Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Poetic Justice posted:

I generally always do a quick check of the games' forum on Steam to see if there are any known VR issues.

And to be totally honest. With steams refund policy, Its better to pull the trigger there first anyways, Since if it runs like poo poo due to steam, you can swap over to oculus home for the same money if the steam version runs like poo poo (Ive not had anything "not work" correctly. personally, steamVR is a little flakey sometimes but in general the games work fine. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

eonblue174 posted:

Just got my rift n touch, no Xbox controller and it was in its own special package with no spot for one. But anyways, are there any vr games that give the feel of this gif?

https://twitter.com/XenosynthPlus/status/895088943992946688

VTOL VR if you're ok with a 25 buck early access game

I now want MW5 to have a VR version. Or Steel Battalion to be ported over and rebuilt for it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

eonblue174 posted:

Just got my rift n touch, no Xbox controller and it was in its own special package with no spot for one. But anyways, are there any vr games that give the feel of this gif?

Star Trek Bridge Crew does a decent impression of this, the whole game is fiddling with a touch interface in different roles

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Got my Oculus yesterday. I was originally mostly excited about Project Cars and American Truck Simulator, but oddly they both make me a little sick. Tonight I played Robo Recall and holy poo poo. No sickness (a little eye strain) and it's sooo satisfying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
American Truck Sim made you sick? Is the framerate ok? Were you reversing? I wouldn't think something like ATS would make you sick.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

American Truck Sim made you sick? Is the framerate ok? Were you reversing? I wouldn't think something like ATS would make you sick.

Framerate might have been choppy because I only played for a few minutes and was in a city, but I played it right after project cars. I think the low resolution was the biggest surprise since I'm used to playing at 2560x1440. I had also been playing Google Earth VR right before, so that could have contributed.

Now that it's been a half hour or so since I stopped playing Robo Recall, I actually feel worse, but mostly eye strain. Maybe I need to adjust the straps - it kept slipping down and blurring my vision while I played.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just got mine in today and tried out robo recall and echo arena. Really fun stuff but I don't have the locomotion down in echo at all.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

EA takes ~2-3 hours before you're zipping around like a maniac.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Erwin posted:

Framerate might have been choppy because I only played for a few minutes and was in a city, but I played it right after project cars. I think the low resolution was the biggest surprise since I'm used to playing at 2560x1440. I had also been playing Google Earth VR right before, so that could have contributed.

Now that it's been a half hour or so since I stopped playing Robo Recall, I actually feel worse, but mostly eye strain. Maybe I need to adjust the straps - it kept slipping down and blurring my vision while I played.

One thing I fount in ATS/ETS was for some reason if i didn't have the mirrored window on my pc running at fullscreen, i would get really weird intermittent stuttering and rubber banding sort of effect that just made it almost unplayable. The city are really a pain but i don't have a problem even there anymore since I figured that out, might want to give that a shot as well as maybe turning some of the heavier effects down in video settings.

As far as the headset adjustment, one thing to keep in mind is to not wear the back of it too high. the back of the headset should cup under the back of your skull where it starts coming in to your neck. Basically you want to wear the back as low as you can without the sides resting on your ears or so. You shouldn't have to have it super tight after that point and it should stay in place pretty well. Remember you can also tilt the headset up or down to put more/less pressure on your forehead or cheeks to get it feeling properly secure. Also if you've got eye strain, it might be because you're not used to it, but just to double check make sure you went into the lens adjustment screen and set your IDP correctly.

This is a pretty good visualization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqg48cuLiP8

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fooz posted:

EA takes ~2-3 hours before you're zipping around like a maniac.

I guess I'm challenged...

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

eonblue174 posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

(Actually don't know how good it is, I haven't played it)

Forgot

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527100/Star_Trek_Bridge_Crew/

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eonblue174 posted:

It depends upon what you want. Job Simulator lets you reach out and touch knobs and move them around in virtual space if you just want to interact with elements.

If you want really realistic cockpit controls, dogfighting and racing games are generally the best and most comfortable VR there is (other than stuff like superhot I guess :) ) and if you have a physical wheel or joystick then you get to take advantage of all that knob flipping and dial turning as part of your actual VR experience.

