Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I have a question about how to enter something into YNAB4. I'm assuming the answer is going to just be "whatever works best for you" but I thought I would ask to see if there is something I'm missing. My girlfriend recently moved in with me, so a lot of my monthly expenses like rent and utilities have been cut in half. Because a lot of the utilities are in my name and linked to my accounts, I just pay for them and she cuts me a check for her half. Same thing with the rent, I'll pay it all, and she'll give me a check* for her portion.

For my budget, should I continue budgeting the full cost of the utilities and rent and when she gives me money enter it as income? Or should I halve the budget/paid amounts? What I did do last month was I budgeted and entered in payments for the full amounts and entered her checks in as income for that month.

*I could just have her write a check to the landlord and we could both turn in our rent checks at the same time, but she's still getting settled in to a new city with her new first job, and she's adjusting to not being a poor college student, so for right now I'm letting her pay me so I can make sure she actually has the funds in her account and her rent check doesn't bounce or something. She assures me she has enough but I guess I'm just being overly cautious because I remember being poor and right out of college and trying to establish myself financially, and I don't mind not taking her money right away while she gets her first few paychecks from her job.

I'm a YNAB4 user in a similar situation with a roommate. I budget only my portion, and enter my roommate's portion directly into the affected categories when received, rather than income. (So for example, I pay the full amount for rent, which will take that category negative- and when I get a check from the roommate, I enter it as a positive flow for rent, rather than as income, to bring the category to a zero balance).

For me, this does two things- allows me to keep my income true to what I'm actually making, and also makes sure I don't forget to collect owed money from my roommate. I know nYNAB would freak out about this method, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I would budget the full amount in the correct categories, then when you bank your partners check, enter it as income.

The rest is subjective and dependent on what your general financial situation is like. If you're still in the progress of implementing rule four, you can assign that income into next months utility/rent budget and start to get ahead.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Cool, thanks for the input. I'll probably just cut my budget for that in half, go over and have my rent category go into the red, and when I cash her check enter it in my rent category instead of as income available so as to not misleadingly inflate my income. Thankfully because of YNAB I've been on rule four for a while now.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

I'm a YNAB4 user in a similar situation with a roommate. I budget only my portion, and enter my roommate's portion directly into the affected categories when received, rather than income. (So for example, I pay the full amount for rent, which will take that category negative- and when I get a check from the roommate, I enter it as a positive flow for rent, rather than as income, to bring the category to a zero balance).

For me, this does two things- allows me to keep my income true to what I'm actually making, and also makes sure I don't forget to collect owed money from my roommate. I know nYNAB would freak out about this method, though.

nYNAB doesn't freak out doing it this way, it's how I handle reimbursements from work. You can put income straight into a category just as you could in YNAB 4.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

thegreatcodfish posted:

nYNAB doesn't freak out doing it this way, it's how I handle reimbursements from work. You can put income straight into a category just as you could in YNAB 4.

Right, but I thought the big thing with nYNAB was not allowing negative category roll-over? I suppose if it was all in the same calendar month it wouldn't make a difference either way. (I've never used nYNAB, though.)

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

Right, but I thought the big thing with nYNAB was not allowing negative category roll-over? I suppose if it was all in the same calendar month it wouldn't make a difference either way. (I've never used nYNAB, though.)

That part is unfortunately true, yes.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I do option 3. with my roommate because we only split the utilities (he pays the internet bill, I pay gas and electric). I like to see how much the utilities actually are for the month and having the halfsies numbers in there would make that hard and confusing.

I also get my bills on the 18th and budget that exact amount for the next month, then pay on the 1st.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If the utilities are in your name then I would budget the full amount yourself and add her money she gives you as extra income. I wouldn't go into the negative though - I would save up enough to pay for the full amount yourself as a buffer, but continually top off the category with the income she provides you. (You'd only have to save it up one time) The truth is if she moves out, you will owe the full amount, so I wouldn't pretend like that's not true with half utility categories.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
That's similar to what I do. Always budget for, and fund, the full amount, then treat their share as income and put it toward whatever.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I must have a simple life because I whipped up an Excel budget tracker in minutes. It lists monthly expenses like car insurance, phone, etc. and I have sheets for each month covering various expenses.

