Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The hamster wheel in Trump's mind is turning: "starting a war is the only way I get reelected". It won't enjoy majority support but he doesn't need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I would definitely help them, were I Putin, because it's not exactly hard to see Trump doing exactly the thing he has done.

Proliferation is bad for everyone. If Russia was actually helping North Korea, it wouldn't be the first time someone cynically played that game, but giving an unstable-seeming regime nukes help maturing their nuclear program for the purposes of pushing them into a confrontation with the US would be crazy reckless, and China might not appreciate the rising tensions in their backyard.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We're basically now in a test of who is crazier.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I feel like nuclear weapons are a thing incompatible in a feudal era of deranged monarchs which makes it worse that Trump and Kim are both man children insulated from reality their entire live. They had horse back cavalry against machine guns because people in charge were too backwards to comprehend the disaster of misusing advanced weaponry.

Sinteres posted:

Trump's body language wasn't really very aggressive. He looked defensive, but a lunatic inexperienced president feeling cornered into action isn't ultimately any better than one who wants it.

I thought he was shooting for this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

North Korea doesn’t have an H-bomb. They tested something similar to one, but it’s very unlikely they’d be able to put that on a missile. Which in ‘getting nuked’ terms is about as good as you’re going to get.

So if North Korea launches a nuke does the US do a proportional response or a vindictive one? Anything we destroy is just something we’re going to have to repair later on.

If they launch a nuke, the regime goes one way or another. We have to maintain our deterrence too, and letting some shitass country that's barely a nuclear power get away with nuclear blackmail would be worse than anything they could do.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hollismason posted:

We're basically now in a test of who is crazier.

evergreen post

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

North Korea doesn’t have an H-bomb. They tested something similar to one, but it’s very unlikely they’d be able to put that on a missile. Which in ‘getting nuked’ terms is about as good as you’re going to get.

So if North Korea launches a nuke does the US do a proportional response or a vindictive one? Anything we destroy is just something we’re going to have to repair later on.

the response would not be proportionate. the response would be aimed at destroying any ability to launch another one, and the north korean government. if the response is aimed at also kiling civilians in revenge is a seperate question, but "proportionate" suggests we'd send one nuke back and then ask if they were ready to stop. we wouldn't, once they launch a nuclear weapon there's no going back to peace and the overriding goal is to win, and to win fast enough that no other nukes get launched.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I also just want to point out that Kim Jong Un is like literally half Trump's age and grew up in a completely different environment that basically pre-ordained him as a living god to his people. Trump took a lot longer and weirder path to get where he is today but unlike Kim Jon Un his people don't all but un-ironically adore him en masse. It's just a weird state for the world to be in, like a man baby that is about 7 months older (???? I mean nobody actually has verified when he was born other than it was probably some time between early 1982 and 1984) than I am is currently getting under the skin of and intimidating the 71 year old man baby leader of the free world.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Good times, we are all gonna die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7-ngmO_p8

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sneakster posted:

I feel like nuclear weapons are a thing incompatible in a feudal era of deranged monarchs which makes it worse that Trump and Kim are both man children insulated from reality their entire live. They had horse back cavalry against machine guns because people in charge were too backwards to comprehend the disaster of misusing advanced weaponry.

Kim is far less insulated than Trump, Kim at least will probably die if he starts a nuclear war. Trump will almost certainly live.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

D1Sergo posted:

I am 100% certain that neither Trump nor our military command structure believes this or cares.

To be fair, MAD game theory pretty much requires a vindictive strike. If the response was proportional, MAD would no longer deter based on the nuclear taboo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'm not 100% certain that's how it would play out. They know that nuking Seoul would kill a lot of American servicemen and women, which would probably lead to a much worse reprisal from the U.S.

The point of the nukes are if the regime is going down to take some other people with them. If we're already bombing them kim jong un is hosed and will probably want to do the biggest gently caress you possible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kale posted:

I also just want to point out that Kim Jong Un is like literally half Trump's age and grew up in a completely different environment that basically pre-ordained him as a living god to his people. Trump took a lot longer and weirder path to get where he is today but unlike Kim Jon Un his people don't all but un-ironically adore him en masse. It's just a weird state for the world to be in, like a man baby that is about 7 months older (???? I mean nobody actually has verified when he was born other than it was probably some time between early 1982 and 1984) than I am is currently getting under the skin of and intimidating the 71 year old man baby leader of the free world.

I like to point out all the "living god" stuff is North Korea fan fiction that is all easy to look up as stuff made up because people like sensational stories about North Korea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“evilweasel”" post="“475172715”"]
the response would not be proportionate. the response would be aimed at destroying any ability to launch another one, and the north korean government. if the response is aimed at also kiling civilians in revenge is a seperate question, but “proportionate” suggests we’d send one nuke back and then ask if they were ready to stop. we wouldn’t, once they launch a nuclear weapon there’s no going back to peace and the overriding goal is to win, and to win fast enough that no other nukes get launched.
[/quote]

Man, that’s going to get ugly fast. Imagine tactical nukes on a 2 million strong army that has no means of defending itself.

I’d be shocked if at least one nuke isn’t dialed in on that ugly rear end hotel in the capital.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Trump's body language wasn't really very aggressive. He looked defensive, but a lunatic inexperienced president feeling cornered into action isn't ultimately any better than one who wants it.