Elite Dangerous has lots of looking at panels and flipping buttons to make holographic things move around, its very slick and feels super futuristic (I mean, that kind of "look to control" interface is something we don't actually have yet, but it works in VR. I mean I guess there's TrackIR... but I haven't seen games use it the way Elite does)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
If you have VR. Enjoy Music. And have 8 dollars. You really need to own sound boxing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I decided to try out pavlov and I gotta say I'm really disappointed at how buggy and inconsistent the controls are. The game itself seems fun enough, but man I can't get the controls to act the same way twice and its really frustrating. Sometimes you let go of a gun and it falls, or gets thrown as it should, but then other times it sticks to you for no reason and you have to squeeze the grip again to drop it. The same goes for putting it back on your chest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sticks there. Sometimes the trigger will just stay held down and the gun keeps firing. In the heat of a fight this becomes really aggravating when I want to grab my pistol quick and this time my rifle is stuck to my hand for example. I can't find any way to reliably reproduce any of this behavior it just seems to happen when it wants to happen.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I really want to like the game but... man.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Easiest way to put your gun away is to tilt it towards the ground and release rather than trying to stick it back on your chest. As long as the gun is about 70% towards the ground it'll just automatically re-attach to where it needs to be.

The only issues I've had with the controls is a rare bug where the AK will start firing automatically after feeding a mag into it for the first time, solved by pressing the trigger again, and the fact I have a hard time picking things up. Grenades seem impossible to grab off the floor. This is on the Rift.

House of the Dying Sun is on sale til the 14th and if you want to scratch your starfighter itch, this is the perfect game for it. VR integration is fantastic and it's a great alternative to Elite if you just want to get in and have some no-frills, easily accessible space combat action. I love the Homeworld style tactical map where everything's tiny and the sound design and atmosphere is really, really good.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Songbearer posted:

[...]and the fact I have a hard time picking things up. Grenades seem impossible to grab off the floor. This is on the Rift.

It's the same on vive, it's really hard to pick things up. I am always smashing my controllers into the floor. Also, I wish I could pull a grenade pin out with my teeth. I rarely have both hands free.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned Batman VR is on sale last page but here's the link: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/batman-arkham-vr
It's a SteamVR code but apparently the Steam version does use Oculus SDK.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Songbearer posted:

Easiest way to put your gun away is to tilt it towards the ground and release rather than trying to stick it back on your chest. As long as the gun is about 70% towards the ground it'll just automatically re-attach to where it needs to be.

The only issues I've had with the controls is a rare bug where the AK will start firing automatically after feeding a mag into it for the first time, solved by pressing the trigger again, and the fact I have a hard time picking things up. Grenades seem impossible to grab off the floor. This is on the Rift.

House of the Dying Sun is on sale til the 14th and if you want to scratch your starfighter itch, this is the perfect game for it. VR integration is fantastic and it's a great alternative to Elite if you just want to get in and have some no-frills, easily accessible space combat action. I love the Homeworld style tactical map where everything's tiny and the sound design and atmosphere is really, really good.

The thing that gets me is not even the putting it away angle (though i wish that worked by just letting go of it, but sometimes it won't go back to your chest without squeezing the trigger again), there were times i've picked up guns and then wanted to just throw it away and grab my pistol and sometimes it just... doesn't want to leave your hand, just sticks to it and that whats so frustrating. Like if it was 'press the grip to drop' it would be annoying, but I could live with it, its the fact that it can't decide what control setup it wants to use and just throws both out there randomly. Glad to see i'm not alone on the grenades as well though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My touches came yesterday, and while I had fun zooming around all the cool places in the world I've been, I definitely had a lot MORE fun fragging robots in RR. I only have one other friend who's played any time. I want to beat all of his high scores. How do I do that? The gun attachments really seem to help and I know there's a couple of multipliers as you level up, but it's hard to collect stars when you don't have either of those things.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Your multiplier goes up faster when you do melee take downs. So, do that exclusively until you have a >10x (or 15x, I don't actually know where it caps out) multiplier, then do stylish takedowns for the rest of the level. Catch and toss back bullets, use the explosive guys and laser drones against them, toss dudes off roofs if you're in area 3. Don't get hit, obviously.

As you level up, the rate at which your multiplier goes up raises, so there's an iterative process.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Man, any developer of realistic military/combat simulators in VR really has to study what Anton Hand has done with Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades. I've been watching a lot of his developer update videos and the work he's put in to make everything as close to reality as possible while still keeping it "game-like" should form the basis of future VR gun interaction systems.

I'm going to be so disappointed if later simulation games just ignore the data he's already learned about managing firearms in VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My touches came yesterday, and while I had fun zooming around all the cool places in the world I've been, I definitely had a lot MORE fun fragging robots in RR. I only have one other friend who's played any time. I want to beat all of his high scores. How do I do that? The gun attachments really seem to help and I know there's a couple of multipliers as you level up, but it's hard to collect stars when you don't have either of those things.