I always feel like I barge into threads with questions already covered but didn't see this in OP: Is the YNBN for people with lots of money? Because I wouldn't say I do (40k-50k per year salary). Is there anyone here that was at one time in my position of "simplicity" and low salary, but still benefited from the program and decided Excel can't do it?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I bought it back when I was probably making 35k a year, it's definitely not just for rich people. It was on sale on steam for 15 bucks when I got it. Could I make an excel spreadsheet? Sure, but having a program that's already set up and can create reports and graphs and has an app that goes along with it so I can input my spending while I'm on the go is well worth the one time 15 dollar payment. I also don't have to worry about putting in all the excel formulas for every column or row and setting the whole thing up. If you're able to do all of this, more power to you, but I know a lot of people won't start budgeting if getting started means setting up all this stuff in excel.

I also don't have a complicated budget. I have few expenses, and most of them are recurring. The program did help me get to a better place financially though. Obviously just inputting numbers into tables didn't do that, but it was a way for me to take responsibility and it helped me recognize what my money was doing for me.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I always feel like I barge into threads with questions already covered but didn't see this in OP: Is the YNBN for people with lots of money? Because I wouldn't say I do (40k-50k per year salary). Is there anyone here that was at one time in my position of "simplicity" and low salary, but still benefited from the program and decided Excel can't do it?

Just the opposite actually. A lot of their marketing/focus is on getting folks out of debt by emphasizing cash-flow management and discipline.

I used a spreadsheet up until the new ynab, which I bought because of transaction imports (Also, ynab is less scummy than mint, which I know is using my transaction data to market to me). I don't gain any psychological benefit from data entry.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
When I started sorting out my budget, I made a spreadsheet and got a lot of benefit out of manually entering/tracking/manipulating every dollar. I definitely got a handle on exactly where I was at financially, which I don't think I would have gotten as quickly if I had started out with mint or everydollar or ynab.

That said, ynab is way more sustainable than my homegrown spreadsheet. I really like how easy it is to move money between categories, to track budget goals, and reconcile transactions. The mobile app is enormously convenient, too. It's well worth the subscription price for me.

If you are interested in trying it out, you should download it for your free month trial and see if any of its tools would be useful for you.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
today I was very concerned that I had only half the money I should have for next month, even though I reconciled everything Saturday. Turns out I put my paycheck in the "Work: To be reimbursed" category instead of Income for August

In other good news, august is a 3 paycheck month. Gonna bank all of christmas, and a couple hundo each for trapeze classes and visiting my niece.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I get really excited for payday, not because I need the money, but because I get to enter it into YNAB and play around with where I think it would be best entered into my budget.

It was like the first thing I did today when I woke up.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I get really excited for payday, not because I need the money, but because I get to enter it into YNAB and play around with where I think it would be best entered into my budget.

It was like the first thing I did today when I woke up.

Yeah same - it's nice to see what the check is actually going to be and how much of it I can devote to our stretch goals and long term goals. Also because payday is the first of every month I can close the door on all our little "over the line" spending and balance out the last month so that nothing is red.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Defenestration posted:

today I was very concerned that I had only half the money I should have for next month, even though I reconciled everything Saturday. Turns out I put my paycheck in the "Work: To be reimbursed" category instead of Income for August

In other good news, august is a 3 paycheck month. Gonna bank all of christmas, and a couple hundo each for trapeze classes and visiting my niece.

3 paycheck fake bonus months are the loving best

Unfortunately I spent mine in advance by buying a truck so I don't get all the normal excitement, I just get to pay down a self-borrow out of my savings :smith:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
My girlfriend who has recently moved in with me wants me to help her set up a budget (and I'm way more excited about it than I should be). Right now I'm helping her input everything into financier, but is it possible to share YNAB with another person so she can just have her own budget on her laptop? That way if financier decides to just stop existing since it's basically abandonware now, she still can budget.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

You could just create a new budget (top left drop down menu) for her, but you'd have to share credentials.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My girlfriend who has recently moved in with me wants me to help her set up a budget (and I'm way more excited about it than I should be). Right now I'm helping her input everything into financier, but is it possible to share YNAB with another person so she can just have her own budget on her laptop? That way if financier decides to just stop existing since it's basically abandonware now, she still can budget.

