an enemy is a good idea, and consider using the stats for smaller enemies of the Animal, Construct, Demon and Monster types for creatures who don't match that size.

Death is supposed to be a constant threat in SotDL, especially at lower levels, but not all players are down for that and not all deaths will feel fair. I would err on the side of caution, but that's just me. It could be that you're looking for a high-lethality game, and if that's the case SotDL is the game for you and Tales of the Demon Lord is an excellent campaign. If not, do a little work ahead of time to make things easier for the players.

General things to keep in mind:

-Fortune is great. Hand it out liberally and remind players to use it. At low levels it can literally save lives. (I prefer the Fortune Points variant from Forbidden Rules, but either works)
-Frightening and Horrifying. Read up on what they do, take note of what creatures have them, and remember to apply them.
-Afflictions do not stack. If an affliction gives a bane, they do not compound if you get the same affliction again. They do create new instances of that affliction, and they have to be removed independently, provided that the source of the afflictions are different.
-Size gives reach. Size 2 creatures can hit things 2 spaces away etc.
-Have players roll up more than one character for the Starting adventure and keep your options open to bring those replacements in.

That's what I can think of for the moment. If there's anything else you're curious about, just ask!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I am also considering running a SotDL campaign (possibly on this very forum) in spite of having virtually no experience with the system! Its relative mechanical simplicity is appealing, as are the overall grim mood and aesthetics. Which maybe try a little too hard in places to be dark and nasty, but in all fairness it is a fine line to walk.

I do have a goodly degree of experience DMing 4th edition D&D at least, so I don't expect to have too much trouble in that respect. As I generally lack sound judgement I'm planning on running a campaign of my own devising (0 to 10, ideally) rather than a pre-made adventure, though. Not the best idea, perhaps, but that sort of risk has paid off for me before. :shobon:

It's good to know that the system's lethality needs to be accounted for. Personally I do like my PCs reasonably bloodied, but the one time I actually killed one was the result of unfortunate circumstances rather than being on purpose. Dark fantasy horror or not, I'd rather have characters dying too little than too much.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I am also considering running a SotDL campaign (possibly on this very forum) in spite of having virtually no experience with the system! Its relative mechanical simplicity is appealing, as are the overall grim mood and aesthetics. Which maybe try a little too hard in places to be dark and nasty, but in all fairness it is a fine line to walk.

I do have a goodly degree of experience DMing 4th edition D&D at least, so I don't expect to have too much trouble in that respect. As I generally lack sound judgement I'm planning on running a campaign of my own devising (0 to 10, ideally) rather than a pre-made adventure, though. Not the best idea, perhaps, but that sort of risk has paid off for me before. :shobon:

It's good to know that the system's lethality needs to be accounted for. Personally I do like my PCs reasonably bloodied, but the one time I actually killed one was the result of unfortunate circumstances rather than being on purpose. Dark fantasy horror or not, I'd rather have characters dying too little than too much.

If you absolutely don't want to risk PC death, I'd suggest picking up Battle Scars, and make a house roule that whenever you 'die' you get knocked out for a long time/require medical attention and also pick up a battle scar. Granted, some of those battle scars can be pretty nasty and might even end up retiring the character anyways...

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Thanks for the tips guys, this looks like it'll help.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

In addition to Antilles' advice (Battle Scars is a really cool supplement), you may want to look into picking up Forbidden Rules, which offers a variant healing system called Endurance which allows players to heal damage much more easily using a 4E-style healing surge system.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Thanks for those recommendations! I don't mind PC death as such, I'd just like for it to be at least somewhat meaningful rather than resulting from a poorly balanced combat encounter or a streak of unreasonably bad luck/dice rolls. It'll be good to have a few options for those cases when a proper death might be a little too much.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Serf posted:

This Thursday, at 7:00 PM EST, I'll be running "The Man Who Fell to Urth", which is a Master-level adventure. I want to see how the game plays at the top level, so I'm running it for 10th-level adventurers.

So how'd this go?

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

So how'd this go?

Serf'll do a proper writeup, no doubt, but if I had to sum it up in one word, "curbstomp" comes to mind. Turns out level 10 characters in SotDL kicks all kinds of rear end.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I bought a ton of SotDL at GenCon thanks to recommendations of goons. Yaaaaaaay

Serf
May 5, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

So how'd this go?

I would say it went pretty well, overall. The characters kicked a lot of rear end and saved thousands of people from dying. Essentially the setup for the adventure is that a giant man made of blue crystal has appeared in the largest city in the Northern Reach, lying on the ground and seemingly incapable of speech. A bunch of salamanders showed up to protect him. There are rifts to the Void tearing open and a crusading knight who thinks he is a demon. It's got a lot of nice detail in there (though not as much as I'd like, which I'll get into). In our run of it, the players had an Incarnate named Uriel among them who was able to negotiate with the salamanders and speak with the giant, who revealed that he was plugging up a hole to the Void. On the other side was a giant island hurtling towards the rift. If it hits, Crossings essentially gets nuked. The giant, named Zadkiel, holds back the demons as best he can, but the adventure intends for the players to head into the Void and find a way to avert disaster. I had the players fight a couple of demons, who turned out to be pushovers. Even two medium demons aren't a challenge for three level 10 characters. The fightery-type character, Erhart, could do 8d6 damage with his axe. In retrospect I should've used large demons or even a huge demon. Then I let the PCs do a little thinking before they headed into the Void. They encountered a society of rat-people left over from a world conquered by the Demon Lord, found the remains of Zadkiel's family, and discovered a spaceship. One character, the flying-kicker robot Barry, got the spaceship working and tangled with some shadows in the control room while the others were on the big island, talking with the rat-people, who have factions and their own beliefs. Long story short, the other PCs showed up and helped Barry defeat the shadows and Miriam, the team's technomage, got to work piloting it. They found an ancient vault spilling gold into the Void and poked around inside, finding a bunch of evil incantations and a relic, the Sunarrow, a wand with the ability to control fire.

They then put their plan into motion: rescuing the rat-people and then using the Sunarrow to direct several large balls of fire into the big island, destroying it and averting the disaster on Urth. They negotiated the rat-people into leaving and fought against the crusading knight, who was their toughest opponent. By which I mean she had a Defense of 20 and the players got some crap rolls in the first round. Miriam obliterated her in the second round with two swipes from her Iron Man armor. They then blew up the island and saved Crossings. Uriel and Zadkiel then de-incarnated and became genies again, repairing the shield around Crossings and closing the portals while Miriam drove the spaceship into Urth. The game ended with the surviving characters in control of a ragged spaceship in the middle of demon-ruined Crossings.

The biggest problems with the adventure are 1) lack of direction and 2) lack of challenge. 1) Essentially is about the fact that nothing ever indicates that the characters should decide to go into the Void. I had to make up two short tales about how the Void works to give them this push, which the adventure does not advise you to do. Then once they're in the Void they have several options to take: crash the spaceship into the island and knock it off course or blow the island up with the Sunarrow and the nearby balls of fire. There is again scant direction on this front, so it is possible that neither option will occur to the players. 2) is about the fact that there is no real challenge here for Master characters. I suppose I could've thrown bigger demons at the party or had more fights in the Void, but when you're looking at a 3-hour window for a one-shot you want to cut down on as much combat as possible in my experience. Even with that in mind, the guidelines for fights in the adventure are so loose that they're not much help in deciding how much and what to throw at the players. Also the crusader is supposed to be the final boss but she gets chumped hard by player abilities and probably needs a pass to make her stronger. I wouldn't say it is a bad adventure, but like a lot of SotDL adventures it probably needed some playtesting before being published.

Carteret posted:

I bought a ton of SotDL at GenCon thanks to recommendations of goons. Yaaaaaaay

One of us! One of us!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Thursday, August 24th at 8PM EST, I'll be running an adventure I've written that I am currently calling "I Went to the Moon and All I Got Was This lovely Extra Arm". It will be for level 2 characters and you should come join us if you want to fight weird organ-harvesters and escape from their moonbase! You can sign up here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I'm working on a campaign, which is basically deconstructing my friends view of iron age Scandinavia through Vikings and other rubbish shows.

Our guys are young deep woods tribal dudes, with working magic and spirit clerics, who try to get their poo poo together in a low-medium power setting.

Only problem is, what system to use? Fate would be best for pure storytelling, but I hate the combat resolution and treatment of magic.

I thought WFRP 2e or Legend would be really good, because both have gritty combat and a lot of potential for writing magic( and Legend a faction-intensive system good for representing tribal society), but the rest of these systems are really annoying, particularly character progression.

How well do you guys think SotDL fits what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

So I'm working on a campaign, which is basically deconstructing my friends view of iron age Scandinavia through Vikings and other rubbish shows.

Our guys are young deep woods tribal dudes, with working magic and spirit clerics, who try to get their poo poo together in a low-medium power setting.

Only problem is, what system to use? Fate would be best for pure storytelling, but I hate the combat resolution and treatment of magic.

I thought WFRP 2e or Legend would be really good, because both have gritty combat and a lot of potential for writing magic( and Legend a faction-intensive system good for representing tribal society), but the rest of these systems are really annoying, particularly character progression.

iron age Scandinavia through Vikings and other rubbish shows - It's a low fantasy setting, and the weapons, armor, and spells are all easily adjustable to a specific setting. This game could be used to run anything from bronze age city states to early modern religious wars. I want to stress that it's still got some crunch, but the equipment list doesn't tie you to a vast arsenal drawing on incongruous historical settings.

Fate would be best for pure storytelling, but I hate the combat resolution and treatment of magic I've never played Fate, but I read a (very good) playthrough here on the forums, and think I remember the system well enough. This ain't fate. This is a lot like if someone streamlined post 2e D&D. That's a short description that doesn't do SotDL justice, but again, not Fate.

I thought WFRP 2e would be really good,[...] but the rest of these systems are really annoying, particularly character progression. I've never played Legend but I've played a lot of WFRPG and good news! So has the guy who made SotDL. And as a specific outgrowth of that love, SotDL has a "path" system where each character grows by taking on new profession from an ever-widening pool, but it's absolutely not the fiddly, confusing thing that Warhammer Fantasy has. Your players won't be at the Vagabond class, trying to figure out how in the hell they'll ever become the kind of character they want to be.

EDIT: Oh, also, your setting sounds really cool. I'm listening to all of the "Fall of Rome" podcast and getting my views of the barbarians deconstructed makes me envy your players for what you've got in store for them. If you do end up running the game in SotDL (and I think you should!), make sure to come back and give us a synopsis of your sessions, I know I'd love to hear it.

EDIT2: I should probably mention the standard SOTDL setting takes place in an early modern setting that has the beginnings of a railroad and some (probably wheellock?) firearms. I don't think it'd be a big deal at all to strip those out. It's taking place in your setting so no railroad, and you'd have to remove 2 weapons and 1 (of like 72 or so) path choices.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 24, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks, sounds really promising!

e: Yeah, being equivalent to our year 8-900, the tech level is going to be really lovely, but I'm not seeing a problem in just removing the bits I won't use.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tias posted:

As has been mentioned, removing the more technologically-advanced bits is as easy as just not allowing them in the game. Other than that I think SotDL perfectly fits your premise for all the reasons Jack B Nimble mentioned above. I would recommend two supplements: A Glorious Death and Song of the Woad for your game. A Glorious Death deals with a viking-like culture, the jotun, and has lots of details and information for going around in a cold environment raiding and pillaging. Song of the Woad is about barbarian clans and provides plenty of stuff to use to enhance that aspect of your game as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob has announced his next big project using the Demon Lord Engine: an adaptation of the PunkApocalyptic setting

PunkApocalyptic is apparently a Spanish minis game, and this will be their first attempt at turning it into a tabletop RPG. It is described as "irreverent and hilariously vulgar" and this is the brief description that is given:

quote:

In PunkApocalpytic, the wealthy and powerful hide behind high walls of their massive cities, leaving everyone else to scrabble and fight to survive in a war-torn, irradiated, and inhospitable wasteland crawling with mutants, gangs, and the insane. In the RPG, the players assume the roles of veteran survivors, Mercs, who sell their services to whomever can afford them, undertaking missions for unhinged gang leaders, embattled survivors, caravans seeking safe territory, and more. PunkApocalyptic: The Roleplaying Game embraces the nastiness and brutality of the miniatures game, while opening even more of the world for exploration, ultraviolence, and adventure.

