Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

If we do a preemptive strike and Kim Jong Un dies, does North Korea immediately surrender? Or do they keep fighting?

This is the question that our President is asking himself at this very minute. It's basically the choice between a full on attack on the entire North Korean military and DMZ and Pyongyang or it's a surgical strike on the leadership and the nuclear weapons bases.

Thankfully he has a lot of smart and experienced military generals around him that he trusts and I believe they will give him sound advice. Either way it is a bad situation that unfortunately has come to a head after 16 years of failed policy initiatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Hollismason posted:

They don't actually have a ICBM with a Nuke though they have a test right.

QuoProQuid posted:

not yet, no

the worry is whether the united states tries to stop north korea before it gains this capability and if that would be preferable to a hostile country capable of killing millions at any moment

Demonstrably they have the bomb, and they have ICBMs that range the continental US. The question is can they get the bomb small enough to fit on the missile. The DIA thinks they can.

https://twitter.com/ExumAM/status/895075382310862848

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Phew, if God is okay with it

https://twitter.com/publicroad/status/895066260056281088

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
On an unrelated note, why is Neogaf such a cancerous place for discussing politics?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the risk to japan is that it will be turned into a sea of glass. sorry if that isnt the answer you want to hear, but im a straight shooter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Willo567 posted:

On an unrelated note, why is Neogaf such a cancerous place for discussing politics?

Because it's a forum about loving video games

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

g*d really needs to tone it down w/ the fire and fury pillars of salt stuff, its very irresponsible of him imho

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

At this point, very little. Kim may as well launch a nuke at the U.S.; it would have the same outcome for North Korea. Plus the Aegis BMD systems are considerably more effective than longer-range GMD systems.

They don't work against the same threat in the same way so it's hard to day that. BMD systems are variable based on type, location, phase, etc...

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

They magically find Un's long lost brother and he gives a speech that encourages his people to see this through to the bitter end.

Good thing he had him assassinated!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I'm not okay with this

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

Good thing he had him assassinated!

No, the other one

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I've been in the wilderness for almost a week and I'm not sure if that total isolation makes things seem crazier than they are, or if the world just went full madness while I was gone. :stare:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They magically find Un's long lost brother and he gives a speech that encourages his people to see this through to the bitter end.

Kim jong-chul is his full brother and is still active in the party, so no need for a long lost brother. That one got assassinated with VX.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Because it's a forum about loving video games

I know that, but there's literally no discussion. Half the time it's "But her emails", and whenever someone brings up a point to defuse tension about a topic, many people respond with "But Trump" instead of going into detail

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rime posted:

I've been in the wilderness for almost a week and I'm not sure if that total isolation makes things seem crazier than they are, or if the world just went full madness while I was gone. :stare:

same as it ever was

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Calibanibal posted:

g*d really needs to tone it down w/ the fire and fury pillars of salt stuff, its very irresponsible of him imho

i missed you

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Rime posted:

Go back. It's safer, and you'll need the practice for later anyway.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rime posted:

The last week has been pretty boring, honestly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ague Proof posted:

The last week has been pretty boring, honestly.

Except for the last 12 hours in which we've come closer to nuclear war than in any other point in (most of our) lifetimes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New statement from NK

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/895107295767662594

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is the piss tape out yet

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Your Taint posted:

Except for the last 12 hours in which we've come closer to nuclear war than in any other point in (most of our) lifetimes.

Oh right, that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Evergreen

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh great more escalation who would've guessed? Trump could you please stand down?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You know, there’s a not insignificant chance Kim Jong-un is killed by his own people. There are plenty of top North Korean generals who probably don’t want to die.

The North Korean method of punishing 3 generations of your family keeps people in line, unless you’re looking at all 3 generations perishing in nuclear hellfire.

