Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Who would leak it? She's been in the Greens for over a decade and nobody has cared to because it requires inside and undocumented knowledge about her personal life.

It was entirely her choice to frame her argument against the current welfare system using her own story within it, in the same way that Paula Bennett uses her story to deflect criticism of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I am guessing with absolutely no evidence that someone's been looking into both Bennett and Turei (and possibly other MPs) - it's an interesting coincidence that there's been this floating around both.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

xiw posted:

I am guessing with absolutely no evidence that someone's been looking into both Bennett and Turei (and possibly other MPs) - it's an interesting coincidence that there's been this floating around both.

Perhaps, or perhaps these situations when you're on the benefit are just painfully common, which is the problem Turei is trying to highlight.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

xiw posted:

Rumours about Bennett are from someone who claims to have known her back in the early 90s. Supposedly WINZ has details of people of interest like politicians celebrities etc under lockdown and warnings triggered if someone attempts to access them. If done without valid work reason you are thrown out the door.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

Perhaps, or perhaps these situations when you're on the benefit are just painfully common, which is the problem Turei is trying to highlight.

Yes, this is what she says about why she chose to speak about it now and I can't think of a compelling reason to doubt her.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
e: No idea how to embed Facebook videos.

Watch this reporter get schooled - from David Seymour's page, not a thing you hope to find your friends liking.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 8, 2017

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The number of childless, male, pakeha ~30yos who are claiming on my fb feed that they're now voting TOP because a maori woman with a child got $50 a week more than she was entitled to while they were still making GBS threads their diapers is hilarious to me.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The YG Twitter is independent from the Party -- it doesn't need authorization but its statements aren't official party material either.

But yeah, they don't really gently caress around.

There was a more tepid response sent out via email yesterday, which I hadn't read when I made that post...

quote:

This afternoon two MPs have withdrawn from the Party’s 2017 list for the election – Dave Clendon and Kennedy Graham.
Their public statements are that they could not remain as candidates as long as Metiria Turei remained as Co-leader.
Their withdrawal from the list means that candidates that were beneath them on the list will be more likely to get into parliament, including the following:

Jack McDonald
John Hart
Denise Roche
Hayley Holt
Teall Crossen

We wish Kennedy and Dave well. They have given good service to the Party, and we respect the work they have done over many years.
If members are upset or concerned they should speak to their branch convenor, Executive Networker, or failing that - contact us as your co-convenors.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Two people I know who are left of centre independently told me that they are no longer voting greens because of the resignations. Only two votes, but yeah, not ideal.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPpAc5BoaE

Catherine Delahunty's valedictory

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Two people I know who are left of centre independently told me that they are no longer voting greens because of the resignations. Only two votes, but yeah, not ideal.

...and the echoing laughter of thirsting Gareth Morgans...

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Watch top get 3.5% and cause another national government.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
That extra $50 a week Metiria Turei used to put herself through uni and consequently move into higher paying work, while raising a child, sounds like a good investment to me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lock her up

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
aaaaand another Green resignation. Susanne Ruthven.

To her credit, she didn't drag anybody on her way out -- she just says she got offered a high-paying chance-of-a-lifetime job and needed to leave the election behind.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whelp, there goes my vote for the Greens and their likely demise as a party. Who knew they would poo poo themselves so hard over $50 a week.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

oohhboy posted:

Whelp, there goes my vote for the Greens and their likely demise as a party. Who knew they the country would poo poo themselves so hard over $50 a week.

ftfy

Fake edit: Actually it's pretty obvious that would happen in hindsight.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
You were that big on Susanne Ruthven, huh?

This one's definitely muddier than the others: she definitely did get a better job offer and it's not clear whether there's some MoU pressure coming from Labour to get the Greens to stand down in Hutt South.

I mean it's not amazing, but it seems like a really weird thing to call in your vote over.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

You were that big on Susanne Ruthven, huh?

Not at all, it's that the party has just destroyed itself and their ability to support the left is now pretty shaky at best let alone push policy. It maybe really just optics but it is really bad optics and it has nothing to do with the $50 for me. Hopefully something good rises form the ashes.

It's not that I won't vote, it has now just moved to Labour. My guess is that bunch of people are going to go TOP now and might get that 5%.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oohhboy posted:

their ability to support the left
The Greens are the left.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Why would she even keep campaigning for the greens after accepting the chief legal role at MPP in like June, idgi

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

My guess is that bunch of people are going to go TOP now and might get that 5%.

They're going to get 3.5-4% and cost the left the election.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Having read an unreasonable amount of Gareth's ranting, I'm pretty convinced he would prefer to work with a National government in any case.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pararoid posted:

Having read an unreasonable amount of Gareth's ranting, I'm pretty convinced he would prefer to work with a National government in any case.

:frogon:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Whelp, there goes my vote for the Greens and their likely demise as a party. Who knew they would poo poo themselves so hard over $50 a week.

Well we'll see pretty soon, poll results are expected in like an hour~

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ghostlight posted:

The Greens are the left.

To echo something I said a while back: What Left? Or, for that matter, what Greens?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155071973508731&id=7759768730

:( :(

(Metiria resigned)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Once the 'well she doesn't LOOK hungry' photos of her and her family started going around, welp.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
What a shitshow this is

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh for gently caress's sake

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Oh whaaaaaat

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Apparently the Greens were down to 5% in internal polls. At least there's only one way to go from here..?

God loving damnit though. Labour just get their poo poo together and the Greens poo poo the bed. Now the only hope for a change of government is going to involve Winston Peters in a BIG way.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah this sucks. :(

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
They better not let those other cunts back in caucus

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

gently caress this gay earth.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i hate this country

also, did anyone read sue bradford's latest thing? it's good an i agree with all of it https://esra.nz/need-new-left-wing-party/

Kathleen fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 9, 2017

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Way to loving criminalize every single parent in my neighborhood when I was growing up, New Zealand. gently caress YOU.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pararoid posted:

Way to loving criminalize every single parent in my neighborhood when I was growing up, New Zealand. gently caress YOU.

I mean technically they were already criminals :v:

Seriously though this sucks though and I hope the Greens can bounce back, I really don't want to see the Nats win again :(

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Her gamble didn't pay off. Sucks big time I agree because these are the things we need to talk about, and the gamble seemed to be paying off at first.

But loving lol talk about a backfire

Hide your precious kitty-cats :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Disappointing. Not simply that she resigned, but that New Zealand is so up its rear end that it couldn't even sustain a conversation about kicking the poor for a single week without the issue becoming how the poor deserved kicking then and especially so deserve it when they're no longer poor but still want to talk about the kicking.

• Locked thread