In addition to what boxman said, also remember your multiplier degrades faster and faster the higher it is. When you start getting up to 10x and stuff you gotta keep moving, and keep killing constantly. It gets pretty hectic.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Confirmed ripping robo heads off is fun as heck

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Rez Infinite is out for Vive/Rift today for :20bux: :

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rez-infinite-for-pc-and-rift-plus-rez-oculus-avatars-coming-soon/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/636450/Rez_Infinite/

edit: "for a limited time only" there is a free Digital Deluxe DLC on Steam, unclear if this stuff is included with Oculus purchases:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/689950/Rez_Infinite_Digital_Deluxe_DLC/

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 9, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What the fuuuuuuuccccccckk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:staredog:

Well that's an absolute must-buy. See one of the few things PSVR had over PC (until now).

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Holy gently caress amazing. So this means that the PSVR stuff is definitely coming. This is the first PSVR exclusive title to jump the gap, right?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

bobfather posted:

Holy gently caress amazing. So this means that the PSVR stuff is definitely coming. This is the first PSVR exclusive title to jump the gap, right?

Fingers crossed for Resident Evil 7 VR on PC.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Don't think I don't read this thread.

The high score strategy is to build your multiplier quickly (melee killing enemies is the fastest) then headshot/juggle everything.

It runs into the issue most score based games do where the optimal strategy is boring. If tossing your revolvers in the air, pulling out shotguns and blasting people behind you, then catching the revolvers on the way down and shooting a different guy with each one is wrong I don't want to be right.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Parker Lewis posted:

Fingers crossed for Resident Evil 7 VR on PC.

You don't want it. I really cannot play that game longer than a few minutes at a time before having to take off the headset and calm down.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I really didn't think stuff like Rez was gonna make the jump. That's loving awesome!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Parker Lewis posted:

Rez Infinite is out for Vive/Rift today for :20bux: :

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rez-infinite-for-pc-and-rift-plus-rez-oculus-avatars-coming-soon/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/636450/Rez_Infinite/

edit: "for a limited time only" there is a free Digital Deluxe DLC on Steam, unclear if this stuff is included with Oculus purchases:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/689950/Rez_Infinite_Digital_Deluxe_DLC/

I'm super glad that PC VR users get to experience Area X.

Rez was easily my GOTY last year when i played it on PSVR.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hearing rez is 60hz locked, is this noticable when playing? I would think it would make a pretty significant impact considering the 90hz of the vive and rift vs 120 on the PSVR

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Archangel had a short exclusivity window. It's out on PC already. The only other major 'timed exclusive' psvr title I'm aware of is resi 7 at a year.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The Walrus posted:

I'm hearing rez is 60hz locked, is this noticable when playing? I would think it would make a pretty significant impact considering the 90hz of the vive and rift vs 120 on the PSVR

I was just watching the Digital Foundry video where they tested Rez on PC and they talk about the 60Hz stuff towards the end of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XhoqJdq1Mc

It sounds like "Area X" runs natively at 90 fps while the classic Rez areas 1-5 run at 60 but are presented at 90 through some sort of frame doubling? Not sure how big a deal this is in practice, but something to be aware of I guess.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

El Grillo posted:

Holy poo poo I really didn't think stuff like Rez was gonna make the jump. That's loving awesome!

Me neither, I could not be more pumped. Gonna grab it tonight and check it out.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Had another go at VTOL VR, it's still really good though the lack of features are getting more apparent. Trying to lock up targets is a bit difficult, though the HMD targetting system is cool as hell- a small screen drops over your right eye and displays a zoomable targeting camera that slaves to your helmet. I'm doubly down on my recommendation if it looks interesting, because it is, but it's also super Alpha build with barebones features.

I'll get some video recorded but the GeForce 'Shadowplay' recorder I'm using isn't picking up any audio if I set the Vive headset as the primary. Anyone got any experience with GeForce and recording VR?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Walrus posted:

Archangel had a short exclusivity window. It's out on PC already. The only other major 'timed exclusive' psvr title I'm aware of is resi 7 at a year.

Batman was PSVR-only at first, too.

The Walrus posted:

Rez on PSVR is running at 60 natively and pushed to 120 with ATW. The only native 120 game I know of is Polybius.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Batman was PSVR-only at first, too.

Rez on PSVR is running at 60 natively and pushed to 120 with ATW. The only native 120 game I know of is Polybius.

Oh yeah, Batman. Forgot about that. Think there was also Tethered now that I think of it.

And yeah, I know, but it's the imperfect shift from 60-90 that has be worried. I'll be getting Rez tomorrow I can report on it further if nobody has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Oh yeah, Batman. Forgot about that. Think there was also Tethered now that I think of it.

And yeah, I know, but it's the imperfect shift from 60-90 that has be worried. I'll be getting Rez tomorrow I can report on it further if nobody has.

I have it on vive. It's totally fine. If you are worried get it on steam which also supports occulus version and if you don't like it you can refund it.