Also if Kim is threatening Guam then his missiles can’t reach the continental US. Who the gently caress uses Guam as their bargaining chip?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Your Taint posted:

I thought we were all in our mid 30s and lived during the cold war? Isn't the whole reason SA politics chat better than most sites because it's a dead forum from 2000 that no one young posts on? But was too edgy to flood with grandpas with bad grandpa opinions?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Can the government forcibly shut down Twitter as a matter of national security for a few days? Either that or someone put a cone of shame on this idiot president so he can't tweet long enough for this to go away.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Literally all Trump needs to do is stop responding with more threats.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

There is a meaningful possibility that some conventional weapons are fired towards Japan, but it is unlikely this would be more than a token effort, because if it happens it's because things got hot and that means NK is going to very quickly have to throw everything it has at the South, and it will be losing massive amounts of hardware by the hour. There is an infinitesimally tiny, but non-zero, chance that they load a nuke onto a missile and fire it at Japan, but if they actually have the ability to do that it's vastly more likely to be flying towards the West Coast or to be used to try and gently caress up formations on land or at sea. In short, I wouldn't really worry, even if things get hot you'd have to be incredibly unlucky to get hurt if you're in Japan, as I believe a previous post of yours said. Your worst-case scenario is liable to be delays in flights because air travel is reduced or shut down temporarily.

Thank you, this put me at ease a bit. Yeah I'm in Tokyo, not that close to any of the bases. My wife is Japanese so i have her and all of my inlaws to worry about. I care about them and want to get them out of any harm's way.

It's a strange feeling when you see history take a course that for a change isn't just abstract but may directly affect you, I guess this is how people in many unstable parts of the world feel all the time...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Paradoxish posted:

Literally all Trump needs to do is stop responding with more threats.

But he's a counterpuncher :downs:

Shibawanko posted:

Thank you, this put me at ease a bit. Yeah I'm in Tokyo, not that close to any of the bases. My wife is Japanese so i have her and all of my inlaws to worry about. I care about them and want to get them out of any harm's way.

It's a strange feeling when you see history take a course that for a change isn't just abstract but may directly affect you, I guess this is how people in many unstable parts of the world feel all the time...

I'm not trying to alarm you but there is to my mind a fairly reasonable chance he launches attacks on Japan in case of war in order to try and force a military response and possibly force China to try and resolve things in his favor.

farraday fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 9, 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
IMO if this is all God's will then God needs to embrace Jesus

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

It sometimes still surprises me just how drat much of the Earth's surface area is the Pacific Ocean.

Stupid Eurocentric cartography.
Just for comparison

And what really matters, a view of the path a ballistic missile would travel to the US

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So what inappropriate Leonard Cohen lyrics will Brian Williams quote on air when the ICBMs start flying?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I thought we were all in our mid 30s and lived during the cold war? Isn't the whole reason SA politics chat better than most sites because it's a dead forum from 2000 that no one young posts on? But was too edgy to flood with grandpas with bad grandpa opinions?

I was born in 1981, so I was in 4th grade when the Soviet Union collapsed. Were we really under a constant threat of being nuked at any time by Russia? I was more concerned with what was on Nickelodeon back in 1990 rather than the geopoltical landscape.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 9, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GWBBQ posted:

Just for comparison

And what really matters, a view of the path a ballistic missile would travel to the US

I took a flight from LA to Australia about a week ago and used the time to watch all of westworld.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krispy Kareem posted:

You know, there’s a not insignificant chance Kim Jong-un is killed by his own people. There are plenty of top North Korean generals who probably don’t want to die.

Oh god can you imagine how much credit Trump would take for this if that happens? It would be like Reagan winning the cold war. Trump would be a drat national hero for "calling his bluff".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I took a flight from LA to Australia about a week ago and used the time to watch all of westworld.
How could've your laptop possibly last that long?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Your Taint posted:

I was born in 1981, so I was in 4th grade when the Soviet Union collapsed. Were we really under a constant threat of being nuked at any time by Russia?

Yeah kinda. I mean not every single day was the same exact level of threat about it but it was a real thing. Honestly it was generally treated as inevitable. A thing that was going to happen and it was a matter of time.

Just grow up watching this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8zNw6ONuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif-5cKg1Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVq76YvTPMs

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

Seatback screens my man... Also most airplanes now have outlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grouchio posted:

In flight entertainment. I also watched the first and last episode of "the good place" and that seems like a really bad show but I recommend watching it exactly that way: only the first and last episode and after not sleeping for like 37 hours.

• Locked thread