I just did exactly this with my girlfriend and YNAB4. Check out this link for installing YNAB on another computer. It's a household license so you can set her up with the full version and she can make her own budget or share one together quite easily.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
YNAB is making a fuzz about a big announcement tomorrow. Based on the wording of that related blog entry, people are expecting a buyout.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/the-ynab-origin-story/

(Maybe also just that stupid new mobile app.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Combat Pretzel posted:

YNAB is making a fuzz about a big announcement tomorrow. Based on the wording of that related blog entry, people are expecting a buyout.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/the-ynab-origin-story/

(Maybe also just that stupid new mobile app.)

I sure hope it's not something that's going to gently caress over those of us still on YNAB 4.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"Comedy" prediction: Acquired by a company that is known to sell user data, proving once again that any promises from cloud/sass products mean nothing because they can be acquired at anytime.

Or could just be more mundane like announcing cross platform desktop apps based on Electron that sync with nYNAB.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

V2 of the mobile app starts showing up for people. So it's just that.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Man, I've been annoyed that I couldn't do the main nuts and bolts portions of my budget outside of a laptop- so I'm really happy with this app update. I honestly think it even looks nicer than the web app.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah the app seems nice. Back button navigation is a bit iffy at points, and I'm not fond of the iOS report card style for the reports. The web app style looks better and more suitable for Android.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I like it. I mean, I haven't had much time to play with it, but being able to edit my budget from my phone is going to make my life a lot easier.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They fired up the cult of YNAB for a mobile app update? :psyduck:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
its a really big deal

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Should I update mobile App if I'm still on 4?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Defenestration posted:

Should I update mobile App if I'm still on 4?

Curious about this as well. I'd like to check it out but am waiting for initial impressions of others before I jump in.

How much transfers over from 4? Could I import my current data just to check out how everything looks on the new system, or would I have to re-do things manually? I don't intend to link any bank accounts to it so I'm hoping to tour the new app using my existing YNAB 4 data.

e: their announcement video is pretty spot on.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 9, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There’s a free trial for YNAB so you could do an import into that and see how it looks.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

skull mask mcgee posted:

There’s a free trial for YNAB so you could do an import into that and see how it looks.

I decided to give this a shot and the answer is that it's very much a manual effort.

The upgrade from 4 to nYNAB really bungled things up and my resulting budget was -$5000 with all sorts of things thrown out of wack from how recurring transactions and future allotments now work. I had to do a fresh start but I have 25 active accounts so that's kind of an ordeal. Connecting accounts and importing is simple enough but it doesn't do previous transactions so I have no payment history and can't do a direct comparison of YNAB4 vs nYNAB. In the end, all I'm able to do is poke around on the surface and see how the interface works but I really need more data to determine how it compares to YNAB4.

+ Web interface is great for me personally as I spend a lot of time on a work laptop that can't install YNAB4 desktop version.
+ Mobile app 2.0 is wonderful as well.
+ I love the addition of Goals and more interactive elements.
+ I think I like auto-import. I've been a proponent of manually entering transactions but I'm almost 100% rule 4 now so it's easier to get away with overseeing everything rather than being directly hands-on.
- Red arrow right. I've read all about how people miss it and I'm no different. I have many reimbursements that I don't like affecting my budget in the way that nYNAB does.

I suppose I can run both versions in parallel for a bit to give it a chance but at the moment I'm leaning toward the status quo. It's still great software that I would recommend people start using, but considering I paid in full a few years ago and can continue using YNAB4 for $0/mo I just don't think it can be justified. If it ain't broke...

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Teeter posted:

I decided to give this a shot and the answer is that it's very much a manual effort.