Overall, Godless already exists and I'm not too interested in the tone of this proposed setting. Rob has said he'll be doing some systems design stuff that might be interesting, but we'll have plenty of time before the 2018 Kickstarter to evaluate the new stuff he'll be adding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I ran my moon adventure and it went pretty well! I found things I could change, and some fixes that need to be applied. Overall it was a lot of fun for me to run and the players got up to some really interesting stuff. A few highlights:

• The players began the adventure naked and strapped down. I hadn't planned for them to all fail their rolls to escape their bonds, but I improvised and the orc warrior ended up wrestling with a robot until the changeling priestess of the moon was able to grab the orc's gun and shoot the robot in the head.
  • The adventure is intended to have a sort of running boss battle with this giant moth being, but the priestess of the moon was able to befriend it in their second encounter with it. In their first encounter the aforementioned priestess managed to phase the not-Mothra ten seconds into the future, which was cool.
  • They started a prison riot by freeing over prisoners.
  • They killed the head organ harvester in the coolest way. The stroggified technomancer in their party used the Flamethrower spell to blast him with fire and when he retreated the faun magician set up two portals using Hole of Glory (lol), one next to their orc warrior and the other just above the harvester's head. She rolled very well and killed him in one hit, stabbing him through the head using the portals.
  • The party discovered a half-orc. That is, a human and an orc who were cut in half lengthwise and then attached to one another. They mercy-killed the hopelessly insane, mismatched brain abomination against nature.
  • There were giant albino penguins on the moon courtesy of Lovecraft
  • They had one last large fight against the harvesters before freeing the rest of the prisoners. After that they rescued the orc's horse and headed for the teleportation room. There some prisoners were battling the moonmoth and the players turned on them, killing them easily. They then activated the portal. The orc immediately left, while the others investigated the nearby spacecraft. As they did so, they noticed a titanic, white-robed figure flying towards them from the horizon. Everyone fled but the technomancer, who hated his own cyborg existence, who suicided into the lunar elder horror, killing it in the process and taking out the portal.

Serf fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 25, 2017

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Serf posted:

In their first encounter the faun magician managed to phase the not-Mothra ten seconds into the future, which was cool.

That was also me, the priestess of the moon, and for the record me smacking it with my staff happened before I figured I should probably try to become friends with it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

That was also me, the priestess of the moon, and for the record me smacking it with my staff happened before I figured I should probably try to become friends with it.

My bad on that one, will fix. With a party of three spellcasters it gets a little hard to remember who cast what.

There were a lot of neat spells being used last night, with a lot of focus on Technomancy, Teleportation and Time.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Serf posted:

My bad on that one, will fix. With a party of three spellcasters it gets a little hard to remember who cast what.

There were a lot of neat spells being used last night, with a lot of focus on Technomancy, Teleportation and Time.

Yeah everyone got the chance to do some really cool stuff, it was a very good terrifying moon adventure.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Yeah everyone got the chance to do some really cool stuff, it was a very good terrifying moon adventure.

Yeah, Technomancy's neat, especially paired with Potent Spellcasting. Wrenching fools to knock them on their asses, the turret's a decent force multiplier, and the flamethrower's suprisingly good for low levels (if you can roll damage dice worth a drat...). Teleportation and Time had some cool tricks up their sleeves as well, dunno how it felt to run with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Antilles posted:

Yeah, Technomancy's neat, especially paired with Potent Spellcasting. Wrenching fools to knock them on their asses, the turret's a decent force multiplier, and the flamethrower's suprisingly good for low levels (if you can roll damage dice worth a drat...). Teleportation and Time had some cool tricks up their sleeves as well, dunno how it felt to run with them.

I can speak for Time, it's a great baseline for any caster. The Minor Paradox that just removes a creature for a round has all kind of uses for offense and defense, and then Rewrite Moment allowing re-rolls once per round of any die, not just Challenge or Attack rolls, is a great start.

I don't know if the Priest of the Maiden class as whole is really my style, but it worked fine for a one-shot. It's your Mystic Theurge type, a wizard-priest, since it has access to both Will and Int magic traditions in Arcane, Celestial, and Time. It more or less swaps out the front-line support capabilities of most Priests for more a more arcane/utility bent. It was fun to play, especially because of the moonstuff, but I think I'd like to try the other priests.

e: to expand on that, I highly recommend the Uncertain Faith supplement. It adds so much to the Priest path both in terms of expanding the flavor and adding new priest types to allow for more diversity mechanically. I'm really interested in trying out a Priest of Father Death, they get the quite powerful Death tradition but avoid all the corruption from it, alongside Shadow and Protection, and their healing is draining life from people. They'd make a great death knight or necromancer.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 25, 2017