I only caught a glance on the TV, but was he holding/hugging himself the whole time?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Man, that’s going to get ugly fast. Imagine tactical nukes on a 2 million strong army that has no means of defending itself.

I’d be shocked if at least one nuke isn’t dialed in on that ugly rear end hotel in the capital.

Dude, do you know how hard it is to aim a nuke at the otherside of the planet? North Korea can't nuke D.C. Hitting California is a stretch.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

yeah trump tower is going down

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/404926289569939456

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Covok posted:

Dude, do you know how hard it is to aim a nuke at the otherside of the planet? North Korea can't nuke D.C. Hitting California is a stretch.

You made me think of Trump going "Yeah but Mattis I've been reading online that the world is actually flat"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

I only caught a glance on the TV, but was he holding/hugging himself the whole time?

Yeah, it's weird. I don't know how to read him here at all really, he's just so far outside presidential that it's impossible to know when to take him seriously or not.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/895006061198848000

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"new york isn't the capital of america" gently caress you we all know that to be a lie

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

This is amazing

Trump targets opioid crisis with 'major briefing' in New Jersey - Fox News
https://apple.news/A8kfQG6n4RbqmxKktd0n_Ag

This entire story just says he held a "major briefing". The only quotes from Trump are from Twitter and the stats come straight from the CDC. Not a word about the actual briefing or what if anything he actually said.

Was this briefing even planned in advance or did he just suddenly decide to have it because Fox and Friends said "opioid" this morning?

https://twitter.com/eemershon/status/895031211256631296

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Covok posted:

It sometimes still surprises me just how drat much of the Earth's surface area is the Pacific Ocean.

Stupid Eurocentric cartography.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

:trumppop:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mdemone posted:

It sometimes still surprises me just how drat much of the Earth's surface area is the Pacific Ocean.

Don't worry, the Pacific is shrinking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The odds are is that even if North Korea did fire missile they'd probably nuke Mexico by accident.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dude, the pacific ocean is loving huge. They might be able to hit it, but that's a long travel time and gives us a lot of time to use our old anti-USSR defense network to shoot it down.

mdemone posted:

Exactly dude. The pacific ocean is loving huge as poo poo. Firing a missile over it is no laughing matter for a military using WW2 tech.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

Dude, the pacific ocean is loving huge. They might be able to hit it, but that's a long travel time and gives us a lot of time to use our old anti-USSR defense network to shoot it down.

Exactly dude. The pacific ocean is loving huge as poo poo. Firing a missile over it is no laughing matter for a military using WW2 tech.

Hint: the person you originally quote was clearly talking about the US nuking the famously incomplete hotel in NK.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the fate of East Asia literally rests in the hands of whatever the hell Trump tweets next?

If his next tweet is also aggressive, would, say, Japan get flattened?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Hint: the person you originally quote was clearly talking about the US nuking the famously incomplete hotel in NK.

I am a loving retard.

You know, I had a feeling that might be what they meant, but ignored it like an idiot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mdemone posted:

It is nice though that the other side of the prime meridian cuts only across the farthest eastern stretch of Russia and Antarctica.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They don't actually have a ICBM with a Nuke though they have a test right.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Stairmaster posted:

The point of the nukes are if the regime is going down to take some other people with them. If we're already bombing them kim jong un is hosed and will probably want to do the biggest gently caress you possible.

The point of his nukes are to keep the Kim's in power. NK getting nukes was their best move to insure survival of the Kim family. Although their tech build was bad. (Shoulda went ICBM before nukes)What can anyone do about? You literally have to wait until he uses them before you can do anything militarily. Trump has placed himself between a rock and a hard place. As far as Russia giving them nuke/military tech, I wouldnt doubt it. Its super wreckless, but up until recently trying to execute a regime change in countries with nuclear capabilities was deemed extremely wreckless, so I definitely don't put it past them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I want to see someone make a fan game of Metal Gear Solid where NK is making a POS Rex from the Rex blueprints that Occelot leaked.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

it was funny before, the the "chicken little" routine is now getting old

Grouchio posted:

So the fate of East Asia literally rests in the hands of whatever the hell Trump tweets next?

If his next tweet is also aggressive, would, say, Japan get flattened?

unless trump tweets out, "invading north korea in five minutes," no

the situation is more complicated than that

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Paradoxish posted:

My problem is that I can't really see a situation where NK is the aggressor in any conflict or a direct threat to their neighbors beyond the usual bullshit. Even with a nuclear deterrent, there's still a limit to how much they can get away with. Russia could walk all over Ukraine because nobody was willing to fight a war with Russia over them, but the US won't stand by if NK in some way directly threatens SK or Japan. I don't understand how NK having a few nuclear weapons actually changes that situation.

The U.S. was also totally committed to NATO. If North Korea officially joins the MAD club I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo follows.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Good job admitting that you're a petty douchebag, Sean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

There are such a thing as surgical strikes, you know. Far more likely is that the U.S. strikes important parts of the North Korean nuclear program, they respond with something provocative but short of a nuclear strike, and then their nuclear program goes deeper underground and they continue developing it.

• Locked thread