The upgrade from 4 to nYNAB really bungled things up and my resulting budget was -$5000 with all sorts of things thrown out of wack from how recurring transactions and future allotments now work. I had to do a fresh start but I have 25 active accounts so that's kind of an ordeal. Connecting accounts and importing is simple enough but it doesn't do previous transactions so I have no payment history and can't do a direct comparison of YNAB4 vs nYNAB. In the end, all I'm able to do is poke around on the surface and see how the interface works but I really need more data to determine how it compares to YNAB4.

+ Web interface is great for me personally as I spend a lot of time on a work laptop that can't install YNAB4 desktop version.
+ Mobile app 2.0 is wonderful as well.
+ I love the addition of Goals and more interactive elements.
+ I think I like auto-import. I've been a proponent of manually entering transactions but I'm almost 100% rule 4 now so it's easier to get away with overseeing everything rather than being directly hands-on.
- Red arrow right. I've read all about how people miss it and I'm no different. I have many reimbursements that I don't like affecting my budget in the way that nYNAB does.

I suppose I can run both versions in parallel for a bit to give it a chance but at the moment I'm leaning toward the status quo. It's still great software that I would recommend people start using, but considering I paid in full a few years ago and can continue using YNAB4 for $0/mo I just don't think it can be justified. If it ain't broke...

Your feedback is similar to others I've read and is why I'm staying on YNAB4 until they take Support away for it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How is my credit card budget line "over budget" when all of my spending on it has a category (and none of the categories are negative). Meaning, all the money I "spent" on the card was actually taken from a spot in the budget. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but the credit card still challenges me sometimes

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

How is my credit card budget line "over budget" when all of my spending on it has a category (and none of the categories are negative). Meaning, all the money I "spent" on the card was actually taken from a spot in the budget. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but the credit card still challenges me sometimes

Honestly, even as someone who has an idea of how the credit cards in he new system are treated, I'm probably going to switch both my credit cards to checking accounts when I do my fresh start next year. Even when I think I've handled any corner cases appropriately, something still comes up. I pay my cards in full every month, I'm sick of janitoring this poo poo.

Sometimes I forget to balance up whatever thing I returned that got credited to my card. If I have old overspending that I missed-- e.g. at the end of the month, when it can get lost in the shuffle, it can gently caress things up too. As someone who just wants to know how much I owe on my cards, I'm sick of fiddling with silly details just to get things to balance out.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

myron cope posted:

My credit card reconcile flow looks like this:

1) Go to the credit card account, click import.
2) Make sure every transaction is approved and has a category.
3) Click reconcile and make sure the balance matches your actual card balance (make sure all posted transactions have the green (C) cleared button, otherwise grey for pending).
4) Take a look at your budget and make sure the green credit card category available budget matches the negative number of your credit card balance. If its higher, then you had a refund or a reward and you can manually move that difference from the cc category to another budget category. If its lower, you need to move money to the category - but you should only have to ever do this one time, because all future transactions on your credit card will automatically move money into this category.

If you complete all these steps and your card is reconciled and your balance matches the available money in the category, all you have to do is maintain this going forward. Import, Categorize, Reconcile and it should stay correct. I rely heavily on the auto import - if you put these transactions in manually, make sure they match up to your actual credit card balance, otherwise you can have these pending transactions that never clear if you got one wrong.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Just getting started on nYNAB and as someone who already has a significant "buffer", I'm still not sure if it's worthwhile to treat CC transactions differently than cash. I'm not sure what value/benefit I get from going through the extra step of CC reconciliation. FWIW I haven't linked any of my CC or bank accounts to YNAB so all my transactions are entered manually.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If you don't bother reconciling then you may make a mistake with your manual transaction or miss a fraudulent transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The YNAB people must be some special kind of retarded. Their boss had an AMA on reddit earlier, and someone asked whether the new Age of Money graph from mobile would make it to the web app, this was the response:

"I'm honestly not sure on that. Too early to say we have much data except anecdotally people have written in saying they like it :)"

Why the hell would you not want feature parity between your platforms :confused: